Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None

Yeah... Your motherboard doesnt have a video card on it? :p

So... I guess your gameless :(

I am definitely gameless when you take into account the fact I can't connect my monitor to the tower because my old graphics card is not compatible :p.

Balls...the company I ordered the Radeon 5770 from said that it had been dispatched to me but it turns out they didn't have any in stock to send to me.....which begs the question 'why the fuck did you say it had been dispatched then?' :rolleyes:

I can't train my pet now :(

#52 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

I am definitely gameless when you take into account the fact I can't connect my monitor to the tower because my old graphics card is not compatible :p.

Balls...the company I ordered the Radeon 5770 from said that it had been dispatched to me but it turns out they didn't have any in stock to send to me.....which begs the question 'why the fuck did you say it had been dispatched then?' :rolleyes:

I can't train my pet now :(

Your on a computer now....

#53 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:13 AM

Your on a computer now....

My wifes laptop and she has a neo account on it so it's probably not a good idea for me to log into mine.

#54 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

MSI doesnt make ATI cards. MSI makes Nvidia ones :p.

The card you linked is good.

?? No

MSI makes both lol....

No. The issue is that windows uses a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to identify your hardware, and when it boots up in a computer with a different motherboard, you get a sexy 0x0000007E Stop error (Which also is caused by around 100 other things. XD). So, your only options are the either pull out your motherboard (Dont take the cpu or anything off) and reattach your old motherboard temporarily, which will give you some experiance with putting things together, AND Usb is standard, so just match up the order which your pins go on your old motherboard and put them the same on your new motherboard. (You can download you're old motherboards manual online :p). Or you could just reformat your HD.

A possible remedy for this, is using Windows REPAIR option, to re-install Windows on top of itself. I've done it before with success when changing out motherboards. Also, if the new motherboard is of a similar chipset, sometimes you won't have any problems switching.

The only reason I'd do this is, is as a last resort, if I didn't know about being unable to switch motherboards, but wanted to recover files before reformatting again.

#55 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

?? No

MSI makes both lol....

A possible remedy for this, is using Windows REPAIR option, to re-install Windows on top of itself. I've done it before with success when changing out motherboards. Also, if the new motherboard is of a similar chipset, sometimes you won't have any problems switching.

Not similar chipset :p. I do believe he already did my previous steps.

My wifes laptop and she has a neo account on it so it's probably not a good idea for me to log into mine.

Yeah.... Your going to have the same ip address....

#56 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:13 AM

Help!! I just got my graphics card finally and have it connected to the motherboard. I just booted up the computer and I got as far as the BIOS setup before the power cut out. I have tried several times now but it just keeps going off....have I done something wrong?

#57 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:44 AM

I assume the power supply is powerful enough?

Double check the connections/make sure all fans are working

Could anything be shorting it?

Try booting without ram (or only 1 stick and then switch that stick with another)

#58 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

Help!! I just got my graphics card finally and have it connected to the motherboard. I just booted up the computer and I got as far as the BIOS setup before the power cut out. I have tried several times now but it just keeps going off....have I done something wrong?

This could even be a heat issue. Try what Hobo said. Does your video card need dedicated power (check if there are power connectors on the card). Remove all ram but on card. Take our the cpu and reseat it, ensure there is plenty of thermal grease on it.

#59 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

I took the whole thing apart in the end. When I put it back together I just made sure everything was connected properly and it seems to be working now.

New problem is the HD. I followed those instructions you gave me on the last page iargue and the new computer is obviously detecting the old HDD as it is loading Windows XP....the problem I have is it is taking ages. It's been about 20 minutes so far and it still hasn't got to the desktop...is this normal when booting for the first time?

#60 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

No it's not normal.

Are you sure it's not frozen?

#61 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

No it's not normal.

Are you sure it's not frozen?

Nope it's not frozen. It is still finding new hardware every so often. I need to install the drivers for the new motherboard and graphics card but it is not picking up the CD drive.

Everything on my desktop is enlarged as well....I think that happens in 'safe mode' right?

#62 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

I took the whole thing apart in the end. When I put it back together I just made sure everything was connected properly and it seems to be working now.

New problem is the HD. I followed those instructions you gave me on the last page iargue and the new computer is obviously detecting the old HDD as it is loading Windows XP....the problem I have is it is taking ages. It's been about 20 minutes so far and it still hasn't got to the desktop...is this normal when booting for the first time?

Can you boot it into Safe Mode?

#63 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

Can you boot it into Safe Mode?

See post above :).

#64 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

Nope it's not frozen. It is still finding new hardware every so often. I need to install the drivers for the new motherboard and graphics card but it is not picking up the CD drive.

Everything on my desktop is enlarged as well....I think that happens in 'safe mode' right?

It happens if your Resolution is low :p. You need to install video card drivers for it.

You can find drivers online, if you cant use the CD Drive. :p.

If it doesnt see the cd drive at all, you might not have plugged it in right....

#65 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

I have two cables in the back of the CD drive. One to the power supply and another to the motherboard. That's right isn't it?

I need the computer to pick up my USB wireless card in order to access the internet but it won't because I have not yet installed the motherboard drivers.

#66 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

I have two cables in the back of the CD drive. One to the power supply and another to the motherboard. That's right isn't it?

I need the computer to pick up my USB wireless card in order to access the internet but it won't because I have not yet installed the motherboard drivers.

Why yes. That is right!. Put the cd into another computer and copy it to a flash drive?

Also, check if your bios can see the video card.

#67 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

How do I check that?

#68 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

How do I check that?

When you boot your computer. It will say something like "PRess F2 to enter setup" Press whatever key it says, and look in there. It should say something like, Ide drive #1 LG SUPER DVD 0003994

Or something like that :p

#69 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:13 AM

I have been doing a bit of research on this and everything seems to point to the fact I have transferred my HDD over from another computer. It's basically not compatible with my new motherboard because XP is a bitch with things like this.

My next question is this, if put my old computer back together and removed everything I needed to keep, then reformatted....the HDD would work straight away right? I would just need to reinstall the OS and I'm good to go?

#70 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

Couldn't you just save some time and reformat it using your new computer/a bootable cd with reformatting powas?

#71 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

I have been doing a bit of research on this and everything seems to point to the fact I have transferred my HDD over from another computer. It's basically not compatible with my new motherboard because XP is a bitch with things like this.

My next question is this, if put my old computer back together and removed everything I needed to keep, then reformatted....the HDD would work straight away right? I would just need to reinstall the OS and I'm good to go?

The issue is with Windows XP wanting to use your old motherboard, and not your new motherboard. Reformatting on your old computer will leave to the same issue.

Setting it to standard PC should allow you to boot into windows xp without going into safe mode (Pressing F8). If you cant get into Windows without going into safe mode please tell me the BSOD error number! If windows xp just takes forever, then you need to go back through the steps provided. Go to standard PC again, right click, update driver, and let it search on its own. If it cant find anything from there, then go manually pick one. Make sur eyou have ONLY COMPATIBLE button checked, and manually pick dual core. That should fix the slow startup issue.

Did you check if the cd drive was seen in bios?

#72 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

To 'solve'(pff) the problem I went out and bought a new HDD. To be honest I'm getting sick of this. I just want a working computer ffs.

Bought the new HDD and just booted the computer up with an XP disc in but I got a BSOD after a couple of minutes. It seemed to be installing something but then stopped and gave me the BSOD.

Should the graphics card be picked up in the BIOS? I can't tell if it is being picked up or not. It seems to be picking up the new HDD and the CD drive just fine.

After getting the BSOD the computer now gets stuck at 'Verifying DMI pool data' and does nothing....just hangs there. I'm getting pissed now.

#73 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Usually video cards ARENT shown in the BIOS. I've only seen 1 BIOS ever that showed the video card, and it was a laptop.

@ Oaken.

The hard drive is perfectly "Compatible", just it is trying to load an old windows install, with old motherboard/chipset/video card drivers, and does not have access to new drivers for your new equipment yet, therefore giving errors / crashing.

You sure its not a bad install disc?
Try your ram on 2.1v
Try 1 stick of ram
Make sure video card / ram is pushed in 100% (Try pushing kind of hard to ensure its actually in, I've seen many time where it may be in 90-95% of the way and will still cause problems)
Also ensure your CPU heatsink is properly applied. Not being properly applied can cause high temps which will cause random restarts / instability, etc.

#74 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

To 'solve'(pff) the problem I went out and bought a new HDD. To be honest I'm getting sick of this. I just want a working computer ffs.

Bought the new HDD and just booted the computer up with an XP disc in but I got a BSOD after a couple of minutes. It seemed to be installing something but then stopped and gave me the BSOD.

Should the graphics card be picked up in the BIOS? I can't tell if it is being picked up or not. It seems to be picking up the new HDD and the CD drive just fine.

After getting the BSOD the computer now gets stuck at 'Verifying DMI pool data' and does nothing....just hangs there. I'm getting pissed now.

Oh oh! I know this issue! Windows xp doesnt support ACHI with your hard drive. So, you gotta go into bios to remove that option. Just go into the Hard drive settings and disable anything that you can. Then after you install XP successfully, turn it all back on (Windows support its 100% AFTER the install. Lol)

#75 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:01 AM

Ok, I have windows 7 installed now but I seem to be getting graphical errors. Basically, sometimes the desktop will seem to freeze up. It's not actually frozen because I can still use the mouse etc. It is showing a still shot of the desktop every 10 seconds or so and a little popup appears saying something failed to initiate or something...I can't quite see it because b the time the next still appears it has gone.

Someone mentioned ensuring that the MB onboard graphics is disables....but for one I don't know how to check that and secondly I'm pretty sure there is no onboard graphics. Unless of course they all have some sort of graphics capabilities....help meh please :x3:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users