Photo

IRC tutorial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 BlackHawk

BlackHawk
  • 1676 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:29 PM

This tut covers basic IRC usage ONLY. NO xdcc/fserv :)

First go get an IRC client. I use IceChat, and u can dl it here. Install and run it (you DO know how to do that, don't you? :) )

Now you may want to mess with the options, but that's not recommended :D Instead type in '/joinserv irc.kamikazee.org #someemptytestchannel' (w/o quotes, and change the name after the '#' to something different - you want to join an EMPTY nonexistent channel for testing). This is the ti'me to learn the commands and set up your nick.

IRC commands (the ones u need :p ):
- /nick [nick] - sets your nick to whatever u want, if the nick's already registered then u'll either need to confirm that (see below) or choose another nick...
- /msg nickserv register [the password you want] [the email you want] (note: do that AFTER setting the wanted nickname!)
- /msg nickserv identify [ur password] - this must be done AFTER using /nick [ur nick] to set yer nick, and it tells the server that you're the owner of that nick and not someone else :p
- /joinserv [servername] [channelname] - on IceChat this connects you to the server u want and automatically joins the channel u specified... on other irc clients use first /server [servername] and then /join [channelname] to do that :offtopic:
Notes:
1. Passwords and nicks are CaSe-SeNsItIvE!!!
2. You MUST register the nickname and identify urself every ti'me u enter our channel to be given +o/+v status (if you're allowed that anyway :p )
3. To join our channel, the server name is irc.kamikazee.org and the channel name is #ncodex

This is all you know to get there. Good luck! <_<

#2 Darkness

Darkness
  • 1432 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Sloth, that helps alot :p

#3 powerman5000

powerman5000
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:52 PM

yeah thanks! I finally figured the damn thing out

#4 Darkness

Darkness
  • 1432 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:50 PM

nope, never mind, I'm too stupid. I still don't understand, so I won't participate, I'm cool with that :p

#5 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:40 AM

You should set up a java client such as jIRC for those that can't connect using a regular client.

#6 BlackHawk

BlackHawk
  • 1676 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:27 AM

You should set up a java client such as jIRC for those that can't connect using a regular client.

The jscript clients SUCK A LOT!!! :offtopic:
We're not  planning to do that anyti'me soon... if ever :lac:

#7 Stephen

Stephen
  • 3527 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2004 - 12:55 AM

Meh get mirc its alot easier

#8 XenoCyde

XenoCyde
  • 4223 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:54 AM

Cool :drool:

Edited by Xenocyde, 31 May 2004 - 07:54 AM.

#9 Neo

Neo
  • 2032 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 06:47 AM

when I start up the irc, it says searching for ice chat update, and stays like that and does nothing :)

#10 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:21 AM

Connection closed from irc.kamikaze.org

what does this mean?

#11 BlackHawk

BlackHawk
  • 1676 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

when I start up the irc, it says searching for ice chat update, and stays like that and does nothing ;)

Weird... I was getting that too, but I found some way around it... don't remember it now though :huh:

by the way... "Connection closed from irc.kamikaze.org" dude, wrong server... it has two 'e' at the end (kamikazee) ;)

#12 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2004 - 01:24 PM

by the way... "Connection closed from irc.kamikaze.org" dude, wrong server... it has two 'e' at the end (kamikazee) 

Silly me!!! Thanks Dr.Sloth for helpin me out (damn myself, and my follishness!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users