Photo

[Guide] How to Download Neopets Flash Games

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bookie

Bookie
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

Downloading Neopets .SWF Files (Flash Games)

Why:
After downloading a flash game you have the ability to open it up and view its contents with a program like Action Script Viewer or SWF Decompiler. From there, you can either view the game's action script to find cheat values for Artmoney, or you can extract images from the game for use in a guide, an image, or whatever. It's also sometimes cool to see how the game is made.

Using Internet Explorer 7:
(The easiest method.)

1. Open the game that you wish to download, and leave it running in the background.

2. Go to the following location using My Computer:
Local Disk C: -> Documents and Settings -> YOUR_FOLDER -> Local Settings -> Temporary Internet Files

For YOUR_FOLDER look for a folder bearing the name of the user you are currently logged in as. If you can't find your Local Settings folder it means you have hidden files and folders viewing turned off. To turn it on, go to Tools - Folder Options, then click the View tab, then click the radio button where it says "Show hidden files and folders" so that you can see your Local Settings folder.

3. In the Temporary Internet Files folder, click on any of the files or folders and then hit the "g" key on your keyboard repeatedly until you get to a file that looks something like this:
g772_v24_14240.swf
Depending on what game you are getting the numbers will be a bit different, that's the file name for Dubloon Disaster.

4. Copy and paste that file wherever you want it, and it's your's! You can then exit out of the game.

Using Mozilla Firefox 3:
(Slightly harder, but useful for Firefox users.)

1. Open up the game you wish to download in a pop-up window.

2. Copy the long URL from the top of the game window. The beginning of the URL will look something like this:
http://www.neopets.com/games/play_flash.phtml?va=&game_id=

3. Paste the whole URL into Notepad or Textedit.

4. This method is kind of odd... I sort of just made it up myself and I'm sure there is a better way, but whatever. The easiest way to download a link is to right click on one and do "save target as" or "save link as". But since this link is hidden, we'll make it into a link ourselves. The code for putting a URL into a link is:
HTML
<a href="URL_GOES_HERE">Link</a>

Then click save as, and change the file type from .txt to .htm.

5. Open up your newly created page and download the link.

6. Open up the file (which should be called play_flash.phtml) and search for 'g', 'g. This will bring you to game ID and version of the game.

Yes, this whole process was really only to find out what version the game is currently at. If there's a better way, feel free to tell me! It should have only taken you a few seconds to do this though.

7. Take the game ID and version you've found (for Extreme Potato Counter it is g226_v29) and paste it into the URL below where shown in Notepad or Textedit:
http://images.neopets.com/games/PASTE_HERE.swf

8. Now, like you did before, make the URL into an HTML link, save the TXT file as a HTM file, open it up, and you can download the flash game! You'll find that the majority of the flash games are actually really small in size, meaning about ~1 MB or less.

If you have any additional questions or corrections, please tell me biggrin.gif . Also feel free to make suggestions for other guides.

Edited by Bookie, 25 July 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#2 J03

J03
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:41 AM

I think you meant to make it "How To Download Neopets Flash Games" but you used Guides instead of Games tongue.gif

#3 Bookie

Bookie
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hmmm... Crap
I guess I messed up on the title because everything ELSE was copied from Notepad -_-

Edited by Bookie, 25 July 2008 - 02:20 PM.

#4 hahanottelling

hahanottelling
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

Anyone know where to find the folder in Vista?

#5 Bookie

Bookie
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

If Window's Vista has a search, just search for "Temporary Internet Files" and that should locate the folder for you.

#6 hungryhippo

hungryhippo
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

nice guide smile.gif

#7 HateNeo

HateNeo
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:33 AM

there is a swf downloader but i lost the link

i taught this was it but not,nvm

#8 GrenadeApple

GrenadeApple
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:57 AM

Wow, never knew you coulddownload games. x3

#9 madelined

madelined
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

Isn't artmoney or any of those like near an instant freeze now?

i used to use that program alot but stopped since SS seems safer.

#10 Bookie

Bookie
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

Where did you hear this? :x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)