Quantcast

Photo

The Death Penalty for Rape?

capital punishment rapists rape

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

Poll: Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

Should rapists be considered for Capital Punishment?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Capital Punishment is the easy and most expensive way out. Why drain our resources?

#52 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

I say yes for all cases. There's always a chance of them raping again when they're released, and to me, even one more person getting raped is unacceptable. They've already struck once, there's no reason to wait for it to happen again. I wouldn't give proven rapists a second chance, the risk is too great for the women around them.

You might want to put a poll in here, Yung.

#53 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

I say yes for all cases. There's always a chance of them raping again when they're released, and to me, even one more person getting raped is unacceptable. They've already struck once, there's no reason to wait for it to happen again. I wouldn't give proven rapists a second chance, the risk is too great for the women around them.

You might want to put a poll in here, Yung.

What about people who are found guilty by law but are actually innocent?

#54 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

What about people who are found guilty by law but are actually innocent?

When I say proven, I mean proven by DNA evidence, something solid. Not that beyond a reasonable doubt stuff.

#55 tri

tri
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user

• 1133 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Don't think they should get the death penalty. I think they should get a very long sentence. But I live in Canada so we don't have the Death Penalty.

#56 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

No! No way!

They should be castrated and have the would cauterized.
Then they should live the rest of their days in a dark pit where interaction with humans is minimal.

No sun light, no seeing the face of a human being, no books, no TV etc...

What the fuck is wrong with you?

#57 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Someone very close to me has been raped.

I saw firsthand the effect it had on them.

The people who are capable of doing such a terrible thing to another human being deserve the worst. The death penalty is a cope out.

Edited by Ivysaur, 20 July 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#58 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Someone very close to me has been raped.

I saw firsthand the effect it had on them.

The people who are capable of doing such a terrible thing to another human being deserve the worst. The death penalty is a cope out.

Under that logic that punishment should apply to you...

#59 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

Under that logic that punishment should apply to you...

The terrible thing in my post was rape.

#60 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

I don't condone the use of the death penalty, except when it is obviously dangerous or risky to keep a convict alive. The death penalty is an easy out, death isn't so bad, if what they did was really so bad, they should be kept alive so over time they might understand what they did and how wrong it was.

#61 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

The thing is, they don't get the death penalty, nor do they seem to get life sentences without parole. There was a gangrape caught on security camera in India the other day, and over there, they said the identified perps would at most get 3 years, if I recall correctly. Three years for brutally raping a young woman. Three! Around the world, rapists are "rehabilitated" or they just sit in prison for a while, and after a few years, released back into society.

I'm really sorry about your friend, Ivy.

#62 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

The terrible thing in my post was rape.

So raping someone is terrible but keeping someone locked the way you described is cool?

#63 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

So raping someone is terrible but keeping someone locked the way you described is cool?

Yup.

Someone that robs another of their innocence deserves worse.
What the f*** do you think we should do with people that rape young women?

I'm really sorry about your friend, Ivy.

Thanks Ladi.
She's made leaps and bounds in the last few years.

#64 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

There's no point discussing this with you, you're either really biased or really stupid, I hope it's the former.

#65 Habanero

Habanero
  • 275 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

Life in prison is the worst thing you could do to them. (besides torture but that's unethical)

#66 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

There's no point discussing this with you, you're either really biased or really stupid, I hope it's the former.

I think I'm a bit of both T__T

Sorry...i know I was extremely stand-offish but...I still don't think I'm wrong.

I don't see how punishing a rapist equates to raping someone.

#67 Maloo

Maloo
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

No! No way!

They should be castrated and have the would cauterized.
Then they should live the rest of their days in a dark pit where interaction with humans is minimal.

No sun light, no seeing the face of a human being, no books, no TV etc...

Uh..that's quite harsh, I'd say. You can't just violate every human right a person has because she raped someone. Of course, I know they should be punished and everything, but not like that! Imagine then, if the rapist got arrested, tortured and raped by some jerk in prison afterwards.Would the rapist's rapist have to suffer the same punishment, considering he wasn't raping an innocent person? Or did he "deserve to get raped"? I feel like torture is a really sensitive subject, because there's such a thin like between what's right and what's wrong, and judging a person based on your own morals is just too unfair, isn't it?

Edited by Maloo, 20 July 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#68 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Uh..that's quite harsh, I'd say. You can't just violate every human right a person has because she raped someone. Of course, I know they should be punished and everything, but not like that!

Honestly, I'm more of a "As long as the punishment fits the crime" kind of person.

Imagine then, if the rapist got arrested, tortured and raped by some jerk in prison afterwards.Would the rapist's rapist have to suffer the same punishment, considering he wasn't raping an innocent person? Or did he "deserve to get raped"? I feel like torture is a really sensitive subject, because there's such a thin like between what's right and what's wrong, and judging a person based on your own morals is just too unfair, isn't it?

Touche' Maloo. You made a really great point though...I believe people that commit these should be kept separated from the general population.

And yes...judging someone by my own morals is extremely unfair.
But...so is raping another.

#69 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:18 AM

A hefty prison sentence for the first offence and chemical castration on any further offences would be my choice.

#70 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

I split out the shooting discussion to its own thread because it was overtaking this one. http://www.neocodex....urora-colorado/

As for rapists getting the death penalty: no, and especially not across the board. While the effects of rape can be devastating to a person, and in some cases the victim might even kill themselves, it will not ruin every victim's life. Some people will cope with it and move on.

This, to me, is no different than saying that people like Charles Ponzi and Bernard Madoff should be killed as well because their schemes ruined so many people's lives.

#71 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:27 AM

No one has the right to kill someone else, save for self-defence.

#72 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

No one has the right to kill someone else, save for self-defence.

I'd add euthanasia in there too as well as killing to protect others (as opposed to just yourself).

#73 Nalah

Nalah
  • Can't hug every cat

• 555 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:50 AM

There are much worse things than death, and even if you did kill the person, what would it solve?

A hefty prison sentence for the first offence and chemical castration on any further offences would be my choice.

^^That exactly.

#74 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

I'd add euthanasia in there too as well as killing to protect others (as opposed to just yourself).

Euthanasia is different, because it's generally with consent, or someone who's basically already dead.
I agree with protecting others, though.

#75 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Euthanasia is different, because it's generally with consent, or someone who's basically already dead.

It's still technically killing somebody though, the law currently treats them effectively the same way I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users