Computer randomly restarting

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:37 AM

Does anyone have an diea as to what would make my computer restart itself? It happened a few minutes ago and all I did was click a link on Codex (Home) and bam.....restarted itself.

Until recently I have had troubled with a blue screen of death. I fixed that by downloading the latest updates for the mother board but now this is happening sad.gif. It's becoming a right pain in the arse when I need to leave a Neopets program running or another online game I play only to find it has closed everything down when I get home from work.

#2 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

How long is it running before it shuts down? Could be a heat issue.

#3 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Cory @ Jan 19 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long is it running before it shuts down? Could be a heat issue.

That's what I was thinking. Open your pc and clean out as much dust as you can, especially from the fans.

#4 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Jan 19 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Windows update restarts when you aren't looking sometimes...

I hate that. Or when the counter reaches 0 just as you look back.

#5 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Kitsune @ Jan 19 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Windows update restarts when you aren't looking sometimes...

That only happens once a month though. My guess would be a heat issue if it happens when the computer has been on for a while.

#6 The Dirty Filipino

The Dirty Filipino
  • 636 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Heat or a dying mobo.

Could also be a faulty PSU.

#7 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

It can happen anytime really. It has actually restarted itself during a restart.

I run Spybot everyday so I'm pretty sure it can't be a virus or something. I'll clean the fan tomorrow and see if that helps. It has been a while since I last did it actually.

#8 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Run everest and post your system temperatures.

http://majorgeeks.co...wnload4181.html

#9 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

CPU - 28/29 C
GPU - 46 C
Seagate ST3320620A6 - 37 C

#10 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Looks a little high but not even close to overheating.

#11 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:28 AM

Last night I removed a program that I installed recently for my Mobile and this morning I woke up to find it had not restarted itself. I think if it is still ok when I get home tonight then I may have found the problem.

Is it possible for a program to make a computer react like that? I mean if it was a third party thing I could understand it possibly happening due to a virus or something....but I got the program with the phone tongue.gif.

#12 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Hobo @ Jan 19 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not high...at all. That's really cool.

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jan 20 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last night I removed a program that I installed recently for my Mobile and this morning I woke up to find it had not restarted itself. I think if it is still ok when I get home tonight then I may have found the problem.

Is it possible for a program to make a computer react like that? I mean if it was a third party thing I could understand it possibly happening due to a virus or something....but I got the program with the phone tongue.gif.

It could have just been an incomparability with that software and some of your hardware, or with another piece of software you're running. I'm assuming that phone software was designated to run on boot up? I bet if you removed it from the boot sequence and just ran it when you needed it then it'd fix the problem.

#13 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (Cory @ Jan 20 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not high...at all. That's really cool.

It could have just been an incomparability with that software and some of your hardware, or with another piece of software you're running. I'm assuming that phone software was designated to run on boot up? I bet if you removed it from the boot sequence and just ran it when you needed it then it'd fix the problem.

So just turn it off in msconfig > start up?

#14 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jan 20 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So just turn it off in msconfig > start up?

Yah.

#15 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

I'll try that when I get home then. Cheers guys thumbsup.gif

#16 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (23 Flavors @ Jan 19 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could also be a faulty PSU.

That was my first thought...

#17 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:15 AM

Just got my computer back from the repair shop. Had to take it in because it would not even start windows. It was restarting every few seconds in the end.

The weird thing is that it apparantly did not restart once for the repair guy...yet it is working fine now. He thinks it could be my hard drive that is heading for the grave.

#18 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jan 21 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got my computer back from the repair shop. Had to take it in because it would not even start windows. It was restarting every few seconds in the end.

The weird thing is that it apparantly did not restart once for the repair guy...yet it is working fine now. He thinks it could be my hard drive that is heading for the grave.

Sounds even more like overheating now. If it was constantly restarting for you it was probably because it was already hot. By the time you got it to him it would have cooled down. Mine used to do the same thing, restart once, then again, then eventually every 2 seconds. Open your case, check all of your fans and airways for dust and clean it all out. Also, double to check your PSU is sending the correct voltage across individual rails that your graphics card needs.

#19 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

Test your harddrive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287\

Maybe run prime 95/ati tool to stress test your video card/cpu and monitor the temperatures. And memtest

#20 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

Had to take it back to the repair guy. As soon as I tried to put a CD/DVD in in began restarting itself again. Turns out there was a problem with the power supply so hopefully everything will be ok when I give it a try tonight.

I just hope the repair guy hasn't removed any of the upgrades I had inside the computer. Should have taken note of exactly what was in there.

#21 Faintingcow

Faintingcow
  • Uncle Fancypants

• 199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

Dude you really just rush back to that repair guy eh?

#22 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (faints @ Jan 22 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude you really just rush back to that repair guy eh?

....yeah I thought it would be a good idea considering I didn't know what was wrong with it and needed it back asap.

#23 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Hobo @ Jan 20 2009, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

supercool, actually

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jan 20 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes

incompatibility can occur with the mobo / etc

certain programs can access different parts of the CPU and motherboard and make it work in different ways

seeing as it was a mobile phone app, it was probrabl a driver compatibility issue

#24 The Dirty Filipino

The Dirty Filipino
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Oaken @ Jan 22 2009, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Turns out there was a problem with the power supply

I win

#25 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Jan 22 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
supercool, actually

yes

incompatibility can occur with the mobo / etc

certain programs can access different parts of the CPU and motherboard and make it work in different ways

seeing as it was a mobile phone app, it was probrabl a driver compatibility issue

Well high compared to my unoverclocked idle temps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users