Photo

3 Programs Every Computer Should Have

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Faisal

Faisal
  • 1989 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:45 AM

Trojan Hunter & TDS-3 are two other excellent antivirus apps. Unfortunately, they're rather expensive. Kaspersky is of course a good one, but I'd avoid any Norton product like the plague.

View Post

yep. I agree  :p   :ermm:

#27 Guest_unused_*

Guest_unused_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

I use
pest patrol
detects viruses
detects adware
is a firewall
detects progs trying to add themselves to startup
it actually stops adware from entering ur pc rather than detecting it after its in

#28 MosNanDa

MosNanDa
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 04:26 AM

Nice guide, it would be funny seeing somone with no antivirus <_<

#29 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:32 PM

Well, I just got Firefox a couple days ago, and I was told that it has its own firewall. I also have system suit firewall, which is ok. So far I have had no problems with the two firewalls attacking each other. This leads me to question whether or not there is any firewall. I don't really care if there is, because I haven't gotten anything malicious lately.

#30 eventwilight

eventwilight
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 08:13 PM

Microsoft has a new anti spyware program that's in Beta right now, oddly enough it works really well too. It picked up on a trojan that adaware and spybot missed and a few other things. It also has an active scanner like norton but it doesn't slow down your computer either. I really like it, it works well.

#31 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:01 AM

I don't really understand why everyone hates norton.
I'm running it, as my dad has a lifeti'me subscription. You say it takes up so many resources - really? I'm checking my processes right now and NAV is taking 5,068k of the memory, while firefox is taking 98,128k of the memory.
Being as the task manager takes 4,888k of the memory itself, I really don't think thats very much.
I can sure move my mouse properly.

note that the above figures were taken on a machine with 512 ram

#32 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:06 AM

Yeah - Microsoft's new product is actually Giant's spyware and yeah, it's pretty good, it has been slated because it picks up a few other anti-spyware products as infected :rolleyes: but that's M$ for ya

as for norton It's not the memory that's the big hit, it's the amount of cpu cycles it chews when you're doing anything

#33 Jamie

Jamie
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:11 AM

Nice guide, it would be funny seeing somone with no antivirus :p

View Post

I know alot of people on codex with no anti virus

#34 upper

upper
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:23 PM

I got no antivirus because I never download anything my friend didnt download lol

#35 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

I have no direct AV, but my firewall doesn't let anything through without me knowing about it. It even has to ask if I wan't to download something from popular sites. Also, anyti'me a process or application wants to connect to the internet or the network, it has to ask. That could get really annoying, except I can tell it to always accept certain programs and processes. I like it :)

#36 mom3ntum

mom3ntum
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:27 AM

I suggest using NOD32. I was a user of Kaspersky before, but it lagged my computer at times when I played games. NOD32 is just as effective, if not more, than Kaspersky. It has a built in function that doesn't scan a file if it has already been scanned before and has been unmodified.

#37 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:04 AM

is kaspersky better than McAfee?

#38 ubercow

ubercow
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

If you're worried about viruses you have four options:

1. Skip the pr0n, and only download from sources like neocodex that check the programs.
2. Buy a Mac
3. Get AntiVir, and Spybot. Coupled together you shouldn't have too many problems. But #1 still applies in this case.
4. Get a Life off of the internet, get a real pet, get a real community....as if. =P

#39 Redblade

Redblade
  • 1459 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:34 AM

hmm...imo..norton hogs up system mem...i've got trend micro...not quite bad actually..it has vulnerability checks which help u know how vulnerable ur OS is..then u can get it off by downloading patches frm microsoft update itself...btw, heard tat BitDefender's firewall are quite unstable..not sure bout that...

#40 EGutierrez91

EGutierrez91
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:12 AM

Best anti-virus I've used is Kapersky. They have the latest virus definitions and it has caught things other Scanners haven't.

I highly recommend those programs. They help against anything. Also, make sure to use HiJackThis! along with other items to ensure the safety of your PC. Make sure to have HiJackThis! logs checked by professionals.

#41 FearTheTerp

FearTheTerp
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

Kaspersky is the best i've used as well. Light on resources and very in-depth in it's search.

#42 Greeny

Greeny
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

1. Kaspersky internet security tongue.gif
2. Nod 32
3. Trend Micro

Thats my rating

#43 zachafer

zachafer
  • 1566 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

how about avast antivirus
spybot s&d
codexchecks =D

#44 bjquick

bjquick
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

1) Trend Micro
2) spybot sd
3) pro evoultion 6 tongue.gif

i had kaspersky and i got a virus that it didnt detect and made it not detect any spyware or viruses. Then my comp crashed got rid of everythink even cs2. Trend Micro is really good $99aus will get u 3 computers covered with it for a year. updates 5 times a day. has its owe firewall. And the online service is great.

#45 zachafer

zachafer
  • 1566 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

ahh trend micro sucks big time sorry man. wats pro evolution?

#46 Greeny

Greeny
  • 603 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:15 PM

I cant comment on trendo micro, never used it. And kaspersky, I am sure updates 5 times or more. What did you download to get it to delete your pc?

#47 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

i got trend micro pc-illin 14, its good

#48 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:11 AM

Anti-Viruses-1.BitDefender 10-Supposed to be top of the line, allinone av, firewall, antispyware, spam blocker. Best money can buy. Havent tried it though.
2.NOD32- Excellent top of the line antivirus. Doesnt consume much system resources as the big names in the game and very reliable and easy to use. Havent had any problems with it. Look hard enough and you can find a full fix for it.
3.Kaspersky-Supposed to be excellent as well but havent installed it yet. Look hard enough and you can find a full fix for this too.
4.AVG-Pretty great as well and doesnt consume much system resources. Only tried the free version and havent yet looked for a fix full version. McAffee is slightly better than this but it runs light. Excellent for older computers.
5.Mcaffee. No problems running it. Big resources user though compared to others. Reliable. Uninstalled since free 3 month thing ran out.

Firewall-
Agnitum Outpost-Can sometimes be a bitch if you dont know wat your doing but very easy to use and very reliable. Look hard enough to find a fix for it.
ZoneAlarm-Never tried but supposed to be as reliable and secure as Outpost except its free.

#49 traderonline

traderonline
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

all these are must haves except for Norton/Mcafee. Norton is a total resource eater and it will slow down your computer. I recommend AVG Internet security (worth paying)

or you can have AVG free along with Zone Alarm (ZA is not recommended if you are using ICS)

#50 seanzi

seanzi
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(traderonline @ Mar 6 2007, 10:19 PM) View Post
all these are must haves except for Norton/Mcafee. Norton is a total resource eater and it will slow down your computer. I recommend AVG Internet security (worth paying)

or you can have AVG free along with Zone Alarm (ZA is not recommended if you are using ICS)

1. Personally i would go with NOD32.. i have been using it for years and never had one problem.
2. I have a hardware firewall and again never had any problems, disable the windows POS!
3. I use windows defender and it seems to do the job and keeps everything running smooth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users