Rona survival guide Version 1.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:02 PM

Sooo OG old member here- ended up becoming an MD (medical doctor). Pseudo famous on Instagram (ppl are so annoying!) Here to help y'all lurkin peepz!

1) What iz rona?

Short for coronavirus. Its a nasty virus. I think you may have heard of it maybeh..

2) So about testing..

Well. Its hella complicated. As of 3/1/2021 I would not recommend going out of your way to get tested.

Why you ask? Many reasons. Main one is that most of the tests (rapid antigen etc.) are not updated to test for the nasty variants that are spreading.

You may end up with a false negative (very likely now, methinkz the reason for the fall in negative tests worldwide is not because ppl are less sick, but because we arent updating our testing protocols and whatnot)

3) ZoMG is it rlly that bad yo?

Yes. Stay inside, get an air filter with an ionizer and place a towel under your door. and get a plant (all this about oxygen.. Plants make oxygen for free... smh)

4) Vaccines?

I might get flamed, but I think personally staying inside and quarantining until things cool off is best.

Imagine going to get your vaccine, then getting rona cuz hella people around you are infected and getting their vaccine -_-;; smh

5) Mutations?

uhm.. well yeah. I dont think our immune systems can handle how fast this is mutating so until the mutations stabilize, vaccines are moot in my opinion. Stay home and play neopets.

6) What if I need to go out to work?

Tough.. I wouldnt recommend it now. I would stay home* and live off of savings and go unemployed if possible.

If you work in a high risk job, double mask and seal it. Super uncomfortable but it should help.

IMHO social distancing and double sealed mask > vaccines so do your best!

7) Secret med treatments?

ECA stack. Look it up on examine.com (it is a bronchodilator etc for you nerds. I had asthma and it helped tons)* If you haz heart issues or issues with stimulants watch out. Dont overdo it.

Also a corticosteroid inhaler helps too (in the US you need a prescription)

8) But I haz more questions

Message me. I am here for support! We will make it through this!

Edit:
Sorry about the typos- on my phone. Will edit later. I swear I can spell...

Edited by Mikes, 01 March 2021 - 03:05 PM.

#2 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

Man, this seems like terrible advice. I hope you aren't actually a medical doctor.

#3 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:04 PM

Indeed I am (in the United States too).

I actually specialize in Dermatology and did well on my board exams.

At the end of the day, you make your own health decisions :)

Good luck and I hope all is well!

#4 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:24 PM

For a medical professional, many of your statements are severely lacking in any sort of scientific basis or logic. Just a few thoughts off the cuff:

3. House plants produce a ridiculously negligible amount of Oxygen compared to the amount that a human breathes everyday. This makes no sense.

4. Most people already have to leave their house at least once a week, usually to go to a semi-crowded grocery store. Getting a vaccine will lower the odds of getting covid ~95%. If you do get still get covid, it decreases the worst symptoms & hospitalization odds significantly. Getting the vaccine is the only way we can get back to normal.

5. The vaccines we currently have are developed to target the spike protein that the Coronavirus uses to enter cells. Even if the virus mutates, the vaccine is likely to remain effective because of this - the virus cannot mutate this facet of itself without significantly reducing its infectious capabilities. Saying that vaccines are moot is ridiculous and goes against all the research we have that proves they are highly effective.

#5 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:24 AM

oh boy this is bad

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:03 PM

Quality chit-chat thread.

#7 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:52 AM

For a medical professional, many of your statements are severely lacking in any sort of scientific basis or logic. Just a few thoughts off the cuff:

3. House plants produce a ridiculously negligible amount of Oxygen compared to the amount that a human breathes everyday. This makes no sense.

4. Most people already have to leave their house at least once a week, usually to go to a semi-crowded grocery store. Getting a vaccine will lower the odds of getting covid ~95%. If you do get still get covid, it decreases the worst symptoms & hospitalization odds significantly. Getting the vaccine is the only way we can get back to normal.

5. The vaccines we currently have are developed to target the spike protein that the Coronavirus uses to enter cells. Even if the virus mutates, the vaccine is likely to remain effective because of this - the virus cannot mutate this facet of itself without significantly reducing its infectious capabilities. Saying that vaccines are moot is ridiculous and goes against all the research we have that proves they are highly effective.

This, especially the part about the vaccine targeting the spike protein that it uses to become infectious in the first place. Also, the most popular & effective vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna) don't actually contain the virus itself, they trigger the ability of the immune system to target the spike protein without actual exposure to the virus. 

Additionally - I want to add that most people cannot likely afford to stay home completely and even go unemployed just to ensure they don't go outside. I can work at home almost completely if I had to, but it is not possible for everyone. Certainly not for like, the next few months, until things get better.

Also, as it has already been said by Neoquest, things almost certainly won't get better, not completely, either globally or in the US or likely even in your respective country, until vaccines are sufficiently rolled out to enough of the populace. It is our best chance, please do not discredit them.

#8 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:38 AM

I hate to say this but, Dermatology is a different style of Medicine than an Infectious Disease Doctor/Virologist/Epidemiologist. You treat skin and skin diseases. Sure you had to take courses about viruses/etc but what you focus on is not viruses/pandemics/epidemics. It's kind of like a cardiologist trying to help cancer patients. Sure they're a doctor, but they're not an oncologist. If I have issues with my eyes, I'm not going to go to an ENT Doctor, I'm going to go to an Optometrist because the Optometrist specializes in eyes. They both doctors and medical professionals, but they're not the same! 

People need food to live. If they're low risk, young without health conditions, they'll go to the grocery store, wearing a mask. Delivery right now is incredibly full, due to the elderly and high risk needing that service the most. 

People need money to get the food they need to live. And in the US, many many jobs do not give you paid sick leave. They don't have a choice. They can't decide to not go to work, not get paid, and not be able to buy food they need to survive. Not all jobs can be done from home. I'm a banker, I can't shove you hard cash through the phone or your computer. You can't print hard cash from your computer, that's illegal. I have 0 ways to do my work from home, I have to be in the bank. I can't open up a checking account without having someone there to confirm ID, it's required by government law! 

Vaccines are needed. Even with variants, they can help slow down the spread of the first version we saw, and may be helpful in making the variants less effective if people do happen to catch them. A vaccine is better than not having one. Herd Immunity against even the first variant, will help save many lives. 

Dear god, how can any doctor tell anyone not to get the vaccine right now. 

I need to find a way to recreate the downvote button. 

#9 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:01 AM

I swear I can spell...

No, I don't think you can.

#10 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:57 PM

lol what the what did I just read? Is this where mango mussolini came after he was deplatformed by facebook and twitter? 

#11 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:55 AM

Yes, this is good.

#12 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2021 - 12:04 PM

Yes, this is good.

You're objectively dumb.

#13 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:55 PM

You're objectively dumb.

You're just mad that you're not as cute as I am.

#14 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:16 AM

I thought this was a joke lol what is 3 even you can't be serious

#15 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:25 PM

Lmao what the f**k did I just read

#16 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:03 AM

Okay Piles of Garbo, Listen up!

Neoquest, Uhm... are those even valid arguments bro?

3) I never said anything about replacing all O2 produced by a human, that is just preposterous! Plants have been shown to have other beneficial effects other than just replacing oxygen obvi. My main love of plants comes from the research that shows that when people have something to care for (BT dubbs, this research was done mostly on nursing home residents who end up dying of ennui mostly), it increases the feeling of autonomy and quality of life indicators. Most people in general cannot afford a pet or to have a kid, so a plant is a pragmatic option. IMHO getting a plant is a big decision for most peeps since it requires responsibility and will take some focus off the impending peril. 

4) "Most people" - first of all... I would venture that MAY be correct, but even so, it is not advisable. There is a bustling economy now for delivery drivers (even in* uber hard hit places like Brazil). In the USA, at least in my state, Instacart and many other companies like Walmart (my personal go to, its like $13 a month and they take foodstamps) are offering delivery services for groceries since it is such a HIGH RISK ACTIVITY. Do you really think grocery stores are taking proper precautions when they are losing money because of the pandemic? No. ALSO- Lets talk about the vaccine for a quick sec. The 95% rate was for the OG coronavirus not all these damn muttations! Unfortunately if you look at the research (plenty of published papers in peer reviewed journals) The vaccines are at best like 40-60% effective against the mutation from South Africa. The E484K or EEEEK mutation (its got a nickname, totes adorbs) is also worrisome... The Pfizer/Moderna vaccines would be the best, but I would advise caution as, until they are updated, will not give the 95% immunity promised. As an aside, The AstraZeneca vaccine is now not being used in South Africa because it does not seem to provide any benefits to patients (which means it does not help decrease disease severity or decrease mortality risk =()

5) "Highly effective" is only determined by Phase 3 trials done. I will not get into a lengthy explanation on this (I aced epidemiology and biostats in medical school)- As mentioned in the above statement, 95% is for the OG (original) coronavirus, and unfortunately, the spike protein isn't all that is worrisome. The main point of "immunity" is creating antibodies that fight infections. Pretty straightforward, but if the virus can ESCAPE IMMUNITY, we are screwed. I will not say the immunizations are not "highly effective", while they may be moderately effective, exposing yourself to the virus in order to obtain said vaccine is just dumb in my opinion. I would wait until things cool down to get one. Plus, it isn't even being offered to normal peeps yet, so wait your turn and make sure to take proper precautions when receiving it!

@Junjie - Things will get better. Honestly we don't even need the vaccine if people just listened... which they don't. This is why there is yet another wave in various countries right now and there will be another one upcoming in the USA (thanx spring breakers lol).

@KaibaSama - OH NO SHE BETTA DONT. Dermatology is the MOST COMPETITIVE* specialty within the United States (IT IS HARDER TO BE A DERMATOLOGIST THAN A NEUROSURGEON OR ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON - look at USMLE Step 1 scores)*. While we do specialize in skin, EVERYTHING affects the integumentary system (it is the largest organ system, after all). Also... Any MD or Medical Doctor is TRAINED in allergy, immunology, and infectious disease, which were my best subjects by far. I literally killed the Immunology board exam worse than rona is killin* us OKURR. So I know a lot about them. What a terrible argument btw. Oh, and Optometrists are NOT MDs, they are like eye techs, same as therapists or psychologists are not MDs (psychiatrists). Please read up on the medical fields before flaming me, ho. Ophthalmologists are the doctors of the eyes btw (also a very hard specialty to get into). 

@ all other hateful weebs. Ur trash. Sorry you aren't successful and only have your sad neopet to cling to. I am so glad I am not involved in this community anymore. 

#WeebTrash

You're just mad that you're not as cute as I am.

Yass lmao. Btw love Chihayafuru =) 

Edited by Mikes, 23 March 2021 - 09:09 AM.

#17 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2021 - 12:05 PM

I was going to type out a thoughtful response to your word vomit but damn you're stupid.

Go back to tumblr and stop LARPing as a physician. This isn't a roleplaying forum.

@ Mikes

#18 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:06 PM

Do you have any Pubmed literature/medical journals to back your claims?

I'm open to reading research written by licensed professionals with their livelihood on the line.

#19 4Neopets101

4Neopets101
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:17 PM

@Romy you sad piece of trash... I was too busy studying medicine to go on tumblr. Good luck with life. Banning doesnt count as a valid argument. Sadly old rotting trash like you will stay trash.

@Keil - I would have posted some links, but it seems like I was banned. Why would anyone want to help some sad neopets users? I was just trying to give back. Seems like yall are still bullies.

@everyone else- I know you are scared but bullying is not the answer. I forgive yall and wish you good luck! I still love neopets, just not* some of the users.

#TrashWillStayTrash

Godspeed! :)

Also: I am totes like a real doctor. #IamDrFreckles #IamDrChillMD #IamDrChampagne

Edited by 4Neopets101, 23 March 2021 - 04:18 PM.

#20 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2021 - 04:34 PM

@Romy you sad piece of trash... I was too busy studying medicine to go on tumblr. Good luck with life. Banning doesnt count as a valid argument. Sadly old rotting trash like you will stay trash.

@Keil - I would have posted some links, but it seems like I was banned. Why would anyone want to help some sad neopets users? I was just trying to give back. Seems like yall are still bullies.

@everyone else- I know you are scared but bullying is not the answer. I forgive yall and wish you good luck! I still love neopets, just not* some of the users.

#TrashWillStayTrash

Godspeed! :)

Also: I am totes like a real doctor. #IamDrFreckles #IamDrChillMD #IamDrChampagne

Actually, after looking at those tags man, you need help. I'm sorry for pushing your buttons. I'm sorry for being mean.

Please get some professional help.

Edited by Romy, 23 March 2021 - 04:39 PM.

#21 HappyAccident

HappyAccident
  • 408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:15 PM

Lmao what on earth is this

#22 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:28 PM

Lmao what on earth is this

Sad. It is just sad.

#23 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:59 PM

Well that was a ride.

#24 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:08 AM

Look on the bright side, at least he made this forum a bit more active lol

Edited by iKate, 24 March 2021 - 02:08 AM.

#25 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:27 AM

The last time I was exposed to so much fake information and dumbfuckery was in Trumps last tweets, and everything that loser said prior to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users