Basically it lists everything on your computer, so you can determine whether or not you've got a virus/spyware installed, & if so delete it.
Part 1: Generating the Log
1. Download HijackThis by clicking http://files.webatta.../HijackThis.exe, and save it somewhere you'll remember. It's best to place the backgrounds in a seperate folder, so the backups won't clutter your workspace.
2. Open HijackThis & Click the config button
3. Click the misc tools button on the top
4. Click Generate Startup log, then click ok. A text file will come up with your system details.
5. Save the text file, then upload it as an attachment on the forums for our professional analysis
Part 2: Deleting bad files.
1. On the main menu, click scan
2. In our response, see what objects we've told you to delete and check them, then click Fix Checked. For example, if I told you to delete BHO - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll &
BHO - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll, this is what you'd do: I'mportant: Don't actually delete jccatch and googletoolbar2.dll, I was just using them as an example!
That pretty much concludes my summary, if you have any problems or find any errors please contact me and I'll try to rectify them.