What are you currently reading?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#101 tastyphoxette

tastyphoxette
  • Tasty Cakes!

• 2648 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

I just started reading "The Panic of 1907" by Robert F. Bruner & Sean D. Carr because school's making me. :<

#102 Matriea

Matriea
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

Just finished brushing up on chem 151 ewwwww. As for leisure reading, I kinda want to start reading the Twighlight books- just to see what all the rage is about. I enjoy a good classic from time to time- like HG Wells stuff, CS Lewis, Tolkien, etc (NO I AM NOT A NERD THANK YOU VERY MUCH!). Also like Dan Brown, Pereti, Koontz, and political satires like 1984, Animal Farm, and Lord of the Flies- they're some of my favs smile.gif

#103 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Matriea @ Aug 25 2008, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just finished brushing up on chem 151 ewwwww. As for leisure reading, I kinda want to start reading the Twighlight books- just to see what all the rage is about. I enjoy a good classic from time to time- like HG Wells stuff, CS Lewis, Tolkien, etc (NO I AM NOT A NERD THANK YOU VERY MUCH!). Also like Dan Brown, Pereti, Koontz, and political satires like 1984, Animal Farm, and Lord of the Flies- they're some of my favs smile.gif

wooo lord of the flies is a classic! piggy got what was coming to him devil.gif

#104 Matriea

Matriea
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

Haha I love that book! Poor Piggy sad.gif I HATE Jack!

#105 Just Another User

Just Another User
  • 1586 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Matriea @ Aug 25 2008, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha I love that book! Poor Piggy sad.gif I HATE Jack!

Yea it's great, Roger was the one to look out for though, twisted little fucker! Screw piggy, he was lame, Simon was the real victim here sad.gif

#106 Guest_Ali_*

Guest_Ali_*

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

*Sigh*

- The Social and Religious Designs of J. S. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos
- The Second Vienna School: Expressionism and Dodecaphony

They're even less fun than they sound.

#107 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Just Another User @ Aug 24 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wooo lord of the flies is a classic! piggy got what was coming to him devil.gif

sad.gif piggy

#108 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:25 AM

How did this thread die?

*casts Raise III*

udR6h8G.gif

Hit me up with some good recommendation guys.
What all are you into at the moment?

Anything interesting from school? Little light fiction to take your mind off crap in the real world? Latest comic/graphic novel/manga?

"Someone" loaned me a copy of Patricia Briggs' "Dead Heat" a few weeks ago. 
Oddly enough it was the fourth book (and latest) in the Alpha & Omega series (which is, arguably, has the best stories about werewolves). Thankfully it's pretty easy to jump into from any number, but I loved Dead Heat so much I had to read the rest: "Cry Wolf", "Hunting Ground", and a 1/7th of the way through "Fair Game". So far Hunting Ground is my favorite. Going to have to hunt down a copy of "On The Prowl" - it's a collection of stories by different authors + a prequel story by Briggs herself. lol probably the only series I've been able to not read in order and hopefully will never have to do again.  :lol2:

s9i7Wiv.jpg

After that have her Mercy Thompson series lined up from the local library: "Moon Called" and "Blood Bound" to start with. Both series share the same universe so super excited about this set of books. Plus this is also "someone's" favorite series so looking forward to find out why.

o1TpfDC.jpg

Not sure what I'll pursue next. Briggs has some other series that might or might not share the same universe, but she's easily one of my favorite writers now so I'm sure to check them out. Definitely looking forward to seeing what y'all are into though in hopes of piquing my interests even more.

Moon Called

Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...

Cry Wolf

Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer—and son—of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life.

Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna's inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf—a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack.

Edit: Wth??? I could have swore there was a book thread more recent than 2008?!?  :S

*grumble grumble* stupid Google search results...

Edited by Alexiel, 12 November 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#109 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

I'm redeading A Series Of Unfortunate Events. I started book 13 yesterday!

#110 JinxProof

JinxProof
  • 143 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:56 PM

The Wicked & The Divine <3

#111 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

How did this thread die?

*casts Raise III*

udR6h8G.gif

Hit me up with some good recommendation guys.
What all are you into at the moment?

Anything interesting from school? Little light fiction to take your mind off crap in the real world? Latest comic/graphic novel/manga?

"Someone" loaned me a copy of Patricia Briggs' "Dead Heat" a few weeks ago. 
Oddly enough it was the fourth book (and latest) in the Alpha & Omega series (which is, arguably, has the best stories about werewolves). Thankfully it's pretty easy to jump into from any number, but I loved Dead Heat so much I had to read the rest: "Cry Wolf", "Hunting Ground", and a 1/7th of the way through "Fair Game". So far Hunting Ground is my favorite. Going to have to hunt down a copy of "On The Prowl" - it's a collection of stories by different authors + a prequel story by Briggs herself. lol probably the only series I've been able to not read in order and hopefully will never have to do again.  :lol2:

s9i7Wiv.jpg

After that have her Mercy Thompson series lined up from the local library: "Moon Called" and "Blood Bound" to start with. Both series share the same universe so super excited about this set of books. Plus this is also "someone's" favorite series so looking forward to find out why.

o1TpfDC.jpg

Not sure what I'll pursue next. Briggs has some other series that might or might not share the same universe, but she's easily one of my favorite writers now so I'm sure to check them out. Definitely looking forward to seeing what y'all are into though in hopes of piquing my interests even more.

Moon Called

Cry Wolf

Edit: Wth??? I could have swore there was a book thread more recent than 2008?!?  :S

*grumble grumble* stupid Google search results...

#112 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:12 PM

How did this thread die?
*casts Raise III*
udR6h8G.gif

You got an upvote for the 8 bit sprite and the final fantasy reference. I can't say as much for your werewolf preference...

Right now I'm reading Gulliver's Travels because it's good satire and I'm boning up.

Also Akira.
478765-akira_super.jpg

I'm on volume three of the graphic novel.

Last book I finished was Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Well worth it if you're a fan of Animal Farm or 1984, his other big works. Homage is a real world example of the kinds of fuckup you see in the two fictional accounts.

#113 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:38 AM

So I haven't read a book in a very long time, mainly because I can't read long things. I remember being given the highway code to read for my theory test, tried to read through it, said yeah that's not happening, gave up and winged the test but luckly still passed :p I tried getting into a couple books recently but every time it's a whole process where i'll read a couple paragraphs, get distracted or look up around the room, go back to reading, forget where I was or even what I just read, start from the top of the page again, rinse and repeat. Yeah I know i'm retarded.

But I really want to get into The Conqueror Series and I have done for a long time because I love history shit, and especially interested in the whole Genghis Khan, Mongolian Empire type stuff. My question is does anyone here use audio books? I can't read but i'm perfect at listening, so if I was to pick this up where would I go for that? Is it immersive or is it just some old dude with a raspy voice talking into my ear for hours? More importantly does this old dude have a strong American accent? Because I don't think I can listen to that for more than an hour... no offence :p

#114 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:56 AM

Use this thread instead, you barbarians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users