Quantcast

Photo

The Death Penalty for Rape?

capital punishment rapists rape

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(Cript @ Sep 11 2007, 09:13 PM)  
Great discussion so far everyone.

In order to expand:

Regardless of your answer...does the age matter at all to you? Do you think that age should have a significant impact in other cases? Do certain circumstances matter at al

Here's an example of something I just pondered. Girl #1 is a prostitute and gets murdered. Girl # 2 is a single mother of 3 putting her children through school and also gets murdered. Do you believe in the same punishment for both murderers?

It has an impact on the time they serve, age does. If someone is a first time rapist, life with parole. if they rape a 3 year old, life without parole.

#27 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Tetiel @ Sep 11 2007, 10:27 PM)  
Legally yes, but did you know that we apparently have a lot more serial killers than documented because they only kill prostitutes? The killers of them are usually very hard to find err... given the profession. Anyways the reason I have such a problem with child rape so incredibly much is because they can't run away from the person as usually it's a relative or friend of the family. It's a person of authority and they can't get away, you know?

Perfect example of what I'm driving at hon...the fact that it's a relative or someone in authority should have a bearing on their sentence as well...there are unlimited variables invovled with each case and criminals should realize how bad it will be for them if the commit a truly heinous crime.

#28 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(Cript @ Sep 11 2007, 10:13 PM)  
Great discussion so far everyone.

In order to expand:

Regardless of your answer...does the age matter at all to you? Do you think that age should have a significant impact in other cases? Do certain circumstances matter at al

Here's an example of something I just pondered. Girl #1 is a prostitute and gets murdered. Girl # 2 is a single mother of 3 putting her children through school and also gets murdered. Do you believe in the same punishment for both murderers?

Sentencing should be dependent on the severity of the crime and responsibility of the victim, in my opinion. Murder a nun on the way to the grocery store and get the death penalty. Murder a prostitute.... eh, slap on the wrist for the first offense.

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 11 September 2007 - 11:04 PM.

#29 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(Kitsune @ Sep 12 2007, 02:22 AM)  
I'm sorry but aren't prostitutes human too? Do you honestly think that someone working in the sex industry should get killed with little/no reprocussions?

Considering prositution is legal here, I probably just have a view which doesn't imply prostitutes go round provoking murderers so deserve to be killed.

I cannot believe you actually just said 'responsibility of the vicitim'. Ok yes, if two people voluntarily start fighting with knives and one kills the other, then yes, to some degree the victim knew what he was getting into and should take some responsibility, but otherwise, that was a terrible thing to say.

The victim always has responsibility, it's just that society doesn't see fit to make any admittance to that fact because it would be insensitive to the victim's families. However, I don't think it's a terrible thing to say at all. It's just a logical thing to say. If you take an action that results in a greater risk of a crime being committed against you, then you are naturally responsible to what happens to you to a degree.

Now, the slap on the wrist part admittedly is mostly my own opinion. My opinions of humanity go to dirt pretty quick when it comes to things of that nature. If someone is out on the street selling themselves for $10 a shot, I really don't care what happens to them. It's wrong to kill, however if the person was going to kill someone, I'd rather they kill someone that went out of their way to put themselves in such a bad situation as opposed to someone else. If a reduced sentence will make killers target prostitutes over others, I'm all for it.

Yes, prostitutes are human. However, some humans are more valuable than others.

And as far as you being in a place where it's legal... here in the US it's only legal in like... parts of one state. So largely it is illegal. As a result prostitutes are on street corners and in alleys, and get into the cars of strange men on a regular basis. They've pretty much got a big "I'm easy to make disappear without a trace" bullseye right on their forehead.

As I said, I'd rather they die than a good person. If someone is going to kill, they should be encouraged to go for the lower. If someone is going to rape, they should rape the whore and not the virgin. Build karma into the justice system.

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 11 September 2007 - 11:35 PM.

#30 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(BrknPhoenix @ Sep 12 2007, 05:33 PM)  
The victim always has responsibility, it's just that society doesn't see fit to make any admittance to that fact because it would be insensitive to the victim's families.

Not always true, I mean when my mum was 16 one of her friends was walking down the street, abducted, raped and then killed. I also have very close friends who have been raped and I find it very uncalled for that you would say that they are partly responsible.

#31 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(Raui @ Sep 12 2007, 03:02 AM)  
Not always true, I mean when my mum was 16 one of her friends was walking down the street, abducted, raped and then killed. I also have very close friends who have been raped and I find it very uncalled for that you would say that they are partly responsible.

Well, I should have clarified the extent to which it's always true. I didn't mean necessarily the victim has a lot of responsibility. But they do at least a little. And it's not uncalled for at all, it's simply logical. For example, when determining damages for something like a car wreck... Oftentimes individuals aren't regarded as being completely 100% not responsible for something. Even if you left your car parked somewhere and came back and someone hit it. Of course it's their fault for being idiots and hitting it, but it's at least fractionally your responsibility for parking in a place where it could be hit.

Same goes for something like a car hitting a pedestrian. While the pedestrian always has the right of way, they still have the power to look both ways and avoid any cars that do not want to give them the right of way. If a person doesn't look at all and gets hit, it's mostly the cars fault, but the pedestrian bears a degree of responsibility for not looking.

All I'm saying is that we are never 0% responsible for something that happens to us, and that applies to anything, not just crimes. Of course if someone is just minding their own business and the responsibility of the individual is negligible, the full weight of the penalty should be placed on the criminal. However I'm more talking about situations where the victim's responsibility (i.e. prostitutes as an extreme example) is more clear.

However, I stand by my statement that everyone is at least to a degree responsible, however small a degree it may be, for whatever happens to them. Even if it's something as simple as deciding to leave the house at a bad time of night. I'm not saying that something so negligible should give a criminal a break in sentencing (it shouldn't) but just as a matter of accuracy we are always responsible to a variable degree.

Which brings me back to my original point... I feel if the degree of victim's responsibility is not negligible, it should be factored into sentencing.

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 12 September 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#32 Suz

Suz
  • Suzy-wuzy-munchkin

• 172 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:40 AM

Castration 1we8.gif

#33 Akira

Akira
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:51 AM

A lot of people have strong feelings about this. Personally, I doubt that whomever was raped really wants their rapist to improve. They want their rapist to stay away and be gone forever. Imagine a little girl of seven or so that got raped. She is traumatized, but would it not be doubly traumatizing to see that man go free after claiming to be better?

The death sentence seems harsh, however. In case of children under the age of 18, it should be allowed. If the rapist cries that he didn't know that the person was 18 or under when he raped them, it still would not exemplify him of the crime. Not knowing is one thing, but it still isn't legal either way. If they are on the borderline, they should get a choice between castration or death, and if the raped one wants to choose, they can choose. Hell, they could castrate then kill.

If the raped one was over 18, however, the choice would be to either castrate them or to have the rapist get raped. Throw 'em in a cell and tell the boys that is mandatory that they rape the guy.

I'm ultimately all for having the rapist get raped, because I honestly don't think that they would want to try again after being raped themselves. Oh, and the one that rapes them has to be at least twice their size-in more ways than one. That would pretty much scare the shit right out of them. Plus, other sex offenders might think twice if they know what's coming.

#34 Sasha

Sasha
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:57 AM

And who would have the job of raping the rapist? Really, that's a very unrealistic solution for this.
I think castration would be good enough, but the offender would have to have been found guilty of rape at least twice before being castrated. Still, that punishment would be too dangerous, as it would probably turn the rapist to other types of violence.

Edited by Sasha, 12 September 2007 - 03:58 AM.

#35 Akira

Akira
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:26 AM

It's unrealistic, yes, hence why the prisoners would do it. However, you must ask yourself: How bad is it to rape someone. What is the offense? They know that they will be caught, so obviously money or jail time means nothing. What then? Electro-shock the genitalia? Lock 'em away? Or set 'em loose with the responsibility of saying 'I'm a sex offender' to their neighbors? It's a tough call, and the victims would probably not even hesitate to say 'kill 'em' if they were given a choice.

Where do we draw the line?

#36 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

Yeah dude its kinda really inappropriate sad.gif I think death penalty should go for it

#37 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(Sasha @ Sep 11 2007, 07:34 PM)  
Leaving the punishment in the hands of the victim's family seems to me like the worst way out of it.
Those people would never be able to let everything go after that. They'll either hurt him and then start feeling guilty (don't say they'll feel content; satisfaction brought by taking revenge never lasts) or let him go easily and then wonder if they handled it wrong and if they're indirectly involved in creating other victims. Whereas having the molester put into prison will bring a [false] sense of justice and keep consciences clear.

I disagree. I'd MUCH prefer have the person handed over to me... and revenge WOULD be satisfying. Even if I only got at him for 15 minutes, before they sent him to jail, I'd like him in for life, after 15 minutes of me wailing on him. Don't even THINK I wouldn't do it, and you're dead wrong if you think I'd feel bad about it, if he hurt someone in my family.

Kitsune, where do you live, so that prostitution is legal?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

Edited by Pomroy, 12 September 2007 - 09:17 AM.

#38 DudeOnline

DudeOnline
  • 1897 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

Also, you would be very surprised to find out how many people would be put to death just because Jenny's Daddy, doesnt like you messin around with his 14 year old Daughter who told you she was 18

Fictional example, but things like this have happened many times before.

#39 Cript

Cript
  • 1940 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(Dudeonline @ Sep 12 2007, 01:36 PM)  
Also, you would be very surprised to find out how many people would be put to death just because Jenny's Daddy, doesnt like you messin around with his 14 year old Daughter who told you she was 18

Fictional example, but things like this have happened many times before.

Big difference between statutory rape and violent rape. Jenny would have to show signs of a struggle, have DNA evidence, etc and of course testify that she was raped...I very highly doubt anyone would receive a tough sentence for raping their girlfriend.

#40 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:18 AM

rape penalty for death

#41 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(murderkill @ Sep 15 2007, 07:18 PM)  
rape penalty for death

Does raping the global standard of humour count?

*sigh*

#42 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Pomroy @ Sep 12 2007, 02:16 PM)  
I disagree. I'd MUCH prefer have the person handed over to me... and revenge WOULD be satisfying. Even if I only got at him for 15 minutes, before they sent him to jail, I'd like him in for life, after 15 minutes of me wailing on him. Don't even THINK I wouldn't do it, and you're dead wrong if you think I'd feel bad about it, if he hurt someone in my family.

Thumbs up to that!

Rapes pretty bad. People should definitely get plenty of prison time to learn through empirical observation why you shouldn't do it.

#43 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(Sunscorch @ Sep 15 2007, 01:28 PM)  
Does raping the global standard of humour count?

*sigh*

i tried sorry.gif

#44 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(BrknPhoenix @ Sep 12 2007, 09:22 AM)  
Which brings me back to my original point... I feel if the degree of victim's responsibility is not negligible, it should be factored into sentencing.

What would you class as not negligible? In relation to this topic:

A completely drunk 18 year old girl walking home in a miniskirt shouting "Someone come and screw me" at about 2am?
A slightly drunk girl walking home in a miniskirt at 2am?
A girl walking home at 2am?

It'd be hard to draw a line, but it does need drawing.
The first example is past the line, and should be taken into consideration. The last one however, bears no case of provocation or inapproperiate behaviour, and the girls actions shouldn't even need to be discussed.

It'd become quite tricky to determine where that line is drawn, and not just in cases of rape.

QUOTE(BrknPhoenix @ Sep 12 2007, 08:33 AM)  
Yes, prostitutes are human. However, some humans are more valuable than others.

Your views on humans are so, so bad. I'm sure these women would much rather live in a nice home, with a nice car and a nice husband to come home to, but conditions in their countries (usually) force them to live such shit lives.

If you're ranking humans on who deserves to die based on their appearance and job, then you should start to think about the man living in his comfy chair that sells these women to cheap nasty places.

#45 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

Prostitutes are just trying to make it by dry.gif Sex is just a material thing... it's like... not selling love or something, it's just sex. Like casual sex or something... who cares? Yes, it's dirty, and all, but they're just working their niche. I don't much like your opinion on humans dry.gif

#46 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

My problem with it... and this is getting completely on a different subject is that no, they really aren't just trying to get by. Basically I learned my Deviant Behavior class they choose it because it's easy and has flexible hours. Basically they are hardly the victim unless forced into it which usually isn't the case. Prostitution at least in America has very large risks. I don't understand how anyone could deem the profession possible especially since one can get a much safer job say... working at McDonalds. You won't get beaten, diseased, or possibly murdered nearly as often whatsoever. The pay is less but I think that compared to prostitution just not having to go to the hospital all the time is enough. Might I add that they're almost always hiring. I'm sorry. I don't have sympathy for them whatsoever unless again they were forced into it. Which - again - believe it or not is not often the case. While I do not share Brknphoenix's opinion per say I do understand it. And Trixx in my opinion sex should not be "material" but that's another topic. Casual sex is also not one of my... favorite subjects either.

Also Sida... I know him well enough to say that he thinks those men are just as bad or even worse scum. Anyways as far as the example you used also I don't think any girl should be walking home by themselves in a high risk area at 2 am. It just isn't safe. While I do not think that they should be punished in any way or the criminal should have any lack of punishment I do place some blame on her for not being responsible enough to call a taxi :\ It's just not something a girl should do now days ESPECIALLY if she's drunk. It's not safe to place yourself in situations like that and if you can't help it because you're drunk... then to play it safe don't be drunk alone or walk outside alone. Always be with friends. While again I don't think anything should be done differently legally I think it's stupid to do such a thing and unfortunate that the girl would have that much of a lapse in judgment.

#47 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(SidaZoid @ Sep 17 2007, 12:09 PM)  
It'd be hard to draw a line, but it does need drawing.

Well, I'm certainly not going to go over every single possible case here, but take a look at insurance companies and their policies. You can classify just about anything, and yes, it would need drawing. It could be rather broadly drawn as well.

If you're ranking humans on who deserves to die based on their appearance and job, then you should start to think about the man living in his comfy chair that sells these women to cheap nasty places.

Correction: Nice twist, but I'm ranking humans based on their choice of an illegal and dangerous profession. I made clear the distinction that I view them as such because of those reasons. I don't know where you came up with this assumption because I made that pretty clear before. And I never said anything about appearance. That, you just made up.

QUOTE(Pomroy @ Sep 17 2007, 12:40 PM)  
Prostitutes are just trying to make it by dry.gif Sex is just a material thing... it's like... not selling love or something, it's just sex. Like casual sex or something... who cares? Yes, it's dirty, and all, but they're just working their niche. I don't much like your opinion on humans dry.gif

And I don't much like your opinion on sex. And the "just trying to make it by" excuse doesn't fly. If it's illegal where you live, that is that. And regardless of legality you shouldn't be hanging around on the street corner (I believe that is still illegal in the US even in the few places prostitution is legal.) Why? Because it's dangerous.

What about all the males that manage to make it by in life without having the option (in general...) of selling their body on the street? Somehow, 50% of the population who doesn't have that occupation as an option still manages to "get by" without it.

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 17 September 2007 - 03:28 PM.

#48 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(Kitsune @ Sep 17 2007, 07:08 PM)  
Ok you can't say a person SHOULD HAVE TO actively prevent getting raped. I'm sorry but anyone should be able to walk wherever the hell they want, and NOT have to change anything simply ebcause they might get raped. You just can't say a person is even partially responsible for getting raped because they walked through a dangerous area. You have every right to walk there, drunk or sober, at night or during the day, miniskirt or snowsuit. It's not a right to rape someone. End of. Just because you chose to walk through a dangerous area doesn't mean you are responsible for someone elses action.

Well, I guess I just have to say I disagree. If you choose to take a more dangerous path over a less dangerous path, or choose a more dangerous time as opposed to a less dangerous time, that was a decision made by the victim and not the criminal. I'm not saying it's a right to rape people or it's not a right to go where you want, however it cannot be denied that if someone makes a conscious decision to take a risk they are in part responsible for the consequences of it.

I don't know why I'm getting fought so hard on this by everyone. Everyone would agree and say it's obvious that your decisions effect what happens to you and are your responsibility in any other situation but when I apply it to a victim, all of a sudden they are 100% free of responsibility and it's horrible to suggest otherwise :\

#49 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

So some friends and I have recently been debating as to whether or not the death penalty is a suitable punishment for convicted rapists. If the rapist has been clearly identified, say with solid DNA evidence, should Capital Punishment be readily considered and enforced for the rape?

If only for certain cases then what circumstances must be met for Capital Punishment to be considered?

Edited by Nymh, 21 July 2012 - 04:05 AM.
Added poll back after topic split

#50 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

No! No way!

They should be castrated and have the would cauterized.
Then they should live the rest of their days in a dark pit where interaction with humans is minimal.

No sun light, no seeing the face of a human being, no books, no TV etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users