Scouts - Limited To Gays And Atheists?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

I'm an atheist. So I got banned from scouts days before I got my eagle two years ago. I got incredibly pissed off and finally got the ceremony a year ago, but I had to go to a scouting group 200 miles away to get it.

Should gays and atheists be allowed to join 'Boy scouts'? I simply believe so. The benefits of scouting help overall for resumes and College applications too. Even if it was considered a private club originally, the past tense has become so public, it's not worth banning someone for their sexuality/religion. Ho hum. ^_^

#2 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

gays shouldnt, atheists should... the gay might have a scout fetish O_o lol just kidding... I don't know... atheists is nothing wrong with em...

#3 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

They can do whatever they want. They are not a government funded group or a business, they are a Christian group. *shrug*

It may be offensive to some but... again they can do what they want. No one can regulate it. Because of this contraversy they may lose members, but other than that well... since they are doing nothing illegal by doing that then no one can do anything about it.

#4 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

Being a christian group, you would think that they would want to keep the atheist around, that's how my church worked.
I can see the pro's and cons to gay guys being in boy scouts. On one hand, hey they just want to be a damn boy scout, on the other the reason why the scouts are seperated by sex is so that you can concentrate on your task, not your newest crush. They can't very well send the gay guys to the Girl scouts and the lesbians to the boy scouts. =/ I don't know, really just everyone that wants to be in, should be.

Nothing can be done though. =/

#5 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:07 PM

They can do whatever they want. They are not a government funded group or a business, they are a Christian group. *shrug*

It may be offensive to some but... again they can do what they want. No one can regulate it. Because of this contraversy they may lose members, but other than that well... since they are doing nothing illegal by doing that then no one can do anything about it.

Point taken. But I believe it shouldn't be so publicized case be.

At least they don't ban all Non-Christians, but if someone doesn't ever tell their troop (If it is opposing) they're homosexual or another religion then christianity, they wouldn't get kicked.

Oh yeah, and last time I checked, the goverment did fund some resources for them to say the least.

#6 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:44 PM

Scouts as in Scouts that were formed by Baden-Powell? *Ish confused by things on the other side of the Atlantic*

Yes. The wee americansies stole the name, the symbols, everything except the helpfulness, attitude, and generally anything else you'd want from the program. I did learn how to tie a knot while I was there though. I can't for the life of me remember what its called, but I digress...

#7 Eggy

Eggy
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user.

• 1783 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

Isnt that segregation? Cant you sue them?

#8 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

Baden-Powell being one of the most widely discussed (repressed) homosexuals in history as well as a possible paedophile?
Doesn't really have the right to deny gays being members does it?

Especially when they make such history notations of powell being a scout ^_^ and saying he created scouting and one of his friends ported it here <_<

#9 Lemonblood

Lemonblood
  • 2830 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

I'm an atheist, I'm criticised for my views too...

'about scouts, they're evil, dun bother man.

#10 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

Yes.

#11 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:46 PM

Would you sue a church for not letting homosexuals be pastors? The fact is... they're obeying laws. They can segregate all they want. But where it HURTS is that they'll lose members over it. *shrug*

#12 |nfinite

|nfinite
  • 181 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:49 AM

Does this remind anybody of that one episode of South Park?

Sorry, just a random somewhat relevant thought.

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:03 AM

If it's American/in American, you can bet your bollocks to a barndance you can sue.

#14 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:25 AM

if you sue, youll lose. anyway, what kind of bastard sues a CHURCH? Homer Simpson. LOL that was a funny episode.

#15 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:53 AM

Does this remind anybody of that one episode of South Park?

Sorry, just a random somewhat relevant thought.

LOL Yeah. Yeah, but it's true though.

It's not a church O.o It's just a club. But Segregation of Religion and Sexuality (especially homosexuality since its something you cant change.) could be an argumentive case.

#16 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

Aaaaaaaaaand... the Masons are a club too... you gonna sue them as well?

#17 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

Aaaaaaaaaand... the Masons are a club too... you gonna sue them as well?

But do the Masons limit their membership to strait christians?

#18 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:36 AM

Yep yep yep. They're a religious Christian group, so...

#19 |nfinite

|nfinite
  • 181 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:14 PM

Basically anything that represents anti-Christians way or supports Homosexuals is wrong.

That's not my view, that's a fact.

#20 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

It's not nessecarily anti christianity. Transitoary tendencies is natural, but those who support the gay culture aren't allowed.

Then again, it is a choice to live that lifestyle. So its understandable in a way. Urges being held off are pretty bad though.

Atheism - meh. I go to a church every week and I dont believe in a god. Still, I'm allowed to participate in activity because the church welcomes everyone.

#21 Toasty

Toasty
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

Erm...who would want to join the boy scouts anyway? I see it as very pointless, as you really won't need the stuff in the real world, but whatever floats your boat.

And the Boys scouts is mainly on getting through life and stuff, so ays and atheists should be allowed. Just cause they're a little differend and believe in different things doesn't mean they should be excluded.

Yay for gays and atheists...

#22 Toasty

Toasty
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:26 PM

How'd that happen, Ali?

My little sister is Jewish and she's still in it...I don't know if they know she's jewish though.

And my little brother is jewish too, and he's in boy scouts

(Step-siblings)

#23 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

I refused to participate in church parade. They didn't like that.

Owned?

Well the fact is, you can join christianity and live a heterosexual lifestyle at any time. I don't mind the idea of just the leaders being openly christian and heterosexual, spreading christianity. But FORCING people to have to live a certain lifestyle just to get into some club. Ugh, it seems like CENSOREDing high school cliques.

Edited by Radon, 23 December 2005 - 02:43 PM.

#24 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:47 PM

True. Well they haven't banned all gays and non Christians. However, most churches require it them in order to endorse them.

#25 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

Well you have to realize everyone is different, and there are alot of people who say they are christian and lead a bad life, then other people see this an instantly sterotype christians. It happens to much I have to say. So the Boy Scouts have the right to deny others, it may not be right in your view, but just please don't widen that view to just any general christian.

So non-christians can't be morally minded? And why is there a section in my old book called Awards and Recognition that includes a listing (with pictures) of Religious emblems obtainable by scouts NOT of the Christian faith? It includes the Budhist Sangha award, the Baha`I` Unity of Mankind award, the Hindu Dharma award, the Islamic In The Name of God award, the Jewish Ner Tamid, and the Zoroastrian Good Life award. None of those are christian, but they're still accepted and even rewarded for their non-christian faith.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users