30 replies to this topic

#1 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hey everyone.
So you probably heard we're trying to move into some legit Neopet playing. That is way true. I am moving to that department and will be focusing on board modifications. Here is a sneak peak at some stuff:
http://www.neocodex....code=turmaculus
http://www.neocodex....t...&code=tarla
http://www.neocodex....ode=dailypuzzle
http://www.neocodex....;code=lab_guide

The NeoPost modfication is complete but the new install for IPB 3.0.0 is very tedious as it was tied into the board very much. If the upgrade takes to long I will open it up for you all to preview.

It can be found here:
http://www.neocodex....php?act=neopost

This is basically a trading post for Neopets Pets, Items, and Accounts. It is an awesome system and I am very proud of it. It was not possible without illicit. EVERY graphics you see there is all her doing! Major major props to her! And to Kitsune for finding her for me. Kitsune did push board modifications in the Thinktank and I would like to thank her as well. Without her we may never have gotten around to making this. And thank you LW. Laser Wave was a HUGE support through it all. Programming it was a major task and he helped me through ALL the bugs. And his programming opinions made a huge difference.

Turmaculus wakes up every day and the times are logged.
Tarla comes some days and some days she doesn't. You can find out here. And you can find the prediction of the next drop. You also have logs of previous drops and the prizes that went out. To help keep our logs updated you can submit the prize you got. The 1st place prize will be done but 2nd place prizes can be submitted. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT ANY PRIZES. You will not get points until IPB 3.0.0 and the trophy allocation mod is not complete yet smile.gif But to help keep the tarla logs and daily puzzle logs and faerie quest and all other point systems you will get trophies and they will be displayed in your profile.

You can submit answers to the daily puzzle.

The Neopets Leader will assign the Lab Guide Maintainer through the Leader CP (very simple you guys aren't missing out on it tongue.gif). The other pages are some logs. The other mods will be out when we upgrade and install them all. So far theese have been imported for demonstration purposes. Points only go to the maintainer. If he updates as the week resets (Every Monday) then he gets 7 and the later the update the less points he gets. This is a spin off of the Unbuyable Price Database where users can keep prices up to date on Unbuyable Items. This will probably be released with the NeoItems modification.

Many others to look forward too! I hope all the legit players out there are stoked! smile.gif

We hope to bring a lot more legit tools out. NeoAlerts will be undergoing a modification. (Also made possible by Kitsune) The Quick Links such as Shop Wizard, NeoMail, etc... will be moved to the bottom. Clicking and releasing normally on a quick link will take you directly to the url on neopets in a new window. Clicking and holding the quick link will open up the neoalerts slide (as seen in the screen shot below) and you can set a reminder if you want. This is useful for Mystery Island training. You can start a training session. Click and hold then set reminder for 3 hours (or however many hours you need) smile.gif This modification will be released in 3.0.0

However we cannot change our affiliation and will continue program on the forefront. We would like to cater to both the legit and non-legit community. I personally will stay away from you non-legit players tongue.gif But whatever tongue.gif For those of you that are non-legit be expecting some awesome programs in our new technology.

Also as you probably noticed in the screen shot above. Neopets images have been fixed and can now bee displayed on the site.

We will attempt programs in Python and see how this goes. We attempted java but the development was a complex loaded process. Python is a rapid development process and is inherently slower then Java, C++ etc. So we think it may be safer. We also have some new requirements on programs submitted which guarantee a lower free rate (More on this in the programmers update). Python is a rapid development language. As a little treat we SL and Dro have knocked up a program for you all. It is a tie in with my legit Tarla tracking. TarlaGrabba! (Awesome name by Marine, thanks dude) No need to stay up looking for that Tarla drop. This program will get it for you automatically! There are no CodexChex on this program as the checks are made via php in the NeoAlerts system. We hope you all enjoy! smile.gif
SL made the pogram and did so with Dros help. This was the Python guinea pig. All the inital technologies (ie: wrapper and core functions) were developed during the process. Fine tuning is probably definitely needed. But theese two worked really hard and will bring you a whole learning environment to Python. We think Python will definitely prove to be quite a technology!
The program is attached. To use it you must install the Python runtimes or whatever its called here:
http://sourceforge.n...2.9-win32-2.exe

Many many more python programs to come! smile.gif We will not discontinue Java programs. If you would like to program Java you are more then welcome to! smile.gif

The IPB 3.0.0 install has begun. SL is working on it and we will go live when finished. Most likely we will go live soon and then install as we go on. The system is very very different.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:12 AM

Squee. How exciting!

Can we still release programs in Java/VB?

I believe with Python you're trying to hit other operating systems which can be done with Java. I am currently making my Kad Feeder in Java after realising this is what the site was looking to gear towards.

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Squee. How exciting!

I believe with Python you're trying to hit other operating systems which can be done with Java. I am currently making my Kad Feeder in Java after realising this is what the site was looking to gear towards.

You can release in whatever language you want, except French.

#4 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Squee. How exciting!

Yeah, you can if you want, though we're trying to push development into Java/Python for compatibility on cross-platforms (and just general "not having to find every single DLL in the book" like VB makes you do tongue.gif). We're changing the way that the programming ranks are achieved also, and it has to do with submitting preliminary projects. Just give us some time as this is still being worked on. tongue.gif Noit seems to have announced it a bit early. tongue.gif

Also keep in mind that TarlaGrabba program is SUPER basic, and I had actually constructed that within a couple hours of first learning Python. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Noitidart @ May 15 2009, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Python is a rapid development process and is inherently slower then Java, C++ etc.

Don't let Hydro catch you saying that. tongue.gif He did speed tests and it's faster and simpler than Java. Not sure about C++

#5 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

You guys have been busy tongue.gif. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (ShadowLink64 @ May 15 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't let Hydro catch you saying that. tongue.gif He did speed tests and it's faster and simpler than Java. Not sure about C++
Actually, Python is much slower than Java as far as running speeds go sad.gif. The language is simpler than java and C++ and its much easier to do things but that is mostly because Python hides a lot of the low level stuff from you. That comes at a cost though and that is speed. Python is an interpreted language much like PHP or Perl and so it is slow. However, for our purposes, this shouldn't matter since we aren't concerned about millisecond granularity tongue.gif.

#7 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (ShadowLink64 @ May 15 2009, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're changing the way that the programming ranks are achieved also, and it has to do with submitting preliminary projects. Just give us some time as this is still being worked on.

Is this still the same basis you explained to me in IRC, or have you modified it?

When you say submitting preliminary projects, is that a half constructed program or a fully working program which needs to be Q&A checked by a programmer?

#8 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:33 PM

I think it'll be safer on neopets for you non legit players tongue.gif

#9 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this still the same basis you explained to me in IRC, or have you modified it?

When you say submitting preliminary projects, is that a half constructed program or a fully working program which needs to be Q&A checked by a programmer?
We're going to have development repositories for programmers to check in their code on to practice programming. Any program that becomes mature enough to be included as a core program released by Neocodex will be moved over. And any programmer who feels that they have practiced enough and want to be a full time programmer for Neocodex will take a small interview going over basic algorithms, program design, testing for bugs, etc. and we'll decide on whether they are good enough yet to be a full time programmer. We'll post tutorials for python and algorithms and what not soon too smile.gif.

#10 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

No offense but that seems a long winded route.

If us programmers are having to wait for our program to be released to the public then we may as well just distribute it via other sites/MSN. I mean look at how it went with the Q&A testing, programs took months to be validated and even I had to bug Pyke to skip it and just release the program. What makes you think this would be any different?

I am creating these programs to support the community and yet by having you and other programmers to go through the code and deem whether it's good enough for your site is kinda demoralizing.

Edited by Rambo, 15 May 2009 - 01:56 PM.

#11 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offense but that seems a long winded route.

If us programmers are having to wait for our program to be released to the public then we may as well just distribute it via other sites/MSN. I mean look at how it went with the Q&A testing, programs took months to be validated and even I had to bug Pyke to skip it and just release the program. What makes you think this would be any different?

I am creating these programs to support the community and yet by having you and other programmers to go through the code and deem whether it's good enough for your site is kinda demoralizing.
It's actually good that you bring this up because it offers another perspective onto our plans. The goal of the new model is that a single programmer doesn't work on a program but multiple programmers work together to make a single program. The program is then released by Neocodex and must be of high quality. That is why we have multiple people able to edit the source code of each program. You can release the program easily on Neocodex by checking the source into the SVN and have it up on the site within minutes (the infrastructure for this is still being created). I was simply talking about the process to get onto the programming team from Jr. Programmer earlier.

#12 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

Validation here will be ez pz as it doesn't need to be downloaded and scanned. Just read 10 minutes tops. I couldn't download and scan because of my poor computer. But even i can read smile.gif So guaranteed approvals 10 minutes tops. Especially with 24/7 one of the approvers is on smile.gif

And when we packet sniffed the test would have to last long time. To make sure we go through all aspects of the program. Now on the other hand everything is right there visible in a 10 minute read.

But the main goal of the system is to allow group projects. Like I hope we tackle an NQ2 auto player! smile.gif Big project though made easy through this system.

#13 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

Still, in order to have a senior programmer check through your code and decide if it's worthwhile is demoralizing.

I would also like to note that if I coded 100% of a program and it's being release by NeoCodex it's self, how is the programmer going to get recognition? Sure, I am not intending to plaster my name all over my programs, however in the past I liked the recognition of the fact my name was on the topic/download. This shan't be happening, therefore people would assume an administrator has created the program and not members of the community.

I like the idea, I do but I can't help but see flaws within and I feel this won't encourage people to contribute.

I am not critcising the group projects. I however dislike the thought of being criticised for a possible 'bad coding practice'.

Oh and the fact that sometimes it's quicker to work by one's self rather in a team.

#14 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still, in order to have a senior programmer check through your code and decide if it's worthwhile is demoralizing.

I would also like to note that if I coded 100% of a program and it's being release by NeoCodex it's self, how is the programmer going to get recognition? Sure, I am not intending to plaster my name all over my programs, however in the past I liked the recognition of the fact my name was on the topic/download. This shan't be happening, therefore people would assume an administrator has created the program and not members of the community.

I like the idea, I do but I can't help but see flaws within and I feel this won't encourage people to contribute.

I am not critcising the group projects. I however dislike the thought of being criticised for a possible 'bad coding practice'.

Oh and the fact that sometimes it's quicker to work by one's self rather in a team.

I think the goal is to have programs rather than users creating programs. I'm sure all contributors will be recognized but honestly, the majority of Neo programs aren't complex (from what I've seen anyways) and I don't see why a programmer would want recognition from making something that others have (exceptions would be something like Raui's method for score sending, or Ryan's NQII Autoplayer). The goal it seems is for innovation, rather than having general programs.

It's sometimes faster to work by one's self, certainly. But it seems like the way that these programs are going, it should go faster for a multitude of people to be on the project.

#15 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

Yeah man no problem we like the discussion smile.gif Its a new system and we're trying all kinds of things. We won't change anything when we compile. You should upload it when compiling is the last step. So thats all we do. Read then compile. We want your name to be on it smile.gif
The topic created will be autocreated with the author of the program as the topic starter. So all credit still goes to the programmer.

We want to give all credit to you. We take no credit in the program whatsoever and it fully belongs to you smile.gif

#16 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You bring up some good points. However, any reasonable person must understand that a little criticism is necessary in order to weed out bad coding practices. Even the best of programmers are capable of making mistakes and no one should get hurt over someone suggesting a better way to do things. This new system also provides a way for programs to be continued in development even after the initial developer leaves. As for recognition, we plan to have a list of contributors to each program.

As for working by yourself, that is essentially what you are doing except checking your code into a larger project. One person works on one part of the project and another person works on another part of the project. We all come together as a team to release amazing programs.

#17 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I do understand that there will be times where people will need to be corrected and I don't have a problem.

I wish luck with this idea, but I still believe it's a very long winded process to what it was in the pass. In all honesty: keep it as it was, but tell programmers they must submit their source codes in order to do a Q&A check.

#18 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do understand that there will be times where people will need to be corrected and I don't have a problem.

I wish luck with this idea, but I still believe it's a very long winded process to what it was in the pass. In all honesty: keep it as it was, but tell programmers they must submit their source codes in order to do a Q&A check.
We'll try to make it as easy for programmers as possible. While we trust most of you guys, we want to open up to anyone who wants to program for us and we aren't sure what sort of nasties they may include. Just asking for source code could mean that they remove one of those nasties first to get by our checks. Rather, we'll compile the code ourselves and place it online.

#19 Guest_Rambo_*

Guest_Rambo_*

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

So to fix what I said to your problem: Ask programmers to submit the source code and you, the senior programmers on NeoCodex compile the program.

#20 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Rambo @ May 15 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So to fix what I said to your problem: Ask programmers to submit the source code and you, the senior programmers on NeoCodex compile the program.
Having a repository of source code solves a lot of problems like working together, reverting files, file backups, etc. Once we open it up to the programmers, I know you guys will love it. The admins are already using the system and its helping our work go much faster.

#21 GlamQueen

GlamQueen
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

wow usualy she drops better prizes LOL since all her prizes become soo cheap after giving them away!
is it possible that u grab something even if u got ur prize?

#22 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

Nah you can only grab once a day

#23 GlamQueen

GlamQueen
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

Yea i thought so lol!

#24 shabba

shabba

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

Ah this sounds great, it happens that I am actually learning python at the moment, well more PyObjC which is a language bridge between Objective-C and Python. Which is fantastic, you can write the core of apps in python and then link it to the frontend models of Objective-C

#25 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (shabba @ May 16 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah this sounds great, it happens that I am actually learning python at the moment, well more PyObjC which is a language bridge between Objective-C and Python. Which is fantastic, you can write the core of apps in python and then link it to the frontend models of Objective-C

That's great. biggrin.gif Hydrogen and I found Java bindings for Python, and so we are able to fully include Mumei's Java CodexChex in our python projects. tongue.gif We didn't have to rewrite the checks. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users