Can't get access to the internet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:15 PM

I'm trying to clean up / organise my girlfriends laptop but to do it I need access to the net. It was working until about 10 minutes a go but now it apparantly has an "invalid IP". Any hints on how I can fix this?

#2 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

can you show a screenshot?

#3 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

sorry, I don't have any way of getting the screenshot to my desktop. Left my memory stick at work.

could it have anything to do with the DNS? When I try to open the net it says it's trying to download something to do with the DNS but obviously it can't as it doesn't have access.

help me please xD

Ok after a little fiddling round with it...it now says I'm connected yet the internet still won't work. I just get "this page cannot be displayed"

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

I assume this is trying to connect to a wireless router? Do you have a desktop hooked up to the router also and does the internet work on that? If it does, then I have to assume that there's a problem with the DHCP server (the thing that randomly assigns IP addresses to devices connected to the router). Usually when it says "Invalid IP" for me I just reset the router and it seems to work after that.

#5 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Aug 6 2007, 09:14 AM) View Post
I assume this is trying to connect to a wireless router? Do you have a desktop hooked up to the router also and does the internet work on that? If it does, then I have to assume that there's a problem with the DHCP server (the thing that randomly assigns IP addresses to devices connected to the router). Usually when it says "Invalid IP" for me I just reset the router and it seems to work after that.

Would I lose all established connections if I was to reset the router? There is another laptop and a desktop that are connected to the router also.

Thanks for the reply by the way. I was beginning to think this thread was a lost cause tongue.gif

#6 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 02:22 AM) View Post
Would I lose all established connections if I was to reset the router? There is another laptop and a desktop that are connected to the router also.

Thanks for the reply by the way. I was beginning to think this thread was a lost cause tongue.gif

Yeah, but then the laptop and the comp would just automatically renew their IP address (or a new one) and keep going... just make sure you're not downloading anything. tongue.gif

... and no problem. biggrin.gif

#7 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Aug 6 2007, 09:25 AM) View Post
Yeah, but then the laptop and the comp would just automatically renew their IP address (or a new one) and keep going... just make sure you're not downloading anything. tongue.gif

... and no problem. biggrin.gif

So just to clarify....There is no chance of me breaking anything by doing this?

EDIT: I just went to the control pannel of my router and there is no option for a reset. There is disconnect and refresh....would that do the trick?

Or should I use "restore" from the start menu?

Edited by Oaken, 06 August 2007 - 12:34 AM.

#8 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 02:49 AM) View Post
So just to clarify....There is no chance of me breaking anything by doing this?

EDIT: I just went to the control pannel of my router and there is no option for a reset. There is disconnect and refresh....would that do the trick?

Or should I use "restore" from the start menu?

On my router, there's a button the back to press. You may lose whatever custom settings you had before like passwords, and stuff... it may restore the router to factory defaults, cause I'm not sure what kind of router you have. I just know that it works for me. wacko.gif

#9 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:58 AM

I'm not sure I'm going to go through with the reset tongue.gif...just in case.

One possible solution I have found is it to assign the laptop with a static IP...but I am unsure how to do this.

#10 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 02:58 AM) View Post
One possible solution I have found is it to assign the laptop with a static IP...but I am unsure how to do this.

You need to login to your router and define specific MAC addresses. Each computer has a physical address called a MAC address. You will have to configure your router to recognize these MAC addresses and then assign specific IPs to computers based on the MAC address. That would mean disabling DHCP altogether.

Don't ask me how to do this though, that's just the whole concept of it all. I happen to like DHCP on my router. tongue.gif

#11 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 03:58 AM) View Post

If you have a Linksys (most common wireless/wired router sold at WalMart) It's probably a WRT54G.

Log into the router. Go to "Administration" tab. Then to Factory defaults. Select YES. Click "Save Settings".

You have nothing to fear on connection. If you have done nothing else to the router EVERYTHING (including the out going IP) is set to DHCP. SO you'll be fine.

But this honestly sounds more like a problem with your GF's computer. First, unplug your router (after about 10 seconds, let the RAM clear) then plug it back in . It should come on automatically. Wait about 30 seconds for all the IPs to be assigned. Check you desktop connection. Then check the laptop's connection. Power cycle the laptop if it still refuses to work. Other wise, pawn the bitch.

#12 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(ShadowLink64 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:05 PM) View Post
You need to login to your router and define specific MAC addresses. Each computer has a physical address called a MAC address. You will have to configure your router to recognize these MAC addresses and then assign specific IPs to computers based on the MAC address. That would mean disabling DHCP altogether.

Don't ask me how to do this though, that's just the whole concept of it all. I happen to like DHCP on my router. tongue.gif

Ok thanks for the help SL

I'll work on what Cataliste says now and see if i have better luck. How do I "Power Cycle" the laptop? At the moment that question is just out of interest as it's not come to doing that yet tongue.gif

#13 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 03:43 PM) View Post
Ok thanks for the help SL

I'll work on what Cataliste says now and see if i have better luck. How do I "Power Cycle" the laptop? At the moment that question is just out of interest as it's not come to doing that yet tongue.gif

Power cycle is a big technician word. It means turn it off and turn it back on. xD

#14 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Aug 6 2007, 09:46 PM) View Post
Power cycle is a big technician word. It means turn it off and turn it back on. xD

Simple as that? blink.gif I was expecting something tricky with a name like that.

Also, when you say "unplug your router"...you mean from the mains right? or just from the Computer?

#15 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 03:53 PM) View Post
Simple as that? blink.gif I was expecting something tricky with a name like that.

Also, when you say "unplug your router"...you mean from the mains right? or just from the Computer?

From the power supply.

#16 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

A) Unplug it from electricity. Count to 15. Plug back in.
Problem solved; Else:

Start > Run > CMD

Enter this in:

ipconfig /release (press enter)
ipconfig /flushdns (press enter)
ipconfig /renew (press enter)

/smokebomb

#17 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:19 PM

/smokebomb?

seems like a weird thing to type in. Struggling to pick up a signal now (really starting to annoy me) so I'll try the CMD commands soon. Thanks Trevor thumbsup.gif

ok I unplugged the router and waited for 15 seconds. I then tried all the CMD commands and still nothing.

I just keep getting the message "there is little or no connectivity"....yet the signal strength is excellent and it says I am connected. Apparantly the laptop was not assigned a network gateway.

I also checked the Administrator section of the router configuration panel but there is no option to restore the factory settings. There is "restore" in the start menu though.

#18 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 04:04 PM) View Post
/smokebomb?

seems like a weird thing to type in. Struggling to pick up a signal now (really starting to annoy me) so I'll try the CMD commands soon. Thanks Trevor thumbsup.gif

Ignore that. xD

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 04:19 PM) View Post
/smokebomb?

ok I unplugged the router and waited for 15 seconds. I then tried all the CMD commands and still nothing.

I just keep getting the message "there is little or no connectivity"....yet the signal strength is excellent and it says I am connected. Apparantly the laptop was not assigned a network gateway.

I also checked the Administrator section of the router configuration panel but there is no option to restore the factory settings. There is "restore" in the start menu though.

Thats a problem with your laptop most likely. Make sure it is set for DHCP....

#19 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

It's definatly set for DCHP as I have seen it while laying around with the internet settings.

I manually filled in all the details for the internet connection like the IP, deafult gateway etc and the "there is only limited or no access" message disappeared. Yet the homepage does not come up when I open IE. I tried other site's too but nothing opens.

#20 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(Oaken @ Aug 6 2007, 05:07 PM) View Post
It's definatly set for DCHP as I have seen it while laying around with the internet settings.

I manually filled in all the details for the internet connection like the IP, deafult gateway etc and the "there is only limited or no access" message disappeared. Yet the homepage does not come up when I open IE. I tried other site's too but nothing opens.

Hmmm

Set your router for static IPs. Then fill in the info manually.

#21 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Cataliste @ Aug 6 2007, 11:38 PM) View Post
Hmmm

Set your router for static IPs. Then fill in the info manually.

I'm not sure how to set static IP's unsure.gif

the Router I have is Orange Wanadoo and it's notorious for being absolute crap tongue.gif

#22 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click on the Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Right Click > Properties

Once there make sure that 'Assign an IP address automatically is ticked' and so is 'obtain DNS'

If it still not working, I talk you through a manual IP address smile.gif

Edited by Rambo, 06 August 2007 - 11:16 PM.

#23 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:44 AM

My router is a bitch and has a hard time assigning IP addresses dry.gif

#24 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

my router is cake to set IP's biggrin.gif I love my WRT54GL

#25 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Fatal @ Aug 7 2007, 04:35 PM) View Post
my router is cake to set IP's biggrin.gif I love my WRT54GL

I just have the WRT54G with the DDT O/S or W/E. It doesn't like assigning IPs 1we8.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users