My new computer so far....

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#26 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

MSI doesnt make ATI cards. MSI makes Nvidia ones :p.

The card you linked is good.

Edited by iargue, 06 November 2009 - 05:31 PM.

#27 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

MSI doesnt make ATI cards. MSI makes Nvidia ones :p.

The card you linked is good.

Ha, forgive my Nubishness...still learning :p.

#28 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

Just ordered PSU and CPU so I should be able to get this beast up and running in about aweek :p.

#29 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

Just ordered PSU and CPU so I should be able to get this beast up and running in about aweek :p.

Thats good :). Wife find out yet?

#30 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

Thats good :). Wife find out yet?

Ha, nope :shifty:

I have to treat myself sometimes :whistling:

#31 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

Ha, nope :shifty:

I have to treat myself sometimes :whistling:

Yes. You definitely deserve it :).

#32 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

:S. Isn't it a bad sign when you're trying to hide purchases from your wife?

#33 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Especially when you JUST got married :p

#34 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

Not really, she will find out anyway. I already gave her 90% of my wages from this month + the £1300 I got for suing my previous employer....we are saving for a house. I bought this stuff on a credit card as we need to build up a credit rating for when we go to get a mortgage. It's interest free for 12 months...and I can pay it off in one month anyway.

No worries :p....plus she just got an i-phone and she knew I wanted one.

#35 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:18 AM

Ok, so I have started trying to assemble my computer but with it being the first time I have done this I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I just put the CPU into the motherbaord and attached the cooler....but in the instructions it is asking for a thin layer of heat sink paste....is that something I should have to buy seperately?

#36 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:19 AM

Arctic silver 5 is the way to go imo. Just put a small grain of it in the center of your cpu then either let the pressure from the heatsink spread it out or do it with a credit card.

#37 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

I'm pretty sure it said in the manual that there was some kind of heat tape attached already.

This is far more complicated than I thought it would be :p. So far I 'think' I have the motherboard and power supply in place....and the RAM attached to the motherboard. Now I 'think' I have the CD drive connected to the power supply....however I can see me encountering some problems when I finally get to power the computer up because I'm pretty sure the CD drive is not working....which means I won't be able to install the drivers etc from the CD provided :p.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out where the hard drive gets connected....and I have extra USB ports thanks to t he person who built the computer I currently have but I can't figure out where to connect them :rolleyes:.

In fact....

Should I really be getting a new HD or will me old one be fine?....and am I going to need a new copy of windows etc or is it a case of just configuring the BIOS and away I go?

I'm working now for the next 21 hours straight so I won't be able to have another go at connecting it all until tomorrow but I'll be online later to read any replies :).

bump!

#38 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

I'm pretty sure it said in the manual that there was some kind of heat tape attached already.

This is far more complicated than I thought it would be :p. So far I 'think' I have the motherboard and power supply in place....and the RAM attached to the motherboard. Now I 'think' I have the CD drive connected to the power supply....however I can see me encountering some problems when I finally get to power the computer up because I'm pretty sure the CD drive is not working....which means I won't be able to install the drivers etc from the CD provided :p.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out where the hard drive gets connected....and I have extra USB ports thanks to t he person who built the computer I currently have but I can't figure out where to connect them :rolleyes:.

In fact....

Should I really be getting a new HD or will me old one be fine?....and am I going to need a new copy of windows etc or is it a case of just configuring the BIOS and away I go?

I'm working now for the next 21 hours straight so I won't be able to have another go at connecting it all until tomorrow but I'll be online later to read any replies :).

bump!

Sorry. I was going to answer this, boss came by and I forgot :p.

First. If you would like to use your old Hard Drive, you can. And if you want to keep your same windows installation without reformatting. You can :) (If you want to, I can show you how. Its like four steps)

Second. When I first built my first ever computer, it took me two hours to figure out the damn wiring, now I can assemble it in less then thirty minutes :p.

Continuing, on your little fan you bought, does it contain some gray stuff on the bottom of it? If so, then you have already applied thermal grease and you dont need any, if not run to Radio Shack and get some (Or any other computer place. I dont know britian) The stock fan that came with your processor has some applied, so you can use that :p

#39 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

For now I would like to keep the same version of windows I already have installed and keep my HD as it is. I thought I had two HD's in there but it's just one that has been split in two.

I just have a few more wires to connect now but I can't for the life of me figure out where they go. They are thin wires with small adapters that are needed for the two USB ports and for the mic and headphones jack on the front of my computer.

My graphics card still hasn't arrived so am I alright to boot the computer up once it is ready with the old card installed and then just switch them when it arrives?

#40 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

For now I would like to keep the same version of windows I already have installed and keep my HD as it is. I thought I had two HD's in there but it's just one that has been split in two.

I just have a few more wires to connect now but I can't for the life of me figure out where they go. They are thin wires with small adapters that are needed for the two USB ports and for the mic and headphones jack on the front of my computer.

My graphics card still hasn't arrived so am I alright to boot the computer up once it is ready with the old card installed and then just switch them when it arrives?

How you tried reading the manual? :p They usually show the pin assignment. Is your USB cables a solid single plug, or do they have it split into multiple tiny ones (I hate that). The audo things should be towards the back of the otherboard near the PCI slots/cpu. Thats where I usually see them. Get a maginifying glass so you can read the damn letters. XD

You had a dedicated card on your old computer? :o. And yeah. That will work as well.

Your going to need your old computer to do these steps :p

To keep your old hard drive. Your going to need to Right click Computer > properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Expand Computer. select whatever shows up and select Update Driver (Right click). Click, No not this time. Install from a list or speific location. Dont Search, I will choose the driver to install. Then select "Standard PC". After it finishes installing, it will probably ask you to restart. Dont restart (Turn off only) the computer until the HD is in the new one.

After the HD boots up in the computer, go back through the steps but let it search automatically. If it cant find anything, then you should manually select ACPI Multiprocessor. After this, your ready to go with your new computer.

#41 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

How you tried reading the manual? :p They usually show the pin assignment. Is your USB cables a solid single plug, or do they have it split into multiple tiny ones (I hate that). The audo things should be towards the back of the otherboard near the PCI slots/cpu. Thats where I usually see them. Get a maginifying glass so you can read the damn letters. XD

You had a dedicated card on your old computer? :o. And yeah. That will work as well.

Your going to need your old computer to do these steps :p

To keep your old hard drive. Your going to need to Right click Computer > properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Expand Computer. select whatever shows up and select Update Driver (Right click). Click, No not this time. Install from a list or speific location. Dont Search, I will choose the driver to install. Then select "Standard PC". After it finishes installing, it will probably ask you to restart. Dont restart (Turn off only) the computer until the HD is in the new one.

After the HD boots up in the computer, go back through the steps but let it search automatically. If it cant find anything, then you should manually select ACPI Multiprocessor. After this, your ready to go with your new computer.

The adapter is split into little ones but they have different letters written on them to what is shown in the manual :/.

I had a Geforce 6 series in there before but to play anything the game had to be on the lowest possible settings. I'm going to have to stick with the old graphics card for now as I just phoned the company I ordered the Radeon 5770 from and they said it is going to be another week before I get it.

I don't have my old computer as some parts of it are being used for the new one and I didn't get a new chassis so all the new parts are basically in my new computer. We have an old desktop though...so could I put my HD in there and follow the steps you said above?

#42 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

The adapter is split into little ones but they have different letters written on them to what is shown in the manual :/.

I had a Geforce 6 series in there before but to play anything the game had to be on the lowest possible settings. I'm going to have to stick with the old graphics card for now as I just phoned the company I ordered the Radeon 5770 from and they said it is going to be another week before I get it.

I don't have my old computer as some parts of it are being used for the new one and I didn't get a new chassis so all the new parts are basically in my new computer. We have an old desktop though...so could I put my HD in there and follow the steps you said above?

No. The issue is that windows uses a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to identify your hardware, and when it boots up in a computer with a different motherboard, you get a sexy 0x0000007E Stop error (Which also is caused by around 100 other things. XD). So, your only options are the either pull out your motherboard (Dont take the cpu or anything off) and reattach your old motherboard temporarily, which will give you some experiance with putting things together, AND Usb is standard, so just match up the order which your pins go on your old motherboard and put them the same on your new motherboard. (You can download you're old motherboards manual online :p). Or you could just reformat your HD.

#43 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

Is it possible to just put the old HD in the new computer and reformat it from there?

I'm not sure my old graphics card is compatible with my new motherboard either :(....it diesn't seem to fit into any of the available slots.

I really can't be arsed dismantling it all again....I was afraid of breaking it the first time :p.

#44 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

Is it possible to just put the old HD in the new computer and reformat it from there?

I'm not sure my old graphics card is compatible with my new motherboard either :(....it diesn't seem to fit into any of the available slots.

I really can't be arsed dismantling it all again....I was afraid of breaking it the first time :p.

Yeah... I forgot your new motherboard only has the good slots. XD. You can deffinately format your HD from your new computer, all you need is a cd for Windows XP/Vista/7 (Of. Mac OSX/Linux is you swing that way)

#45 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

Yeah... I forgot your new motherboard only has the good slots. XD. You can deffinately format your HD from your new computer, all you need is a cd for Windows XP/Vista/7 (Of. Mac OSX/Linux is you swing that way)

Could you suggest a new chassis for me to get at all iargue? Nothing too expensive if possible :p. I may as well just get a new HD and start from scratch as I don't have a CD with windows on it. I'll have to try and download windows 7 from somewhere and burn it to CD so I can install in when I boot the computer up for the first time. I'll probably just wait until the graphics card arrives before I play around with it anymore.

#46 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

Could you suggest a new chassis for me to get at all iargue? Nothing too expensive if possible :p. I may as well just get a new HD and start from scratch as I don't have a CD with windows on it. I'll have to try and download windows 7 from somewhere and burn it to CD so I can install in when I boot the computer up for the first time. I'll probably just wait until the graphics card arrives before I play around with it anymore.

Are you wanting a full size or mid size?

Mid is the size you have now.

#47 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

Are you wanting a full size or mid size?

Mid is the size you have now.

Mid size should be fine then. Decided to put my old computer back together so I can sort the hard drive out. Would be nice to have the new one up and running for when the new graphics card arrives.

#48 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Mid size should be fine then. Decided to put my old computer back together so I can sort the hard drive out. Would be nice to have the new one up and running for when the new graphics card arrives.

Good luck :).

Really, all cases are essentially the same :p. Get one with same fans in it thought o help with air flow. XD

#49 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

Just about to start moving all the new parts back in plus a new optical drive that I took from a barely used older computer. I followed the instructions you gave me so the HD should work with the new computer now right?

Would my new computer be able to play something like WoW on minimum settings without a dedicated graphics card? Just wondering as, if it can't, then I will be without a game to waste my time on for the next 10 days :p.

#50 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

Just about to start moving all the new parts back in plus a new optical drive that I took from a barely used older computer. I followed the instructions you gave me so the HD should work with the new computer now right?

Would my new computer be able to play something like WoW on minimum settings without a dedicated graphics card? Just wondering as, if it can't, then I will be without a game to waste my time on for the next 10 days :p.

Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None

Yeah... Your motherboard doesnt have a video card on it? :p

So... I guess your gameless :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users