Photo

Gay Marriage

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#126 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

I don't get why people are against it so bad, but whatever, we in the netherlands are quite tolerant to like.. everything, infact, one of my best friends is transexual, but that doesnt mean hes not a nice dude to chat with :p

#127 TheNovakGirl

TheNovakGirl
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

It's a choice, and the same one people make when they choose their life partners.

I'd disagree that it's a choice - it's simply a part of you, and if it was a choice then all those gay people who were kicked out by their families (for example) could just 'choose' not to be gay anymore. You just are. I'm attracted to women and I didn't just go out one day, tapped a finger to my chin while watching all the hot chicks around me and then proclaimed to the world, "hey now! Girls muchos better then men, imma gonna be a lesbo chick from now on!". I simply somehow (wasn't a choice, really Dx) fell in love with a person of the same gender than me and that was it. :)

As for gay marriages - from what I said above, you bet I'm for them. We've been fighting for gay marriage for years here in Slovenia, and for the last three years, we've had a 'same-sex relationship registration' law instead of equal rights with the straight couples - which is still more than in most countries, I guess - but it makes you feel like you're going to register your car if you do it, not bind yourself to your love. Plus the law doesn't say anything about kids, which just plainly sucks.

But we might be getting a gay marriage law very soon. :drool: It took many years and a lot of received shit on our part and countless open debates and Pride parades and gay-beatings-in-the-news and masked people who came to our bars with torches and stones and whatnot, but things are moving at last and and and... Yay :D. It just makes me happy and kind of proud because we all contributed a little part of ourselves for this to-be law.

#128 sealonfire

sealonfire
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:20 PM

I think legalising gay marriage is just a matter of time. The younger generation is generally more accepting.

But the media and religion are still trying to potray gay marriage as an evil thing. Or being gay is a sin. That said it is really common to find statistics on gays having higher HIV rates.

#129 Kyuu

Kyuu
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

That said it is really common to find statistics on gays having higher HIV rates.

...I don't understand how this is relevant to anything. HIV prevention is an all-together different issue. Are you saying that if you let gay people get married, then suddenly everyone is more likely to get HIV?

Yeah, I totally see your point.

#130 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:31 AM

Oh my, looks like I'm the only person on the forum against gay marriage O_o, I'll tone it down to prevent my balls from getting ripped off. Posted Image

Now let me start out by saying that I'm not a homophobe, nor are any actions I make prejudiced towards gays. I'm happy to sit next to a gay on a bus for a school excursion.

But I don't think they should be allowed to marry. I'm not religious or anything, but surely we can all agree that being gay is incompatible with the essential aim of every species on Earth, to reproduce. Forget finding the meaning of life, Mother Nature wants us to make a shitload of babies.

Now let's face it, in the past a marriage was essentially a more civil term for a license to have babies, why should we change that? I'm all for gay and lesbian couples being treated equally by the Government when it comes to things like taxation and healthcare.

Surely gay couples can find a way to profess their undying love for each other publicly without breaking a sacred institution which has been with mankind since before recorded history.

And if we grant gays the right to marry, what's next, the right to adopt children? I grew up without a father, and I can tell you now, it was tough. Hearing all the other kids talk about what they did with their fathers on the weekends and stuff always broke my heart, and still every Father's Day while everyone else is giving their dads bed in breakfast and telling them how much they love them, I cry. Imagine how tough it would be for children growing up with two dads or mums, imagine how much they would be bullied?

I reckon gays and straights can live together in harmony... But leave marriage alone.

#131 Neopian

Neopian
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:47 AM

But I don't think they should be allowed to marry. I'm not religious or anything, but surely we can all agree that being gay is incompatible with the essential aim of every species on Earth, to reproduce. Forget finding the meaning of life, Mother Nature wants us to make a shitload of babies.

Now let's face it, in the past a marriage was essentially a more civil term for a license to have babies, why should we change that? I'm all for gay and lesbian couples being treated equally by the Government when it comes to things like taxation and healthcare.

I get so angry reading this. Now I am a happily married BI-sexual woman with two kids, so I have no gain in commenting on this but.....

- Sure Mother Nature intended us (and every other species on the planet) to reproduce, but she didn't invent marriage now did she......No we did
- Sure in the past marriage was a legit way of having babies, but nowadays, not so much anymore

But what ticks me off the most is this comment:

And if we grant gays the right to marry, what's next, the right to adopt children?

Yes, yes, yes. For I reckon it is better to grow up in a loving family with two dads/moms, then it is to grow up in a violent family, where you have your dad, or mom for that matter, slap you around like you were a boxing ball.
I feel for you, not knowing your dad and missing him, but I still think a gay couple can bring up a child just as good as a straight couple.

Lucky for me I live in The Netherlands, where both marriage and adoption by gays are legal, but I feel for all gays out there who still have to fight for their human rights.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Edited by Neopian, 06 November 2009 - 03:49 AM.

#132 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:52 AM

Now now guys, keep this civil - you can be civil and debate at the same time, make sure you respect other people's opinions.
I don't want to see any grudges or issues being formed.

#133 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:12 AM

I get so angry reading this. Now I am a happily married BI-sexual woman with two kids, so I have no gain in commenting on this but.....

Angry is good, isn't that the point of a debate?

Yes, yes, yes. For I reckon it is better to grow up in a loving family with two dads/moms, then it is to grow up in a violent family, where you have your dad, or mom for that matter, slap you around like you were a boxing ball.

Whoa, don't go man bashing, not all families/men are violent, and my mum loves me heaps, doesn't mean I still don't regret growing up without a father. Freud (The guy who invented psychoanalysis) wrote that during child development, a child grows attracted to the parent of the opposite sex, known as the electra / oedipus complex Wikipedia article. and is seen as developmentally desirable. How is a boy meant to develop this attraction to his mother if he has two dads? And moving away from that rather uncomfortable idea, I can tell you now, there were times when I was growing up when all I wanted was a father to ask questions that I wasn't comfortable talking to my mum about. (Mainly stuff about girls and sex).

How will a girl be able to get advice from her two dads when she first gets a period, in that case, the Mother's experience is something that a gay male couple simply can't replace.

Glad I let you blow off some steam.

#134 Neopian

Neopian
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:19 AM

Now now guys, keep this civil - you can be civil and debate at the same time, make sure you respect other people's opinions.

Sorry it wasn't my intention being disrespectful or anything.
And I definately don't hold a grudge or something, we just don't see eye to eye on this ;).
Hopefully we can discuss in a civil manner indeed, again I am sorry if I sounded disrespectful

Whoa, don't go man bashing, not all families/men are violent, and my mum loves me heaps, doesn't mean I still don't regret growing up without a father.

Sorry my comment was not intended towards your family, but more in general.

I can tell you now, there were times when I was growing up when all I wanted was a father to ask questions that I wasn't comfortable talking to my mum about. (Mainly stuff about girls and sex).

How will a girl be able to get advice from her two dads when she first gets a period, in that case, the Mother's experience is something that a gay male couple simply can't replace.

I can see that that takes a little improvisation ofcourse, but I am sure there are ways around that, grandparents/friends and so on.
I still think it is a good thing that gay couples can adopt. Think of all those kids (anywhere on this planet) who now don't have a home at all.

But back to the discussion on marriage. I still don't see why gays would not be allowed to marry as marriage itself is man-invented. We can change the rules whenever we want.

Edited by Neopian, 06 November 2009 - 04:22 AM.

#135 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Nick is the only gay who in my eyes has won marriage rights.
Maybe Elton John. Def not rambo, I still think he's faking.
I'm thinking a more standardized test is needed.
Obsticle course? American Gladiator style!

So wait.
Is this Dan Version2?

#136 Kyuu

Kyuu
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

Now let's face it, in the past a marriage was essentially a more civil term for a license to have babies, why should we change that?

Yes, which is why old people, people who don't want to have children, and infertile couples shouldn't be allowed to get married either.

I'm all for gay and lesbian couples being treated equally by the Government when it comes to things like taxation and healthcare.

Right, and when they get those exact same rights that married straight couples have, then it'll stop being a problem. You can't just have something "separate but equal". I think that's called "segregation". ;)

And if we grant gays the right to marry, what's next, the right to adopt children?

Wow, capable and willing people taking care of children who are uncared for who just happen to be homosexual? What an absurd, irrational and horrifyingly destructive idea! I'm sure children would much rather grow up in broken homes without any proper caregiver or attention than deal with those gay people.

And let me illustrate what happens when we substitute "racism" for "homophobia".

:)

Now let me start out by saying that I'm not a racist, nor are any actions I make prejudiced towards blacks. I'm happy to sit next to a black person on a bus for a school excursion.

That's not exactly what a racist person would say before making a racist comment.

Don't tell me you aren't homophobic when you are. Read what you write before you press enter. And no one wants your fucking pity so you can go shove it in your damn face. This is a debate, but don't be patronizing.

Edited by Kyuu, 06 November 2009 - 12:53 PM.

#137 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Oh my, looks like I'm the only person on the forum against gay marriage O_o, I'll tone it down to prevent my balls from getting ripped off. Posted Image

Now let me start out by saying that I'm not a homophobe, nor are any actions I make prejudiced towards gays. I'm happy to sit next to a gay on a bus for a school excursion.

Yep, because that's the best measure of tolerance.

Welcome to the naturalist fallacy.
Natural behaviour is not a guidebook to morality.

Now let's face it, in the past a marriage was essentially a more civil term for a license to have babies, why should we change that?

That's a lie.

I'm all for gay and lesbian couples being treated equally by the Government when it comes to things like taxation and healthcare.

O_o
But you want to label the union differently so... what? You know they're a gay couple? I would have thought the same-sex thing would have been a dead giveaway.

Surely gay couples can find a way to profess their undying love for each other publicly without breaking a sacred institution which has been with mankind since before recorded history.

Another lie. How, exactly, do you think a legally binding contract was issued before historical records were kept?
A marriage certificate is a historical record.

Besides which, the "sacred institution" has been changed innumerable times in the past. Remember when interracial couplings were forbidden? Yeah. Those were the good times.
Hell, one of my old Kings invented divorce because he was fed up with his wife.

I look forward to you justifying that one.

I grew up without a father, and I can tell you now, it was tough. Hearing all the other kids talk about what they did with their fathers on the weekends and stuff always broke my heart, and still every Father's Day while everyone else is giving their dads bed in breakfast and telling them how much they love them, I cry. Imagine how tough it would be for children growing up with two dads or mums, imagine how much they would be bullied?

Over fifty percent of American marriages end in divorce. Children of "broken homes" are the majority.
Try imagining a world were homosexual couples were relatively common, with children. Imagine how nice it would be to live in a world where bigots like yourself didn't think it appropriate to deprive others of things they want, even though there's no cost to yourself, or anyone else.

I reckon gays and straights can live together in harmony... But leave marriage alone.

I'll leave marriage alone when you can construct a properly reasoned thought process.

Side notes; I'm not gay. I am a single-parent child.

#138 sonic

sonic
  • 3452 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

Side notes; I'm not gay.

I'm gunna have to call bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgmR9D6jpQQ&feature=related

#139 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

- Sure Mother Nature intended us (and every other species on the planet) to reproduce, but she didn't invent marriage now did she......No we did

Yes, we invented it. We have the right to choose who uses it or not. Double edged sword and all that.

But what ticks me off the most is this comment:

I feel for you, not knowing your dad and missing him, but I still think a gay couple can bring up a child just as good as a straight couple.

Lucky for me I live in The Netherlands, where both marriage and adoption by gays are legal, but I feel for all gays out there who still have to fight for their human rights.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Ahh bullshit! Just because you can find one example or various sources of straight parents being cunts doesn't mean they all are; and respectively it doesn't mean it gives all gay wannabe-adoptees a green light. It proves nothing on that side of the fence.

Like some sort of union? Har har.

Angry is good, isn't that the point of a debate?

Whoa, don't go man bashing, not all families/men are violent, and my mum loves me heaps, doesn't mean I still don't regret growing up without a father. Freud (The guy who invented psychoanalysis) wrote that during child development, a child grows attracted to the parent of the opposite sex, known as the electra / oedipus complex Wikipedia article. and is seen as developmentally desirable. How is a boy meant to develop this attraction to his mother if he has two dads? And moving away from that rather uncomfortable idea, I can tell you now, there were times when I was growing up when all I wanted was a father to ask questions that I wasn't comfortable talking to my mum about. (Mainly stuff about girls and sex).

Glad I let you blow off some steam.

Never use Freud as source when citing pyschoanalytical terms, he's been highly defused by most of the scientific community. If you're going to use pyscho-babble I advise on looking up terms such as Social Learning Theory, Biological/Evolutionary approach, Cognitive behaviour and researchers such as Harlow, Kensey, Beck etc..

That's not exactly what a racist person would say before making a racist comment.

Don't tell me you aren't homophobic when you are. Read what you write before you press enter. And no one wants your fucking pity so you can go shove it in your damn face. This is a debate, but don't be patronizing.

Don't tell me when you aren't a cunt when you start assuming things. Read what you write before you assume everything and condescend on the rest us and press enter. And no one wants you to speak on the behalf of all of us as you are a no-one. Don't be patroniSing. (no z)

Side notes; I'm not gay. I am a single-parent child.

No shit, you grew up in Croydon.

#140 shadyangelz

shadyangelz
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:39 AM

I support gay marriage, i once wrote my English paper on 'why homosexuality isnt wrong, as we had to write about a controversial topic. Well, needless to say my teacher wanted to use my paper as a demonstration on the context and writing style. The majority of the class all they could hear is homosexuality, and not the literary context of the paper. They just kept saying i disagree with this paper because I don't believe in homosexuality, my religion doesn't allow me to. To me its just sad for us to "define" marriage, based on our concept and what has been passed down to us.

#141 Tarchy

Tarchy
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

I am gay and do not support gay marriage.

#142 shadyangelz

shadyangelz
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

<br />I am gay and do not support gay marriage.<br />

well thats like some straight people dont believe in marriage

#143 Kyuu

Kyuu
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

Don't tell me when you aren't a cunt when you start assuming things. Read what you write before you assume everything and condescend on the rest us and press enter. And no one wants you to speak on the behalf of all of us as you are a no-one. Don't be patroniSing. (no z)

Clearly you must have trouble getting people to pay attention your points across if you feel the need to resort to petty insults. You must want his pity then, so have fun wallowing in your self-pity. Also, unless if you want me to lecture you on why "patroniSing" is wrong, Check the dictionary before you lecture me on spelling. Not everyone abides by British grammar/spelling rules so you can kindly shut your month. By the way, my automatic spellchecker says it is patronizing. :) I'm not even going to bother with your other comments. You sure must feel like a big man on the board, and I'm sure that makes you a "someone" in real life as well.

I am gay and do not support gay marriage.

There are lots of gay people who don't want to get married. There are lots of straight people who don't want to get married either. *shrugs* I think it should be an option for people who want it to be.

Edited by Kyuu, 09 November 2009 - 10:24 AM.

#144 BellaBleu

BellaBleu
  • 501 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

There are lots of gay people who don't want to get married. There are lots of straight people who don't want to get married either. *shrugs* I think it should be an option for people who want it to be.

This just goes back to the argument that whether or not you are getting married in a gay relationship does not matter, but what does matter is the notion of the existence of this freedom to marry, which some can argue is part of basic uman rights....

#145 Winnie777

Winnie777
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

I really don't think gay marriage is a problem at all. Realistically, they are just being with the person they love. What good do we gain and what harm do we prevent by stopping gay marriage? In my opinion, nothing. Therefore, we should just leave them be. :)

#146 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

Clearly you must have trouble getting people to pay attention your points across if you feel the need to resort to petty insults. You must want his pity then, so have fun wallowing in your self-pity. Also, unless if you want me to lecture you on why "patroniSing" is wrong, Check the dictionary before you lecture me on spelling. Not everyone abides by British grammar/spelling rules so you can kindly shut your month. By the way, my automatic spellchecker says it is patronizing. :) I'm not even going to bother with your other comments. You sure must feel like a big man on the board, and I'm sure that makes you a "someone" in real life as well.

Blah blah blah. So you're not going to even acknowledge the points I made and try to patronise me again? You're just another person who uses cliche ways of trying to undermine people without backing up their arguements without any knowledge or coherience. Basically, you're stumped and don't know what to say.

btw, we invented the language, therefore we're fucking right. Stop using "American" English as our language has like.. 2000 years on your 200 year old baby form of communication.

#147 Ellcrys

Ellcrys
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

My personal opinion is that there is nothing wrong with gay marriage. Im not gay but i have a family member who is, and he is a very awesome person. I think if he finds someone that he wants to spend his life with, whether it is male or female, he should have the right to.

#148 swerving2win

swerving2win
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

Blah blah blah. So you're not going to even acknowledge the points I made and try to patronise me again? You're just another person who uses cliche ways of trying to undermine people without backing up their arguements without any knowledge or coherience. Basically, you're stumped and don't know what to say.

btw, we invented the language, therefore we're fucking right. Stop using "American" English as our language has like.. 2000 years on your 200 year old baby form of communication.

Sooo I don't really see much opposition to gay marriage, that is actually sort of nice since the last time I bothered to enter a gay marriage debate forum, it was majority against. I'm glad to see people opening up a bit.

so what's your position frizzle? I can't even figure out what you guys are going on 'bout, but I can tell where it is headed with such aggression... granted I am too lazy to read the entire thread.

#149 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

Sooo I don't really see much opposition to gay marriage, that is actually sort of nice since the last time I bothered to enter a gay marriage debate forum, it was majority against. I'm glad to see people opening up a bit.

so what's your position frizzle? I can't even figure out what you guys are going on 'bout, but I can tell where it is headed with such aggression... granted I am too lazy to read the entire thread.

If you're too lazy to read then why bother posting?

#150 wolfrevenant

wolfrevenant
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Personally, gay marriage doesn't bother me at all. So I'm all for it, if it means more freedom of choice because I believe in equal rights for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users