Photo

Dress Codes

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#51 DenyingSystems

DenyingSystems
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

Dress codes wouldnt be all to bad...I wouldnt have to worry about much about what to wear. Plus hasn't there been studies about this? like less bullying?

Ya, there have been studies about the effects of a dress code. I definitely see the positives in the general scheme of things, (less bullying, not being defined as cool or uncool by your clothes, etc.) but for me, I would absolutely hate it.

Actually, I just re-read your post and I think the effects from "dress codes" were actually from everyone having a standard uniform. There's a difference.

#52 Acheron

Acheron
  • 586 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

Ya, there have been studies about the effects of a dress code. I definitely see the positives in the general scheme of things, (less bullying, not being defined as cool or uncool by your clothes, etc.) but for me, I would absolutely hate it.

Actually, I just re-read your post and I think the effects from "dress codes" were actually from everyone having a standard uniform. There's a difference.

A standard uniform would work for schools but most schools go bat-shit crazy with the idea. And if someone bully you for how you dress, you are better off avoiding the person in the first place. They will still pick on you for other things you do.

#53 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:05 AM

A standard uniform would work for schools but most schools go bat-shit crazy with the idea. And if someone bully you for how you dress, you are better off avoiding the person in the first place. They will still pick on you for other things you do.

Bullying is such a shame -_- I remember when i got bullied around for being fat lol, But yea the idea of students have uniforms would make the students go crazy. I probably wouldn't have mind, would make it easier to dress every day

#54 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

Dress codes wouldnt be all to bad...I wouldnt have to worry about much about what to wear. Plus hasn't there been studies about this? like less bullying?

Bullying is the same all round, doesn't matter if there is uniform or not.
But that is a good point, unfortunately a lot of people want originality and wish to express oneself through one's choice of clothes so there is really no perfect solution. Mainly it's preference.

#55 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:37 AM

Bullying is the same all round, doesn't matter if there is uniform or not.
But that is a good point, unfortunately a lot of people want originality and wish to express oneself through one's choice of clothes so there is really no perfect solution. Mainly it's preference.

It does matter though, in some ways.

Without a dress code, there's more cliquishness, as people with the same fashion sense/taste tend to clump together. The more cliques, the more problems and discrimination against everyone who doesn't dress like that. Granted, not everyone is like that - but schools these days are problematic enough without having to add crap like this.

#56 neobrah

neobrah
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

I think it really depends on the setting. If the school is upper close or is trying to maintain a level of professionalism than a dress code makes sense. Students sometimes do not use their best judgement at all sometimes and need guidelines =p

#57 Whyumad

Whyumad
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

It does matter though, in some ways.

Without a dress code, there's more cliquishness, as people with the same fashion sense/taste tend to clump together. The more cliques, the more problems and discrimination against everyone who doesn't dress like that. Granted, not everyone is like that - but schools these days are problematic enough without having to add crap like this.

Give a little here, take a little there.
La chateau principle of equilibrium of bullying and cliques.

#58 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

My school had a uniform. All I had to do was put it on in the morning. No worrying about what someone else is going to say or dressing to impress. It sure took a lot of stress off the entire dressing process.
At university, I sure wish there was a dress code. I've seen enough cleavage and butt cracks to last me a lifetime!

#59 angel412ster

angel412ster
  • 29 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

yes for dress code. i went to public school and we had it. simple things: no tube shirts or tank-tops. and shorts not too short. boys had to have most of their boxers covered.

BUT my HS was on the beach and it was only like 1994 before they banned swim-suits to school!

#60 BERRIES

BERRIES
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Yes, I think it should be forced in schools. Or else there wouldn't be any control! And the kids would grow up thinking it's always alright to wear revealing clothes which might eventually harm them, by attracting the wrong company. Many people nowadays feel dress codes are of no use, but when they grow up, they will start to see the importance of it. Just like me. Hehes.

#61 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

Even with a dress code or uniform, kids will still find a way to customize what they're wearing. The only purpose a dress code serves is to keep underage girls from slutting it up and underage boys from getting beat up by a rival gang for accidentally wearing a pink shirt (Don't ask, it happened at my school, pink shirts were banned for boys). Other than that it's useless. Still useless in practice because the girls will still be sluts and the boys will still be stupid outside of school. And there will always be cliques and bullying and all the other lovely tragedies that comes with Middle and High School a dress code or uniform will never change that. But in the end, High School will always suck, so the sucky implementation of a dress code would just be another drop in the bucket.

#62 spk

spk
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

agree :)

#63 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

I go to a private school.......but the dress code on a basic day is black shoes, grey dress pants and a polo shirt with the school crest on it. We have "formal" uniform for assemblies and important stuff which is dress shirt, blazer and tie and all that jazz but that's about twice a month.

It's pretty easy to customize. Tuck your shirt in, tuck your shirt out, add a belt, add a chain, tights, socks, skirts, high skirts, low skirts, bracelets, necklaces, watches, earings, change your shoes and if you're desperate you low ride (good luck it makes you look like a dork in those dress pants).

I personally love it. I don't have to worry about clothes, and it saves so much time, just grab the clothes, slap them on and I'm off :p

For public schools I think it's straps have to be three fingers wide and you can't show you bellybutton and stuff like that. I dunno if it works but it doesn't seem too bad either

Edited by Kuro, 15 January 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#64 Homer

Homer
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

When I was younger, I attended catholic school and I didn't mind the dress codes. There would be days where I wear the same shirt and pants
to school for 2 or 3 days in a row. More time to sleep for me, and 4 minutes to get ready.
Besides I didn't like school much, I didn't attend to dress to impress. On the plus side, it was the only time I get to see girls wear short skirts in school besides
the mall. Almost half of the ones I used to see didn't even wear spandex underneath... all commando.

#65 Kevingroetz

Kevingroetz
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

All of my friends and I had always wished our schools had uniforms. Just easy to put on, and they look super preppy which I love.

#66 DearYuki

DearYuki
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

Even with a dress code or uniform, kids will still find a way to customize what they're wearing. The only purpose a dress code serves is to keep underage girls from slutting it up and underage boys from getting beat up by a rival gang for accidentally wearing a pink shirt (Don't ask, it happened at my school, pink shirts were banned for boys). Other than that it's useless. Still useless in practice because the girls will still be sluts and the boys will still be stupid outside of school. And there will always be cliques and bullying and all the other lovely tragedies that comes with Middle and High School a dress code or uniform will never change that. But in the end, High School will always suck, so the sucky implementation of a dress code would just be another drop in the bucket.

You raise a valid argument.. but I think the main goal of schools is to basically prevent shit from happening in schools. They don't really care about what happens outside of school unless the students are somehow caught in their uniforms. The world is messed-up place and you really can't stop everything bad (e.g. "cliques, bullying, and other lovely tragedies") from happening, but they're just *trying* to minimize these incidences within their system.
I've gone both ways (private and public). It's nice not seeing certain fashion disasters from occurring when everyone's in uniform.

Edited by DearYuki, 26 January 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#67 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

When I was in private school I loved having a uniform! Not having to really think about what you're gonna wear is a huge time saver :p
There was always room for being creative and original, just not from what clothes you wear. We could wear jewelry (sensible, usually), colored socks, and colored shoelaces :3
Everyone there loved it, from what I remember.
But I think it's different for lots of kids.. I remember when they implemented uniforms at the public high school everyone was mutinous! I didn't get it.
At least they didn't have to wear dorky stuff like I did, this ugly maroon/purple 'skort' thing and maroon polo t-shirt. All they had to wear was a mascot or black/gold themed t-shirt and jeans. =/
But once the original shock wore off I think, everyone seemed fine with it

#68 Poptart

Poptart
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Agreed. When I was still in school, they began enforcing dress code quickly after the Columbine incident happened.. The reason being to try to 'blend us in', so that social outcasting (and consequently, school violence) could be prevented. I, however, can personally attest to the amount of teasing that still occurred on school grounds. The school board can only control so much...and the rest is left up to insecure teenagers to scrutinize and tear apart. Whether it be weight, income level, or (in the case of my school) YOU'RE WEARING A BLACK JACKET. YOU MUST WORSHIP SATAN!?!?!?!?!? And, no, I do not exaggerate. Fact is, highschool is a breeding ground for stupidity and ignorance. No amount of rules and regulations could ever change that.

#69 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

as long as you dont have to wear uniform im good :)

#70 Jennysaur

Jennysaur
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

Dress codes are fine - but not uniforms
although if I lived in an Asian country I wouldn't mind the ADORABLE uniforms
but nope this is the US
and uniforms are hella ugly

My school is fairly on the "good" scale, I don't think we have a dress code but everyone atleast wears clothes.

#71 Butet

Butet
  • 213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

+1 for dress code

#72 Propitiatory

Propitiatory
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

I want to express myself freely, how could anyone do this with a dress code?

:( I hate coming in late to a thread because people always seem to have already thought my thoughts... ie:

If the only way you can think to express yourself is by wearing shiny clothes, I pity you.

Fuck uniforms. As long as the dress code is enforced, there's no need for uniforms.

http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/Avatars_Funny_Crawling_Bug.gif -- Almost swatted my screen -.- (Considering my laptop's screen is hanging on to dear life by three mere cables, this would have been a bad thing.)

#73 Zoolu4

Zoolu4
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

No dress code
It's freedom of expression
If you get bullied because of what you wear, do you honestly think those bullies will stop because you start dressing differently?
For those who think it's easier to have them, HOW HARD IS IT TO PICK OUT SOMETHING TO WEAR? Heck, just pretend there's a uniform rule if you honestly can't decide easily.

#74 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

No dress code
It's freedom of expression
If you get bullied because of what you wear, do you honestly think those bullies will stop because you start dressing differently?
For those who think it's easier to have them, HOW HARD IS IT TO PICK OUT SOMETHING TO WEAR? Heck, just pretend there's a uniform rule if you honestly can't decide easily.

It's different for girls. With a uniform policy, they are now saving 30+ min a day choosing what they wear. Dress codes aren't freedom of expression, you can express (and show) all you want to the public elsewhere. Dress codes and uniforms not only regulate but keep it a learning enviroment at schools and where ever else. Try wearing fishnets and a leather jacket to work; express all you want, things aren't going to go well. In a sence, SOCIETY itself has a dress code.

#75 Brucicle

Brucicle
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

It's different for girls. With a uniform policy, they are now saving 30+ min a day choosing what they wear. Dress codes aren't freedom of expression, you can express (and show) all you want to the public elsewhere. Dress codes and uniforms not only regulate but keep it a learning enviroment at schools and where ever else. Try wearing fishnets and a leather jacket to work; express all you want, things aren't going to go well. In a sence, SOCIETY itself has a dress code.

I agree, humans are generally stupid and letting them "express" themselves is just a bad idea. Though I'm not saying we should all be prison immates with uniforms and be boring; I just think SOME sort of regulation is required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users