• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#76 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (Amour @ Feb 22 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might I remind you that I was just a girl when the infidels came to my village in their apache helicopters and mirage jets, waving their white and blue flags. The infidels fired at the oil fields and they lit up like the eyes of Allah. Burning oil rained down from the sky and cooked everything it touched. I could only hide myself and cry as my goats were consumed by the fiery black liquid death. In the midst of the chaos, I could swear that I heard my goats screaming for help. As quickly as they had come, the infidels were gone. It was on that day I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better get me banned now, because I'll put a jihad on you, too.

/facepalm

Stop quoting Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

i hope that cristian dude has a heart attack

#78 Amour

Amour
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

No offense but, you sound like a huge Jew lover to me. Be honest, do you love the Jews? Happy Hanukkah Jew lover.

#79 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

I am a Christian and I belive in God. Why? Because it's what I belive.

I have a question. When did science cross over into the realm of faith? I thought science was about proven laws such as gravity, rather than speculation such as evolution or the big bang?

As far as the crusades just because they were Christian doesn't mean they were right. Christians are still human.

#80 Amour

Amour
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Gargar @ Feb 22 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a question. When did science cross over into the realm of faith? I thought science was about proven laws such as gravity, rather than speculation such as evolution or the big bang?

As far as the crusades just because they were Christian doesn't mean they were right. Christians are still human.

I never said that the crusades were good or anything. Just pointing out the irony of religion and the massive amount of suffering it's caused.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (ericcc! @ Feb 22 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i hope that cristian dude has a heart attack

#82 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Amour @ Feb 22 2009, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never said that the crusades were good or anything. Just pointing out the irony of religion and the massive amount of suffering it's caused.

I see your point. Ironic? maybe. If you REALLY belive in your religon then you should be willing to die for it. It's just a shame that so many people were twisted and killed in the name of their religon.

#83 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Eric - stop being a jerk. We already know your e-penis is huge.

Thank you, Amour, even though I do not celebrate the holiday and it's quite late/early. Do enjoy the suspension. I hope that you calm down a little and realize that we have rules at codex and they're especially strict in the debate section.

#84 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Gargar @ Feb 22 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's how science works, it takes progress, you start out with a hypothesis and then you get theories and so on. If science had been like faith, the scientific method wouldn't exist, science wouldn't need evidence. Sure, there's probably faith involved as you get into the more complicated areas of science, but it's not unfounded faith, and it's not faith that cannot be extinguished.

Edited by Alex, 22 February 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#85 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

This thread pleases my need for lulz.

#86 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 23 2009, 04:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
because they have no experience with what they are talking about tongue.gif

Experience doesn't necessarily mean informed.

I have not done heroin, yet I know it can kill.

It's funny, politics has killed more people indirectly than religion yet where would we be without it?

#87 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Feb 23 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's funny, politics has killed more people indirectly than religion yet where would we be without it?

Exactly. Honestly, I think in a lot of those wars religion was an EXCUSE to take over countries. If religion didn't exist they'd try some other excuse.

#88 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Feb 23 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. Honestly, I think in a lot of those wars religion was an EXCUSE to take over countries. If religion didn't exist they'd try some other excuse.

Equally, though, religion is the easiest way to inspire people to fight for a cause, whether that cause really is religion or not, doesn't really matter.

#89 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

Again, not religions fault, but more the easy led.

#90 Amour

Amour
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Religion and politics go hand in hand. Religion was made back when people didn't understand science and used it to explain everything. Now that science is beginning to explain most of life's mysteries, people are starting to see that religion is not what it used to be. But I don't think we'll ever evolve enough to be without religion, as most people hold comfort that their lives aren't for nothing and that when they die it won't be the end.

Plus, as previously discussed, religion is a great motivation to do many things. Like wars! And kill innocent people in creative ways. Plus it inspires people to do 'good' things.

#91 Amour

Amour
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 23 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would advise taking a philosophy course at your local college if you honestly believe religion was "invented" to explain natural phenomenon not yet understood by ancient peoples.

Philosophy is just philosophy.

#92 Amour

Amour
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 23 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad your understanding is so deep.

Thanks.

#93 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 23 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would advise taking a philosophy course at your local college if you honestly believe religion was "invented" to explain natural phenomenon not yet understood by ancient peoples.

Surely that was one of the reasons?

#94 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

Opium of the masses

#95 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 23 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course tongue.gif However that is certainly not the one reason.

One reason defined by which philosophers because Utilitarian beliefs on the subject are MUCH different than Kantian and so on and so forth. Ultilitarian (well more what Marx believed) was that Christianity was useful as it forbids the same things that our laws forbid. So are you stating religion starts as a law enforcing system or rather in some cases an enforcement to do good and function as a society? Or is it more Kantian in the sense that it creates a duty?

...oh god. I'm really getting off subject aren't I? (By the way I haven't taken any courses so my information may be wrong. I have only done personal study)

#96 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

I don't know.

#97 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 23 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're going to have to phrase that again tongue.gif I'm a tad bit lost in what you're asking.

Sorry. I babble.

I'm asking whose philosophy you're going off of. I think you might be talking about Utilitarianism which has the idea of religion being used as a reason to enforce laws and to make it easier for a civilization to exist.

I think a lot of the really weird Jewish laws were created for that purpose (if we are to assume that those rules were not dictated directly by God which I do not believe they were but by priests instead). Why shouldn't you eat pork? Pork needs to be prepared very carefully and needs to be ensured that it won't be underdone for safe consumption. Shellfish are just as if not more dangerous. Make it a part of the religion if you want to protect your people from getting sick.

#98 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Feb 24 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Opium of the masses

*Opiate tongue.gif

#99 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Feb 24 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Opiate tongue.gif

I'm not quoting Marx.

#100 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 23 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My view on the Jewish laws is one shared by many theologians. I believe that the laws were created by God to set the Israelites apart from the other pagans of the land. God was very strict on the laws because they were what set His people apart from the other people that shared the same land. I believe that the Bible is all one big picture of Jesus Christ. God started with the Israelites as His people, brought them up under His law, and created the nation of Jews. From this nation came Jesus (from the line of David) who in turn lived His life and died on the cross for our sins. Immediately afterward the law setup by God is abolished because no longer did the Israelites need to be set apart from the people of the land. In fact God encouraged them to mingle with the Gentiles and shows this several times in the book of Acts.

Do you interpret any parts of the bible metaphorically? If so how do you decide what to interprety metaphorically and what not to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users