OS X86

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Xenos

Xenos
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

Hey Guys,
I recently installed Mac OS X Tiger on my Dell Optiplex, after about a day of downloading and two days of learning about OS X 86. I think it's extremely cool to be running Mac OS on a non-apple computer (but I think weird things are cool sometimes tongue.gif). I was curious if anyone else has this running and how well it works for them (I can't seem to get iTunes 7 to work, can you guys), and I also have some screenshots biggrin.gif

~Xenos

#2 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

I love the MAC operating system that my sister has on her iBook G4. I want to get it for a PC how did you do that?

#3 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

Google OSX86.

It's a hacked version of OSX Tiger (Not legal, mind you) that'll work on PC's that have very specific hardware (It won't run on AMD CPU's, nor any older Intel procs. Some video cards aren't supported, and I believe sound and wireless support was very hit-or-miss).

Even once you get it running, not all programs will work right, and you have to download updates from external sources (you can't get them from Apple, obviously).

Still, I'd like to get it running myself, sometime, just to say I can tongue.gif

#4 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(dolphinbomb @ Dec 20 2006, 07:57 PM) View Post
Google OSX86.

It's a hacked version of OSX Tiger (Not legal, mind you) that'll work on PC's that have very specific hardware (It won't run on AMD CPU's, nor any older Intel procs. Some video cards aren't supported, and I believe sound and wireless support was very hit-or-miss).

Even once you get it running, not all programs will work right, and you have to download updates from external sources (you can't get them from Apple, obviously).

Still, I'd like to get it running myself, sometime, just to say I can tongue.gif

ohmy.gif too much work and I have an AMD cpu so....I'll just get a mac when I have the money and space =P

#5 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

*Googles*

Very interested ohmy.gif Is there any way I can back up my Windows without using an external HD? Maybe using my iPod or something?

#6 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

Eh, I just looked into it... looks like they've gotten much better support for more hardware since the last time I checked.. Some AMD CPU's are supported, as well, too. (I found out my laptop is works with OSX86 biggrin.gif)

#7 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(dolphinbomb @ Dec 20 2006, 10:31 PM) View Post
I found out my laptop is works with OSX86 biggrin.gif)

Same, but my problem is going to be actually switching. The download itself is going to be a pain in the ass and my UT 2004 won't work sad.gif I want to but I doubt I'll make the switch.

#8 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(RaNdOmNeSs @ Dec 20 2006, 10:36 PM) View Post
Same, but my problem is going to be actually switching. The download itself is going to be a pain in the ass and my UT 2004 won't work sad.gif I want to but I doubt I'll make the switch.

Eh, I'll just make a 10GB partition and dual boot tongue.gif It's not like I'd use OSX for gaming anyways 1we8.gif

#9 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(dolphinbomb @ Dec 20 2006, 10:39 PM) View Post
Eh, I'll just make a 10GB partition and dual boot tongue.gif It's not like I'd use OSX for gaming anyways 1we8.gif

How much will that slow down the computer? Would I be able to shut down 1 boot and leave the other running? I have a 3.6GHz processor but I still don't want the speed glomped. I would use Windows for gaming and mac for everything else tongue.gif

#10 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

Yes, that's what dual booting is. It allows you to have 2 different OS's, one on each partition. You either boot one or the other, not both. There would be no performance hit whatsoever.

#11 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(dolphinbomb @ Dec 20 2006, 10:46 PM) View Post
Yes, that's what dual booting is. It allows you to have 2 different OS's, one on each partition. You either boot one or the other, not both. There would be no performance hit whatsoever.

Wow blink.gif I'm going to start looking into this. Thanks alot smile.gif

#12 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(RaNdOmNeSs @ Dec 20 2006, 10:47 PM) View Post
Wow blink.gif I'm going to start looking into this. Thanks alot smile.gif

Just remember, none of this is technically legal whistling.gif So if you do anything to your comp, it's no one's fault but your own tongue.gif

#13 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(dolphinbomb @ Dec 20 2006, 10:50 PM) View Post
Just remember, none of this is technically legal whistling.gif So if you do anything to your comp, it's no one's fault but your own tongue.gif

Haha, yes, I know. But my cousin owns a computer store and he has a few copies of Tiger and things for the display computers so technically its legal tongue.gif

#14 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(RaNdOmNeSs @ Dec 20 2006, 10:52 PM) View Post
Haha, yes, I know. But my cousin owns a computer store and he has a few copies of Tiger and things for the display computers so technically its legal tongue.gif

No, it's not tongue.gif You have to get a hacked version, or it won't work rolleyes.gif A copy of Tiger right out of the box won't work.

#15 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(dolphinbomb @ Dec 20 2006, 10:56 PM) View Post
No, it's not tongue.gif You have to get a hacked version, or it won't work rolleyes.gif A copy of Tiger right out of the box won't work.

Aw crap tongue.gif Then its illegal. Wouldn't be the first time wouldn't be the last tongue.gif

The download is gonna be very gay though sad.gif Especially since I know my torrenting is terrible from the WoW patch downloads. wink.gif

#16 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(RaNdOmNeSs @ Dec 20 2006, 11:01 PM) View Post
Aw crap tongue.gif Then its illegal. Wouldn't be the first time wouldn't be the last tongue.gif

The download is gonna be very gay though sad.gif Especially since I know my torrenting is terrible from the WoW patch downloads. wink.gif

The torrent isn't that bad.. it's got some decent seeders (I've got a steady speed of ~170kb/sec right now).
The only reason you'd be getting crap speeds is if you have a router that's set up incorrectly (as in, not forwarding a port right), and judging by the material your comparing it to (A WoW patch, which I would assume has thousands of seeders), that seems like the most likely case. I'd take a look here; http://portforward.com/ for guides on port forwarding for just about any combo of routers/apps.

#17 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(dolphinbomb @ Dec 20 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post
The torrent isn't that bad.. it's got some decent seeders (I've got a steady speed of ~170kb/sec right now).
The only reason you'd be getting crap speeds is if you have a router that's set up incorrectly (as in, not forwarding a port right), and judging by the material your comparing it to (A WoW patch, which I would assume has thousands of seeders), that seems like the most likely case. I'd take a look here; http://portforward.com/ for guides on port forwarding for just about any combo of routers/apps.

Been there, attempted following guides, doesn't work with almost anything I try xD I'll give it another shot now.

What are you using, Azureus I assume?

#18 Soliloquy

Soliloquy
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

Since it's somewhat not legal, I prefer to use normal OS X. If anyone wants any screenshots of my iMac, pm me. biggrin.gif

Also, why only 10.4.6? Shouldn't 10.4.8 work fine, or is there a problem with it and OSX86?

Edited by IntellEJent, 20 December 2006 - 08:59 PM.

#19 shabba

shabba

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:05 AM

You can get OSX to work on AMD's its just abit more work and alot of fuss to do it. Azureus is a brilliant client, I use that on my desktop and BitTornado on my server tongue.gif

#20 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

I use uTorrent, myself. smile.gif
98% done... damn, it's been downloading almost 14 hours dry.gif

#21 philywilly

philywilly
  • 1656 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

I used to be really interested in this.. but never finished the download and for some reason I can't partition my drive, so I pretty much gave up.

#22 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

My download is going to be done in 1 hour biggrin.gif I can't wait, though the burn is probably going to take forever =\ If I get it up and running tonight I'll be very happy.

#23 philywilly

philywilly
  • 1656 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(RaNdOmNeSs @ Dec 21 2006, 05:53 PM) View Post
My download is going to be done in 1 hour biggrin.gif I can't wait, though the burn is probably going to take forever =\ If I get it up and running tonight I'll be very happy.

Let me know how it goes.. I assume you'll be dual booting with xp? By the way, if so.. how did you create your partition?

#24 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(philywilly @ Dec 21 2006, 06:05 PM) View Post
Let me know how it goes.. I assume you'll be dual booting with xp? By the way, if so.. how did you create your partition?

Will do. And yes I am Dual Booting. I haven't created the partition yet but I will be using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.

If you are going to try it I have a whole bookmark folder full of the info I used and all you'll need to get it up and running smile.gif

#25 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:14 PM

biggrin.gif I got it working!

I had to use OSX86 10.4.5, and install through VMWare (The OSX86 project site has more info on that). I have everything working well, except for wireless and sound.. though I'm working on those tongue.gif

(BTW: I used GParted (bootable Linux partition manager) to make a partition. Worked beautifully)

Edited by dolphinbomb, 21 December 2006 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users