Legalizing Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#26 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:15 AM

There's a black market now. There will be a black market if drugs are legalised.

Following legalisation, the black market will be smaller, and less pervasive. Following legalisation, the government will make money from safer sources of drugs.

Neither the fact that legalisation won't eliminate black market trade, nor the fact that it'll have a high initial overhead, are valid reasons against instituting such a policy.

Since, Drug dealers is a specifically targeted word designed to specify only people who illegally sell drugs. Otherwise we would be talking about anyone who sells medicine, some kinds of food, or alcohol. Therefor we cannot also consider Alcohol a drug. Its the only way to maintain politically correct.

The key word is illegally.
If someone is selling alcohol to minors, they are a drug dealer, whether that offends their delicate sensibilities or not.

#27 turdo

turdo
  • 126 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

Aaaaah how I love waking up to a nice, hot, steamy debate. Here we go.

According to the government (All that matters). Office of Drug & Alcohol Policy & Compliance

Since, Drug dealers is a specifically targeted word designed to specify only people who illegally sell drugs. Otherwise we would be talking about anyone who sells medicine, some kinds of food, or alcohol. Therefor we cannot also consider Alcohol a drug. Its the only way to maintain politically correct.

I ... I ... I am lost for words. Let me make a list for you of drugs that can be potentially abused and are still sold as "medicine."

1. Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone (any kind of opiate)
2. Benzodiazepines (muscle relaxants, anti anxiety)
3. Adderall, Vyvanse, Ritalin (ADD medication, basically legal meth)

I can go on and on

Saying that if you can sell a substance legally it negates the fact that it's a drug is ... well stupid.

Grow the fuck up nigger.

When you legalize and TAX (get it?) drugs there will be a black market to sell that shit for less than the original price+tax to make a bigger profit and not send shit to the government. Just look at tobacco. I've been importing cheap 'illegal' cigarettes and tobacco from Russia for years because our government has such a high taxation on tobacco-products. Other people do this with alcohol as well and sell it to their families/friends/other people for less than stores would charge because of the high ass taxation the government has put on these drugs so they can make more money (officially it's to curb people's usage of these products).

Who you callin a nigger, nigger? :p

The size of the black market for already legal substances that you're referring to is puny.

There's a black market now. There will be a black market if drugs are legalised.

Following legalisation, the black market will be smaller, and less pervasive. Following legalisation, the government will make money from safer sources of drugs.

Neither the fact that legalisation won't eliminate black market trade, nor the fact that it'll have a high initial overhead, are valid reasons against instituting such a policy.

The key word is illegally.
If someone is selling alcohol to minors, they are a drug dealer, whether that offends their delicate sensibilities or not.

Thank you

#28 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

According to here http://www.whitehous...end/index.html. The drug market is 69 billion a year. Give it 9 years growth....

Tell me how you expect the drug dealers to cope with that loss?

Aaaaah how I love waking up to a nice, hot, steamy debate. Here we go.

I ... I ... I am lost for words. Let me make a list for you of drugs that can be potentially abused and are still sold as "medicine."

1. Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone (any kind of opiate)
2. Benzodiazepines (muscle relaxants, anti anxiety)
3. Adderall, Vyvanse, Ritalin (ADD medication, basically legal meth)

I can go on and on

Saying that if you can sell a substance legally it negates the fact that it's a drug is ... well stupid.

Perhaps you should learn about Social Acceptation of words, Slang, and being politically correct.

I can abuse Toothpaste, Air Freshener, Paint, and many other household items. I guess that they are drugs as well. There is a common seperation between, drugs that are illegal, and drugs that are legal. When a drug is used as medicine, its not illegel, therefor we properly refer to it as medicine, and when the drug is used illegally, its called a drug.

Why do we separate things like this? So that way you can use them socially and anyone can understand what you mean. When someone says drug, 90% of people think cocaine/weed/heroine. When you say medicine, 90% of people think aspirin/Morphine/Oxycodone.

Furthure more, a drug is anything that alters your bodies chemistry. So, there are many types of food that are drugs. There are perfumes/colones. Body sweat. We adapt words to mean specific things.

Anyway, I did read the article, and that "changing of laws" is actually called decriminalization, which means they no longer classify drug use or possession in small quantities as a crime punishable by jail time. The whole point is that they completely disproved the myth that jail time is a deterrent for drug users, because if that was the case decriminalization would have led to an increase in drug use.

Where are you getting your information because most of it seems either fabricated or literally pulled out your ass for the sake of a really bad point.

Some people do get jail time. Some people dont.

http://www.passyourd....com/mjlaws.htm

9 states have it decriminalized. One of the states (California) also has the biggest drug problem, and its only gotten worse over the years.

I never said No One goes to jail for drug usage, but most of the people do not. I know several friends in florida (Where is a 1 year sentence) that have been caught with it, and only spent a night in jail, and then paid a fine and whent on probation. The laws are based upon a three strikes sentence, and generally your first strike is never jail time. This is all based upon the judge, and the situation. Thousand of people get off with fines/rehap. They are infact the majority.

Edited by iargue, 31 August 2009 - 09:26 AM.

#29 therato

therato
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

marijuana is legal...
well here it is :whistling:

anny way marijuana is not that great, give me shrooms :p though they have been illegalized about half a year ago

#30 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

marijuana is legal...
well here it is :whistling:

anny way marijuana is not that great, give me shrooms :p though they have been illegalized about half a year ago

Huh. Where are you at? Because I've never heard of a single country to completely legalize weed.

#31 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

I can abuse Toothpaste, Air Freshener, Paint, and many other household items. I guess that they are drugs as well. There is a common seperation between, drugs that are illegal, and drugs that are legal. When a drug is used as medicine, its not illegel, therefor we properly refer to it as medicine, and when the drug is used illegally, its called a drug.

Why do we separate things like this? So that way you can use them socially and anyone can understand what you mean. When someone says drug, 90% of people think cocaine/weed/heroine. When you say medicine, 90% of people think aspirin/Morphine/Oxycodone.

Has anyone thought you were buying crack or heroin when you went to the drug store?

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

According to here http://www.whitehous...end/index.html. The drug market is 69 billion a year. Give it 9 years growth....

Tell me how you expect the drug dealers to cope with that loss?

Depends on their business sense.

#33 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:25 PM

Depends on their business sense.

You make 120 million a year, delving completely into the world of drugs. You have killed people, bribed people, maybe even raped someone. Someone takes away your 120 million dollars a year income. What do you do now? Open a pizza shop?

#34 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

You make 120 million a year, delving completely into the world of drugs. You have killed people, bribed people, maybe even raped someone. Someone takes away your 120 million dollars a year income. What do you do now? Open a pizza shop?

I don't follow your point...
Because bad people continue to do bad things after legalisation, even though we've made it harder for them to do so, legalisation is bad?

#35 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

I don't follow your point...
Because bad people continue to do bad things after legalisation, even though we've made it harder for them to do so, legalisation is bad?

I would much rather they sell drugs to the people that really badly want it, then for to take children off the streets and sell them into prostitution.

I would hope that you agree.

#36 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

I would much rather they sell drugs to the people that really badly want it, then for to take children off the streets and sell them into prostitution.

Selling drugs and selling children are mutually exclusive forms of exploitation... you think that the guy on the corner has a harem of children waiting back in the warehouse just in case his drug selling business goes south? You have an absurd view on the world, my friend

#37 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

Selling drugs and selling children are mutually exclusive forms of exploitation... you think that the guy on the corner has a harem of children waiting back in the warehouse just in case his drug selling business goes south? You have an absurd view on the world, my friend

The guy on the street corner is fucking small time. When his supplier runs out, he will probably end up a hobo. I'm talking about the Drug Cartels. They make millions a year, and have an entire gang setup to sell weed. When that stops, they need some other way to make in the money. That means, other crimes. Aka. Kidnapping. Robbery. Or something else (I cant think of any though)

#38 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

The guy on the street corner is fucking small time. When his supplier runs out, he will probably end up a hobo. I'm talking about the Drug Cartels. They make millions a year, and have an entire gang setup to sell weed. When that stops, they need some other way to make in the money. That means, other crimes. Aka. Kidnapping. Robbery. Or something else (I cant think of any though)

Or they could move on to the next drug... cocaine... heroin... psilocybin... opiates...

If you have an existing infrastructure, you're going to want to use that existing infrastructure. If that infrastructure is designed to sell drugs, then you sell drugs.

Claiming that a drug cartel would say "oh shit, what will we do now? Let's move into human trafficking" is along the lines of a gas station closing down and becoming a pet shop. The transition makes no sense from an infrastructure standpoint.

#39 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

Or they could move on to the next drug... cocaine... heroin... psilocybin... opiates...

If you have an existing infrastructure, you're going to want to use that existing infrastructure. If that infrastructure is designed to sell drugs, then you sell drugs.

Claiming that a drug cartel would say "oh shit, what will we do now? Let's move into human trafficking" is along the lines of a gas station closing down and becoming a pet shop. The transition makes no sense from an infrastructure standpoint.

No no no. All drugs are being legalized accoring to Sunscorch. your anaology is too far off base, Human trafficing is close to drug traffic, rakes in the same profit, and is a crime. Its category wise.

#40 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Lol@Rehab ads in this thread

#41 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

Lol@Rehab ads in this thread

Why are you not using Adblock+?

#42 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

Cuz I'm using Opera and for some reason I can't block the text adds on top of the reply box. More revenue for Codex so idc.

#43 turdo

turdo
  • 126 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

No no no. All drugs are being legalized accoring to Sunscorch. your anaology is too far off base, Human trafficing is close to drug traffic, rakes in the same profit, and is a crime. Its category wise.

Orrrrrr they could move on to provide these drugs for people legally? As jcr said it would make sense to step in that direction.

And again, look at the hard core rum runners when the Alcohol Prohibition was goin on. Did they all start selling other drugs as soon as it became legal? HELL NAW! They already had setups to make alcohol so they continued to do it but legally.

#44 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Back to infrastructure:

I have a supply of a product.
I have a supply of managers who I entrust with handling the product, hiring employees, and responsibly handling money.
Their employees work to develop a recurring customer base and keep them coming back for more.

This bottom line is important because it's the base of the pyramid.

If I were to change fields, I would need to rework the top AND bottom of my infrastructure pyramid: find a different supply of product, retrain the base employees to work on new customers over and over... selling girls is usually a once in a while buy.

Now if we were to instead restructure for legal distribution, then we just add taxes and change the customer base slightly to legal outlets (sell houses or pharmacies). Much easier restructuring, plus you're keeping a decent amount of the profit you had before, but without the legal issues.

#45 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

See, I would have no problem just saying, Fuck it, let it happen. But it could be my daughter, my girlffriend, my sister, my wife, my brother. Someone I care about that it happens to. I would never want that to happen.

#46 turdo

turdo
  • 126 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

See, I would have no problem just saying, Fuck it, let it happen. But it could be my daughter, my girlffriend, my sister, my wife, my brother. Someone I care about that it happens to. I would never want that to happen.

What exactly do you mean by that? That what happens to them?

#47 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

What exactly do you mean by that? That what happens to them?

Kidnapped, sold into prostitution?

Good job reading the topic.

#48 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Whats with this obsession with drug dealers kidnapping people and selling them into prostitution?

#49 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Yup. That's a totally likely scenario.

#50 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

Yup. That's a totally likely scenario.

How is it not? Human trafficking is a great source of money. I cant believe you really expect them to just go legit. Thats realllly close minded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users