My new computer so far....

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#76 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

Ok, I have windows 7 installed now but I seem to be getting graphical errors. Basically, sometimes the desktop will seem to freeze up. It's not actually frozen because I can still use the mouse etc. It is showing a still shot of the desktop every 10 seconds or so and a little popup appears saying something failed to initiate or something...I can't quite see it because b the time the next still appears it has gone.

Someone mentioned ensuring that the MB onboard graphics is disables....but for one I don't know how to check that and secondly I'm pretty sure there is no onboard graphics. Unless of course they all have some sort of graphics capabilities....help meh please :x3:

Yeah. Your motherboard doesnt have a video card onboard... Does this issue still happen in safe mode? If not, you can use safemode to view the event log and see the error

#77 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:48 AM

How do I view the event log? If it happens again then I will post up the log.

Any idea what would cause files that I download to be corrupt all the time? I tried downloading updated drivers for my graphics card and Java, both were reported as being corrupted....even if I try them several times.

#78 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:11 AM

How do I view the event log? If it happens again then I will post up the log.

Any idea what would cause files that I download to be corrupt all the time? I tried downloading updated drivers for my graphics card and Java, both were reported as being corrupted....even if I try them several times.

Something like. Control panel > Administrative tools > Event Viewer.

Do you have an antivirus software installed?

#79 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:15 AM

All I had installed was Malwarebytes. I have the event log up and it has 328 errors under administrative events.

I'm downloading XP now in the hope it might work a little better than windows 7 is with my hardware.

#80 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:27 AM

All I had installed was Malwarebytes. I have the event log up and it has 328 errors under administrative events.

I'm downloading XP now in the hope it might work a little better than windows 7 is with my hardware.

You have an Intel I7... Windows 7 will be 100x better. Do you have the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version? Uninstall Malwarebytes then, and anything else that deals with files when they run, or your network. (You shouldnt do anything until your computer is stable).

For the errors. Look through them and see if you can see anything that looks like a video card issue.

#81 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

I have the 32 bit version installed. Is that the right one?

I'll have a look through...but what are all the other errors?

#82 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:54 AM

I have the 32 bit version installed. Is that the right one?

I'll have a look through...but what are all the other errors?

How am I supposed to know that, I dont have your computer? :p. Just look through the errors, and google them. See if you can fix them or not.

64 bit would be much better for your system, and might even solve some of the issues you are having.

#83 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

I can't find a site that will actually help me with the errors in the event log. The one site I did find that looked to be of use wanted me to subscribe in order to get the answers I needed.

I can't believe how much of a fucking pain in the ass this has been.

#84 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

With the amount of man hours you've put in so far you'd have been far better off just paying a little extra for a pre-built system. :p

#85 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

With the amount of man hours you've put in so far you'd have been far better off just paying a little extra for a pre-built system. :p

Odds are if he went with a prebuilt he would have been stuck with a shitty video card and then to upgrade it (assuming he wants to play games higher than 1024x768) you'd have to void the warranty, buy a new video card and probably a new power supply and probably be unable to overclock.

Oaken, do you know any computer geeks irl? Maybe try calling some repair stores and seeing if they'd help you out with a custom built computer?

#86 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

Nope, don't know any unfortunately. I'm downloading windows 7 again but 64 bit this time....if that doesn't make a difference then I won't have a choice but to take it into a computer store.

#87 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

Odds are if he went with a prebuilt he would have been stuck with a shitty video card and then to upgrade it (assuming he wants to play games higher than 1024x768) you'd have to void the warranty, buy a new video card and probably a new power supply and probably be unable to overclock.

Oaken, do you know any computer geeks irl? Maybe try calling some repair stores and seeing if they'd help you out with a custom built computer?

Or you buy a pre-built system with a decent graphics card and power supply as default. :p There's plenty of places which sell dedicated gaming machines now which aren't too expensive. If you think that he's been working on his computer for about a month now then that extra for the pre-built one is worth it imo.

#88 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

Or you buy a pre-built system with a decent graphics card and power supply as default. :p There's plenty of places which sell dedicated gaming machines now which aren't too expensive. If you think that he's been working on his computer for about a month now then that extra for the pre-built one is worth it imo.

Building rigs is so fucking easy there's no excuse not to. Pure laziness would be the only reason. My friend who doesn't know how to do SHIT with computers, was able to re-build one of my rigs just fine with VERY minimal guidance. Also I've never seen a mid-high end prebuilt that would be just as cheap/good as building your own.

#89 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:59 PM

Building rigs is so fucking easy there's no excuse not to. Pure laziness would be the only reason. My friend who doesn't know how to do SHIT with computers, was able to re-build one of my rigs just fine with VERY minimal guidance. Also I've never seen a mid-high end prebuilt that would be just as cheap/good as building your own.

I agree completely. No idea why Oaken is having such bad luck/a hard time

Or you buy a pre-built system with a decent graphics card and power supply as default.

Those seem pretty rare from what I've seen and overpriced

#90 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

Putting the computer together was the easy part. It turned out my problem was that the HDD was plugged into the wrong sata port. My problem now seems to be the HDD is corrupt for some reason....trying to fix it now.

#91 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Putting the computer together was the easy part. It turned out my problem was that the HDD was plugged into the wrong sata port. My problem now seems to be the HDD is corrupt for some reason....trying to fix it now.

If you have the available connections, try testing the hard drive on a different computer, and if it works you'll know it's not the HDD. Easiest way is to just buy a cheap HDD and plop it in while you wait for your RMA on the other.

#92 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

How could that be an issue? Unless that port is bad, which means you should RMA that motherboard instantly before it dies. Or its just a really crappy motherboard. Because every SATA port is exactly the same... Its a standard.

#93 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:09 AM

How could that be an issue? Unless that port is bad, which means you should RMA that motherboard instantly before it dies. Or its just a really crappy motherboard. Because every SATA port is exactly the same... Its a standard.

Possibly if he was in RAID or something, but I agree, in general that shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like it could possibly be a DOA hard drive, not sure, maybe even a bad motherboard.

#94 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

Possibly if he was in RAID or something, but I agree, in general that shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like it could possibly be a DOA hard drive, not sure, maybe even a bad motherboard.

Its an old hard drive, so most likely its just a bad motherboard :(, especially given that putting it in a different port made it work.

#95 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:41 AM

RDA?

I tried both the old HDD and a brand new HDD and neither of them worked when it came to downloading something. Is there anything I can disable on the motherboard through the BIOS to do with the NIC?

Thanks for the help guys but I finally have the computer kind of stable. I'll keep fiddling with it and see if I can sort everything out.

Cheers for the help iargue, Bryan and Fatal etc :thumbsup:

I do have one other question though and it may seem like a stupid one but I need to make sure I get this right :p. I installed the Fenrir Cooler Fan that I bought and was wondering which way I should have the fan facing? At the moment I have it facing down so that it is aimed at the graphics card to keep that cool (even though it has an onboard fan)....but is this right? I'll be getting a new tower chassis for Christmas that will be more suited to the hardware I have now but for now my old one will have to do.

#96 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

The motherboard you bought was more expensive than mine and you were complaining about money..

#97 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

The motherboard you bought was more expensive than mine and you were complaining about money..

I'm paying it off over 6 months....paying over a period of time is not a problem as I earn more than enough :p. I just didn't have a large sum of money to pay out in one go.

#98 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I bought and was wondering which way I should have the fan facing? At the moment I have it facing down so that it is aimed at the graphics card to keep that cool (even though it has an onboard fan)....but is this right? I'll be getting a new tower chassis for Christmas that will be more suited to the hardware I have now but for now my old one will have to do.

The CPU fan should be exhausting toward wherever your exhaust fans are. Currently it sounds like its exhausting toward the bottom of the case which wouldn't be optimal. If exhaust fans are in back, have the fan blow toward the back. If exhaust is on top, position it so it intakes from the bottom (video card) and exhausts upwards.

#99 Lindor

Lindor
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

Ok, I have windows 7 installed now but I seem to be getting graphical errors. Basically, sometimes the desktop will seem to freeze up. It's not actually frozen because I can still use the mouse etc. It is showing a still shot of the desktop every 10 seconds or so and a little popup appears saying something failed to initiate or something...I can't quite see it because b the time the next still appears it has gone.

Someone mentioned ensuring that the MB onboard graphics is disables....but for one I don't know how to check that and secondly I'm pretty sure there is no onboard graphics. Unless of course they all have some sort of graphics capabilities....help meh please :x3:

I read above and it didn't seem like you have an onboard graphic chipset. To ensure that its turned off, go through your bios and it'll have the option of turning it off. Now usually, for something failed to initiate, its usually a driver problem. Which graphics card do you have? 5770? Reinstall the drivers and see what happens : )

#100 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

I read above and it didn't seem like you have an onboard graphic chipset. To ensure that its turned off, go through your bios and it'll have the option of turning it off. Now usually, for something failed to initiate, its usually a driver problem. Which graphics card do you have? 5770? Reinstall the drivers and see what happens : )

He doesnt have an onboard graphics card. We have already been over this. Thank you for trying to contribute, but please read the entire topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users