Photo

Making sperm without men, what?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Wicked

Wicked
  • 2057 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:06 AM

The possibility of men - and women - growing their own sperm in the laboratory has moved closer, with scientists creating human sperm from embryonic stem cells for the first time.

The controversial research is aimed at understanding and overcoming male infertility, but may eventually allow two women to have their own biological daughter.

British researchers used embryonic stem cells extracted from IVF embryos and converted them into sperm cells by growing them in a culture containing vitamin A.

The team, led by Karim Nayernia of Newcastle University, said their advance would allow researchers to study how sperm develop.

"It will also allow scientists to study how cells involved in reproduction are affected by toxins, for example, why young boys with leukaemia who undergo chemotherapy can become infertile for life," Professor Nayernia said.

In future, skin cells from patients could also be used to create sperm to find out the cause of their infertility.

Producing a baby with the new sperm is illegal in Britain and at least five more years of research was needed to see whether the technique would be safe or suitable for fertility treatment.

While the team had succeeded only in producing sperm from male embryonic stem cells, it may eventually be possible to produce them from female cells as well, he said.

Some scientists, however, questioned whether fully formed sperm had been created by the researchers, whose study is published in the journal Stem Cells and Development.

"As a sperm biologist of 20 years' experience, I am unconvinced from the data presented in this paper that the cells can be accurately called spermatozoa," Dr Allan Pacey, of the University of Sheffield, told The Guardian.

Stephan Millett, the director of Curtin University's Centre for Applied Ethics and and Philosophy, said the research also raised many scientific, ethical and legal issues, and required considered debate.

Creating sperm for study could benefit infertile couples, but also released the "genie from the bottle" of producing children in new ways.

"I think it is highly dangerous territory," Professor Millett said.

"We've seen enough science fiction become science fact to ask the question, should we do this?"

Loane Skene, of the University of Melbourne, said creating sperm to help infertile couples have children was a laudable aim.

IVF had once been seen as unnatural, yet was now routine, Professor Skene said.

"I have no difficulty with the [sperm] research continuing."

Source~

DISCUSS

#2 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:22 AM

bummer

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

I saw this yesterday - to be honest, I'm quite for the idea. BBC seems to be in quite a negative view there, but if it's a potential cure to infertility then like i said - I'm all for it.

#4 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

Wow that's amazing! I can't believe how far we are advancing. We actually thought this wasn't possible in class a coupple years ago and bam. It's almost done. That is really cool

#5 Wicked

Wicked
  • 2057 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:43 PM

yeah its quite interesting how far we are advancing.

#6 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Oh and this is going to allow lesbians to have kids. That's sick.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

"Sick" in the good way, right?

#8 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

No nasty. :p

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

Based on the videos I've seen lesbians seem quite friendly. What's supposed to be nasty about them? :unsure:

#10 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

You know you're going to get taken to task on this one, right?

#11 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

You know you're going to get taken to task on this one, right?

If I had more energy I'd do the honours but I just can't be bothered. :(

#12 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

This is the beginning of the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...

#13 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

This is the beginning of the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...

You probably feel fine because the end of the world as we know it is most certainly a good thing.

(Edit; and yes, I know it's a lyric)

#14 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

You probably feel fine because the end of the world as we know it is most certainly a good thing.

(Edit; and yes, I know it's a lyric)

You gave me too much credit, I feel fine because I could give a rats ass about it. Now I gather you guys know what I mean about this? I'm sure some of you can imagine some amazon society where all of the males die out/turn gay. That's clearly going too far/turning into lulz but if this is true/does work out, a slight shadow of that may be made. Aslong as the hot girls turn lesbian as well, tis' all good.

#15 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

Who doesn't like some hot, sweaty, dirty chick on chick action?

I'll make my joke comments more clear. Totally understandable since all I used was a smilie. But this brings up another issue everyone on site doesn't have to support what you personally do. To each their own and they are allowed to share it (respectfully << I know many of you don't like this word so I'll use "considerately"). If this is seen on the boards it will be dealt with sternly.

Based on the videos I've seen lesbians seem quite friendly. What's supposed to be nasty about them? :unsure:

Hahah what kind of videos? ;)

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:06 AM

But this brings up another issue everyone on site doesn't have to support what you personally do. To each their own and they are allowed to share it (respectfully << I know many of you don't like this word so I'll use "considerately"). If this is seen on the boards it will be dealt with sternly.

Hurrah for censorship.
If someone can't support their beliefs, they don't deserve to hold them, and they certainly shouldn't share them.

What's the point in administrating a discussion board if you're not going to allow any discussion?!

#17 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

Sorry, Noit... but wrong.

Scientists paying poor men for sperm made that possible.

That and horrifyingly difficult adoption processes. That too

And if you're talking about one of the women being the "daddy" for real... that's just funnier than it is disturbing IMO

Edited by jcrboy, 10 July 2009 - 05:28 AM.

#18 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

Hurrah for censorship.
If someone can't support their beliefs, they don't deserve to hold them, and they certainly shouldn't share them.

What's the point in administrating a discussion board if you're not going to allow any discussion?!

What I spoke of in the previous post was "censoring" of users comments by other members. Go ahead discuss but don't bash and don't discuss in a bash like manner. If that is seen you will see staff intervention which includes warns/post disapproval/topic closure etc. Why? Because that scares and stops people from sharing their thoughts meaning no discussion meaning no discussion board. Staff at NeoCodex supports safe discussion where new friends and ties are made. Not where old ties or possible future ties are broken.

And if you're talking about one of the women being the "daddy" for real... that's just funnier than it is disturbing IMO

Lol I dont think it's possible either because a woman doesn't have a Y chromosome in her. So if they make sperm from her it'll be all XX which I guess is possible but will only give them daughters. Which the lesbians probably wouldn't mind lol

#19 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

What I spoke of in the previous post was "censoring" of users comments by other members. Go ahead discuss but don't bash and don't discuss in a bash like manner. If that is seen you will see staff intervention which includes warns/post disapproval/topic closure etc. Why? Because that scares and stops people from sharing their thoughts meaning no discussion meaning no discussion board. Staff at NeoCodex supports safe discussion where new friends and ties are made. Not where old ties or possible future ties are broken.

Lol I dont think it's possible either because a woman doesn't have a Y chromosome in her. So if they make sperm from her it'll be all XX which I guess is possible but will only give them daughters. Which the lesbians probably wouldn't mind lol

Even if it was possible I bet the religious nuts would make a bill to make it illegal.

#20 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

Even if it was possible I bet the religious nuts would make a bill to make it illegal.

Probably spend a bil to make it illegal.

#21 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

Oh I just think it's real cool from what our research and tech these days can accomplish :p
Like I can appreciate the MJ plastic surgery. I think it was a feat. I personally want some plastic surgery done to get rid of some scars/"beauty spots". Like real real badly :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users