Quantcast

Photo

The Death Penalty for Rape?

capital punishment rapists rape

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

Story here

Now...put your opinions regarding the death penalty aside...Assuming you do believe in it...do you believe it should extend to other serious crimes than murder?

In this case, a young girl was raped and the accused was sentenced to the death penalty. The last time a case got brought to the supreme court it was an adult who had been raped and the death penalty was thrown out.

Obviously the crime is more heinous since it's being done to a little girl, but still...does the person deserve a shot at rehabilitation? If not, is life in prison a fair punishment?

Looking forward to replies.

#2 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

i believe that first time offenders, if the crime did not lead to death, should not get the death penalty. no matter what you did, if you did not kill somebody, you deserve a second chance, no matter how barked up what you did was.

Re-offenders, and Rapist murderers Should get the death penalty.

and a Juvenile offender in ANY situation, should be institutionalized.

i honestly think that Castration should be put in place instead of the death penalty. to have your twig and berries cut off with a white hot knife. no anesthetic.

The death penalty is not even a deterrant for murderers, so why would it be for sex offenders. if you look at the numbers, sex offenders ALREADY have the lowest re-offense rate. period.

Edited by Dudeonline, 11 September 2007 - 12:35 PM.

#3 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

Death penalty for all repeat capital felony offenders. You f*cked up more than once to the same degree, you forfeit your life. Actions have consequences, and when your actions are as heinous as the one listed, the punishments deserve to be equally heinous.

We should just do it like the not so ancient Indians (South Asia) did it: turn the offender over to the family of the one he harmed. No prosecution for anything they do to him.

#4 otherworld

otherworld
  • 1022 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

An adult raping a child should get the death penalty no question. adult raping another adult, not so serious, while obviously needing a harsh punishment death might be going too far. Then again I suppose some people would prefer death than spending years in prison.

oh and repeat cases should lead to death

Edited by otherworld, 11 September 2007 - 12:37 PM.

#5 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(otherworld @ Sep 11 2007, 01:36 PM)  
An adult raping a child should get the death penalty no question. adult raping another adult, not so serious, while obviously needing a harsh punishment death might be going too far. Then again I suppose some people would prefer death than spending years in prison.

very true, considering sex offenders have an average life span of 5 years in prison.

#6 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE(Dudeonline @ Sep 11 2007, 03:38 PM)  
very true, considering sex offenders have an average life span of 5 years in prison.

Even the thieves and drug dealers don't like child molesters. Shanked in your sleep is an easy way to die compared to lethal injection. You don't even feel the knife go in. The buildup around a lethal injection is so stressful, you're almost dead before they put anything into you.

#7 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(redlion @ Sep 11 2007, 03:49 PM)  
Even the thieves and drug dealers don't like child molesters. Shanked in your sleep is an easy way to die compared to lethal injection. You don't even feel the knife go in. The buildup around a lethal injection is so stressful, you're almost dead before they put anything into you.

Ever been stabbed?

Also, it's not always a quick death, anyone would take a bullet over a knife.

QUOTE(otherworld @ Sep 11 2007, 03:36 PM)  

oh and repeat cases should lead to death

Where do we draw the line at child?

The line was drawn at 18 once upon a time for murderers but that's been blurred all the way to 14 year olds on occasion. So, what defines a child? Someone who rapes a 16 year old survives while someone who rapes a 15 year old dies? Obviously the rapist won't be able to tell the difference there.

#8 otherworld

otherworld
  • 1022 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

Obviously the rapist won't be able to tell the difference there.

Oh well its a rapist.. if they die who cares. But more seriously I think the age they sentence to death should be 14 or under

#9 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(otherworld @ Sep 11 2007, 02:02 PM)  
Oh well its a rapist.. if they die who cares. But more seriously I think the age they sentence to death should be 14 or under

Rapists are still humans, and Humans can still learn, and be rehabilitated.

I agree that they deserve to die if they refuse or are not responsive to said rehabilitation.

#10 otherworld

otherworld
  • 1022 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

yeah that bit wasnt meant seriously. (Thats why I put "but more seriously" on the next bit)

#11 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(otherworld @ Sep 11 2007, 04:02 PM)  

This is where I have a problem with it...There are some 14 year olds who look like they're 17. Some people develop faster. I would say the age would have to be 12 and under so there's no mistake. The death penalty isn't a deterrant if the criminal isn't aware that they'll get it.

Then again, maybe setting it at 16 would protect anyone under 20 because the rapist would be too afraid to take a chance.

Yeah, I like it @ 16.

#12 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(Cript @ Sep 11 2007, 02:07 PM)  
This is where I have a problem with it...There are some 14 year olds who look like they're 17. Some people develop faster. I would say the age would have to be 12 and under so there's no mistake. The death penalty isn't a deterrant if the criminal isn't aware that they'll get it.

Then again, maybe setting it at 16 would protect anyone under 20 because the rapist would be too afraid to take a chance.

Yeah, I like it @ 16.

But Death isn't a deterrent to Murderers, how and why would it be a deterrent to sex offenders?

#13 otherworld

otherworld
  • 1022 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

murder is generally done in an a burst of rage. Rape I suppose isnt.

And people think they can get away with murder, its hard to think you will get away with rape.

#14 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

You reap what you sow.

Murder for Murder.

Loss of life (prison, not death penalty) and emotional pain for rape.

#15 otherworld

otherworld
  • 1022 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Or rapsists get raped by a big fat guy called Joe as punishment.

#16 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:38 PM

I agree with the death penalty, but it should never extend beyond murder. Not because I'm compassionate or something, but just think about it. If you make the punishments for other things equivalent to the punishment for murder, then there's no reason for the criminal NOT to murder their victim. As a matter of fact, once someone knows they committed a death penalty crime, their first reaction may very well be to murder everyone that could even remotely be considered a witness. They are already death penalty eligible, so committing more death penalty offenses becomes less of a problem.

If you get caught either way, you get death. But if you get rid of witnesses there is no one to tell on you, and you aren't putting yourself to a greater punishment if you take that route since you were already getting death.

Bad idea.

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 11 September 2007 - 01:39 PM.

#17 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

I think they should be handed over to the family, to have their way with them for ~ a couple days. Depending on what the family did, they'd probably get jail time too.

#18 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(BrknPhoenix @ Sep 11 2007, 11:38 PM)  
I agree with the death penalty, but it should never extend beyond murder. Not because I'm compassionate or something, but just think about it. If you make the punishments for other things equivalent to the punishment for murder, then there's no reason for the criminal NOT to murder their victim.

I agree with that.
Plus, prison for life should be the solution for a rapist, especially since the life span is so low.

Leaving the punishment in the hands of the victim's family seems to me like the worst way out of it.
Those people would never be able to let everything go after that. They'll either hurt him and then start feeling guilty (don't say they'll feel content; satisfaction brought by taking revenge never lasts) or let him go easily and then wonder if they handled it wrong and if they're indirectly involved in creating other victims. Whereas having the molester put into prison will bring a [false] sense of justice and keep consciences clear.

Anyway, I'm completely against the death penalty and I don't even think that needs arguments blink.gif.

#19 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

actually, it *would* be nicer if the death penalty was used by more states, and faster.

you guys realize how much money us tax-paying good-hearted citizens spend for jail coverage each year? especially if people get "life sentences"

why not save the rest of us money and kill them anyway? why keep them alive and in jail?

#20 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

See... with that specific case I am having a hard time judging. I think the key words are that his daughter was badly injured. In my opinion a lot of courts press the limits of a charge as far as they can when they can't get a defendant on another charge which is harsher. I think it is entirely possible that it more than looked like an attempted murder to the jury (at least that is what I am assuming for such a horrible charge) but since I don't know the details of the case I don't know. I think if it was a case of attempted murder and brutality as well as rape I would have no problem with him getting the death penalty as perhaps it could not have been his intent to murder but his brutality got the girl so close to death that it may as well be.

I however for most cases do not believe in death penalty for rape. The only time being extremes like I think that one could possibly be. I am in favor of more harsh, much, much more harsh punishments for child rape or other rape cases and child abuse crimes. Currently in this country you cannot get the death penalty for "accidental" death of a child in child abuse cases by parents. This is the most despicable thing I have ever heard. In this case it is far worse than just murder as they have abused the child their whole lives as well have had a captive victim for their sadistic pleasures. It's disgusting that they barely are punished for their crimes and I think the court realized that when they tried to give the harshest punishment possible to that man. Because if I am right and she was close to death... there should be no objections. Not the way I see it.

Actually murderkill (interesting name for this topic!) right now because of appeals it costs more for people to be executed than life in prison :\ Lawyer and court bills and all.

#21 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

personally i think the punishment should be somewhat relevant to the crime in this case, so jail time with a mandatory sterilization would be suitable in my opinion tongue.gif

#22 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

OK, assuming the death penalty is morally just (I dont think it is.)

No. As traumatic as rape victims can be, the rapist doesnt deserve to be killed. He didnt take a life. He ruined a life, but he didn't obliterate it.

#23 Chris

Chris
  • 2235 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

death for rape... no... death for murder... yes

#24 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

Great discussion so far everyone.

In order to expand:

Regardless of your answer...does the age matter at all to you? Do you think that age should have a significant impact in other cases? Do certain circumstances matter at al

Here's an example of something I just pondered. Girl #1 is a prostitute and gets murdered. Girl # 2 is a single mother of 3 putting her children through school and also gets murdered. Do you believe in the same punishment for both murderers?

#25 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Cript @ Sep 11 2007, 10:13 PM)  
Great discussion so far everyone.

In order to expand:

Regardless of your answer...does the age matter at all to you? Do you think that age should have a significant impact in other cases? Do certain circumstances matter at al

Here's an example of something I just pondered. Girl #1 is a prostitute and gets murdered. Girl # 2 is a single mother of 3 putting her children through school and also gets murdered. Do you believe in the same punishment for both murderers?

Legally yes, but did you know that we apparently have a lot more serial killers than documented because they only kill prostitutes? The killers of them are usually very hard to find err... given the profession. Anyways the reason I have such a problem with child rape so incredibly much is because they can't run away from the person as usually it's a relative or friend of the family. It's a person of authority and they can't get away, you know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users