Quantcast

Photo

Anyone out there practise parkour/freerunning?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#51 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(angmor @ Jun 21 2007, 08:16 PM) View Post
im just curious....where did parkour originate from and how long ago?

Traceurs such as DB, Seb, as well as the Yamakasi have been practicing for well over twenty years. The second generation started around '99-'00.
This is from my site:

History
During a young age, David Belle was introduced to obstacle course training and Georges Hebert's "Natural Method of Physical Culture" through his dad, Raymond Belle, a French soldier who used these methods for quick ways of getting out of situations for any chance of survival during the Vietnam War. He soon began to participate in martial arts and gymnastics to further his athletic prowess. After moving to Lisses, Belle continued to grow as he found friends, who in turn, helped Belle begin his journey. They created a group called the Yamakasi for strong spirit, strong body, strong man. Over the years, their skills improved tremendously and the discipline started to grow; but tension grew as the production of a film starring Yamakasi began early in 2001. Selling the discipline was against David's philosophy, so he split from the Yamakasi.

Edited by Bão, 21 June 2007 - 04:34 PM.

#52 fruglemonkey

fruglemonkey
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:50 AM

Bao, I thought you had vid's on your site?

...And how many members are in your group?

#53 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE(RaNdOmNeSs @ Jun 21 2007, 06:01 PM) View Post
We want it!

Here's the link. The footage that was used in this film dates back to '06 October to late 'December, which is when we started to jam on a regular basis. Basically, my friend and fellow traceur, Jeremy, was going to throw out all this footage as we were starting a project called Revolution; so I decided to take all the footage and compile it into "Power." Since December, we were on and off with parkour because most of us were busy with track and work; with a full summer ahead, I started M-F sessions to train, condition, and drill with a jam on Saturday.

QUOTE(fruglemonkey @ Jun 22 2007, 03:50 AM) View Post
Bao, I thought you had vid's on your site?

...And how many members are in your group?

Nah, nobody nor have I posted videos. I use to lead a team, but I decided to move away from that because I believe teams directly and sometimes indirectly support competition. I keep in touch with about 40+ people from around the state. As a matter of fact, we're having a statewide jam this Saturday. Are you on a team or do you practice with a group of different people? smile.gif

#54 Apilot

Apilot
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

yeah i do it up here in when i visit the mountains, it is a good way to built muscle and coordination, it also keeps you sharp minded and reflexes lightning

#55 fruglemonkey

fruglemonkey
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:57 AM

Yeah, me and a few friends practise together.

I also drill with alot of other people on wednesday at the olympic gym 30mins from me.

#56 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(fruglemonkey @ Jun 23 2007, 04:57 AM) View Post
Yeah, me and a few friends practise together.

I also drill with alot of other people on wednesday at the olympic gym 30mins from me.

If only I had an Olympic gym.. What do you practice more at the gym, parkour or freerunning?

#57 fruglemonkey

fruglemonkey
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:07 AM

I mainly muck around... XD

E.g stack up some stuff, put a hoop at the top, and attempt to climb up the structure without toppling it, and go through the hoop. After passing the hoop, I fall into a pit of foam. =D

Oh, and i also practise things in which i might get hurt if done anywhere else, eg somersaults, wall running/flipping.

Edited by fruglemonkey, 27 June 2007 - 03:12 AM.

#58 arthritis

arthritis
  • 999 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

sounds very cool.

but most probably i'll be hitting a car here and there :X

-alarm goes off in the distance-

#59 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:46 AM

Recently, I had a friend, from my forums, who asked a serious question that I believe all traceurs, as well as freerunners, answer. No person can answer this question but you. It is the ultimate question that must be asked from within. It defines why you do what you do. Here it goes...

What does parkour mean to you?

From the time I've learned and started parkour to the moment I am posting this message, the definition of parkour for myself has changed immensely. This is the first time I dealt with this question and it took me time to figure everything out. I've heard a few answers and some people are still figuring out why they do it, so take your time and post whenever.

Timeline:
Late ‘05 October
In the beginning, there was three of us - Johnny, Eric, and I. I had learned about parkour and freerunning only recently. I knew that anyone who sets their minds to it could do it. Once or twice a month, we would get together to jam at local schools and playgrounds. Parkour meant fun for me, it was also a way of getting out of the house.

'06 Spring
Outdoor track started and I had to run my second season again. Parkour was still in my mind, but not my main focus at the time.

‘06 Summer
As my summer started, I had gotten into making myself a better runner; therefore, I started running during the summer for Cross Country. I soon made friends with Sadyr, a freerunner from my school. As the season started, I had gotten Alex to come out to the first state jam I’ve ever been to. That’s when parkour became something bigger for me. Later on, I would get Marcus and Jeremy to start parkour as well. I had friends in parkour and this is what kept me going. This was about the time I started NCPK, a crew of traceurs and freerunners around my local area. I wanted to prove to others, what I could achieve.

‘06 Winter
How I dreaded for better weather! Running in circles for indoor track soon became boring and parkour was digging into my thoughts everyday. I soon created NCParkour for several purposes; for uniting traceurs and freerunners from around the state and to learn what I can do as a traceur to help the community, especially in America.

‘07 Spring
Way before NCPKJ (North Carolina Parkour Jam), I started to become more active in the community, especially on NCParkour. I met Duncan and he helped me become some of what I am today. I quickly realized that parkour comes with training, I would state this as a beginning. Parkour had evolved. I wanted to get better and bring my friends along as well. It wasn’t all about fun anymore, it was about my physical and mental well being. I saw very little improvement with the Saturday jams. Being united with others is what parkour meant to me.

‘07 Summer
Around the world, controversy started as people began competitions. I saw having a crew only benefits competitions and not the individual, so I took the title, "crew," apart.

I started becoming bored of running as I improved in parkour. I saw Jeremy become better everyday and he has taught me so much, right from the beginning. Now with training almost five days a week, I have learned about myself and parkour more than ever. Today, parkour means much more than a few sentences. It is something that cannot be defined in words. I can try, but it won’t be much…

Basically, parkour is life. It is the journey taken to achieve goals. To redefine your every movement and critique them to become only more efficient, to move faster, and to stay safe once again. It is imagination. To master all obstacles for them to become obstacles again. A kong is no longer a kong as well as a precision is no longer a precision. It is family. It is learning from others only what you have taught them and more. It is hard training. Hard training that will never be enough. This was merely a few words of the thousands it means to me. I ask again, what does parkour mean to you?

#60 elryo

elryo
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:06 AM

i'd like to really get into this but id b afraid of stacking it heaps bad.

how do u start off??

#61 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(elryo @ Jul 2 2007, 11:06 AM) View Post
i'd like to really get into this but id b afraid of stacking it heaps bad.

how do u start off??

Small! I began with learning vaults, kongs, and precisions. I really suggest avoiding drops, as drops has nothing to do with parkour. Don't forget to condition, that's one way to get in shape.

#62 fruglemonkey

fruglemonkey
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(Bão @ Jul 3 2007, 01:10 AM) View Post
Small! I began with learning vaults, kongs, and precisions. I really suggest avoiding drops, as drops has nothing to do with parkour. Don't forget to condition, that's one way to get in shape.

Psst: I don't think he knows much jargon.

#63 nivel

nivel
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

i love parkour, its huge here in virginia
so fun, i'm becoming pro smile1.gif

#64 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

Im digging the video Bao, im gonna favorite it tongue.gif

#65 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

dude Bao are you russian blink.gif? Playing russian music lol

cool vid

Edited by Alex, 03 July 2007 - 01:26 PM.

#66 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

I've been thinking about Parkour a lot. My friends and I indirectly practice it, but never really acknowledge it as Parkour/Freerunning. We jump from one thing to the next, jump over objects, swing around poles, find ways up buildings, and find another way down.

We never really plan to do any of this, but it's really just something that winds up happening. One of us will be like, "Let's try to......." and we just do it.

I really want to start 'jamming' more. I was watching videos not to long ago on it too. My friend and I used to practice flips into a bunch of pillows, and at one point we actually could do them on the ground. This was before we knew about parkour though. Even a loong time ago, another friend and I used to what you guys do, but called it 'street feet'. Crazy.

#67 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Alex @ Jul 3 2007, 04:24 PM) View Post
dude Bao are you russian blink.gif? Playing russian music lol

cool vid

Thanks. I'm not Russian, I'm Vietnamese, but the song is about parkour.
QUOTE(Sean @ Jul 3 2007, 04:31 PM) View Post
I really want to start 'jamming' more. I was watching videos not to long ago on it too. My friend and I used to practice flips into a bunch of pillows, and at one point we actually could do them on the ground. This was before we knew about parkour though. Even a loong time ago, another friend and I used to what you guys do, but called it 'street feet'. Crazy.

I'd really suggest visiting PKCali, they're are a lot of traceurs and freerunners in your area. Also, I believe it's one of the admins at PKCali that's helping Kaos start US PAWA.

#68 alonmaster000

alonmaster000
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

I`ve been Doing for some time now .......a few months.....happy.gif

#69 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE(nivel @ Jul 3 2007, 03:00 PM) View Post
i love parkour, its huge here in virginia
so fun, i'm becoming pro smile1.gif

Word!?! Where in Virginia are you? I'll have to head up there when I get a chance man; maybe you can come down here in October, I'm organizing a state jam.

QUOTE(alonmaster000 @ Jul 15 2007, 06:50 PM) View Post
I`ve been Doing for some time now .......a few months.....happy.gif

Really? What do you practice though? By the way, where are you located?

I was wondering, anyone going to Lisses anytime soon?

#70 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Bão @ Jul 4 2007, 05:09 PM) View Post
Thanks. I'm not Russian, I'm Vietnamese, but the song is about parkour.

I'd really suggest visiting PKCali, they're are a lot of traceurs and freerunners in your area. Also, I believe it's one of the admins at PKCali that's helping Kaos start US PAWA.

Thanks, I checked it out, and I might attend a session not to far from my area biggrin.gif

#71 arthritis

arthritis
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

i'm anti-breaking bones.

#72 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

Flicks! Anybody have some?

Here's a set of mine from Flickr. The last nine are the most recent (Taken this week) and the first three are from last year. Link

#73 arthritis

arthritis
  • 999 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

that.s just totally. wicked.

#74 Bão

Bão
  • 5407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(arthritis @ Jul 21 2007, 10:05 PM) View Post
that.s just totally. wicked.

Thanks, I'm still working on getting some more. Currently, I only train with one guy, and he's been showing me some new stuff with planches and handstands. smile.gif

Just an update on the greater traceurs and freerunners.

OMG!! I wish I could go. drool.gif I mean, just to shake hands with Laurent, Yann, or Daniel would be amazing. By the way, my friend, Pete, from Manchester, has trained with Daniel.

European Gathering of Streetmovement
// Gerlev Sports Academy (Denmark) 19th – 25th of august.

// WATCH THE TRAILER HERE!!!

Parkour, freerunning og tricking.
This week-long event has been planned out to offer the best possible conditions for training parkour, freerunning and tricking. Through the week there will be workshops in 3 levels of experience in the 3 disciplines, and also lots of opportunities to train more freely. We have hooked up with some of the most experienced athletes, and Gerlev Sports Academy offers the best possible facilities, - so European Gathering is your opportunity to get optimal training, new network and friendships.

Streetmovement Park.
We have designed a unique training facility for parkour and freerunning. Each of the segments have been inspired from some of the nicest spots we have visited in both London and Lisses/Evry; - it will be the first of its kind in the world (what we know of). The official opening will be the 19th of august at the European Gathering of Streetmovement.

See pictures here!

The Academy
Other than the unique Streetmovement Park, Gerlev Sports Academy offers:

+ Big indoor gym, 30x50m -we can fit 3 10x10 tatami-sections if needed.
+ Circular gym; 30m in diameter – perfect for shows and stuff.
+ 10x30m gym covered with tatami, 1 big trampoline in floor-level with super-soft landing-mat.
+ 2 x beach volley.
+ Soccer field, also possible to place tatami-mats here.
+ Swimming pool with 2 x 1m - and a 3m dive-tower. Here we can install a 1m tall box, for practicing vaults 2 flips (monkey-gainer, dash-front flip etc.)
+ Kitchen, where the staff serves 3 delicious and nutritious meals + fruit, snacks, coffee and tea.
+ Street basket, skating facility, freesbee-golf, saunas , big-screen lounge and a nearby beach.

Instructors
We have hooked up with some of the best athletes within each discipline, which gives you a unique possibility of direct instruction in classes throughout the week. Instruction is optional though, you can also choose to train and jam more freely –where everybody can inspire.

The responsible instructors that have signed up are listed beneath:
Laurent Piemontesi (Yamakasi),
Yann Hnautra (Yamakasi),
Daniel Ilabaca (Urban Heroes),
Bobby Gordon Smith (Urban Heroes),
Anis Cheurfa (Loopkicks),
Chris Devera (Loopkicks),
Thomas Videbæk (Streetmovement),
Peter Ammentorp (Streetmovement),
Martin Kallesøe (Streetmovement)

Prices Double room: 3.600 Dkr = 484€ (seperate beds).
Dorm: 3.000 Dkr = 404€
Youth under 18 år: 1.950 Dkr = 263€ (Can only choose dorm)
If you sign up as a team / group of 5 or more we give a solid 20% discount.

You can sign up with this form: Registration
If you have any problems contact: [email protected] or [email protected]
OBS: If you are younger than 18, we need a written agreement from a parent or guardian – contact [email protected]

FAQ
We have been talking to a lot of athletes as we planned out this event, so to answer some of the same thoughts that you might have:
- Am I good enough? This gathering is for everybody! There will be both newcomers, highly skilled athletes and also teachers and so forth, that just want new input to their physical education classes.
- To expensive? We have squeezed the price as much as possible without compromising the standards of food, accommodation and so forth. Look at this gathering as training/vacation and remember how much it would cost to travel, get accommodation and food, if you where to journey out and visit the instructors in their hometowns. The gathering offers all this in one place and under unique conditions.
- Do you have school/work to attend? Remember that this is only one single week out of a whole year. If you act on this now, and address your boss, teachers or student adviser with this event, we are sure that you can work something out. Tell him/her that this is a unique opportunity for you, and offer to be flexible yourself. Extra work later or maybe a school project on these phenomena’s - there is a lot of talents with invaluable experiences and knowledge gathered at this event.

Take this opportunity to train under optimum conditions, network and new friendships. You can apply as late as the 15th of august, but don’t wait to long to make your decision, there is a limited number of participants.

Anyway, anyone up for a trip to Lisses in two to four years? My friend, Jeremy, and I are planning a trip to Lisses, Evry, London, and maybe some other cities. thumbsup.gif

#75 Silk

Silk
  • 6906 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:44 AM

I may be going to meet Daniel Ilabaca soon. A friend of mine, Pete (from Oxford), often meets up with him and has given me the opportunity to go up with him next time. I dunno though, an honor and everything to be able to meet one of the few people who can do monkey gainers and would probably be able to help me progress loads, but a 5 hour train journey each way to get to Liverpool is dispiriting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users