Quantcast

Photo

Do You Believe in God?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe in God?

Do you belive in God?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Alex @ Dec 25 2006, 11:01 PM) View Post
Why dont you tell your parents blink.gif

Because finding out your child is unsaved is about the same level of finding out if your child is gay by means of devout Christians. Deep sadness. Or sometimes its just the fact they'll cut funding or something.

#102 reefa

reefa
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

A plain and simple.No.

#103 eliasfong

eliasfong
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

yes i do

#104 o_O

o_O
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

No, I don't believe in God.
I do however attend youth groups, and a topic that was brought up yesterday was "How do we prove god exists?"
The scientific attack on the Christian view was that there can be no physical evidence of Christianity.
The Christian defense was that if we're able to prove he exists, then the religion would be useless.
It's a never ending debate.

#105 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

I believe in science and religion and that they should coexist and I've found that to be true in every sense smile.gif.

#106 Quadra

Quadra
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Mar 4 2007, 08:00 PM) View Post
I believe in science and religion and that they should coexist and I've found that to be true in every sense smile.gif .

I am quite curious as to your opinions on Science and religion Hydrogen. More specifically, if the two coexist do you believe that they must compliment each other in order to remain valid? Or do you believe there is room for contradiction?

#107 rcadble

rcadble
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(reefa @ Dec 26 2006, 07:17 PM) View Post
A plain and simple.No.

Too lazy to type it out...

#108 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

Sigh...
This is just an invitation to spam. W/e.

I believe and God.
You kids that say, "Oh, there's no proof of it, so He doesn't exist. There is though, proof of evolution."
Well, kudos to you. You're a genius.
You ever care to look at the philosophy of a religion?
It's a test. You work your ass off down here in order to be rewarded in the after-life. Now, if there was proof that God existed (besides the prophets and miracles in the past), and He spoke to us, and we saw Him. What would be that point? Why the fuck send everyone down here, just to worship him doubtlessly? It doesn't work like that. It's meant for us to doubt, but believe in nonetheless. There is no person that feels God has left them at one point or another in their lives, but He's there.

Also, I know someone's going to say, "Oh, what if somebody made up the prophets and miracles? What if they were just stories and shit?" Well fuck you. If you have no problem going around doubting history, but supporting the scientists that don't show you very much shit, but say they found all this crap, then be my guest. Go ahead and be a hypocritical ass, it's okay. smile.gif

#109 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(Sorasno @ Mar 4 2007, 05:05 PM) View Post
I am quite curious as to your opinions on Science and religion Hydrogen. More specifically, if the two coexist do you believe that they must compliment each other in order to remain valid? Or do you believe there is room for contradiction?
I believe that if God created Earth then the science that we can prove and test, that it should work exactly with what God has said. That's what I've found to be true in my religion anyway tongue.gif and its just what I believe.

#110 rcadble

rcadble
  • 651 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ Mar 4 2007, 05:22 PM) View Post
Sigh...
This is just an invitation to spam. W/e.

I believe and God.
You kids that say, "Oh, there's no proof of it, so He doesn't exist. There is though, proof of evolution."
Well, kudos to you. You're a genius.
You ever care to look at the philosophy of a religion?
It's a test. You work your ass off down here in order to be rewarded in the after-life. Now, if there was proof that God existed (besides the prophets and miracles in the past), and He spoke to us, and we saw Him. What would be that point? Why the fuck send everyone down here, just to worship him doubtlessly? It doesn't work like that. It's meant for us to doubt, but believe in nonetheless. There is no person that feels God has left them at one point or another in their lives, but He's there.

Also, I know someone's going to say, "Oh, what if somebody made up the prophets and miracles? What if they were just stories and shit?" Well fuck you. If you have no problem going around doubting history, but supporting the scientists that don't show you very much shit, but say they found all this crap, then be my guest. Go ahead and be a hypocritical ass, it's okay. smile.gif

It's not a test, it's a method to gain control and power; it's a method to control people. If it really wasn't then how'd religion come to exist in the first place? Even if all that jesus bullshit really did exist, it's not like people would care unless they wanted to gain control and power.

#111 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(rcadble @ Mar 4 2007, 06:26 PM) View Post
It's not a test, it's a method to gain control and power; it's a method to control people. If it really wasn't then how'd religion come to exist in the first place? Even if all that jesus bullshit really did exist, it's not like people would care unless they wanted to gain control and power.

Wtf?
You need some faith in the human race my friend.
Not everyone is a hypocritical shitface. Not everyone is out for themselves.
There are loads of truly good people. People that do things out of the kindness of their soul and not just because they're out to get shit.

Plus, in the religion of Islam, there is no hierarchy. There are just scholars that discuss the religion. There are no ranks of power. There are only ranks of knowledge. Nobody commands the other on what to do in this religion. They just teach it and the rest is up to you.

#112 Chris

Chris
  • 2235 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Mar 4 2007, 08:00 PM) View Post
I believe in science and religion and that they should coexist and I've found that to be true in every sense smile.gif.

Excellent Point. And I agree

#113 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(rcadble @ Mar 4 2007, 07:26 PM) View Post

People like you are the reason I don't post in debate topics arguing issues that are close to my heart...because people like you refer to others' beliefs as "bullshit." I'm not sure if you'd really consider Jesus' disciples having or wanting power...unless you mean the power to be persecuted and killed for their beliefs. I genuinely feel remorse for people who don't have faith...it makes the world and its troubles much easier to deal with knowing everything is happening for a reason. Jewish people have beliefs, albeit they're far different than mine...they didn't quit believing when they were being massacred...rest assured mate, of the billions of believers in the world, you'll find far less of them corrupt than their atheist counterparts.

I truly wish I could have the faith that I did when I was a child...life was simpler and more innocent back then. That is not to say I don't have faith anymore...I have a ton of it...it's just a different faith, a stronger faith.

#114 Chris

Chris
  • 2235 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

I agree with cript and arch, how about we don't call beliefs "bullshit" just becuase you don't believe in it doesnt mean it's not true. You might offend people that way

#115 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

Ignoring Cript's flame-begging post, let's continue.

Now, you said what you said in response assuming that miracles and prophets did exist.
Now, put yourself in the shoes of any person that came into contact with these prophets and miracles.
Now, if you saw a man split an ocean in two and walk across it or predict the flooding of an entire planet or witnessed an entire tribe dragged into the air by the wind and dropped back down headless, what would you think?
Would you say, "Oh, I'm going to institute these events in order to gain power and rule the world."
Or would you say, "Oh shit, I need to listen to these guys. I don't want this shit happening to me."
Simple question actually. The motives of people is plainly not going to power.

#116 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ Mar 4 2007, 08:23 PM) View Post
Ignoring Cript's flame-begging post, let's continue.

Excuse me?

Edited by Cript, 04 March 2007 - 06:29 PM.

#117 Quadra

Quadra
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(rcadble @ Mar 4 2007, 08:26 PM) View Post

In my most humble opinion religion came into existence out of an individual desire to put one’s trust in something reliable. It was nurtured by our shared collective sense of humanity. Religion in all its forms is a beautiful celebration of existence as well as a way for us to find a semblance of peace in what can be an otherwise chaotic reality.

QUOTE(Cript @ Mar 4 2007, 09:11 PM) View Post
People like you are the reason I don't post in debate topics arguing issues that are close to my heart...because people like you refer to others' beliefs as "bullshit." I'm not sure if you'd really consider Jesus' disciples having or wanting power...unless you mean the power to be persecuted and killed for their beliefs. I genuinely feel remorse for people who don't have faith...it makes the world and its troubles much easier to deal with knowing everything is happening for a reason. Jewish people have beliefs, albeit they're far different than mine...they didn't quit believing when they were being massacred...rest assured mate, of the billions of believers in the world, you'll find far less of them corrupt than their atheist counterparts.

I truly wish I could have the faith that I did when I was a child...life was simpler and more innocent back then. That is not to say I don't have faith anymore...I have a ton of it...it's just a different faith, a stronger faith.

I think that everyone, even atheists have faith. Belief in nothing is a faith, because in order to believe in nothing you must faith in existence

#118 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(Cript @ Mar 4 2007, 07:28 PM) View Post
Excuse me?

I'm sorry man. It's just that that post is pretty flammatory. You're attacking the people of atheism. Then he'd attack back. Then, it'd just be flame wars. dry.gif

#119 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(Cript @ Mar 4 2007, 08:28 PM) View Post
Excuse me?

Don't worry about it. Arch doesn't know what he is talking about. I completely agree with your post, you raised a perfectly good, debatable point. You didn't flame, and if anything Arch set up a flame bait by calling your post flaming.

To stay on topic- I believe in God.

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ Mar 4 2007, 08:32 PM) View Post
I'm sorry man. It's just that that post is pretty flammatory. You're attacking the people of atheism. Then he'd attack back. Then, it'd just be flame wars. dry.gif

It wasn't flaming at all. Do you even know what flaming is? Plus this is a debate section- your views will be attacked. Toughen up or you wont be able to take it in the real world. Just defend your views, don't bother bitching.

#120 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(Sorasno @ Mar 4 2007, 08:30 PM) View Post
I think that everyone, even atheists have faith. Belief in nothing is a faith, because in order to believe in nothing you must faith in existence

Atheism is the lack of belief...there is no faith involved with just taking everything at face value.

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ Mar 4 2007, 08:32 PM) View Post

I see what you're saying...I'm just illustrating that everyone can be corrupt, I'd bet most atheists would concede that on average, you're more likely to find a corrupt atheist than a Christian, especially per capita.

#121 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

I genuinely feel remorse for people who don't have faith...it makes the world and its troubles much easier to deal with knowing everything is happening for a reason.

Idk...
That doesn't seem very much like a debatable issue to me...

And I'm pretty sure atheism is a belief. There is no hard-ass evidence that shows that atheism is true, therefore, it's a belief in the "fact" that other beliefs are incorrect. wink.gif

#122 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ Mar 4 2007, 08:40 PM) View Post
And I'm pretty sure atheism is a belief. There is no hard-ass evidence that shows that atheism is true, therefore, it's a belief in the "fact" that other beliefs are incorrect. wink.gif

Say that to most atheists...they'll crack out Darwin for you...

#123 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

Lol, they might, but they have no definite proof they are right, so technically, they are religious. xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users