• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:59 PM

Well basically I am looking for someone to help me find the best computer parts they can to make the ultimate computer for under 1000 bucks. It should include everything from power to cooling to the cords it takes.

#2 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:04 PM

ok, making it right now..

EDIT: overclocking anything or running everything stock? jw, it makes a big difference in my decisions

Edited by Fatal, 19 May 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#3 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:25 PM

Either, What ever makes for a better computer.

#4 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:29 PM

ok I'll assume you will be overclocking then

#5 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

Need a mouse/keyboard/monitor/speakers ?

#6 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

yeah i need to know that too... so far im at 730.86$$

#7 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

Nope, no monitor mouse or anything like that. Just the case and everything that makes the computer Run.

#8 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:26 PM

Where is Trevor? He = teh shit w/ hardware stuff.

#9 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

I was wondering where he ran off too, seems their are more people on this community that have built or build computers than I thought.

one of the biggest things is it has to have good cooling. I don't necessarily mean like water or anything, just really good cooling. The location that this computer will be isn't the best kept cold area around.

#10 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

eh well unless you're doing hardcore overclocking, cooling isnt really a problem.. just need a case with 1-2 intake and exhaust fans, and make sure the heatsink is applied right with some good paste such as Arctic Silver 5

EDIT:

DONE:

CPU: Intel 930 3.0ghz Dual Core - (209.00$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116238

Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2 945P - (123.15$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131538

RAM: G.SKILL 2x1GB DDR2 2x1GB - (154.81$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231051

Video Card: Sapphire X850 XT - (128.00$)

http://www.newegg.co...82E16814102688R

Power Supply: OCZ PowerStream 520w - (106.00$)

http://www.monarchco...uct_Code=100346

CD-RW/DVD-RW Burner: BENQ 16X DVD±R - (39.90$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827101002

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami - (115$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133137

Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Heat Compound - (6$)

http://store.yahoo.c...cle/as5-3g.html

CPU Heatsink: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink - (28.33)

http://www.case-mod....806.html?src=fr

Hard Drive: Hitachi DeskStar 160gb - (65.00)

http://www.3gplaza.c...etails?id=37531

TOTAL INCLUDING SHIPPING: 975.19$

Edited by Fatal, 19 May 2006 - 09:57 PM.

#11 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

eh well unless you're doing hardcore overclocking, cooling isnt really a problem.. just need a case with 1-2 intake and exhaust fans, and make sure the heatsink is applied right with some good paste such as Arctic Silver 5

EDIT:
DONE:
CPU: Intel 930 3.0ghz Dual Core - (209.00$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116238

Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2 945P - (123.15$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131538

RAM: G.SKILL 2x1GB DDR2 2x1GB - (154.81$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231051

Video Card: Sapphire X850 XT - (128.00$)

http://www.newegg.co...82E16814102688R

Power Supply: OCZ PowerStream 520w - (106.00$)

http://www.monarchco...uct_Code=100346

CD-RW/DVD-RW Burner: BENQ 16X DVD±R - (39.90$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827101002

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami - (115$)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133137

Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Heat Compound - (6$)

http://store.yahoo.c...cle/as5-3g.html

CPU Heatsink: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink - (28.33)

http://www.case-mod....806.html?src=fr
Hard Drive: Hitachi DeskStar 160gb - (65.00)

http://www.3gplaza.c...etails?id=37531

TOTAL INCLUDING SHIPPING: 975.19$

I know it's not my topic but holy shit.../bookmark

I'd consider doing that 0_0 it looks really nice. You rock, Fatal!

#12 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:41 PM

I've been talking with Marine in MSN, and I've figured out a PC for him based on his specifications. Note, however, that the list does not include a case (since he told me not to worry about that), and with shipping the total comes to $1015. However, instead of pricewatch.coming everything separately, and paying much more in shipping for only a few dollars saved on each piece, we went with newegg.com to get everything in one place and pay only one shipping fee. (Plus newegg.com is pretty cheap, sometimes).

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$106.99
XFX PV-T71G-UDF7 GeForce 7900 GT (470MHz) 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
$279.99
ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply - Retail
$88.50
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail
$185.99
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered
$165.99
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V200E0 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$79.99
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM
$33.99
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$5.99
Thermaltake CL-P0200 Silent 938 K8 - AMD K8 solution w/ Heatpipe Cooling Tech - Retail
$29.99

Subtotal: $977.42

Alternatively, for $50 less, he could have gone with a AMD 64 3200+ instead of a 3500+.

Also, no sound card or floppy has been included, as onboard sound should do him fine, and he does not use a floppy drive. (Well, *I* do...<grumble>).

As for the DVD burner...NEC is the ONLY brand to go.

Also, regarding the power supply, I would not use any brand but Enermax, ever. ;) And the power-supply is SLI, which is what his mobo is. However, someone could opt for a cheaper wattage, but if he eventually goes dual graphics card (which again, the mobo supports), then you should be running at least 500W+.

Also, I never run any RAM except Kingston or Corsair. Considering the mobo, Kingston is best.

AND FURTHERMORE, some people cry, "Oh Asus is so expeeeeeeensive!" - while I know some people go cheaper boards, with Asus, you really do get the best, and get what you pay for. The best.

As for the graphics card...for some reason, the graphics card pricing is all out of whack...I think it's because of E3...so some of the lesser cards are actually more expensive right now. But ~$300 is the price you should expect to pay for any new graphics card. And I prefer nVidia over ATI, and so does the game market, too. For card memory - hardly any games REALLY take advantage of 256...and none, not even EQ2, use 512...so unless you are a 3D graphics artist...you should not be using 512. As for the manufacturer - any graphics card manufacturer is good (although some ARE better, most people really do not ever get a chance to experience the difference) EXCEPT eVGA...never buy them...they are just crap.

He wanted 200gig...Maxtor is always best for hard drives.

And of course, the cooling paste and fans are both good. Good fans are hard to find, so always read up before you buy. Sometimes fans are too big, too loud, or just aren't that good, so always read customer reviews! This model of Thermaltake is pretty popular.

Can you tell I'm brand choosy? It comes from experience, I'll tell you!

And that's it!

Oh, and...we're both AMD fans...Intel sucks...ESPECIALLY their dual cores. Their dual cores have been absolutely horrid. Do NOT buy Intel dual core, only buy AMD. The last good thing out of Intel was Pentium 4.

Edited by Casilla, 19 May 2006 - 10:43 PM.

#13 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:19 AM

actually the hardrive i linked is the best and newest out right now, it will own any HDD on the market except for a Western Digital Raptor... thx dck for appreciating the hours of work I did. Casilla, yours is wayy more, you didnt even include shipping like I did.. I could of made it MUCH better but the real total was 1024 after shipping so I didnt.. Casilla thats pretty funny of you, the pentium d's are doing better then the pentium 4's.. looks like you got it backwords. They're not as bad as people think @ 3.9/4ghz... My links were much more upgradable, all you would need is a new mobo, then you can upgrade your CPU to the conroe... even a ASUS P5WD2-E 975x unofficially supports the conroe

For the heatsink at least get an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro, you linked a heatsink thats terrible... compared to a 64 pro

EDIT 2 : 9xx series intel is 65nm compared to the 8xx series, the extra 2mb of L2 cache + 65nm give it a 3-5% increase in most games on the same clock speed as an 8xx series

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 12:28 AM.

#14 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:27 AM

Casilla did include the shiping.

#15 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:39 AM

Casilla did include the shiping.

no... 6 bux for AS5? + 5 bux shipping = 11...............

#16 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:41 AM

That is why she got everything from newegg. So it would be cheaper.

#17 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:41 AM

no... 6 bux for AS5? + 5 bux shipping = 11...............

It's all from the same source, so shipping is calculated together. The shipping listed on individuals is just if you bought that item by itself.

#18 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:42 AM

It's all from the same source, so shipping is calculated together. The shipping listed on individuals is just if you bought that item by itself.

On all of those prices, its not with shipping... shipping isnt free.. it adds up for each item.. and if you get combined shipping discounts, you still have to pay for each item

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 12:45 AM.

#19 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:06 AM

actually the hardrive i linked is the best and newest out right now, it will own any HDD on the market except for a Western Digital Raptor... thx dck for appreciating the hours of work I did.

First off, he wanted 200gigs, which is what I got him. Second off, Hitachi is not the best brand, Maxtor is by far the superior brand. Once again, this is from experience. My roommate and I have built over a hundred computers between each other, and we agree on ALL the brands I have listed, although he will go ATI along with nVidia, whereas I stick to nVidia only (unless someone specifically request ATI - their computer, after all).

Casilla thats pretty funny of you, the pentium d's are doing better then the pentium 4's.. looks like you got it backwords. They're not as bad as people think @ 3.9/4ghz...

No, the Pentium D's have not been doing very well at all (unless you mean by sales - a lot of ignorant buyers from major computer chains have been buying them, if that's what you mean). The problem with the Intel chips is that they have been pushing for speed without regard for chip stability. AMDs may have slower normal clock speeds, but generally, when it comes to actual processing, the AMD multi-tasks much more efficiently than the Intels, so the result is equal, if not surpassing Intel capabilities. And with overclocking, the results are much more defined.

My links were much more upgradable, all you would need is a new mobo, then you can upgrade your CPU to the conroe... even a ASUS P5WD2-E 975x unofficially supports the conroe

Ah, it's not a "small upgrade" to upgrade your mobo + cpu. Now, for Intel, the Conroe does look promising, and is the best known so far, although I haven't heard of any hardcore tests yet. However, even Intel has admitted that by the time Conroe is on the market, AMD will have their dual core DDR2 on the market - which, knowing AMD and its current chipset, will still be the superior CPU, since Conroe's chipset is the first time that Intel ever really worked on stability.

Of course, you are right, I am outfitting Marine using DDR instead of DDR2, as AMD does not have a DDR2 CPU out yet. But his system will remain on the top for quite a few years, as the mobo has room for 4gigs, and of course, he can get dual PCIe graphics cards (which will continue to get better). For pretty much anything an extreme gamer can do, this will be more than enough for the next two years. I'm using a two year-old system (AMD, of course, Athlon XP 2600+), with 2 gigs of PC2700 RAM and a GeForce 6800 GT 256...and let me tell you, it's ALL in the RAM size and graphics card. My roommate has a much newer CPU (about six months old, I am not sure what he has, but it is AMD), and because of my RAM and graphics card, I still run games better than him. <shrugs>

Although, I am waiting on AMD Dual Core DDR2's to come out to upgrade, and while Marine could also wait on those, not only would it be much more expensive, but he probably would not use dual core technology enough to be worth it. As I work on 3D Graphics editing, I do. =P

For the heatsink at least get an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro, you linked a heatsink thats terrible... compared to a 64 pro

Um, no, it is not a terrible heatsink. It is one of the better heatsinks out there for the average to lower-hardcore gamers. Now, if you were an extremely hardcore gamer/overclocker, there ARE better heatsinks (bigger, noisier, more of a hassle), but it certainly isn't the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, which is a rather large fan (and that is not always a good thing, depending on your mobo and case size). Of course, the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro isn't even for an AMD chipset, it is for Intel, and Marine has specified that he wants AMD. And it cannot self-regulate temperatures, which is an absolute must for over-heating Intels.

On all of those prices, its not with shipping... shipping isnt free.. it adds up for each item.. and if you get combined shipping discounts, you still have to pay for each item

Okay, then why don't you go to that website and add those items to your cart? The total is $977.42, and with shipping, that comes to $1015, or Newegg.com's shopping cart tells me. Of course, their shopping cart may be wrong, and a hidden charge may be applied after he pays...but that would be illegal. Of course, this is to MARINE'S location...to LA, where you are, shipping is a bit less (although not by much). ALSO, you're in California (like I am, le sigh), so you will pay like $70 in tax, too. People outside of California don't have to pay, though. =/ Lucky bums.

Edited by Casilla, 20 May 2006 - 01:10 AM.

#20 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:31 AM

[quote name='Casilla' date='May 20 2006, 01:06 AM' post='642065'
Um, no, it is not a terrible heatsink. It is one of the better heatsinks out there for the average to lower-hardcore gamers. Now, if you were an extremely hardcore gamer/overclocker, there ARE better heatsinks (bigger, noisier, more of a hassle), but it certainly isn't the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, which is a rather large fan (and that is not always a good thing, depending on your mobo and case size). Of course, the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro isn't even for an AMD chipset, it is for Intel, and Marine has specified that he wants AMD. And it cannot self-regulate temperatures, which is an absolute must for over-heating Intels.
[/quote]

You might wanna read my posts before you post....

"For the heatsink at least get an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro, you linked a heatsink thats terrible... compared to a 64 pro"

^ from my post above

Arctic Freezer's are silent, very easy to install... made by arctic cooling, which is the well known heatsink company that makes the heatsinks on the HIS IceQ cards... Not even that big for the case he wants to get.... so no you dont have any points.. small fans are ineffiencent, loud, squeely and dont usually get the job done

Im not even going to continue... its too funny...

2.8 AMD = 4.1ghz intel..... 930s are capable of around 4.4... I dont see most AMD's even hitting 2.8.. = a loss

This is 2006... all new games are getting supported by dual core.. single core athlons were worthless a half year ago.. even if you want an Opteron 165 or a 3800+ X2... its still more then an Intel 940... which can clock VERY high.

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 01:38 AM.

#21 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:37 AM

Ah, I thought that was a typo on your part. Still, it applies. The fan is big, and not easy to install, and depending on the mobo and the case, may be a very tricky install.

The problem with heatsinks is that people think BIGGER=BETTER. And while in some cases that is true, not always is it so. Material plays a large part in heatsinks, as do functionality and design. Just because it's more expensive and is bigger does not make it a better heatsink. Looking at reviews, it does indeed seem to have problem with being a tight fit, in that it covers the memory slots. So that in order to replace or change out memory, he would have to remove the heatsink. Bit of a bitch, eh?

Also, it seems that parts of the heatsink are flimsy and break off easily. Remember to do your homework when researching computer parts!

2.8 AMD = 4.1ghz intel..... 930s are capable of around 4.4... I dont see most AMD's even hitting 2.8.. = a loss

This is 2006... all new games are getting supported by dual core.. single core athlons were worthless a half year ago.. even if you want an Opteron 165 or a 3800+ X2... its still more then an Intel 940... which can clock VERY high.

Obviously you understand very little about chip stability and multi-tasking versus brute clocking speed. Brute clocking speed doesn't get you anywhere if the chipset can't handle it. A AMD with 2.2Ghz gets better, if not superior, processing than an Intel at 4.4Ghz. CLOCKING SPEED means nothing in computing if the CPU cannot handle processing. Which Intel LGA's cannot. So, when you actually RUN tests on the chips, side by side, an AMD chip that clocks at 2.2Ghz versus an Intel chip that clocks at 4.4Ghz - the AMD will actually run FASTER than the Intel. Because the Intel cannot process very well. ;) AMDs always get higher fps (frames per second) in games and of course, if you are a person who likes to run programs in the background, AMD is able to handle that over Intel (which has very little multi-tasking capabilities). AMD CPUs encode music, images and video quicker - they do EVERYTHING quicker, even though their clock speed is half of Intel's, in most cases.

That is why you see a $500 AMD CPU out there that clocks at only 2.4Ghz - it's the better CPU, and anyone who knows a lick about computing knows that. <_<

If you were to run ONE process on your computer...then sure, get an Intel. It will be much faster than an AMD. And I'm sure that there are schools and businesses out there who buy Intel because they need fast processing speeds to crunch numbers - which, as long as you are not running any sort of background processes, Intel is better for. However, if you're going to be running an graphics or music or video editing software - or a game - and want better performance - then you must go AMD. And that ignores other background processes like chat programs or streaming/playing music, or whatever.

Edited by Casilla, 20 May 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#22 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:40 AM

Please read some reviews on it, I have a Freezer 7 pro for my Intel, its very easy to install, same with the 64 Pro... And I can bring up examples where bigger = better.

Thermaltake Typhoon.. Probably the biggest and heaviest heatsink out right now, and still beats them all in most reviews/benchmarks. And really, how often do you change out memory unless you swap parts every day like me?.. Come on now.. I do my homework , every day 24/7. Yes I broke a little peice of plastic off my Freezer 7 that people are complaining about, but it didnt make any difference in the end...... Just be safe, and you're fine.. Its a very well priced heatsink with great performance, great tech support, by a company we've known for years. Also for the posts above, I havent seen any AMD's even come close to 14 seconds on a 1M Super Pi

Iv owned:

Various Stock intel heatsinks
XP-90
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
Arctic Freezer 4
ThermalTake Typhoon
Zalman 7000ALCU

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 01:49 AM.

#23 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:00 AM

Please read some reviews on it, I have a Freezer 7 pro for my Intel, its very easy to install, same with the 64 Pro... And I can bring up examples where bigger = better.
Thermaltake Typhoon.. Probably the biggest and heaviest heatsink out right now, and still beats them all in most reviews/benchmarks. And really, how often do you change out memory unless you swap parts every day like me?.. Come on now.. I do my homework , every day 24/7. Yes I broke a little peice of plastic off my Freezer 7 that people are complaining about, but it didnt make any difference in the end...... Just be safe, and you're fine.. Its a very well priced heatsink with great performance, great tech support, by a company we've known for years. Also for the posts above, I havent seen any AMD's even come close to 14 seconds on a 1M Super Pi
Iv owned:

Various Stock intel heatsinks
XP-90
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
Arctic Freezer 4
ThermalTake Typhoon
Zalman 7000ALCU

Well, while I'm sure your Freezer 7 Pro for Intel is just fine...but that does not make you an expert on Freezer 7 Pro for AMD - and yes, covering memory slots is a BIG deal. Mobo temperature is important, too, not just CPU. You do not want parts touching.

And I did not say that in ALL cases bigger was not better. I just said in most. Yes, I agree that Thermaltake Typhoon is a great heatsink. I would not agree that Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is better than Thermaltake CL-P0200 for AMD.

You honestly do not understand the difference between clock speed and CPU performance? It seems like you are an Intel fanboy that has never experienced what an AMD can do. I pity you. What exactly do you put that "superior" Intel technology to use at? I'm sure it runs Notepad superbly.

Edited by Casilla, 20 May 2006 - 02:03 AM.

#24 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:09 AM

Well, while I'm sure your Freezer 7 Pro for Intel is just fine...but that does not make you an expert on Freezer 7 Pro for AMD - and yes, covering memory slots is a BIG deal. Mobo temperature is important, too, not just CPU. You do not want parts touching.

And I did not say that in ALL cases bigger was not better. I just said in most. Yes, I agree that Thermaltake Typhoon is a great heatsink. I would not agree that Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is better than Thermaltake CL-P0200 for AMD.

You honestly do not understand the difference between clock speed and CPU performance? It seems like you are an Intel fanboy that has never experienced what an AMD can do. I pity you. What exactly do you put that "superior" Intel technology to use at? I'm sure it runs Notepad superbly.

Uhh actually as you can see in my sig, folding, and everyone who folds KNOWS Intels are MUCH faster at folding. Ok

#2 ... I run a CS server on it , 14 slots with a 16000/2000 connection.

#3. It does lotssssss of encoding/downloading at the same time while its folding and running a CS server

#4. Iv used basicly every type of AMD so far except the X2/dual core opterons, which im sure are great, just a bit over priced IMO... No im not an Intel fanboy, the reason I dont have any AMD parts at the moment is because at the time I bought all this, I had already bought my video card/mobo/parts etc... so when AMD started getting good when venices etc, I already had my parts. Yes I do know AMD's are more effecient then most Intels. I stated that on my last post......

Ill say it again........ *sigh*

2.8 AMD = 4.1ghz intel about...

most AMD's dont hit 2.8... and intels hit 4.2-4.4 commonly

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 02:21 AM.

#25 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:44 AM

Uhh actually as you can see in my sig, folding, and everyone who folds KNOWS Intels are MUCH faster at folding. Ok

#2 ... I run a CS server on it , 14 slots with a 16000/2000 connection.

#3. It does lotssssss of encoding/downloading at the same time while its folding and running a CS server

#4. Iv used basicly every type of AMD so far except the X2/dual core opterons, which im sure are great, just a bit over priced IMO... No im not an Intel fanboy, the reason I dont have any AMD parts at the moment is because at the time I bought all this, I had already bought my video card/mobo/parts etc... so when AMD started getting good when venices etc, I already had my parts. Yes I do know AMD's are more effecient then most Intels. I stated that on my last post......

Ill say it again........ *sigh*
2.8 AMD = 4.1ghz intel about...

most AMD's dont hit 2.8... and intels hit 4.2-4.4 commonly

Yes, folding is exactly like what I was referring to when I said that Intel chips are better designed for one process. =P Folding is a complex calculation, but it IS only one process. A calculation. Heh. So of course an Intel would be faster, especially an overclock Intel.

But for NORMAL computing - in which people actually use a variety of programs, often at once, there is in no question that AMD is superior. And you will have to point out where you said AMD was more efficient - because I cannot find that. I have said it before, in many things in life, Efficiency is King. A fast clocking speed does not mean didly squat if the processing is inefficient.

And is it QUICK encoding? =P That is the key, here. I did not say Intel could not encode, I said that AMD does it quicker.

I don't know WHY you continue to argue this. Marine has already said, hands down, that he prefers AMD over Intel. So it is not like you are going to get him to buy Intel. =P

AMD's are not over-priced. The problem is that people go for the higher clock speeds because they somehow think that a 2.0Ghz chip is inferior to an Intel chip of the same price, and it is not, by a long shot.

And it does not matter how well you think your Intel chip runs the Counter-Strike server. The AMD runs it better. That is why all professional server hosts have switched to AMD dual cores over Intel dual cores. Although some of their cheaper servers still use Xeons. Not that Xeons aren't good servers...they are...but they have been well overshadowed.

AMD 2.2Ghz ~ Intel 4.2-4.4 when it comes to performance. For reasons I have already listed. An Intel simply cannot out-perform an AMD. Now, the Conroe will equalize the playing field a bit for the current AMD chips; it is a large step on Intel's part. However, AMD will have a new chip out by then, as well. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users