• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Damage

Damage
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

Auction Sniping - A Simple Technique.

The Auctions
When I first got on, I used to sit at the first page and get a feel for the speeds of the auctions. There different every time. I refreshed and looked at the bottem item, waited five seconds and then refreshed again. I looked for that item to see how many spots it lowered. For example.
20 : Race to Riches Scratchcard
5 seconds then refresh
9 : Race to Riches Scratchcard
That item moved 11 spots in 5 seconds. I keep doing that for a couple of minutes, and figure out the average amount of spots it will drop during 5 seconds. And I also switched it up. Waited 3 seconds instead of 5 to refresh. Knowing how many spots it will drop give you a basic idea on how much time you have. Using my same example - if it's auction number was 11, I know I have around 5 seconds until it ends. So I want to put my bid in at around 3.5-4 seconds.

The Pages
[ Auctions 1 - 20 ][ 21 - 40 ][ 41 - 60 ][ 61 - 80 ][ 81+ ]
For the technique I'm going to show you, it really dosen't matter what page you're on. But, if you don't like my technique, I'll go ahead and explain some things about the pages anyway.
I have 2 names for the pages. One, is the bidding page[Where you get ready to make your bids], and the others are the scounting pages.[Where you search for items, and still have enough time to place a bid.]

[1-20] This is more of a bidding page. But if you have a good internet connection, you could use this page to look for items aswell and, still have time too bid.
[21-40] This is in between a bidding page, and a scouting page. For people with notsogood connections, this is where you get ready to make a bid. But you'd have to have a really slow connection to get ready to bid here.
[41-60+] These are scouting pages. You look for your items you want to win, and get ready for them. And if you don't know if there is a profit or not, you still have a little bit of time to look it up on the Shop Wizard.

The Rule
In the auctions, there is a 5k limit rule. Which means you can't bid over 5k of the last bidder.
Now here comes the hard part for me, a skill you have to develope. You have to decide how much your going to bid to win. Say were going after a paintbrush that is worth 400k. The current price is 270k and it's on the front page, it's item number is 7. Think about it, theres a nice little profit here, your not the only one trying to get it. Theres probably 8+ people waiting to throw their bid in. For an item with a profit like this, you don't want to bid the minimum 5k, you want to go higher in hope that someone else has already bidded. It all depends on the item and it's profit. (I never really mastered this skill) I would bid around 290-295k.

Why bid so much more than last bid that you *see*? Since it's a nice profit, good snipers are going to be there using the same idea as you. While were waiting users that have no knowledge of the auctions are steadily bumping it up in hope to win it, basically n00bs. Not waiting until the last second because they think they will run out of time. Who has the better chance? Someone who keeps bidding, going to the page where it says "Your bid of xxxx is successful" then going back to the auction and keep trying, or the person waiting until the last chance to put a bid in? The other snipers who are waiting until the last second, just like you are the only ones you should fear. You have to try and outbid them, along with out-smart them. The people who keep bidding the minimum increment are no problem. So the n00bs just keep bidding and when it gets down the the last second, everyone puts their bid in. Obviously, it's going to be 5k higher than the bid that you *saw* before you went to bid.
I really don't know how to explain this so it isn't that confusing.

The Technique
Some people here might already use this way, but it took me some time to figure it out. It was so simple, it was hard.

But, what's best about this, is you can find an item on any scouting page and watch it, and still know when it's going to end.
1. Open two internet pages up and go to the auction you want.
2. Minimise one so where you can only see the auction box.
3. Leave the other window open on the front page of the auction.
4. If you feel like it, you can minimize another window to the Shop Wiz page if you don't have enough time to search it.
Heres a screenie

So with them two pages open, you now know
How long you should have to place a bid.
How much the top bid is.
How much you must bid to win.
Back when I used to do it, I only had one window open. And I would wait until the item got lower, and go to the page real fast and make a bid. And that strategy didn't work out to well.

Items
I have't sniped in a while, and I don't know the current prices of items. The most popular item I saw were maps. Lab and Treasure maps. But these drew alot of attention. If your a smaller sniper, like myself, you want to look for items with small profit. Like Codestones, and Faeries. Smaller the profit = Smaller amount of good snipers. What would a rich sniper want to do with a measly 3-4k profit? Nothing, so they're going to leave them alone. If you stock up on them, you can make a nice amount. If you win 30 codestones a day consistently, it's going to turn into a nice amount. And the longer you keep doing this, the better you will get. Eventually you will move up, winning bigger, better items, learning more about the auctions and different techniques, etc.

I noticed this was the only guide section for Neopets, and this isn't a game so I didn't know where to put this. If it's in the wrong spot, please someone move it.

Sorry, I don't have Microsoft Word, so I can't spell check x_x

#2 Gen

Gen
  • Ye old gen

• 1871 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:40 AM

nice guide for those who aren't good at sniping in auction house, is where I restock, basically, since I can always get codestones and faeries cheaper than they are, and always earn a good profit, like 500np-1k(it can seems not good, but if you multiply it for 30, like he said, you'll got a good profit) you'll only need time, to know how much everything costs, if he permits I want to pout soemthing there:
Have in your head what you want, I mean, if you want codestones, see all the prices to know what you're going to buy, I mean, a main codestone can value 6k and a tai-kai have a value of 4k...Is it a big difference, you just need to see before you start snipping, or you'll hit yourself in the head -_-(I did this once, I bough one codestone for 4,8k ad it values was 4.001. But sometime syou win, sometimes you lose...)
Anyway, good luck to all that are going to auction snipe, and Damage's methods, they are good and work =)

#3 shabba

shabba

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

This is brilliant!

Im really looking at making a program to do this, do you wanna guide me thorugh this abit more I know it was really detailed but its been awhile since ive been on neopets.
I wanna work out a perfect method of figuring out how much time you have left...

Ive kinda figured another method its abit more work, but theres a reason.
Lets say we look at a item in place 20
1. First search position 20
2. Wait 5 seconds
3. Next position 15
4. Wait 5
5. Next position 10
6.Work out average 1 second per position
7. Test again with different value.
8. Wait 3 seconds
9. Position 7
10. Wait 3 seconds
11. Position 4
We now knock that its a second a position, good in theory but if neopets fucks up and takes too long to load we are gunna be buggered, so we wait until its position 2. Then we put in our first bid if its in the range we are willing to spend, Refresh straight away and see if there are any other snippers about. If there are then we know to keep watching it. If not then we still watch it just with a lesser page loading time. Now its position 1, and we've gotta put our bid in, so we put our bid in, and refresh until the price changes or the bid is done.

What do you think?

#4 Damage

Damage
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

I really know nothing about programs so I wouldn't know.
I'm not sure how often the time changes from when I have got the average amount of time, but it usually stayed the same through my whole sniping session. Maybe about 2 hours long?
I haven't sniped in god knows how long.
Don't know if that helps or not, but xD

Read it through more.
So you want to make a program, that gets the average amount of time for it to end, from postion (whatever)?
I'm stuck with you on what if TNT messes up and it takes longer...
Maybe the program be like a Kad Feeder? It's always online, timing/figuring out the average about ever x minutes?

Edited by Damage, 13 December 2006 - 05:05 PM.

#5 Damage

Damage
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

Super Shop Wiz? Isn't there a rule where you can't buy anything unbuyable or something like that? I remember there being a commotion about something with it, where people couldn't make as much nps.

Thanks. If anyone has any other sections I can add too it, that'd be great.

#6 jlau628

jlau628
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

great guide

#7 zachafer

zachafer
  • 1566 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:32 PM

nice guide m8

#8 Insanedragonz

Insanedragonz
  • 3011 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

Auction Sniping is easy to make neopoints but it consumes lots of time and you must have a very good up to date price of most of the items in neopets.

Pretty nice and simple guide by the way smile.gif

#9 Johnbon

Johnbon
  • 1228 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:22 AM

let me tell you all this, shabba your method would not be reliable. The auctions never have a set speed. I have made my own auction grabber and studied the auctions for days. they all move completely differently. item 13 may take 10 seconds to move 20 places, and 1 minute later item 13 may take 15 seconds.

best off to just use an AG. i shall be releasing mine soon (it is fully working)

#10 shabba

shabba

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Well it would work then o.O
I would just hold each item in its own time array, I knew that each item would move at a different speed, its just finding out when it does wink.gif

#11 Johnbon

Johnbon
  • 1228 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

it may move the first 5 in 10 seconds ie (15-10), but the next 5 are usually different (i have tested them). for it to get from (10-5) would take e.g. 14 seconds

yes with chance it would work, but it would not be as simple as you would imagine.

Edited by Johnbon, 17 December 2006 - 12:55 PM.

#12 xthephantomgatex

xthephantomgatex
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:52 AM

This Helped me so much! thanks

#13 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:33 AM

Duude we so gotta make a program out of this. We gotta bring back the auctioners! crybaby.gif

#14 Nenofyn

Nenofyn
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

No matter if there is a time speed or not I tried earning through auctions.
Never really liked it though xD I see many good deals but everytime I am not fast enough... -.- That really starts to svck after a while tongue.gif

Nice guide though biggrin.gif

#15 lara

lara
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:44 AM

Nice guide, very helpful, thanks!

#16 Damage

Damage
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

Wow, haven't been on in a while. Nice to know people are looking at this guide though. Is there any word on this program? Or have yous come to a conclusion that it just won't work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users