Quantcast

Photo

Religion?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Religion (60 member(s) have cast votes)

What religion are you?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#26 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:15 PM

Hmmm, jusdging from the poll results:

We nee dmore ahtiest :p just kidding

I remember when I mad ethis post the first time (ages ago) there were WAY more athiest.

#27 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Christianity: In the beggining, God
Atheisim: In the beggining, Dirt

Hmm, which one, which one :p

Hmmm, easy choice. Which one can you look out your window and see? :p

#28 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Hmmm, easy choice. Which one can you look out your window and see? :p

Christianity and most religions, Alias.

And Cataliste, even though there is the argument of a man cannot make a watch without parts, a man of divinity indeed CAN.

#29 Darkness

Darkness
  • 1432 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

I try to be mostly Catholic, but I do have my doubts. I believe in the Ten Commandments, and in God and Jesus so I consider myself a Catholic.

#30 Jaf

Jaf
  • 1654 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

So your saying dirt has the power to create it's self? o_0

My head hurts whenever I try to figure out where everything came from, so saying some diety snaped it's fingers and suddendly our world was created is an easy way out IMO.

#31 Darkness

Darkness
  • 1432 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

My head hurts whenever I try to figure out where everything came from, so saying some diety snaped it's fingers and suddendly our world was created is an easy way out IMO.

Well Religion and Science are two conflicting sources I suppose.

#32 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

Religion and science can go together!

Theres an actual section of protestant christianity that tries to balance the sense and explanation into yahweh and his son Yeshua. While some christians disagree with this heavily (as do i), its pretty interesting.

Well, i cant say I know much. I've been busy looking at religions. Officially muslim for now, but I have my doubts =/.

#33 bizzarboy

bizzarboy
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

Ah yes. Science and religion CAN go hand in hand. Those who study both enough will realize this and I truly believe that the only way to fully understand either science or religion is to study the other.

#34 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

Ah yes. Science and religion CAN go hand in hand. Those who study both enough will realize this and I truly believe that the only way to fully understand either science or religion is to study the other.

Though theres the common nontheist who believes both science and religion are utterly moronic, and that they believe both are virtually the same; the way you model things.

#35 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

I'm catholic. I like to believe most of the stuff that they teach but some parts of it are just inane.

I really want to get more knowledge of other religions like islam and stuff to know what they believe in and what they practise etc. But in this life, I just have no time. That and my parents would call an exorcist. Lol I like playin around wit my mom's minds as she has strong catholic beliefs and values and I say that I'm am converting to other religions.

But 4real, being a catholic has been good too me as it's beliefs and sh*t has made me a good person with morales on the inside.Though I do want to understand more of why certain stuff happens as it is said that everything is in God's will as alot of stuff I don't know why he let them happen.

#36 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

You know, I'm athiest. But I don't kill puppies. infact I detest animal torture (kill the cow and I will eat it, just odnt make it suffer). Just because ur religios doesnt make u moraly set. i mean, look at those priest a while back. They were pretty "holy" but i would say their morales were a little off.

#37 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

Your right in a sense, cataliste. Life is life, no philosophy can tell you what to do. And yes, I dislike the closed minded people (or perhaps, just the way they act) in religion. But the facts are : that's in every faith. Atheism, Christianity, Islam, Scientology, hell, even agnosticism has it.

You aren't moral because your in a religion where someone guides you to be moral. If the ten commandments didn't exist, that still wouldn't make murdering and raping someone right.

But theres two ways to look at it - giving into indlugence, or doing whats right in your heart. Yes, there are sociopaths out there that dont feel it (or perhaps, feel it in the back of their mind), but if all of the world gave into their temptation, where would be society today, if there would still be one? :p

#38 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:42 AM

The crazy shit your talking about is the stuff they changed and added on from christianity. If you want to get away from that, I advise you at least look into christianity. I'm sure it would suit you alot better :p

Did you just say that Catholics are not Christians? 0_o

I dislike religion.

#39 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:43 AM

Did you just say that Catholics are not Christians? 0_o

I dislike religion.

He's suggesting catholics have altered the word of the lord, or so I've interpreted.

But I dont understand the whole wide spread "I'm right" as to call a religion just a cult is absurd.

The concept of religion was meant as faiths that are neither right or wrong at this point. However,

there are many atheists that in near death expiriences claimed to see heaven, with peter the guardian, and yeshua. Many claim to stand corrected. but there are so many others, its insane.

#40 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

Im a Codyism follower :D

#41 bizzarboy

bizzarboy
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:25 AM

He's suggesting catholics have altered the word of the lord, or so I've interpreted.

Unfortunately, that's true to some extent. There is no copy of the Bible in it's original form in existance. It's believed that there are somewhere around 70 different variations of the Bible that have come before the one we know today. As such, it is safe to say that certain stories have been altered, added, or omitted as certain people interpret it differently. History gives us a good example of that with the creation of the Anglican Church by King Henry VIII of England, having separated from the Catholic Church when the Pope refused to allow him to divorce Queen Catherine.

#42 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

The rest are what we call "religions", and man made.

So now you are saying Christianity wasn't man made? How can you say that when it was the diciples who went about spreading the word and basically forming the religion?

#43 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

So your saying that the diciples made christianity? Do you know what a diciple is? A follower. They only did what Jesus said. The truth is God. That's all there is to it. The diciples did not make God =/

I'm not saying that they created the concepts, but they formed the religion. Was there ever a time when Jesus said that everything he declared was the new religion that he (or God...whatever) created? To my knowledge he only expressed ideas and concepts but did not declare it a new religion.

#44 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

That's not my view though. In worldy terms, or english, yes christianity is a religion. But in my view, it is not equal in any way shape or form to any other "religion" on this earth, because it's the only truth. That's why I don't define it as one, the way I see it, it's only teaching what Jesus said.

If there was only one truth, there would be no need for the word "religions", because there would only be the truth. You couldn't just go make a "religion", because even if it did exist, it would only refer to the truth, like a similie.

You can't prove that it is the truth as much as any other religion can. If I declare the religion of the dancing purple ponies the truth, then it would be exactly the same as your argument. This is my last post in this topic because trying to debate religion with someone is stupid and will never get anywhere because in the end it only comes down to what you as an individual believe.

#45 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

How is it absurd? If all religions were right, it would just be one major contradiction. There is only one truth about the world, and from that people base religions. I say christianity is not a religion, but a follower of the only truth. The rest are what we call "religions", and man made.

By the way, please google "the difference between christians and catholics" or something to that extent, and you will see what I mean about changing stuff.

I agree with you catholics have a couple alterings done. Mainly because roman catholicism was to tie in with mytholonian or whatever worshipping the sun was called. What i dont agree with is that its "the truth". But thats where different religions pull in.

One quick question to you : whats your view on Antony laVey's teachings on satanism? www.churchofsatan.com = information. It's not about worshipping the devil, nor is it a horrible religion/cult. But its narcissism is high as ever.

#46 A Silent Soliloquy

A Silent Soliloquy
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

Im Muslim O_o Even though I go to a catholic school just because its better than our Canadian public schools.

#47 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

I havn't gone into that. I started with mormonism, then atheisim, and that's probably going to be my next one :p

Mormons? Don't get me started. The whole translation and moroni speaking and indians being white and whatnot. Moral values are alright though, but I dont like the actual concept joseph smith pitched.

I was an atheist for a few years as you already know. Though I've felt some weird essence of a higher power, i dont know what it could be. Allah, Yahweh, Adonai, Brahma. I seriously have no clue. I best stay secular for now. :devil:

Ohh yeahh, my argument to satanism. This was on another fourm, but i posted it.

And once again I stress that Satanism is merely a way of life. No belief in God, the devil, or an afterlife is required. All I know is that my life sucked majorly before I indulged in sex, drugs, and exacted vengeance upon my enemies. And by the way, I'd rather burn for eternity than live in a nightmare world of pseudo-happiness where I lose my free will.

But the question is, when will you learn that by indulging in base desires, that you have already lost control?

Satanism, as you define it, looks to me to be nothing but a loss of control in the long run. Every human being is given free will to do as they please, so the consequences to their actions are their own.

indulged in sex

The mind loses control of the body. The fact that you even use the term "indulge" means you are not the master of your domain.

[indulged in] drugs

Again, your mind loses control of your body to unnatural desires. You eventually become as dependent on drugs as you do on food... and so, you have lost a little more control.

Abstaining against drugs is a true testament to free will, you'll find that you're able to exact your free will a little better when ya ain't so doped up.

[indulged in exacting] vengeance

Perhaps the worst one of all. When you find it necessary to exact vengeance, you lose control of your emotions. If you lose control of your emotions, how can you claim to have free will?

If you turn the other cheek however, you have imposed your free will over your emotions.

Indulging your urges is easy.
Resisting your urges is difficult.

No wonder you prefer the former, as opposed to the latter .

#48 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

I thought jesus's half brother was an incredible contribution to the church, but the disciples became well known for their promotion of it.

#49 Raillery

Raillery
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

I do not know what I am. I really like the sound of Buddhism, I think I believe everything had to start with a higher being, but I just don't agree with the way it is presented through the bible.

I for one believe that you cannot take the bible word for word and that if you do. . . that's just ridiculous. I'm not saying, I'm right you're wrong, that's just my view. The bible was written by man and has many contradictions found all throughout it EX: In Genesis God says that when he eats the apple he will surely die right there on the spot, Adam does eat the apple, and he lives for hundreds of more years. Some may say that that is just symbolism, metaphoric, etc, but if you do say that, then you arn't taking the bible word for word. You don't have a right to pick and choose what is and isn't symbolic because it doesn't make sense and take the bible word for word.

My views on religion?

Man made? Quite possible. Without religion, what is stopping us from killing others when the going gets tough, what's stopping us from killing ourselves if that's it, it's over, done. Without religion we would live in a much more chaotic world with a lot more problems than we have right now (which are quite a few as it is . . ). Religion gives us something to live for, a reason to live.

#50 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

Grave digging? :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users