Photo

Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

Using WinXP, any recommended antivirus programs?

what's the best av on the market now ?

#2 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:57 PM

http://www.bigstarre...yword=antivirus

Place to start I guess.

#3 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (pyke @ May 9 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm using kaspersky currently. Had been to those review sites but i need more information on personal experience

#4 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

Don't use a virus scanner? I don't. Eats up too much CPU/RAM for my liking. Just be smart about what you install on your computer. smile.gif

Also it's good to have working knowledge on HOW most viruses work, makes it 10x easier to remove them on your own. The only time I have had to resort to using pre-written programs is when I get a binary appending virus.

#5 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Cataliste @ May 9 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't use a virus scanner? I don't. Eats up too much CPU/RAM for my liking. Just be smart about what you install on your computer. smile.gif

Also it's good to have working knowledge on HOW most viruses work, makes it 10x easier to remove them on your own. The only time I have had to resort to using pre-written programs is when I get a binary appending virus.

i forgot you are into computers programming. I surfed all those sites so it's easy for me to get viruses LOL

#6 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (BinaryAttack @ May 9 2008, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i forgot you are into computers programming. I surfed all those sites so it's easy for me to get viruses LOL

LMFAO. I hear that. I can't count the computers I have fixed with like 50 viruses. And the owners ALWAYS deny looking at "those sites". tongue.gif

BTW, use Firefox. Or even Opera. Opera is "faster" and has a smaller footprint, but Firefox has extensions, and is "fairly" compatible with most sites. Also, Firefox and Opera have far fewer holes in their security, so it is MUCH less likely you will get a virus. tongue.gif

#7 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Cataliste @ May 9 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LMFAO. I hear that. I can't count the computers I have fixed with like 50 viruses. And the owners ALWAYS deny looking at "those sites". tongue.gif

BTW, use Firefox. Or even Opera. Opera is "faster" and has a smaller footprint, but Firefox has extensions, and is "fairly" compatible with most sites. Also, Firefox and Opera have far fewer holes in their security, so it is MUCH less likely you will get a virus. tongue.gif

LOL how dare they deny it, it's normal for people to visit those sites. Using firefox as well because it is compatible with more sites. IE sux anyway.

but hey 50viruses, wonder what sites did they visit LMFAO

#8 'B'

'B'
  • 934 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

BinaryAttack: a virus can only attack once you run an executable (DLL or EXE). that means you have to actually download an executable from a website. unless you're surfing in IE4 with ActiveX with full permissions or something, it's close to impossible for a website to actually download an executable and run it. From what I heard from a reliable friend, Javascript is pretty much limited in the harm it can do. it can do trivial things like popping up a million windows or shaking your wiindows (whoop-de-doo). I still use the NoScript Firefox add-on for a measure.

Some websites can make use of exploits in web browsers or web browser plugins such as Flash to run malicious code, but all that's needed to prevent that is simply keeping your software updated, since these get patched fairly rapidly.

But despite all the precautions programmers have set up to make web browsing safe, they're simply no match for simple human stupidity.

Here are my defences:
1) Caution
2) Firefox
3) HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) (EQSecure is a full-featured free HIPS)

HIPS basically intercepts any suspicious actions with system-wide hooks and notifies you asking for your permission. It's technical and can get annoying, but if you know how to use it, it's much better than a virus scanner IMO.

#9 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (bahblah @ May 9 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BinaryAttack: a virus can only attack once you run an executable (DLL or EXE). that means you have to actually download an executable from a website. unless you're surfing in IE4 with ActiveX with full permissions or something, it's close to impossible for a website to actually download an executable and run it. From what I heard from a reliable friend, Javascript is pretty much limited in the harm it can do. it can do trivial things like popping up a million windows or shaking your wiindows (whoop-de-doo). I still use the NoScript Firefox add-on for a measure.

Some websites can make use of exploits in web browsers or web browser plugins such as Flash to run malicious code, but all that's needed to prevent that is simply keeping your software updated, since these get patched fairly rapidly.

But despite all the precautions programmers have set up to make web browsing safe, they're simply no match for simple human stupidity.

Here are my defences:
1) Caution
2) Firefox
3) HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) (EQSecure is a full-featured free HIPS)

HIPS basically intercepts any suspicious actions with system-wide hooks and notifies you asking for your permission. It's technical and can get annoying, but if you know how to use it, it's much better than a virus scanner IMO.

thanks for the tips. Does HIP eats up a lot of RAM ?

my kaspersky gets pretty annoying when i enable the proactive defense. Even starting up MSN raised a redflag

Edited by BinaryAttack, 09 May 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#10 'B'

'B'
  • 934 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (BinaryAttack @ May 10 2008, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for the tips. Does HIP eats up a lot of RAM ?

my kaspersky gets pretty annoying when i enable the proactive defense. Even starting up MSN raised a redflag

EQSecure is at around 10 MBs. and yes process execution will raise a pop-up, but you can choose to remember allow/deny actions. or just allow all process executions altogether.

#11 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

nod32 and avg antivirus are quite good and don't eat up as much resorces as kaspesrky.

#12 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (bahblah @ May 10 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here are my defences:
1) Caution
2) Firefox

Lmfao. Blaster/Nachi much?

And HIPS sounds like a damn rootkit. xD

#13 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (Cataliste @ May 9 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lmfao. Blaster/Nachi much?

And HIPS sounds like a damn rootkit. xD

sounds ok to me. Last time i installed a spyware detector but in fact it's a virus itself..how dumb of me

#14 Jackus

Jackus
  • 704 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:31 AM

im using avast anivirus and spyware search & destroy... firefox browser too

#15 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (Jackus @ May 10 2008, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im using avast anivirus and spyware search & destroy... firefox browser too

any history of getting infected with virus and stuff?

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:26 AM

I use AVG Free along with ZoneAlarm Pro. I don't actually bother to fully virus scan my comp but it's good to have a backup just incase. tongue.gif

#17 hab

hab
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:27 AM

Kaspersky is the best anti-virus on the market IMO

#18 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:17 AM

hmm kaspersky, using it now but eating up a lot of resources

#19 hab

hab
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (BinaryAttack @ May 10 2008, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm kaspersky, using it now but eating up a lot of resources

yes I know, but if you have a good computer it shouldn't be a problem cool.gif

#20 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (hab @ May 10 2008, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes I know, but if you have a good computer it shouldn't be a problem cool.gif

okay, thanks for the tips

#21 hab

hab
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (BinaryAttack @ May 10 2008, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay, thanks for the tips

You're welcome.

Make sure you find a new key once they blacklist yours though.

#22 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (hab @ May 10 2008, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're welcome.

Make sure you find a new key once they blacklist yours though.

err i actually bought the license LOL. My strategy now is to off it when i am gaming and on it when i am 'surfing'

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (BinaryAttack @ May 10 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
err i actually bought the license LOL. My strategy now is to off it when i am gaming and on it when i am 'surfing'

I've never really understood people buying Anti-Virus software when there's free versions out there which are just as good.

Have a look at AntiVir and AVG Free.

#24 BinaryAttack

BinaryAttack
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Laser Wave @ May 10 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never really understood people buying Anti-Virus software when there's free versions out there which are just as good.

it's just too cheap, about $20 so i bought it

#25 hab

hab
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (Laser Wave @ May 10 2008, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a reason why some of them cost money... thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users