Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:59 AM

01. Disruption of continuity
02. Inappropriate use of OOC knowledge
03. Uunrealistic response to another character's actions
04. Unrealistic or unauthorized control of another player's character
05. An instant kill move
06. Spamming, flamming

1. What is a disruption of continuity?

In the context of this RPG, a disruption of continuity is when one post contradicts the content of a previous post or completely ignores it. This also applies to any post that acknowledges the content of an Invalid Post. Example...

Post #1:

Nick Fury

In the darkness of night, Nick was certain that he could cut loose and be hi'mself for a change. Ripping off his shoes, he proceeded to tiptoe through the tulips.

"Tra, la, la," Nick sang to hi'mself merrily.

Post #2:

Dark Phoenix

It was a sunny afternoon when Jean entered the pretty garden. She grinned in amusement at the sight of Nick Fury tiptoeing through the tulips. Before he had a chance to notice her, she hid behind a bush so that he wouldn't see her pointing and laughing at hi'm.

Post #3:

Nick Fury

Nick Fury brought his tiptoeing to a halt as the bright sunlight began to irritate his eyes. He raised an eyebrow, certain that he could hear someone giggling nearby. His cheeks blushed with embarrassment.

"Who's there?"

Post #2 is invalid because Nick Fury makes it quite clear that it is night, but Dark Phoenix says that it's the afternoon.

Post #3 is also invalid. Not only did Nick Fury acknowledge Dark Phoenix's post, he accepted her disruption of continuity as the new reality. It doesn't matter if it was his post that she disrupted. In this situation, Post #2 and Post #3 will require editing and/or deletion.

Here is what Nick Fury should have done...

Post #2:

Dark Phoenix

It was a sunny afternoon when Jean entered the pretty garden. She grinned in amusement at the sight of Nick Fury tiptoeing through the tulips. Before he had a chance to notice her, she hid behind a bush so that he wouldn't see her pointing and laughing at hi'm.

Post #3:

Nick Fury

OOC: Dark Phoenix, it's the middle of the night but you just said that it's day. Please fix your post. I will follow this up with BIC content as soon as you do. Thanks!

BIC:

2. What is inappropriate use of OOC knowledge?

This is when a character knows or senses something when it's I'mpossible for them to do so. This usually happens when the player has knowledge of something about the game that the character doesn't have. Example...

Post #1:

Doc

Doc regarded the man seated next to hi'm with disdain. While the two had never met before, he recognized hi'm from a picture accompanying a newspaper article he'd read less than a week ago. His name was Nick Fury. Doc was tempted to reach out and heal his eye, but then thought better of it.

The less information Generation X has about me or my powers the better.

Post #2:

Nick Fury

Nick Fury's face held an expression of hope as the albino mutant sat down beside hi'm. With a hint of desperation in his voice, he rested a hand on the young man's arm as he addressed hi'm.

"I've heard from a very reliable source that your name is Doc and that you're a healer. Would you mind healing my eye for me?"

Post #1 is acceptable. While Doc has never met Nick Fury before, he gives a perfectly believable and likely explanation as to how he knows who he is.

Post #2 is invalid. Is there any way for Nick Fury to know who Doc is without having met hi'm before? Yes, of course. It's possible that he really could have obtained this information from a reliable source, such as a high level telepath like Charles Xavier. Si'mply saying that he learned it from a "reliable source" doesn't cut it though. Even if Nick couldn't tell Doc that Xavier was his source, he still could have told the reader. Whether or not this was an intentional misuse of OOC knowledge or an accident is not I'mportant -- it has to be fixed.

Here is what Nick Fury should have done...

Post #2:

Nick Fury

Nick Fury's face held an expression of hope as the albino mutant sat down beside hi'm. Generation X had Jean Grey keeping telepathic tabs on the members of Abysmal Knights since the organization had first formed. While he had possessed knowledge of this man's identity and mutation for the past six months, this was the first ti'me he had an opportunity to speak with hi'm under friendly circumstances.

With a hint of desperation in his voice, Nick rested a hand on the young man's arm as he addressed hi'm. "I've heard from a very reliable source that your name is Doc and that you're a healer. Would you mind healing my eye for me?"

3. What is an unrealistic response to another character's actions?

This should be pretty self-explanatory. Just in case anyone's confused by what this could mean, we'll give you an example.

Post #1:

Cable

Sparks shot out of the Cable's left eye. Enraged by the sight of his beloved coffeemaker smashed into what seemed like a thousand tiny pieces, he could think of nothing but revenge. His predatory glare shifted from the pile of useless plastic to Ti'me Bomb.

"I KEEEL YOU BEEYATCH!!!"

Cable pulled back his metal arm and punched the petite girl in the back of the head, near the base of the skull.

Post #2:

Ti'me Bomb

"Ouch!"

Gently rubbing the back of her head, Ti'me Bomb shot Cable a scornful glare. She couldn't believe he'd react so violently to something so insignificant.

It's just a damn coffeemaker. He has a maxi'mum security storage closet full of them. Freak!

Post #2 is invalid because Ti'me Bomb is clearly downplaying the injury that Cable inflicted upon her. She's a thin, petite girl who was hit in the back of the head by a 350 lbs. man with a metal fist. She should have been completely knocked out for the entirety of at least one post, if not two.

4. What is unrealistic or unauthorized control of another player's character?

Unrealistic/Unauthorized Control: Ti'me Bomb asking Doc to leap onto a table and dance a jig, then describing hi'm doing it in her own post prior to his reply would be unrealistic control of his character. It's very likely that Doc would refuse to do such a thing. Even if he did agree to it, there is nothing guaranteeing that he would do it exactly as she described it. The only way such a post wouldn't be considered invalid is if she received permission from the person who plays Doc in the game.

Note: In a fight or battle situation, you would need permission from both the player and one of the moderators in order to control someone else's character.

5. What is an instant kill move?

a. Any injury that will permanently disable or disfigure a character (stabbing eyes, chopping off legs, etc)

b. Any single injury that a character could not survive.

c. Any attack that will incapacitate a character for more than 5 posts.

6. Name calling, hostile language, and/or personal attacks are not permitted. Such behavior may lead to suspension of your account (your post will be rejected in-game). One of the goals of this game is to provide X-Men fans with an environment free of homophobes and canon weenies.

Before you start you might wana read the X-Men Legends Storyline and Posting Guidelines

Credits given to X-Men Forums for the rules

Edited by ShadowSaint, 08 February 2005 - 07:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users