Build the BEST COMPUTER under 1000 bucks

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:05 AM

Yes, folding is exactly like what I was referring to when I said that Intel chips are better designed for one process. =P Folding is a complex calculation, but it IS only one process. A calculation. Heh. So of course an Intel would be faster, especially an overclock Intel.

But for NORMAL computing - in which people actually use a variety of programs, often at once, there is in no question that AMD is superior. And you will have to point out where you said AMD was more efficient - because I cannot find that. I have said it before, in many things in life, Efficiency is King. A fast clocking speed does not mean didly squat if the processing is inefficient.

And is it QUICK encoding? =P That is the key, here. I did not say Intel could not encode, I said that AMD does it quicker.

I don't know WHY you continue to argue this. Marine has already said, hands down, that he prefers AMD over Intel. So it is not like you are going to get him to buy Intel. =P

AMD's are not over-priced. The problem is that people go for the higher clock speeds because they somehow think that a 2.0Ghz chip is inferior to an Intel chip of the same price, and it is not, by a long shot.

And it does not matter how well you think your Intel chip runs the Counter-Strike server. The AMD runs it better. That is why all professional server hosts have switched to AMD dual cores over Intel dual cores. Although some of their cheaper servers still use Xeons. Not that Xeons aren't good servers...they are...but they have been well overshadowed.

AMD 2.2Ghz ~ Intel 4.2-4.4 when it comes to performance. For reasons I have already listed. An Intel simply cannot out-perform an AMD. Now, the Conroe will equalize the playing field a bit for the current AMD chips; it is a large step on Intel's part. However, AMD will have a new chip out by then, as well. ;)

Equalise? more like, fucking own it by 60fps?

2.66ghz conroe on air ties a FX-60 @ 3.60 on phase

Um.. funny... show me some legit benchmarks of 2.2ghz owning 4.4... link me

Pricewise my point was, a 940 will clock 4.4-4.6........ = about a 3.0ish AMD.... again, not many hit 3ghz and the weeks/steppings have a huge part in AMD whereas they dont in Intel, basicly only revision matters for intel

Ok heres a little comparison:

According to Sandra, my 2.8E @ 3.62 is beating an Intel 570 (3.8ghz) I guess because of the increased bus speed... now heres a benchmark comparing a 570 and a 3700+ sandy..... keep in mind a 570 is worse than a 670

http://img204.images...207241708bt.png[/img][/url]

Divx 6?

http://img210.images...207241703ar.png

PCMark 05 - CPU?

http://img210.images...207241580xn.png

WinRar?

http://img210.images...207241585is.png

Lame MP3 Encoder?

http://img210.images...207241584ef.png

XviD...

http://img210.images...207241587rj.png

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 03:45 AM.

#27 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

Equalise? more like, fucking own it by 60fps?
2.66ghz conroe on air ties a FX-60 @ 3.60 on phase

Right. I said Conroe was a good chip. However, there is still FX-62, and the AM2 versions of 64 & 64 X2 have yet to be taken into account. The FX line has generally NOT been a good line for AMD.

According to Sandra, my 2.8E @ 3.62 is beating an Intel 570 (3.8ghz) I guess because of the increased bus speed... now heres a benchmark comparing a 570 and a 3700+ sandy..... keep in mind a 570 is worse than a 670

Right, you have DDR chipset getting 0.4 fps under a DDR2 chipset? And that is something to brag about? Especially considering that the FX-57 was considered a let down in AMD-world.

If you ran ONE other program in the background while playing that, you would get significantly higher results on the AMDs, across the board. For example, a lot of gamers have XFire running in the background.

FPS is much more important on online applications, as well, than it is with single-player. Of course, FPS is altered by Internet connection (of course), but you notice significant framerate differences in heavily graphics-intensive games like EQ2 on an Intel versus an AMD, and EQ2 was MADE for the Intel chipset. It's kinda sad when you have programs made for Intel that don't run best on Intel.

Of course, Marine isn't going to be playing MMOs like EQ2. He's doing CS, Call of Duty and Halo, all of which are relatively low on the graphics intensive. Although he SHOULD get BF2. <_< You'll use CPU performance for that, that's for sure.

EDIT: God, CHANGE those images to links. You are really spamming up the board. I can visit links well enough without having huge images. <_<

Edited by Casilla, 20 May 2006 - 03:31 AM.

#28 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:33 AM

uhh I dont know where you've been, but Intels have been better multi taskers all this time... which is why HT was created. huge images? it fits perfectly on the page? lol you must be using a low res... time to upgrade that monitor... and i dont know how to change them now so ...

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 03:36 AM.

#29 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

uhh I dont know where you've been, but Intels have been better multi taskers all this time... which is why HT was created. huge images? it fits perfectly on the page? lol you must be using a low res... time to upgrade that monitor... and i dont know how to change them now so ...

No, as in, they are huge long-wise. Just edit your thread. I DO know how to go to tomshardware.com. Which I suggest YOU do and look up multi-tasking, and you will see how Intel is clearly NOT the winner.

Also, look up Unreal Tournament and Farcry, and you will get the idea on how AMD owns the online gaming scene, as well. It's all about performance, not speed.

I have a 19" flatscreen, thank you very much.

Edited by Casilla, 20 May 2006 - 03:43 AM.

#30 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:42 AM

ok heres proof, even with background apps:

http://www.anandtech...spx?i=2389&p=11

gg

#31 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:44 AM

ok heres proof, even with background apps:
http://www.anandtech...spx?i=2389&p=11

gg

Good job finding an article that's a year old.

You are comparing a single core to a dual core when it comes to mulit-tasking? Nice.

The tables have now been turned. While the Athlon 64 held a 30% lead with no multitasking, it's now outpaced by both Intel processors, with the Pentium D holding a 25% performance advantage.

It's no surprise that having two cores yield less of a performance impact to having more applications run in the background.

So the only way Intel has EVER been able to out-beat AMD in multi-tasking was by releasing a dual core before they did.

Edited by Casilla, 20 May 2006 - 03:48 AM.

#32 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:45 AM

this matters why? AMD was winning more a year ago then now.. do you have any explanation for my link? ... think your getting stuck right here

EDIT:

You are comparing a single core to a dual core when it comes to mulit-tasking? Nice.

uhh look at the 630........... read please?

630 = single core .. ;) gg

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 03:50 AM.

#33 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:32 AM

For anyone following this, we've taken this over to IMs. =P

But I did misread the article.

It seems we agree to disagree, but AMD has always, and continues, to be the better multi-tasking. =P You can't take one example and say that's that.

#34 Rush

Rush
  • 1812 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:48 AM

i have never seen a girl so good with computers: :wub: (PS: i am not sexist ^_^)
my suggestion for a bigger harddrive thats cheaper: Clickie

Edited by Rush, 20 May 2006 - 05:51 AM.

#35 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:14 PM

For anyone following this, we've taken this over to IMs. =P

But I did misread the article.

It seems we agree to disagree, but AMD has always, and continues, to be the better multi-tasking. =P You can't take one example and say that's that.

Aww I was learning alot or useful info from both sides of view.

If you guys ever come to agreed on which is the better processor-overall-between Intel and AMD processors(yeah not even) post it.

And correct me and teach me if I'm wrong but I heard Seagates are the best brand for hard drives.

#36 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:23 PM

Seagates are very reliable and still have good performance, but usually not "THE BEST"... Like I said , Hitachi and Western Digital are the best right now. But anyways Intel has been winning in games for a while now, with the Dothan and Yonah

Link:

Yonah @ 2.92Ghz on AIR... BEATS an FX-60 @ 3.37Ghz on VapoChill (Phase)

http://www.xtremesys...ead.php?t=90743

Air would be like 30c temps, and phase would be like -100c :p

EOCF Discussion Thread:

http://forums.extrem...ad.php?t=211531

OK I asked some people @ EOCF.

Windows Live PWNZ BIOHazard87 @ [EOCF] | says:
Do you think Intel HT's multi task better than AMD single cores?

UberL33tJarad says:
Yes

Do you think Intel HT's multi task better then AMD single cores?

x/X/x kev182 [EOCF] says:
lol yea
for sure

BrettVanKirk @ EOCF says:
Of course
anyone should agree with that

. corey says:
yea

Edited by Fatal, 20 May 2006 - 04:13 PM.

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

Didn't read all of it...
But
Cassilla > Fatal
AMD ROCKS! :p (I am on dual 3800s)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users