Photo

Do you believe in god?

• Please log in to reply
1730 replies to this topic

#101 The Dirty Filipino

The Dirty Filipino
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:48 PM

I like to use modern science to rationalize my thoughts. There's just no way for me to believe in any standardized mass religion because of the time period in which those religions were created. If science can't prove something, then I can't put 100% of my belief into it. That's what keeps me away from believing in a god. Even if it can't refute the fact, it cannot prove it either.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (The Dirty Filipino @ Feb 24 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like to use modern science to rationalize my thoughts. There's just no way for me to believe in any standardized mass religion because of the time period in which those religions were created. If science can't prove something, then I can't put 100% of my belief into it. That's what keeps me away from believing in a god. Even if it can't refute the fact, it cannot prove it either.

Russell's teapot?

#103 The Dirty Filipino

The Dirty Filipino
  • 636 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

Eh, similar I suppose.

#104 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

kinda wish i was stupid enough to believe in god, i'd probably would be a better person. oh well

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 24 2009, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some parts are metaphorical, yes. How do I decide? I use my brain tongue.gif No I don't pick and choose what to interpret in what way, I just follow my head and use logic to deduce the most logical meaning from the verse that stays consistent with the rest of the passage and the Bible itself.

how is that not picking a choosing? once you've reached this logical deduction you choose whether to take the passage metaphorically or not. sounds like that's exactly what mr. hobo was talking about

#105 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 24 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of wish I was stupid enough to come down to your level and answer your question. Sorry mate sad.gif

scientific reasoning is above not below you smile.gif

#106 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Josh @ Feb 24 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That of course would require knowing me before asserting such a statement smile.gif

Anyways, don't be offended if I ignore you but you've already proven your a waste of time trying to debate with. Back to PokerStars.

i don't need to know you, if you consider the old/new testament to be the most logical explanation then that assertion is made for me. anyways how can you even debate the belief of god? you either believe in god or not, there's not one lick of evidence to even constitute a logical debate.

it's fine if you dodge the question, it was rhetorical tongue.gif

Edited by nox, 03 March 2009 - 09:22 PM.

#107 Taylors1367

Taylors1367
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

I fully believe.

#108 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

I believe in God, life RANDOMLY appearing out of nowhere from some explosion is complete bullcrap. Another point is that our bodies being 'designed' if you will to stop working a certain way or to change to protect ourselves is no sign of a freak accident...There has to be a higher being that created us tongue.gif

#109 The Dirty Filipino

The Dirty Filipino
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (xTak @ Mar 2 2009, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe in God, life RANDOMLY appearing out of nowhere from some explosion is complete bullcrap. Another point is that our bodies being 'designed' if you will to stop working a certain way or to change to protect ourselves is no sign of a freak accident...There has to be a higher being that created us tongue.gif

There doesn't have to be a higher being.

And no, life didn't randomly appear out of no where. Get your facts straight before you try to argue your nonsense on my board.

#110 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (The Dirty Filipino @ Mar 2 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And no, life didn't randomly appear out of no where. Get your facts straight before you try to argue your nonsense on my board.

Why so hostile? I like how you called them facts also.

#111 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (The Dirty Filipino @ Mar 2 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not your board. It's mine and I say he can spout out as much nonsense as he wants angry.gif

#112 The Dirty Filipino

The Dirty Filipino
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Mar 2 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not your board. It's mine and I say he can spout out as much nonsense as he wants angry.gif

Women shouldn't be allowed to own anything.

QUOTE (Gargar @ Mar 2 2009, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why so hostile? I like how you called them facts also.

No hostility.

And yea, I loled after I said facts too.

#113 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (The Dirty Filipino @ Mar 2 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Women shouldn't be allowed to own anything.

I own yo momma

#114 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Well what I meant by there 'has' to be some higher being I meant like...'someone' had to have created us. I was raised as a lutheran but I just kinda put my own twists on things smile.gif

#115 The Dirty Filipino

The Dirty Filipino
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (xTak @ Mar 2 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well what I meant by there 'has' to be some higher being I meant like...'someone' had to have created us. I was raised as a lutheran but I just kinda put my own twists on things smile.gif

I understand what you meant. I'm simply asking why there had to be a deity to create humans. Do you have any fact that you can cite to back up the claim? Or is it an opinion ignoring any evidence but what suits your own?

I was baptised lutheran, but that doesn't mean I have to believe everything I'm taught.

#116 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (xTak @ Mar 2 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you put your own "twist" on it? Either you belive it all or you don't....

QUOTE (The Dirty Filipino @ Mar 2 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand what you meant. I'm simply asking why there had to be a deity to create humans. Do you have any fact that you can cite to back up the claim? Or is it an opinion ignoring any evidence but what suits your own?

I was baptised lutheran, but that doesn't mean I have to believe everything I'm taught.

Personally I believe that the human body alone is FAR too complex to have just sorta happened. Also Darwin's theory has so many holes in it today it boggles my mind how many people still believe it and just try to hide the holes.

#117 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Gargar @ Mar 3 2009, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you put your own "twist" on it? Either you belive it all or you don't....

Nonsense. The Bible is a media text, protsituted over the centuries so one has to decide which makes sense and which doesn't.

I don't believe that Noah live to 400 years old but I do believe in " Thou shalt not steal"

#118 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

What I mean is like, I don't think you have to be a PERFECT being (which is physicaly and mentally impossible anyway) to get to 'heaven'. I don't believe that you have to follow all the 10 commandments to get to heaven. I believe that I have to believe that jesus saved me from my sins and I can go to heaven. Religon isnt a "Believe this way, if not do you" kind of a thing.

And exactly what frizzle said, I don't believe some of that crap such as noah living for hundreds of years...Just because I don't believe in everything doesnt mean I cannot believe.

Edited by xTak, 03 March 2009 - 01:59 PM.

#119 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Mar 3 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nonsense. The Bible is a media text, protsituted over the centuries so one has to decide which makes sense and which doesn't.

I don't believe that Noah live to 400 years old but I do believe in " Thou shalt not steal"

Why do you believe you shouldn't steal?

#120 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

QUOTE (Gargar @ Mar 3 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also Darwin's theory has so many holes in it today [snip]

Name one.

#121 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (xTak @ Mar 3 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What I mean is like, I don't think you have to be a PERFECT being (which is physicaly and mentally impossible anyway) to get to 'heaven'. I don't believe that you have to follow all the 10 commandments to get to heaven. I believe that I have to believe that jesus saved me from my sins and I can go to heaven. Religon isnt a "Believe this way, if not do you" kind of a thing.

No one ever said we had to be perfect, we are all sinful. But you still need to be truly sorry for your sins otherwise you think you're not sinning, thus making you "perfect" in your own mind.

#122 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Gargar @ Mar 3 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one ever said we had to be perfect, we are all sinful. But you still need to be truly sorry for your sins otherwise you think you're not sinning, thus making you "perfect" in your own mind.

I agree with that. But we cant be perfect and the bible says somewhere along the lines of "Be perfect for I (God) am perfect" and thats impossible

#123 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Sunscorch @ Mar 3 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Name one.

Ok Darwin's finches, everyone knows that their beak "evolved" based on the needs of the bird at that time but did you know that the beaks all eventually changed back to their original shape and size later in the year?

Why have we NEVER seen a beneficial mutation since Darwin introduced is theory?

If evolution is true then shouldn't there be billions of dead animals rather than few we do find?

If monkeys evolved into humans why are there still monkeys around today? And where are all of the supposed in-between steps?

How could we have gradually evolved? Take a look at blood clotting. If you take ANY part or step out of the very complicated process of blood clotting then blood wouldn't clot and everyone would eventually bleed to death.

#124 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Gargar @ Mar 3 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok Darwin's finches, everyone knows that their beak "evolved" based on the needs of the bird at that time but did you know that the beaks all eventually changed back to their original shape and size later in the year?

Why have we NEVER seen a beneficial mutation since Darwin introduced is theory?

If evolution is true then shouldn't there be billions of dead animals rather than few we do find?

If monkeys evolved into humans why are there still monkeys around today? And where are all of the supposed in-between steps?

How could we have gradually evolved? Take a look at blood clotting. If you take ANY part or step out of the very complicated process of blood clotting then blood wouldn't clot and everyone would eventually bleed to death.

Well said ohmy.gif..
Thats everything I would have say if I responded on that topic.

#125 Gargar

Gargar
  • 4901 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (xTak @ Mar 3 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with that. But we cant be perfect and the bible says somewhere along the lines of "Be perfect for I (God) am perfect" and thats impossible

I think you misunderstood what ever verse you're referring to.
God knows that we are far from perfect that's why he sent his son to die for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users