• Please log in to reply
1743 replies to this topic

#1726 Romy

Romy
  • Ableist Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4,747 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

Because I believe the physical and emotional connection that sex brings should only belong to those committed to love each other forever. There's still a good amount of people that don't have sex before marriage, regardless of religion.

Am I obligated to adhere to this rule because you personally believe it?

Am I forced to believe that you believe?

Who died and left you in charge?

#1727 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

Am I obligated to adhere to this rule because you personally believe it?

Am I forced to believe that you believe?

Who died and left you in charge?

My intention was never to impose my beliefs on anyone. I was simply pointing out a another view that you may not have considered in this debate. Apologies if you construed my opinion as condescending.

#1728 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

I have NO idea what its about, and i probably will never know what its about. 

But dude, I told you what it's about. I told you exactly what it says, and you... ignored it? I don't know. You tell me. 

Pascal's Wager is what you stated earlier: "Wouldn't it make more sense to live as though the God of the Bible does exist?"

The fact that you think its a fairy tale rule to not have premarital sex says a lot about you

I'll choose to ignore this blatant ad hominem and instead counter with a challenge: I dare you to have 0 sex -- no "2nd base", no "3rd base"; only kissing -- until you're married.

If you're not married to that person, the only thing you're allowed to do is kiss them.

It's a very tough challenge, and not one that *anyone* should want to complete. Would you buy a car without test driving it? No? Then why would you say "I want to be with this person forever" (but let's be real here, "forever" means <10 years; until you're divorced) yet have no idea what how well they "drive"?

#1729 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

I'll choose to ignore this blatant ad hominem and instead counter with a challenge: I dare you to have 0 sex -- no "2nd base", no "3rd base"; only kissing -- until you're married.
If you're not married to that person, the only thing you're allowed to do is kiss them.
It's a very tough challenge, and not one that *anyone* should want to complete. Would you buy a car without test driving it? No? Then why would you say "I want to be with this person forever" (but let's be real here, "forever" means <10 years; until you're divorced) yet have no idea what how well they "drive"?

Funny enough, this "challenge" is what I plan to carry out in my life. Sure it won't be easy but I believe in a particular principle about sex that I have stated earlier in this thread.

Edited by nitro, 18 September 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#1730 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Funny enough, this "challenge" is what I plan to carry out in my life. Sure it won't be easy but I believe in a particular principle about sex that I have stated earlier in this thread.

Well, then more power to you (and good luck)

For the record, I (personally) don't believe that sex should be thrown around to every crush you may have as I've seen some college students do*, but I also think that to be completely unable to be sexually intimate with someone whom you love, unless you're married to them, is too great a request, and is certainly the cause of a few divorces; the marriage was only so they could finally have sex, and sex changes things.

*no judging, that's what they choose to do. I personally wish that I could just have sex with people, but I need to be pretty emotionally invested in order to do so

#1731 Eagles

Eagles
  • 436 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'm not here to convince anyone that God exists. The topic is not "does god exist". It just says if i believe in God. There is absolutely nothing you could say to me that would ever change my opinion on the Lord. I wish all of you luck in your religion/lack of religion. Remember, if you are ever struggling, the Lord will be there for you. No matter what prior sins you have committed. 

#1732 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1,097 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm not here to convince anyone that God exists. The topic is not "does god exist". It just says if i believe in God. There is absolutely nothing you could say to me that would ever change my opinion on the Lord. I wish all of you luck in your religion/lack of religion. Remember, if you are ever struggling, the Lord will be there for you. No matter what prior sins you have committed.

The debate section is for discussion, not for mindless proselytising. If you are unable, or unwilling, to make actual responses to the posts of others, by engaging with their arguments, then simply leave the thread.

#1733 Eagles

Eagles
  • 436 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

You post and say that i am proselytizing.. when i just said i am doing EXACTLY opposite that. I clearly said i am not trying to change anyone's views. and lol chill out. Why so serious?

#1734 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3,191 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

Because I believe the physical and emotional connection that sex brings should only belong to those committed to love each other forever. There's still a good amount of people that don't have sex before marriage, regardless of religion.

But you're using a religious institution to force yourself to be with that person 'forever'. If you're not religious then what's the difference between married and sitting down with your significant other and deciding to be together forever? Because marriage comes with divorce and the other person is a lot more tied down? Also let me tell you right now that being married does not ensure you will love each other forever. :p

Also I do realize that some people see marriage as a gesture or as an appreciation to the other person, and it's all good and well to declare your love but using marriage as a way to ensure the other person doesn't leave you and as a green light to lose your virginity .. I don't know about that.

Ivysaur used the word 'allowed'. I think he's saying that he disagrees with how religion disallows you to have sex before marriage. I don't think he's saying that he's disagreeing with someone's personal choice and morals when it comes to when they will have sex.

#1735 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

But you're using a religious institution to force yourself to be with that person 'forever'. If you're not religious then what's the difference between married and sitting down with your significant other and deciding to be together forever? Because marriage comes with divorce and the other person is a lot more tied down? Also let me tell you right now that being married does not ensure you will love each other forever. :p

Also I do realize that some people see marriage as a gesture or as an appreciation to the other person, and it's all good and well to declare your love but using marriage as a way to ensure the other person doesn't leave you and as a green light to lose your virginity .. I don't know about that.

Ivysaur used the word 'allowed'. I think he's saying that he disagrees with how religion disallows you to have sex before marriage. I don't think he's saying that he's disagreeing with someone's personal choice and morals when it comes to when they will have sex.

Religion should NEVER be used to force someone to do something IMO. I choose to be chaste because I believe in the principle. It happens that my religion agrees with me :p

I don't think that marriage should be a green light to lose virginity either. Rather, you should have sex when you are prepared to do so, and I believe that people are ready after they are willing to love the other person forever.

#1736 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3,191 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Religion should NEVER be used to force someone to do something IMO. I choose to be chaste because I believe in the principle. It happens that my religion agrees with me :p

I don't think that marriage should be a green light to lose virginity either. Rather, you should have sex when you are prepared to do so, and I believe that people are ready after they are willing to love the other person forever.

Abstaining from sex is just fine in my books as long as a person's not doing it because they think god wanted them to wait to co-sign some man made legal agreement.

Also I have to admit that I was curious as to how old you were so I went your profile and I saw 1915 as your birth year and for a split second .. just a split second .. i thought 'oh my god he's a 99 year old virgin'. :p

#1737 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1,097 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

You post and say that i am proselytizing.. when i just said i am doing EXACTLY opposite that. I clearly said i am not trying to change anyone's views. and lol chill out. Why so serious?

You're posting non-arguments. Please don't.

#1738 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Abstaining from sex is just fine in my books as long as a person's not doing it because they think god wanted them to wait to co-sign some man made legal agreement.

Also I have to admit that I was curious as to how old you were so I went your profile and I saw 1915 as your birth year and for a split second .. just a split second .. i thought 'oh my god he's a 99 year old virgin'. :p

LOL  :lol2:

I'm in high school. Ugh.

#1739 Legitboi

Legitboi
  • 1,037 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:15 AM

i don't believe in GOD until myself got own KARMA than i am totally believe. :)

#1740 Swar

Swar
  • com muito orgulho, com muito amor <3

• 9,087 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

I don't believe in fairy tales.
"Good is a concept by which we measure our pain." -John Lennon

#1741 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1,975 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

No, but I do use the term, "Oh my god" because it is a generic staple of phrase in the English language.

#1742 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1,657 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

No, Pascal's wager describes why this is an awful idea.

Wait, I think you are misinterpreting Pascal's wager. It says that a a person who believes when there is no god will only have a finite loss, whereas a person who doesn't believe when there is will have an infinite loss.

#1743 Batori

Batori
  • 262 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

I...don't not believe? I waver between agnostic and very eclectic pagan.

#1744 masxed

masxed
  • 695 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

But dude, I told you what it's about. I told you exactly what it says, and you... ignored it? I don't know. You tell me. 

Pascal's Wager is what you stated earlier: "Wouldn't it make more sense to live as though the God of the Bible does exist?"

Good points bro!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users