Quantcast

Photo

Psychokinesis

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Psychokinesis

Is Psychokinesis possible?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sockopen

sockopen
  • 1481 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

Do you believe that moving objects with 'your mind' is possible? Is it really possible to influence the behaviour of matter by only mental intension?

#2 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:29 PM

Yes, with a superior amount of usage of the mind itself and "mind over matter" I believe it to be possible. I do not believe the average being could do it, and I don't think anyone could do it without a lot of practice and training. I actually used to own a rather long book on Psychokensis and the actual Physics of it.
Everything has energy, including the mind, using that energy it could be directed and refined into moving an object.
While a lot of it is Adrenaline rushes, watch a mother trying to protect her child, they can do things you would never believe a 5'2'' 90 pound woman could do.

#3 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

As humanity as existed for thousands of years, I don't find it logical that we'd have this innate ability that never became public or was ever proven over all that time. So no.

#4 Ender

Ender
  • 4323 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

Currently, I say impossible. But; apparantly we only use 10% of our brains or something - so if we used an extra couple percent, who knows?

#5 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

Currently, I say impossible. But; apparantly we only use 10% of our brains or something - so if we used an extra couple percent, who knows?

http://www.snopes.co...ts/10percnt.htm

#6 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Yes.

Humans are connected with waves in the atmosphere. if people like Richard Stallman can manipulated transmission waves, humans can probably manipulate regular waves. But it is not discovered yet.

#7 sockopen

sockopen
  • 1481 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

I completely believe it's possible. I've seen too many spoonbenders, too many things that would suggest that there is more to this than what we see.

I believe we can channel our own energy, or take energy from some source, imaginated or not, and use this channeled energy, to expel it into matter or not, creating PsiBalls. The thought of this has existed for hundreds of years, 'witches' were killed, the Salem Witch Trials, 1692; although not directly related, the thought of 'bending reality' as the general public sees it has been expressed and displayed over the years.

#8 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

I completely believe it's possible. I've seen too many spoonbenders, too many things that would suggest that there is more to this than what we see.

I believe we can channel our own energy, or take energy from some source, imaginated or not, and use this channeled energy, to expel it into matter or not, creating PsiBalls. The thought of this has existed for hundreds of years, 'witches' were killed, the Salem Witch Trials, 1692; although not directly related, the thought of 'bending reality' as the general public sees it has been expressed and displayed over the years.

Yes. But as Brkn said, it has not really been proven yet. But it hasn't really been disproven either, so it's possible. I'm sure there are the rare few, the one in 500 million, that can control waves just as easy as an ordinary man walking.

Along with that, the Goverment (UN paticularly) tends to hide a lot of things. So you never know.

#9 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

Humans are connected with waves in the atmosphere. if people like Richard Stallman can manipulated transmission waves, humans can probably manipulate regular waves. But it is not discovered yet.

Who is Richard Stallman?

I believe we can channel our own energy, or take energy from some source, imaginated or not, and use this channeled energy, to expel it into matter or not, creating PsiBalls.

Like DragonballZ?

Yes. But as Brkn said, it has not really been proven yet. But it hasn't really been disproven either, so it's possible. I'm sure there are the rare few, the one in 500 million, that can control waves just as easy as an ordinary man walking.

Along with that, the Goverment (UN paticularly) tends to hide a lot of things. So you never know.

Like Area51. ^_^

#10 sockopen

sockopen
  • 1481 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

I'm not quite familiar with 'DragonballZ', I'm referring to being able to create pressure, possibly heat / cool between your two hands.

#11 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:18 PM

I'm not quite familiar with 'DragonballZ', I'm referring to being able to create pressure, possibly heat / cool between your two hands.

That's like Street fighter.

And Richard Stallman is the creator of the GNU license, which is a program license that stands today.

#12 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

*levitates burrito into mouth and bites and chews* damn straight it's possible :thumbsup:

...or not. Really... Let's look at the physics of it. We really haven't been able to levitate anything without the help of magnets, no? And even if we somehow got the ability to act like magnets and concentrate enough iron in our bodies to do that (which biologically seems like a bad idea anyways) we would only be able to pick up metallic magnetic objects. It would not really be a good idea in the first place to be able to exert energy outside of our bodies into objects to pick them up. If you look at it... why would nature EVER feel the need to do that? Perhaps one day we'll have devices, but I highly doubt that we humans alone with our bodies will ever be able to do it. It doesn't make sense why we would ever evolve to do it...

#13 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

I don't think it's possible outside of imagination. This is a breach between science and science fiction - often, science fiction becomes science, yes - but just because we went to the moon does not mean we can lift a rock with the power of our minds.

Telekinesis, psychokinesis, etc completely disregard the laws of physics. There's no way around that.

You move a pen by pushing on it with your hand. There is a direct mechanical energy transfer, there. Telekinesis...how do you push on it? Do you use the air around it to push? How do you push the air? Electromagnetic waves...HA!

The ability to manipulate electromagnetic waves does NOT equal the ability to move objects. You NEED mechanical energy in order to move something. There is a big, huge chasm between electrical and mechanical energy, such that you cannot just convert it in the middle of the air. You need a process. There is no such thing as the Force to move it for you.

It's much easier to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy (turbines), but once again, you must use a machine to do this. The only way to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy without using a machine...well, you need to use a natural machine. Chemical process, which is normally done within organisms.

Now, magnetism - the manipulation of magnetic waves in order to move metal objects - that would be completely unprecedented in the animal kingdom, and I am not entirely sure that the brain would be able to handle it (we are very sensitive to changes in magnetism, much more than you think - if we could manipulate it, we'd be experiencing large changes), but it would be a sight more possible to do than actual telekinesis. Scientists use magnetism to alter the brain (often to cure depression), yes - they use comparably little and can normally change a great deal about how your brain works. However, a great deal of it can instantly kill you. No joke.

Now...manipulating electrical energy to convert to thermal energy to spark a chemical process in the air to create a ball of fire?

That would require an enormous amount of energy - remember, energy does not convert completely 100%. The most efficient conversion systems we know of - stars - still only get about a 7% conversion rate. E=mc^2 is theory only, kiddies! MIT thinks it can use quantum mechanics to make a direct thermal to electrical conversion - 15-20% - but it doesn't know how to do that, yet.

Oxygen burns, but oxygen is not the sole instigator of flame. It's when oxygen reacts to an existing combustiable fuel source that fire starts. Otherwise, everytime you started a fire, the atmosphere would ignite if all fire needed was oxygen. So you're talking about burning another fuel source - in the air - to react with the oxygen to produce a flame.

Once again, if this was easily done, the atmosphere would combust quite frequently. Now, say you introduced something into the air that can burn with the help of oxygen - methane.

You would have to not only have to have a continuous supply of methane - methane burns very, very quickly, and as a gas, it takes up a lot of room - to make a fireball last for five minutes. However, methane is very unstable. There is a reason people are terrified about the idea of methane bubbles escaping from the ocean floor - it doesn't take much disturbance to ignite methane. How do you control that methane, though? How do you control the fire from igniting your source all at once?

Simple answer is, you can't. ;)

Not without telekinesis.

And once again, we come full circle.

Edited by Casilla, 09 February 2006 - 06:31 PM.

#14 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Well... I say yes.
Why? Because somebody hung a necklace inside a room and told me to stand under it. I did. Then they said, think the word "No" really hard. I did. The necklace started to move left and ride. They said, think "Yes" really hard. I did. It changed direction.
If the mind can do this.. Why couldnt with extreme practice it be used to move objects?

#15 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

Well... I say yes.
Why? Because somebody hung a necklace inside a room and told me to stand under it. I did. Then they said, think the word "No" really hard. I did. The necklace started to move left and ride. They said, think "Yes" really hard. I did. It changed direction.
If the mind can do this.. Why couldnt with extreme practice it be used to move objects?

Yes, I used to do things like that, too. My parent's friend took me out to hippiest parts of Colorado once and we bought crystals and "purified" them and swung them about. I was totally convinced for about a week I was manipulating the crystal. Trust me, though, it's a trick. ;)

#16 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

If you can move things with your hands why can't you move them with your mind? If we use some 7% of our minds what would we be able to accomplish if we use 100%? O_o But like Cassilla pointed out moving only objects and only objects you would have to take it molecule by molecule and displace them into a different area. I heard moving objects doesn't have to do with thinking hard I heard it's about relaxing. For exampleif you think hard about a picture moving you'll be imagining that action but if you were to relax that power would not be in your mind but it would be near the picture manipulating it's movment. Im tlaking nonsence but I think about it alot :p it;s hard to express it in words.

#17 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:12 PM

If you can move things with your hands why can't you move them with your mind? If we use some 7% of our minds what would we be able to accomplish if we use 100%? O_o But like Cassilla pointed out moving only objects and only objects you would have to take it molecule by molecule and displace them into a different area. I heard moving objects doesn't have to do with thinking hard I heard it's about relaxing. For exampleif you think hard about a picture moving you'll be imagining that action but if you were to relax that power would not be in your mind but it would be near the picture manipulating it's movment. Im tlaking nonsence but I think about it alot :p it;s hard to express it in words.

Agh, it has nothing to do with how much of our brain we use. It all has to do with being physically able to move an object through some process. Until someone can describe the process by which your mind converts electromagnetic waves into mechanical energy able to do work on an object, this is all a moot point.

By the way...you use ALL of your brain...just not all of it for thinking. ;) Remember...your brain has to run your body. If you used up your whole brain for thinking, your body wouldn't be able to function. ;)

#18 Mitch

Mitch
  • 1237 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

I don't think it's possible outside of imagination. This is a breach between science and science fiction - often, science fiction becomes science, yes - but just because we went to the moon does not mean we can lift a rock with the power of our minds.

Telekinesis, psychokinesis, etc completely disregard the laws of physics. There's no way around that.

You move a pen by pushing on it with your hand. There is a direct mechanical energy transfer, there. Telekinesis...how do you push on it? Do you use the air around it to push? How do you push the air? Electromagnetic waves...HA!

The ability to manipulate electromagnetic waves does NOT equal the ability to move objects. You NEED mechanical energy in order to move something. There is a big, huge chasm between electrical and mechanical energy, such that you cannot just convert it in the middle of the air. You need a process. There is no such thing as the Force to move it for you.

It's much easier to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy (turbines), but once again, you must use a machine to do this. The only way to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy without using a machine...well, you need to use a natural machine. Chemical process, which is normally done within organisms.

Now, magnetism - the manipulation of magnetic waves in order to move metal objects - that would be completely unprecedented in the animal kingdom, and I am not entirely sure that the brain would be able to handle it (we are very sensitive to changes in magnetism, much more than you think - if we could manipulate it, we'd be experiencing large changes), but it would be a sight more possible to do than actual telekinesis. Scientists use magnetism to alter the brain (often to cure depression), yes - they use comparably little and can normally change a great deal about how your brain works. However, a great deal of it can instantly kill you. No joke.

Now...manipulating electrical energy to convert to thermal energy to spark a chemical process in the air to create a ball of fire?

That would require an enormous amount of energy - remember, energy does not convert completely 100%. The most efficient conversion systems we know of - stars - still only get about a 7% conversion rate. E=mc^2 is theory only, kiddies! MIT thinks it can use quantum mechanics to make a direct thermal to electrical conversion - 15-20% - but it doesn't know how to do that, yet.

Oxygen burns, but oxygen is not the sole instigator of flame. It's when oxygen reacts to an existing combustiable fuel source that fire starts. Otherwise, everytime you started a fire, the atmosphere would ignite if all fire needed was oxygen. So you're talking about burning another fuel source - in the air - to react with the oxygen to produce a flame.

Once again, if this was easily done, the atmosphere would combust quite frequently. Now, say you introduced something into the air that can burn with the help of oxygen - methane.

You would have to not only have to have a continuous supply of methane - methane burns very, very quickly, and as a gas, it takes up a lot of room - to make a fireball last for five minutes. However, methane is very unstable. There is a reason people are terrified about the idea of methane bubbles escaping from the ocean floor - it doesn't take much disturbance to ignite methane. How do you control that methane, though? How do you control the fire from igniting your source all at once?

Simple answer is, you can't. ;)

Not without telekinesis.

And once again, we come full circle.

God I hate when you pwn EVERYONE with your physics stuff O.O

#19 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

That 7% of our brain thing is a myth :p check the snopes link I posted earlier in the topic

#20 Tim

Tim
  • 2795 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

God I hate when you pwn EVERYONE with your physics stuff O.O

I wouldn't hate it nearly as much if I knew what any of it meant o.o

That 7% of our brain thing is a myth :p check the snopes link I posted earlier in the topic

Maybe it's a myth that it's a myth :shifty:

#21 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

I'll take my favorite comment from the snopes article. When was the last time you heard a doctor say "Well, he was shot in the brain, but luckily he's fine because he was only shot in the 90% he didn't use!" uh huh

#22 sockopen

sockopen
  • 1481 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:34 AM

Well, about the whole physics / science end of this, sciences have developed a long way, the whole concept is still a work in progress. There are a lot of things in sciences that are 'unknowns', and 'possibles', it's far from, for lack of a better word; finished.

The idea wasn't, has science proved that people can move objects with their mind? We know the answer to that.

#23 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

I highly belive it after some of the things ive seen happen. Wont go into details but you'd blive it too if youd seen what I have seen

#24 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:56 AM

I don't want to quote Casilla's long speech but you guys just got pwned!

#25 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:52 AM

I believe somebody could for some reason. But it just isnt physically possible, unless ofcourse we stick magnets in our head. Then I'd be the superhero called MagnetMan, stopping all crime my bringing them to me. :shifty:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users