Photo

Raising The Post Count

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Zero DeLocke

Zero DeLocke
  • 2087 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'm not sure if it is posted in any rules, but we all know that you need at least one post in order to download any of the programs. In my opinion, one is not enough. While I have not made any programs, I don't like seeing other people's programs just leeched off by some random user. I know it would be an inconvinience for some people who really are wanting to be active in the community and want to share in our programs if the post requirement was raised. My suggestion is this, raise the post count requirement to at least 100. I know it sounds steep, but this would ward off many potential spammers/leechers. Less than that would make a huge influx in spamming to reach the designated post count, and any more than 100 would start to be a drag on those who are interested in staying. I think that 100 posts is fair to everybody. I think that even those users who had planned on being a leecher being forced to participate in discussions might change their minds and wind up sticking around after said post count. I hate seeing threads started or posts made saying, "I cant dl [insert program name here]!!!oneone123! Can any1 help me? :devil: :devil: " and knowing that they leave as soon as they realize that thier one idiotic post actually opened the doors for them. I would think that if I were a programmer that I would like to see my programs actually given to people who appreciate it. That's just me. If there is something that makes it so that the post requirement cannot be chnaged, then just disregard all that I've said. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I know its a bit longwinded. xD

Feedback?

edited for typos

Edited by Zero DeLocke, 06 December 2005 - 10:00 PM.

#2 Curse

Curse
  • 1143 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:11 PM

I could NOT agree more. This idea is perfect, I am planning to program and I don't want people begging. The moral is "If you have a good job you get good money, but to get the good job, you must first work hard."

#3 cokiwah

cokiwah
  • 1655 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:57 PM

I disagree... if they come for programs, let them be, after all as EVERYONE says codex is more than just downloads, so if they wanna chat, let them, if they don't let us be a resource bank, restrictions around something like that will ward people away. I came for the programs, I quit Neopets... soooo it was fine for me (back when registrations opened you needed 25 posts, so I spammed to 25 posts, used the programs, quit codex, came back 2 weeks later on accident to use more programs, then just started randomly posted and like it). So if you people be free, they will eventually post and like... if not then wow big deal, why not let them download? It's not hurting us...

#4 soulforger

soulforger
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:11 AM

I'm neutral on this... Though we all don't like leecher, but who know later they make return back and actully like codex?

Actually high post count restriction may get people out from here and as long as those programs didn't cause too much chao (item duper)/ taking profit out of other legit users too much (abing), why not amuse them by our program?

Edited by Soul Forger, 07 December 2005 - 06:31 PM.

#5 Eggy

Eggy
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user.

• 1783 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:30 AM

Well. I say leave it as it is. Hell, alot of us came here for the downloads when we were just starting out. If the post count is raised, it might discourage some members, and we might lose the member who might become the next ghandi or somethin like that

#6 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:05 AM

Its not specifically one post.

Its a mixture of things that determines wether you can use programs, although to be honest it does not seem to be working admins.

Was it not a script where a members posts, length of posts and time at community was put towards the use of programs here at Codex. As I have saw many members with one post using programs.

#7 Zero DeLocke

Zero DeLocke
  • 2087 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:15 AM

The most important point I am trying to make is for the programmers. Warding off leechers and the such is only a byproduct of my original intent. As Cerberus and jocxo stated, hard work going into programs shouldn't be wasted on people who will not show appreciation. I'm not talking outright praise or anything like that, but by simply contributing to the Codex. I think that is a small price to pay for the use of our programs.

Another idea ading to what I said earlier. I know this would require a bit of work for mods/admins, so I understand if this idea isn't able to be done. Having the post count at 100 would make it so that posts would be widly seen and a person can be judged on whether or not they are worthy to access the programs. You can tell if someone is trying to spam to 100 posts and if that is the case, a mod/admin can restrict use of programs beyond the 100 posts. This would force leechers to actually contribute in some way in order to "pay" for the use of programs. I know it would be quite impossible to keep track of all the spammers/leechers, but like I said, just another idea.

#8 Baked

Baked
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:56 PM

Bleurgh. Let 'em have 'em.

It's only programs, right?

#9 Aaron

Aaron
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:14 PM

Bleurgh. Let 'em have 'em.
It's only programs, right?

Agreed,im sure after awhile they will relise how good the community is and stay :)

#10 Tim

Tim
  • 2795 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:36 PM

I think it should be raised, but not up to 100. I think 25 would be a good number, though. I just wrote up a big message, and hit some key and it erased it all, and now I can't remember what I said, but.... yeah.

Ooh yeah! The main reason I think 1 post is way too low, is because I see a lot of new members with 0 posts making their first post welcoming others to codex, and their post is always one word: Welcome.

They should at least have to make some meaningful posts -_-

#11 X23X

X23X
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:39 PM

why cant we do like 50 posts

#12 DaMaG3

DaMaG3
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

Well...if you let them download the programs, they'll keep coming back and posting, some more than others, and of course the posts will be genuine, not just 50 posts of spam so they can download :p

#13 Zero DeLocke

Zero DeLocke
  • 2087 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

After all is said, I think that the post limit should be raised. 25, 50, or 100. I do not think one is enough.

#14 Curse

Curse
  • 1143 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:14 PM

We should raise it to 40; also, they must not be spammish posts. Admins can write a modification where when a user hits 40 posts. The modification calculates the average amount of good posts he has made. So lets say he makes 10 Spammy posts that are maybe a minimum of 15 letters. And he makes 30 Good posts. It will give an average post count and it will tell the user how much more you need to contribute etc.

#15 Archon

Archon
  • 2142 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

We should raise it to 40; also, they must not be spammish posts. Admins can write a modification where when a user hits 40 posts. The modification calculates the average amount of good posts he has made. So lets say he makes 10 Spammy posts that are maybe a minimum of 15 letters. And he makes 30 Good posts. It will give an average post count and it will tell the user how much more you need to contribute etc.

I think 15 letters is still even a little low average, but thats a good idea. I don't think it should say how much they need to contribute then they can easily just say pretty drawn out sentences.

#16 Zero DeLocke

Zero DeLocke
  • 2087 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:58 PM

I love this idea. There are so many ways we can enhance the quality of people who float through here. I need to bring this to the attention of an admin and see what they think...

#17 cokiwah

cokiwah
  • 1655 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

That's like forcing them to post to get programs, should be out of their own free will to contribute to the community or not... this is what makes codex superior to other sites - is that we allow the members to be free and not under such tight restrictions.

Just like when I went to 3vo, signed up, saw no programs, so I left. xD!

#18 Curse

Curse
  • 1143 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

That's like forcing them to post to get programs, should be out of their own free will to contribute to the community or not... this is what makes codex superior to other sites - is that we allow the members to be free and not under such tight restrictions.

Just like when I went to 3vo, signed up, saw no programs, so I left. xD!

You obviously do not know what it feels to have leechers munch on your programs as you have never made one before.

#19 cokiwah

cokiwah
  • 1655 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

You obviously do not know what it feels to have leechers munch on your programs as you have never made one before.

How can you say that? I have never said anything to you about programming before. I made a video game before, doesn't that count as a program? :WTF:

#20 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

I've always felt like this. I think it should be at least 25 posts. On neotwist, its even 15 posts before you can even put a link...

#21 soulforger

soulforger
  • 377 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

I'm happy when my little program help somebody and light up their day :D

Let 'em have 'em. (like what pete said)

#22 Curse

Curse
  • 1143 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

How can you say that? I have never said anything to you about programming before. I made a video game before, doesn't that count as a program? :WTF:

It's nothing against you, and it wasen't mean't to be rude.

#23 Zero DeLocke

Zero DeLocke
  • 2087 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:57 PM

So, to all the programmers who say let them have them, you are okay with giving your hard work away? The idea of some stranger coming up and taking it and never returning is appealing to you? I know the Codexchecks will make them come back because they are not clever enough to figure it out, but the principle behind it is that of apathy. They don't care enough to show any appreciation for NeoCodex. Not for the Forum, the members, or the programs they abuse. Sticking around and showing some courtesy is the least they can do before they leave.

I'll reiterate. I am no programmer, but I can imagine what it would feel like if I made something for everybody to use and getting no appreciation. That would almost deter me from releasing anything else to the public. The more I think about it, if I made any programs, I would like them to go to the Private area for just to avoid leechers. I know it would disheartened the loyal Members of Codex, but it is a matter of respect. If any programmers here actually do that, I can understand. At the risk of sounding like an ass, I would rather reward the loyal few than cater to everybody and gamble with the chance of attracting leechers.

I digress. I realize that Codex will always have its leechers and spammers, but I would like it to be just a little harder for them to do it. I would just feel a little better knowing that they had to "waste" an hour of their time spamming us in order to get some programs. Having them come back in 10 minutes trying to figure out how the Checks works makes me feel better too. :D

#24 Eggy

Eggy
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user.

• 1783 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:17 AM

But the number of posts set aside, even if it is increased. How many of those posts will be good, contributing posts?

#25 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:26 AM

As long as I get thanks off atleast one member then I dont give a damn what happens to my programs :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users