Quantcast

Photo

Token Minoritys

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Token Minoritys

Is it racist?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Eggy

Eggy
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user.

• 1783 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:39 PM

Do you think having token minoritys on tv shows is racist? Its been bothering me for some time...

#2 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:56 PM

Whatever, that's just so they can air it.

Yeah, I could care less. Though it's funny when the 'black guy dies first' trend initiated,

#3 Will

Will
  • 2229 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:04 AM

Nope :) I like my TV shows nice and predictable. Having "token" characters insures guessable plots. ;)

#4 Zero DeLocke

Zero DeLocke
  • 2087 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:00 AM

I think it is more political oriented. Of sorts. Ah... The people running the show want to get as many people watching it, so they add different minorities to try and get that group of people to watch it as well. Is there a racial tone? I don't believe so. Its just to try and maximize and profits, that's all.

#5 Freddy

Freddy
  • 5500 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:35 PM

it can be racist because of the context that is used wherever it may be

#6 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

Toking Minorities I'm assuming... anyways no I really don't take offense to it... :rolleyes:

No... he means shows that include a minority character just so they can say they did. Like Not Another Teen Movie (hated the movie, except for the Token Black Guy [quite ironically]) had a token black character, and they made fun of other teen movies for having one when they never seem to play major roles.

I think its funny. Especially when really talented minorities actually have major roles, and totally piss on the network execs. Take Samuel L. Jackson. Most of his movies have a token White guy (hello irony, how are you?).

Blah... I'm in a wierd mood.

#7 casecloser

casecloser
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

All good shows need token minoities, because how many adventures can 6 young white people in new york have before it gets old(apparently ten seasons worth).

#8 Will

Will
  • 2229 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:29 AM

All good shows need token minoities, because how many adventures can 6 young white people in new york have before it gets old(apparently ten seasons worth).

Mmk don't you be hatin' on Friends. That was the best show of this century. <_<

#9 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:47 PM

Like Not Another Teen Movie (hated the movie, except for the Token Black Guy [quite ironically]) had a token black character, and they made fun of other teen movies for having one when they never seem to play major roles.

Pft...that's wack.

Anyway, it does sometimes bother me.

#10 SupermanFTM

SupermanFTM
  • 5817 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:20 PM

Comedies thrive on those kind of things though. I don't think it's racist, it's to maximize profits, and play out as entertaining, which it usually is. Also, there are shows with negative connoctations for every type of person, so it balances out ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users