• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#176 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

With evolution though, I think its more against what supposodly happened after the "Big Bang". Science says we evolved from some micro organisms, calling that evolution. That is what I do not believe in, as the Bible tells me different. However, smaller changes which happen over a long period of time I believe in. Take dogs for example, at one time they were untamed beasts, now they do everything from retreiving stuff (Good hunters) to herding animals (Rarely killing anything). These subtle changes took a long time to do, and are minute differences (Its not like a dog now has five legs and two heads now o.O).

Another example would be a fish (I think this has been used) which is usually in a really dark place its whole life. After a long time eventually that species of fish will lose their eyes because they no longer need them. That is the evolution I believe in.

Its the adaption to fit changing environments which works, not the evolving from some single cell thingy.

I believe in that then. I believe that God created Adam and put him on Earth...after he had spent some time in the gardens of Heaven. I dont believe that we evolved from a single cell either :p.

#177 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:19 PM

Abortion, Im not touching, Alias can/has done that.

With evolution though, I think its more against what supposodly happened after the "Big Bang". Science says we evolved from some micro organisms, calling that evolution. That is what I do not believe in, as the Bible tells me different. However, smaller changes which happen over a long period of time I believe in. Take dogs for example, at one time they were untamed beasts, now they do everything from retreiving stuff (Good hunters) to herding animals (Rarely killing anything). These subtle changes took a long time to do, and are minute differences (Its not like a dog now has five legs and two heads now o.O).

Another example would be a fish (I think this has been used) which is usually in a really dark place its whole life. After a long time eventually that species of fish will lose their eyes because they no longer need them. That is the evolution I believe in.

Its the adaption to fit changing environments which works, not the evolving from some single cell thingy.

In a way, I believe in single celled organisms growing to be different. But not in the way scientists are thinking. More or less, I believe single celled organisms adapted to whatever they had to with little to no change, where as multiple celled organisms were already alive. It's very complicated to explain. But I believe in adaption too.

(By the way - You and Hydrogen are the kind of religious people I like.)

Is seperation of church and state a law or just an ideal we have lol...

because if its law...then technically the bible shouldnt play any role at all :p

It's just an ideal. Never passed as a law. I think Casilla explained it once in a thread.

#178 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

In a way, I believe in single celled organisms growing to be different. But not in the way scientists are thinking. More or less, I believe single celled organisms adapted to whatever they had to with little to no change, where as multiple celled organisms were already alive. It's very complicated to explain. But I believe in adaption too.

You mean like, a bacteria changing as it goes through people and gets transfered and all that stuff? Like the flu? I think I get where you are going with this.

#179 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

You mean like, a bacteria changing as it goes through people and gets transfered and all that stuff? Like the flu? I think I get where you are going with this.

Sometihng like that.

#180 Will

Will
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

All religious scriptures that i know of are written in metaphoric form tongue.gif

True dat.

Althought Hydro I'm not sure if I get what you're saying when you said...

what i dont understand is why some religions have a problem with it...it makes perfect sense to me...why evolution and abortion can coexist with religion...

but then went on to say...

I dont believe that we evolved from a single cell either tongue.gif.

I don't think I get it. Are you saying you don't necessarily believe in evolution but that it can co-exist with the bible/qu'ran/torah or what?

#181 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

I don't think I get it. Are you saying you don't necessarily believe in evolution but that it can co-exist with the bible/qu'ran/torah or what?

He believes in evolution of animals such as dogs, but he doesn't believe humans evolved from apes. :p

#182 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:46 PM

i go through many ideas i think...like for the big bang...i think that could have just been Gods means of creating the Earth and the heavens. It says in the Qur'an that previously, both were in one single mass and then through an explosion, they were split asunder. Kinda a graphic description of the big bang O_o - i believe that astrological evolution is just God's means of creating. Remember, He created time too and is therefore outside of time. So saying that He made this in an instant, is irrelevant but also equivalent to saying He created it in 7 days or millions of years. God exists outside of time and therefore doesnt function in its linearity but in its absoluteness...

if that made any sense at all O_o

(By the way - You and Hydrogen are the kind of religious people I like.)

That has to be the best complement i have ever gotten :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Thats just what i do though :cool: Islam says just warn em of the truth :p, so i have now warned u :p. It's more important to me that i practice my religion properly...if people want to know more about it, they can ask me but im no one to force it on someone or make them listen :p

#183 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:53 AM

i go through many ideas i think...like for the big bang...i think that could have just been Gods means of creating the Earth and the heavens. It says in the Qur'an that previously, both were in one single mass and then through an explosion, they were split asunder. Kinda a graphic description of the big bang O_o - i believe that astrological evolution is just God's means of creating. Remember, He created time too and is therefore outside of time. So saying that He made this in an instant, is irrelevant but also equivalent to saying He created it in 7 days or millions of years. God exists outside of time and therefore doesnt function in its linearity but in its absoluteness...

if that made any sense at all O_oThat has to be the best complement i have ever gotten :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Thats just what i do though :cool: Islam says just warn em of the truth :p, so i have now warned u :p. It's more important to me that i practice my religion properly...if people want to know more about it, they can ask me but im no one to force it on someone or make them listen :p

Feel free to PM me. I am agnostic at the moment (though I nearly converted to Islam before, I'll give it a second shot.)

#184 BarCode

BarCode
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:51 PM

I'm pretty much neutral on this subject.

Firstly, I don't believe in God for many reasons

1) I'm a Psion (practice things such as telekinese, telepathy, etc) and I've learned that when you concentrate hard enough, you can make things happen. For example, Micro-Psytokinesis, (Micro-PK) which is the ability to control the outcome of things. Through enough practice, 7/10 times on a pair of dice, when I conentrate on rolling a combination, I get that combination. I don't think there is an all-powerful being that can make things happen.

2) If God existed, then why does he let so many natural diasasters happen. I've never read the Bible, but I do believe that in the Bible, it states something about Jesus returning to the Earth after a series of high-powered natural diasasters. Why wouldn't Jesus just come now and save us all from these diasasters instead of letting half the world get wiped out before coming?

3) Who wrote the Bible? For all we know, it could be some random person that was looking for attention at the time, and made a bunch of gibberish up to recieve it. For all I know, if I was the person who wrote the Bible, if I wrote 600 pages on how everyone but myself is a noob, people nowadays would probably be saying "We're all noobs combared to BarCode!"

I believe in evolution because:

1) Where did all these species of animals come from? Science shows that over time, things change. For example, psychics (not the fake ones) have the ability to get almost any information they want without looking for it, while non-psychics have to look for it. Could being psychic just be a part of the human evolution?

2) Cross-breeding. Scientists are able to breed 2 types of plant seeds to create a whole new food to the world, so why can't animals do this? They can for all I know. Who knows, maybe a gorilla and a monkey had sex and humans came from that. Nobody knows for sure.

3) Things are just suddenly created. Something had to occur to create atoms and molecules, which in turn evolved into objects. I think that atoms over time fused together (pretty much the Big Bang Theory) and thus the Earth, animals, life, everything was created. Space keeps expanded as far as science goes, so something is creating more space in space. Who knows, maybe this something is what caused our galaxy and species to be created.

And lastly, I'm neutral because

1) There are proven psychics, telepaths, precognists, telekinetics, etc. Theres the string theory; everything flows, and because something occurs, something else occurs because of it. What allows people to control things, or have the ability to get any information whenever they feel like? There must be some sort of special force out there that allows people to do this.

2) The supernatural. Some 8/10 (accurate?) people have experienced a supernatural event; it being precognition, or anything that may be too much of a coincidence to believe. Ever want to meet an old friend, or have a friend call you then it happens after you think about it? You just caused a supernatural event to occur. I forget what it's called, but if you try hard enough without realising it, you can make specific events happen.

Out of Body experiences are probably the most common. This is when you feel like you are weightless, and you feel like you're falling through your bed while you're trying to get to sleep. Your mind has temporarily left your body, and doesn't last for very long. Sometimes you can even see things in the psyical world while you are OOB.

3) And my last point of my rambling; you are your own person. Nobody controls you, you make your own decisions. Nobody can say "you're tired, go to bed or else" It's your body and subconcious that decides when you're tired enough to sleep. Nobody can make you sleep. For all those who say Hypnotists, I say no. Hypnotists put you into a trance, not a sleep.

So yea, I don't know if anybody read this, but I could list 100 more reasons for each subtopic that I listed.

#185 Bora

Bora
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

Why did God let so many natural disasters happen? Look at us humans. Things such as famine--they're caused by people. Hoarding more than they should be. Such as hurricanes, that's a result of nature rebalancing. Why does nature have to balance itself? Because we have thrown it out of whack.

That addresses one of your many points.

Edited by Demyx, 08 May 2006 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users