• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#151 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:39 AM

Okay, but which religion do I choose? I mean the bible and the Qur'an don't say the same things for example. How do I know I'm not pissing off god?

Thats up to you mate....read what each has to say...I can get you translated copies of the Qur'an but I think you should talk to a Christian or a Jew for copies of the Bible and Torah :p. Not really my area :p

No, I don't believe we have a soul. We could call our self-conscience our soul, maybe. Kinda in the way that when we draw a heart for our sweetie we draw that red heart symbol, not a bloody mass of flesh.
I just watched that episode of the Simpsons where Bart sells his soul to Milhouse. I don't believe we have a soul like that. A soul that can be bought or sold or saved or goes to heaven when we die.

Im reading a book right now about how quantum physics proves that we have a soul :p

Also, a lot of physicists become very religious once they go deep into their fields because physics proves the existance of God too :p

#152 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

Many physicists also believe that there are infinite dimensions, some where physicists are babe magnets. This is shown to be impossible by the inverse square "sexosity" law known as Kim's Initial Theorum. Thus, what physicists believe cannot always be true.

This debate is silly. Let's debate about the band Genesis instead. Very cool prog rock music, but it gave us Phil Collins. Good or evil? You decide.

#153 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

Many physicists also believe that there are infinite dimensions, some where physicists are babe magnets. This is shown to be impossible by the inverse square "sexosity" law known as Kim's Initial Theorum. Thus, what physicists believe cannot always be true.

This debate is silly. Let's debate about the band Genesis instead. Very cool prog rock music, but it gave us Phil Collins. Good or evil? You decide.

:rofl:

yeah I am not liking phycists very much right now either <_<

#154 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

I think the band Genesis proves the existance of God. However I also believe that the existance of Phil Collins disproves the existance of God. Damn, back to square one.

(Hydrogen)
Im reading a book right now about how quantum physics proves that we have a soul

Also, a lot of physicists become very religious once they go deep into their fields because physics proves the existance of God too

So there's a book that proves that we have a soul? And physics proves the existance of God? Well, why are we debating then? Care to share the proof?

#155 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

So there's a book that proves that we have a soul? And physics proves the existance of God? Well, why are we debating then? Care to share the proof?

Well im not done reading yet :p heres the book tho :p

http://www.amazon.co...5Fencoding=UTF8

:p

#156 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hydie, no one understands Quantum Physics, even quantum physicists. They could say that it proves anything and no one would say anything. Because it can't be proved, disproved, or understood. Stephen Hawking could stand up and say (not literally :p ) that quantum physics proves that Lee likes his rear end attacked by cucumbers, and people would just nod and say "isn't Hawking a clever chap?!"

*nods in wisdom*

#157 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hydie, no one understands Quantum Physics, even quantum physicists. They could say that it proves anything and no one would say anything. Because it can't be proved, disproved, or understood. Stephen Hawking could stand up and say (not literally :p ) that quantum physics proves that Lee likes his rear end attacked by cucumbers, and people would just nod and say "isn't Hawking a clever chap?!"

*nods in wisdom*

not really :p, my cousin is a quantum physicist ... its confusing shit but its just physics on a much smaller scale and level.

#158 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:32 PM

I tried reading into it, but when I read that it could be possible to read minds or predict the future due to electron spin, my brain oozed out my nose, preventing me from further investigation into the field.

#159 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

I tried reading into it, but when I read that it could be possible to read minds or predict the future due to electron spin, my brain oozed out my nose, preventing me from further investigation into the field.

yeah..most people dont like to think that when I throw a tennis ball against a wall...that there is a nonzero probability that it will go through :p

some people cant handle that :p

#160 Kimoflea

Kimoflea
  • 5359 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:39 PM

I prefer to live on the molecular level. Things are so much simpler there because everything looks like Pacman. Or so my version of chemistry would lead me to believe ^_^

#161 snickpop

snickpop
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

Well, a quick quote from the amazon page:
"Physicist Wolf, author of other popular books on his specialty (Taking the Quantum Leap [1989], The Body Quantum [1986], etc.), proves scientifically the existence of the soul, but only by defining soul so broadly that many will be disappointed. For it is not the personal soul that he is concerned with. Rather, Wolf's soul more nearly resembles the world soul of the gnostics."

But do get back to us when you're done reading :)

#162 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

Well, a quick quote from the amazon page:
"Physicist Wolf, author of other popular books on his specialty (Taking the Quantum Leap [1989], The Body Quantum [1986], etc.), proves scientifically the existence of the soul, but only by defining soul so broadly that many will be disappointed. For it is not the personal soul that he is concerned with. Rather, Wolf's soul more nearly resembles the world soul of the gnostics."

But do get back to us when you're done reading :)

I dont think I can make the same proof in a paragraph that he does in 386 pages :p

#163 Bora

Bora
  • 955 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:41 AM

I'm just curious, do you believe that we evolved through a random string of germ mutations?

#164 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:02 AM

For the record, the Christian God and the Islamic God are the same :p, and I dont think buddhists believe in god. Spagheti monster...hmm... :p

Do you believe then that we have a soul? :p

Because Buddha never denied the existence of God, it's technically whatever someone feels to believe. While as a religion, buddhists do not believe in a God for the most part, it can also be applied as a philosophy. In fact, just about every religion has a few people that believe in the philosophy but still have faith in their religion.

I'm just curious, do you believe that we evolved through a random string of germ mutations?

DNA is just strings of protein. Throughout time, it can build up. Dogs are the perfect example of evolution being proven, whereas humans are still a huge debate. Whether or not humans evolved, theres no doubt other animals have.

#165 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Because Buddha never denied the existence of God, it's technically whatever someone feels to believe. While as a religion, buddhists do not believe in a God for the most part, it can also be applied as a philosophy. In fact, just about every religion has a few people that believe in the philosophy but still have faith in their religion

All religions? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

DNA is just strings of protein. Throughout time, it can build up. Dogs are the perfect example of evolution being proven, whereas humans are still a huge debate. Whether or not humans evolved, theres no doubt other animals have.

Whether people like it or not...evolution is a fact :p you can see it happen right in front of you...if you really want to see it happen fast, just grow some bacteria and you will see it happen in weeks.

#166 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:07 PM

All religions? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Like I've said, only a FEW people. And almost all religions have these small amount of people who practice the philosophy. Two examples of religions that don't have these few people are Scientology and Islam.

Whether people like it or not...evolution is a fact :p you can see it happen right in front of you...if you really want to see it happen fast, just grow some bacteria and you will see it happen in weeks.

So true.

#167 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:06 PM

what i dont understand is why some religions have a problem with it...it makes perfect sense to me...why evolution and abortion can coexist with religion...

for example... how we were created is not really discussed in the Qur'an. It says, God created Adam, peace be upon him, and then Adam addressed Eve. It doesnt even mention her creation :p, she was just suddenly there :p. It doesnt talk about the form we were created in :p.

Which verses in the Bible or Torah are in conflict with evolution?

#168 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

what i dont understand is why some religions have a problem with it...it makes perfect sense to me...why evolution and abortion can coexist with religion...

for example... how we were created is not really discussed in the Qur'an. It says, God created Adam, peace be upon him, and then Adam addressed Eve. It doesnt even mention her creation :p, she was just suddenly there :p. It doesnt talk about the form we were created in :p.

Which verses in the Bible or Torah are in conflict with evolution?

Some people will take some things from the Bible literally, as with the Torah.

#169 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

Some people will take some things from the Bible literally, as with the Torah.

All religious scriptures that i know of are written in metaphoric form :p

but ... maybe a christian can answer? which verses are in question and contradiction with the theory of evolution and abortion?

#170 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

but ... maybe a christian can answer? which verses are in question and contradiction with the theory of evolution and abortion?

The topic of evolution and genesis (which doesnt suggest evolution happened) is the one your in. I know that the reason some consider abortion to be wrong is because of their belief that sex should be something sacred involving a child, not just killing the baby during any trimester because of a screw up in casual sex.

#171 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

The topic of evolution and genesis (which doesnt suggest evolution happened) is the one your in. I know that the reason some consider abortion to be wrong is because of their belief that sex should be something sacred involving a child, not just killing the baby during any trimester because of a screw up in casual sex.

ive heard from some that life is created when the sperm touches the egg...which is why abortion is illegal...

is this the christian belief?

#172 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

I already clearly stated that basically the Bible does say abortion is wrong.

I dont think i should state my opinions on why there is conflict with science and the bible.... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :ninja:

#173 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:58 PM

is this the christian belief?

It is, summed up. AliasXNeo is more informative on the subject, as he is a strong Christian.

ive heard from some that life is created when the sperm touches the egg...which is why abortion is illegal...

The desicion was based on the agreement that if the bible says its wrong, then its not practical to make it legal, as their beliefs say the Bible is the most practical thing on the planet. Same thing with gay marraiges and the Kansas law on creationism. That's just america right now, though. It'll shape up for legalization eventually.

#174 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:01 PM

The desicion was based on the agreement that if the bible says its wrong, then its not practical to make it legal, as their beliefs say the Bible is the most practical thing on the planet. Same thing with gay marraiges and the Kansas law on creationism. That's just america right now, though. It'll shape up for legalization eventually.

Is seperation of church and state a law or just an ideal we have lol...

because if its law...then technically the bible shouldnt play any role at all :p

#175 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

Abortion, Im not touching, Alias can/has done that.

With evolution though, I think its more against what supposodly happened after the "Big Bang". Science says we evolved from some micro organisms, calling that evolution. That is what I do not believe in, as the Bible tells me different. However, smaller changes which happen over a long period of time I believe in. Take dogs for example, at one time they were untamed beasts, now they do everything from retreiving stuff (Good hunters) to herding animals (Rarely killing anything). These subtle changes took a long time to do, and are minute differences (Its not like a dog now has five legs and two heads now o.O).

Another example would be a fish (I think this has been used) which is usually in a really dark place its whole life. After a long time eventually that species of fish will lose their eyes because they no longer need them. That is the evolution I believe in.

Its the adaption to fit changing environments which works, not the evolving from some single cell thingy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users