Quantcast

How to make sure a program is safe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Xx_fondue_xX_*

Guest_Xx_fondue_xX_*

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:30 PM

APPROVED BY HYDROGEN***

Ok I have seen a lot of people asking how to make sure a program is safe and packet-sniff the program.  First for this you'll need to go to this site and download the installer.  Now, you should read up on the program a bit (a. k. a. view readme).  To do this, the program takes a log of say 30 seconds ot internet activity on your computer.  Start up your program and make it start running.  Then go back to the Ethereal program and start the 30 second log.  After this is done, it will display what it found.  Look for in the log, any suspicious links like anything other than neopets or whatever the program is designed to do.  I will update this later with screenshots once I get back to my normal computer.

#2 Smeags

Smeags
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

You can also run a firewall.  It'll block outgoing connections. So just check where its going (your firewall should tell you).

#3 xx_WLT_xx

xx_WLT_xx
  • 2471 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 03:30 AM

A good firewall is ZoneAlarm cause with the firewalls I have used, ZoneAlarm seems to be stable. I tried some firewalls and it seems that Kerio and ZoneAlarm were the only one that "can't be crashed by hackers" as when I tried some firewalls, they usually don't last as after someti'me using the firewall, some kinda hackers usually crash it and it was forced to shutdown making my computer vulnerable at that ti'me. Trust me, you would like to use a firewall  B)

#4 Storm

Storm
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:49 AM

Does this program show the coding for the programs or just like in/output data? ........about wlt's post: lol I keep my routers firewall off other wise you cant host games on BYOND on there everyone asks how to turn them off lol

#5 Firestorm

Firestorm
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:27 AM

Nobody get Norton anti-virus, it takes over your comp like mould growing on a bananna

#6 Assasinn3

Assasinn3
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:29 AM

Nobody get Norton anti-virus, it takes over your comp like mould growing on a bananna

View Post

Trust me I know what hes talkin about up there ^ and yes it does :closed: it busted my internet and now I have to go reformat my good comp, I'm on my bro's ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users