Quantcast

Photo

Easy way to understand the physics behind time.

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

Or hell, we might be trying to put a puzzle together, when it is really a Rubik's Cube in our hands. xD

What if the universe was a giant cookie? I is hungry....

#52 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Shadowcode @ May 8 2007, 11:20 AM) View Post
The problem is that the math/science behind this is way to complicated for any human today. For all we know, we may be missing pieces to the puzzle.

Really?
you guys just don't get the concepts because you don't understand the physics why time is not just a human perception.

QUOTE(Euphoria @ May 7 2007, 09:55 PM) View Post
No, I'm saying you should stop thinking you're some sort of god simply because you know what some other delusional scientist thinks and believes to the letter.

IT IS NOT ENERGY, IT DOES NOT ABIDE BY ANY FORCE MANKIND CAN EVEN BARELY COMPREHEND. WHY? IT'S A FIGMENT OF OUR OWN IMAGINATION - A THOUGHT PROCESS DEVELOPED BY THE BRAIN TO KEEP OUR MINDS FROM WANDERING TOO FAR INTO AN INFINITE LOOP. TIME IS SIMPLY A HUMAN PERCEPTION, NOTHING MORE.

Sorry, Einstein, Schroedinger, Feynman, Hawking, Planck, Zeeman, and Steinberger are all wrong and are "delusional" , and Euphoria being the supream genius we all know he is, has an opinion that has more merit than all of the Nobel Prize winning physicists....

Wow, I never knew someone could be so ignorant.....and confident about their ignorance.
Lol, I am emailing your post to my Professor and my great uncle.
They will get a laugh out of it...

QUOTE(Cataliste @ May 8 2007, 11:26 AM) View Post
Or hell, we might be trying to put a puzzle together, when it is really a Rubik's Cube in our hands. xD
What if the universe was a giant cookie? I is hungry....

I bet you would like that wouldn't you. Prove all those guys wrong.
Cata, your on crack I swear...

#53 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Uhhh, no.....I meant to say is that there is other higher math that isn't solvable yet or conceivable yet. All the math/science theories out now explain what is observed. There be more behind "time" than what we know today.....

PS, humans wont know certain aspects of this subject, but not because the theories are too hard, but rather too complex to understand.

#54 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Shadowcode @ May 8 2007, 03:46 PM) View Post
Uhhh, no.....I meant to say is that there is other higher math that isn't solvable yet or conceivable yet. All the math/science theories out now explain what is observed. There be more behind "time" than what we know today.....

PS, humans wont know certain aspects of this subject, but not because the theories are too hard, but rather too complex to understand.

Its not the complexity, its the defiance of common sense. Normal laymen understand Newtonian laws because we experience the effects of motion and gravity on a regular scale every day. When you start bringing laws in from the quantum levels then common sense does not apply, because we have to everyday examples....But there are people out there who can...

and yes, there is math so tedious that it cant be done, like when the grand unified theory of everything is finally discovered then every event will be predictable. Bye bye free will. Even human actions can be predicted, but there are so many factors that it will be impossible to predict. We will only be able to predict on really large or small scales.

#55 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

What I was saying is that today we know so much, tomorrow, we know so much more.

75 years ago, we were struggling on things that we can full explain now.

What we know now is good, but there could be information we don't know, that is stopping us fro making these unified theories.

#56 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(Shadowcode @ May 8 2007, 04:08 PM) View Post
What I was saying is that today we know so much, tomorrow, we know so much more.

75 years ago, we were struggling on things that we can full explain now.

What we know now is good, but there could be information we don't know, that is stopping us fro making these unified theories.

I hate to contradict everything you are saying, but in part you are wrong, Quantum mechanics was almost completely understood 75 years ago.....

I am still laughing my ass of at euph..... me and cata were having a blast with his "figment of our imagination"

#57 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:45 PM

In a way, your brain doesn't recognize a difference between physical objects and if you think hard enough about hat same thing. You generate the exact same brainwaves. We can infer that it is real, because we see it, we can acknowledge its there.

But, I used 75 years for example, its the first number that popped into my head. I was just saying science evolves, theories ( not theories as in scientific theories) about things change.

#58 ArchAngel.

ArchAngel.
  • 991 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE(Euphoria @ May 7 2007, 09:55 PM) View Post
No, I'm saying you should stop thinking you're some sort of god simply because you know what some other delusional scientist thinks and believes to the letter.

IT IS NOT ENERGY, IT DOES NOT ABIDE BY ANY FORCE MANKIND CAN EVEN BARELY COMPREHEND. WHY? IT'S A FIGMENT OF OUR OWN IMAGINATION - A THOUGHT PROCESS DEVELOPED BY THE BRAIN TO KEEP OUR MINDS FROM WANDERING TOO FAR INTO AN INFINITE LOOP. TIME IS SIMPLY A HUMAN PERCEPTION, NOTHING MORE.

Time isn't merely a thought process.
The reason is the relativity of it.
Everyone on Earth follows the same time frame.
Simple, right?
Why is it that everyone's time frame stays the same, but the man on the moon experiences time to move a little bit faster?
Atomic clocks...
The most accurate time measurement devices in the world...
3 of them were set to the exact same time...
2 of them were sent on plane flights around the world in opposite directions.
They came back to the third, and they had more time elapsed than the third...
If time is relative, then it is a manipulatable dimension in the world we live in.
It has to abide by forces, gravitational force and the force that causes acceleration.
Saying time is a human perception is like saying a meter is a human perception.
Tis a ridiculous thing to say.

#59 Rush

Rush
  • 1812 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

Time is a frickin' magazine. tongue.gif Just here to lighten things up, codex style. happy.gif
Errr, proof: http://www.time.com/time/

And the easiest way to understand the physics behind time is through wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time
^It mentioned alot of things you people have said. I'm not saying this is accurate, but gives definition. Have a good day. happy.gif

#60 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(ArchAngel. @ May 9 2007, 01:35 PM) View Post
Time isn't merely a thought process.
The reason is the relativity of it.
Everyone on Earth follows the same time frame.
Simple, right?
Why is it that everyone's time frame stays the same, but the man on the moon experiences time to move a little bit faster?
Atomic clocks...
The most accurate time measurement devices in the world...
3 of them were set to the exact same time...
2 of them were sent on plane flights around the world in opposite directions.
They came back to the third, and they had more time elapsed than the third...
If time is relative, then it is a manipulatable dimension in the world we live in.
It has to abide by forces, gravitational force and the force that causes acceleration.
Saying time is a human perception is like saying a meter is a human perception.
Tis a ridiculous thing to say.

Why is it humans are the only lifeform on earth that relatively care about the passage of time?

#61 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Euphoria @ May 10 2007, 08:30 AM) View Post
Why is it humans are the only lifeform on earth that relatively care about the passage of time?

Perhaps we are the only species on this planet who are intelligent enough to see that time exists. I bet In 100 - 500 years when humans are smarter we will see things that we didn't see today.

Why do I think other species don't know about time ? Easy. Think of air. Unless its windy we know its there but we don't feel it. If you were to show a dog a ball of air they wouldn't know what the hell we are trying to show them. Another example, You know that mosquito ringtone that alot of people have on their phones ? Well as you get older you can't hear it. Although younger people can. My point is just because you can't see, hear, smell or touch something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Every other species on the planet however aren't intelligent enough to realize it wink.gif

#62 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

We are always discovering new things. Time is a tough cookie though...

I believe its an opinion if you do or not.

Its like debating whether God exists or not, it cant be proven...yet.........heheheh.

Edited by Shadowcode, 09 May 2007 - 02:53 PM.

#63 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

What defines how old something is then ? When people die of old age what defines how old they are, what gives their skin the age to wrinkle ? If we made time in our heads I think we are in extremely intelligent.

#64 414de7fe6

414de7fe6
  • 2559 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

Then by your words Raui, time is a human perception because we're intelligent enough to actively track the path to our own demise. That's all it is.

There's no physics behind this shit.

#65 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:33 AM

How the hell can time be a human perception if it is relatively constant (at relative speeds)?

#66 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Humans aren't the only organism to care about time.
That's just plain ass wrong.

Bamboo plants across the entire world flower at the exact same time every flowering period (different depending on species)
And that's a freaking plant. Don't make judgements that you have absolutely no basis for.

#67 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ May 10 2007, 11:43 AM) View Post

Bamboo plants across the entire world flower at the exact same time every flowering period (different depending on species)
And that's a freaking plant. Don't make judgements that you have absolutely no basis for.

I think Euphoria thinks that the less he can support something, the stronger it makes his statement. In reality, it only makes the aroma of male cow fecal matter more pungent.

#68 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ May 10 2007, 08:43 AM) View Post

....Plants dont keep track of time.... If you were to take a plant to another world ( hypothetically ), and recreate its living conditions, but set the seasonal cycle 2 season behind what it is here. The watch what happens.

#69 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(Shadowcode @ May 10 2007, 08:07 PM) View Post
....Plants dont keep track of time.... If you were to take a plant to another world ( hypothetically ), and recreate its living conditions, but set the seasonal cycle 2 season behind what it is here. The watch what happens.

Of course they keep track of time blink.gif
How do they flower simultaneously every, in the case of bamboo, every fifty or so years across the -entire- planet, if they don't?

#70 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

Well, they dont keep track of time as in the way we do. ( Thats what i meant )

#71 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(Shadowcode @ May 11 2007, 01:19 AM) View Post
Well, they dont keep track of time as in the way we do. ( Thats what i meant )

So... if two different organisms keep track of time in two different ways, then there must be some sort of external influence that they both respond to... correct?
Correct. Thus vindicating my very point.

In future, you should probably make sure that your posts in the debate section have an actual point.

#72 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:10 AM

Dude, on, this is like proving god is real.

God is real to Islamic people and to Christian.....so if they both believe in God, then surely they have the same religion...

Plants live on a biological clock. ( Things naturally happening )

Edited by Shadowcode, 11 May 2007 - 11:11 AM.

#73 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

Damn, I leave for 2 days and I miss some good action damnit.
anyway, Euph was owned and he knows it.

By they way it is not only concious things that have a concept of time, all quantum systems have "concept" of time. Think about the speed limits it has, speed is measured by distance covered in a certain TIME.............

If that made any sense.....
By the way, read the bottom of my sig/

#74 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

Now Sonic, that is mean....hahahahah, but funny.

Well, time *could* be something we imagine or it could really be real, but until we research further, EVERYTHING we say about time is completely a guess. (Unless you somehow figure out the truth, lol.)

#75 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Shadowcode @ May 12 2007, 05:48 PM) View Post
Now Sonic, that is mean....hahahahah, but funny.

Well, time *could* be something we imagine or it could really be real, but until we research further, EVERYTHING we say about time is completely a guess. (Unless you somehow figure out the truth, lol.)

hey hey hey, even though in the future I hope to complete my PH.D in physics, I am in no way giving myself credit for doing my own research. I simply stated things I have read, and have learned through my many years of curiosity with physics.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users