Quantcast

Photo

Do You Believe in God?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe in God?

Do you belive in God?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(Ali @ Dec 20 2006, 05:17 PM) View Post
Don't believe in God because I've never had any reason to...
I've never had any proof nor have I felt any great need to have a god in my life.
*Shrugs*

That's pretty much my exact reasoning also.

#52 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 21 2006, 11:16 PM) View Post
And those who don't "need Him" better think again.

Is that a threat? tongue.gif

#53 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 21 2006, 11:42 PM) View Post
Didn't mean to make it sound like one, I tried editing it, but no it's not a threat tongue.gif

So why should we think again?

God did give us free will so we could choose whether or not to believe in him after all, right? tongue.gif

Edited by Laser Wave, 21 December 2006 - 03:57 PM.

#54 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Hum, this topic is a tad blinkered.

Was it meant to ask about the Christian God? Or just a god in general? Or a higher power such as karma?
Silly, nonspecific terms you people use these days.

#55 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

Maybe you can't interpert that good.

#56 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Frizzle @ Dec 22 2006, 01:04 AM) View Post
Maybe you can't interpert that good.

You're right, I need to work on my interpertation skills tongue.gif

#57 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

But alias .. god .. its so beyond me. How can you believe in something just based on what others have tought you? How can you be so sure in something that youve never seen, touched, and nobody else around you has?
Sure the whole "I BELIEVE" thing, but doesnt all those matters make it kinda .. hard to?

#58 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

This is why I like maths.
It's all cold, hard fact happy.gif

#59 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Religion is based on blind faith. Plus with works of prophets and majority of the world believing in something, it shows that theres alot of faith out there.

Plus this would begin to go along the lines of the have you ever touch or smelt a thought?

#60 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 22 2006, 01:10 AM) View Post
Well make up your mind if you believe in Him or not because if you don't then you just contradicted yourself because now you're admitting that He gives us free will, which is the equivalent of admitting He exists, which would be contradicting.

It wasn't actually a real question, we call it sarcasm over here. rolleyes.gif

#61 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

People need to earn my faith and respect, if a God can't even be arsed to prove 'himself', then i don't see why i should have faith in 'him'...

Just my opinion of course. tongue.gif

#62 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:25 PM

Maybe he does, just not in the most obvious ways. But then again since he is so great, shouldnt you try and find him?

#63 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

Out of interest, why is it more reassuring to believe that everything you do whilst alive is nothing but a test to see whether you get into heaven?

And, if you're going to go with the whole eternal-forgiveness angle, why is it reassuring to believe that everything you do here is pointless, since your evils will be forgiven anyway?

#64 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

QUOTE(Frizzle @ Dec 22 2006, 01:25 AM) View Post
Maybe he does, just not in the most obvious ways. But then again since he is so great, shouldnt you try and find him?

If he is so great i shouldn't have to find him, what with him being omnipresent and all that. whistling.gif

Surely he knows how to email me. tongue.gif

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 22 2006, 01:26 AM) View Post
It's funny, He's trying to talk to you right now, and yet you're sitting here blindly ignoring Him.

Of the many voices i hear in my head, none of them call themselves God. wink.gif

Edited by Laser Wave, 21 December 2006 - 05:29 PM.

#65 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

"I could never believe this complex methods randomly happened."

.. but you can believe in some ultimate being creating everything in seven (six? x.x) days.

#66 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(cara @ Dec 22 2006, 01:28 AM) View Post
"I could never believe this complex methods randomly happened."

.. but you can believe in some ultimate being creating everything in seven (six? x.x) days.

There's a debate in what that means, it could mean days, or years, or milleni...or however you spell it.

#67 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 22 2006, 01:31 AM) View Post
So now you're telling God what to do? How can you just make assumptions like that? If you were a scientist you would be mocked your entire life if you held views like that.

So it's fine for 'him' to tell me what to do, but not the other way around? Interesting...

#68 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

Science is based on assumptions, which you then test.

Based on my investigations, I can be at least 95% sure God doesn't have the internet.

#69 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 21 2006, 08:29 PM) View Post
Well what other option do I have? Besides being lazy and not picking any, the earth either got here by accident or it was designed with a purpose. I choose to believe it was designed on purpose.

But at least believing that the earth was scientifically made (by accadient) has logic and facts to back it up. You, however, chose believing in the one thats based on words, stories and a long chain of beliefs of others.
Why? Born into it?

#70 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 22 2006, 01:35 AM) View Post
How does He tell you what to do? You just twisted some words around. I said you're telling Him what to do because you're saying how He should contact you. Then all of the sudden somehow He's telling you what to do. Don't twist things around like that wink.gif

He limits how i can be contacted by him, so he's telling me how to be contacted. tongue.gif

Just answer me one thing:

How can a person who has lived a selfless life, given to charity and all that stuff end up in the same place as rapists and murderers just because they choose not to believe in God?

Unless i'm mistaken, that's the way into heaven isn't it? By believing in God, and nothing else?

#71 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

Noone would be good their entire life etc etc unless they believed in Heaven...
There's no such thing as altruism.

#72 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(Joe @ Dec 22 2006, 01:46 AM) View Post
Noone would be good their entire life etc etc unless they believed in Heaven...
There's no such thing as altruism.

I disagree completely. If somebody is good because they want to get into heaven, then they are doing it for themselves and don't deserve to get into heaven.

Yes i've done things which would be considered as sins by the bible, but i wouldn't even think about hurting anybody purposely, not because i want to get into heaven but because it's the right thing to do...

#73 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 22 2006, 01:59 AM) View Post
Well, first off everyone sins. There is no perfect being except Jesus. So during one time in their life they sinned, and became a sinner (Everyone is born as a sinner either way) and they never asked for forgiveness because they didn't know Jesus. It's like talking to God through a closed door. When people are dieing they sometimes shout "Oh God oh God help me" and all they are doing is shouting through a wooden door. God tries and tries to get people to know Him and yet they continue to be ignorant and ignore the possiblity of His existence, they have no one to blame but themselves.

So to God, a non-believer is equal to a child rapist? Or a non-believer is less than equal to a child rapist who repents?

Doesn't sound like a God which i would want to believe in.

#74 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(AliasXNeo @ Dec 22 2006, 02:05 AM) View Post
When did I say a non-believer was less than a believer?

God tries and tries to get people to know Him and yet they continue to be ignorant and ignore the possiblity of His existence, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Your statement suggests that something bad will happen to non-believers and won't happen to believers. Therefore suggesting that non-believers will be punished and are therefore 'less good'. rolleyes.gif

#75 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

I think Laser means after death...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users