Quantcast

Photo

Easy way to understand the physics behind time.

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#26 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Pomroy / Trixx @ Apr 30 2007, 05:44 PM) View Post
Time, I consider the thing around the world. It goes from point A to point B at the same speed, for everyone.It's just there. I just think you can speed yourself up, which would make everyone else s

It's called realtivity. Time only passes relative to the observer. Honestly, though microscopic and virtually immesurable, time moves slower to someone moving 100,000km/h in space than it does for a (relativly) stationary object. I say relatively stationary because honestly, the universe is so massive you can only mesure how stationary you are relative to the objects around you.

#27 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Apr 30 2007, 10:39 PM) View Post
It's called realtivity. Time only passes relative to the observer. Honestly, though microscopic and virtually immesurable, time moves slower to someone moving 100,000km/h in space than it does for a (relativly) stationary object. I say relatively stationary because honestly, the universe is so massive you can only mesure how stationary you are relative to the objects around you.

Gotta love Einsteins theories, been confusing the hell out of us for decades.

#28 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Bryan @ Apr 30 2007, 11:01 PM) View Post
Gotta love Einsteins theories, been confusing the hell out of us for decades.

It's really not THAT complicated, I understood the basic principles at age 10....

#29 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:07 PM

I'm talking about more than his mere theory of relativity. To be honest, relativity seems to be something that can't be defined, and theories on it are nothing more than a farse. But I'm too tired to use my brain right now, I'll come up with an intelligent rebuttal in the near future.

#30 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Apr 30 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post

Hell if you are on a mountain you age faster because of less gravitational impact.

#31 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

Theories are just that, theories. I am willing to admit that any theory CAN be wrong, hell a few LAWS have been proven incorrect, As far as I am concerned, this entire topic is just people defending their own interpretations of a said religion (since believing in a theory is the same as religion, it's all step of faith).

#32 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Gravity has no effect on time though. Sure, your exterior will age slowly, because of what you said, but internally, what I suppose is "relative" to you, will remain the same, regardless of position.

#33 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(Bryan @ Apr 30 2007, 09:13 PM) View Post
Gravity has no effect on time though. Sure, your exterior will age slowly, because of what you said, but internally, what I suppose is "relative" to you, will remain the same, regardless of position.

not true bryan.
Before I own you to badly edit that post.

#34 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE(Bryan @ Apr 30 2007, 11:13 PM) View Post

pl0x. Gravity BENDS space-time. And I am not quite sure what the rest of your post is saying, it seems that you are speaking of internal organs versus skin. I hope I am very wrong. xD

#35 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

THERE IS NO PHYSICS BEHIND A HUMAN PERCEPTION

#36 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(Euphoria @ Apr 30 2007, 09:59 PM) View Post
THERE IS NO PHYSICS BEHIND A HUMAN PERCEPTION

not true....
if the grand unified thoery is possible, then theoretically you could predict human behavior.

#37 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

With a grand unified theory of everything, you can predict anything. Like, ANYTHING. You could figure out which flower a bee is going to fly to because everything is physics. tongue.gif

Freewill is barely an illusion to some, and a total misconception to the rest of us.

#38 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Apr 30 2007, 10:20 PM) View Post
With a grand unified theory of everything, you can predict anything. Like, ANYTHING. You could figure out which flower a bee is going to fly to because everything is physics. tongue.gif

Freewill is barely an illusion to some, and a total misconception to the rest of us.

good way of putting it cata....

#39 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:28 AM

Cata.
When Time stops, you can't have a speed/velocity.
It's over at the speed of light, because there is distance traveled per unit time. You'd be moving, but without taking up time. Infinite velocity. So you would ALREADY be going faster than the speed of light, but you wouldn't go back in time, because when time stops, velocities don't exist. tongue.gif
Thats why I said time doesn't go backwards. tongue.gif

#40 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

Gravity does nothing more than act as a force, I don't see how such a force can "bend" time. By the way, Cata, I was speaking Mentally, meaning gravity does not affect the mind. It will not age it.

#41 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ May 1 2007, 02:28 PM) View Post
Cata.
It's over at the speed of light, because there is distance traveled per unit time. You'd be moving, but without taking up time. Infinite velocity. So you would ALREADY be going faster than the speed of light, but you wouldn't go back in time, because when time stops, velocities don't exist. tongue.gif

Time doesn't actually stop for the observer. Obviously.
Relative to him, everything -else's- time has stopped.

#42 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ May 1 2007, 01:09 AM) View Post

I can't explain MY definition of time, but it has nothing to do with the observer... it's like.. Universe time.

#43 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

Why are you all presuming time is linear?

#44 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ May 1 2007, 05:28 AM) View Post
Cata.

to-shey
I see what you mean.
But when a unit of time (the quanta you tried so hard to disprove)
But you would only need Infinite velocity if you were being bound by the laws of relativity. But if you accelerate past the speed of light then you have broken those laws anyway, so who knows what would happen.....
But lets say you start at the speed of light....
The water gets murky.
The law never states that something cannot go faster than light, it just says that it cant accelerate past its speed..... makes sense?

QUOTE(Euphoria @ May 1 2007, 02:07 PM) View Post
Why are you all presuming time is linear?

If you were alive pre-relativity then your argument would make sense.
but one of Einstines postulates is the theory of space/time.....

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ May 1 2007, 06:28 AM) View Post

well if he is actually past the speed of light.
As you approach "c" then you start to age slower because you gain mass with speed.
E=mc2
energy equals mass times the speed of light squared.
with more velocity, the more energy needed and the more energy needed the more the mass.
So with more mass, comes more gravity and gravity slows space down.
That is only one theory of why time goes by slower for someone approaching the speed of light.

#45 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE(Sonic @ May 2 2007, 12:21 AM) View Post
theory

Theory.
Theory.
Theory.

#46 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ May 1 2007, 06:28 AM) View Post

Everything else's time.
Exactly.
To the speeder, everything else looks like it isn't moving at all.
It actually isn't moving, because he broke the time barrier.
The speeder would be spread out across the universe as one giant mass in the eyes of everything else, because time stopped. He moved everywhere in no time.
His speed is infinite, relative to everything else.
In his eyes, he's still going some crappy speed. :X

And for the gravity bending time...
Have you ever seen those Science channel specials, where they talk about the blanket of space?
You know with planets sitting on that blanket making it bend in those areas.
Well that blanket isn't just space, it's time as well. smile.gif
Just so you know, the reason mass can do that is because it is one of the most concentrated forms of energy in the universe. smile.gif

#47 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ May 3 2007, 05:34 AM) View Post
Just so you know, the reason mass can do that is because it is one of the most concentrated forms of energy in the universe. smile.gif

Yay.
We agreed on something.

QUOTE(Euphoria @ May 3 2007, 04:02 AM) View Post
Theory.
Theory.
Theory.

Well I think Feynman Puts it best. "Every scientific fact/theory/law is just that. All Those can be broken. Everything is always a theory. Observation can strengthen that theory to the point were it is undeniable, but it only takes one observation to prove it wrong."
It would sound as if I am contradicting myself........
But am I really?

Everything is a theory. Lets not believe in Evolution, or the fact that atoms exist just because they are theories? Is that what you are saying? One of the most proven scientific theories is Quantum Mechanics. Most people just ignore that fact because it is the most contradicting to common sense.

#48 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

No, I'm saying you should stop thinking you're some sort of god simply because you know what some other delusional scientist thinks and believes to the letter.

IT IS NOT ENERGY, IT DOES NOT ABIDE BY ANY FORCE MANKIND CAN EVEN BARELY COMPREHEND. WHY? IT'S A FIGMENT OF OUR OWN IMAGINATION - A THOUGHT PROCESS DEVELOPED BY THE BRAIN TO KEEP OUR MINDS FROM WANDERING TOO FAR INTO AN INFINITE LOOP. TIME IS SIMPLY A HUMAN PERCEPTION, NOTHING MORE.

Speculation behold.

Edited by Euphoria, 14 May 2007 - 01:54 PM.

#49 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(Euphoria @ May 8 2007, 01:55 AM) View Post
TIME IS SIMPLY A HUMAN PERCEPTION, NOTHING MORE.

I think Euph hit the nail pretty hard on the head there.

#50 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

The problem is that the math/science behind this is way to complicated for any human today. For all we know, we may be missing pieces to the puzzle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users