Photo

My new computer so far....

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#101 Lindor

Lindor
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

<br />He doesnt have an onboard graphics card. We have already been over this. Thank you for trying to contribute, but please read the entire topic.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't realize there was a page after mine :(

#102 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

Ok people, does anyone know what would cause me to to constantly get .dll error messages. I have had ole32.dll, ati2cqag.dll, atikvmag.dll plus many others. It would seem that something is preventing them from working properly but I can't figure out what it is.

I have contacted the person I bought the Mobo from and I'm sending it back to them unless I can get this sorted.

I ran tests on my RAM last night as that seemed the most likely culprit but Memtest said everything was fine.

#103 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

Ok people, does anyone know what would cause me to to constantly get .dll error messages. I have had ole32.dll, ati2cqag.dll, atikvmag.dll plus many others. It would seem that something is preventing them from working properly but I can't figure out what it is.

I have contacted the person I bought the Mobo from and I'm sending it back to them unless I can get this sorted.

I ran tests on my RAM last night as that seemed the most likely culprit but Memtest said everything was fine.

Yay! You took my advice. If your running a clean install and getting issues. Its a hardware issue. I'm glad your sending it back, and hopefully it will fix your problems.

#104 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

Apparently the Mobo I had was not really for gaming....can someone suggest a board that would be better suited please? Something top of the range if possible.

#105 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

Apparently the Mobo I had was not really for gaming....can someone suggest a board that would be better suited please? Something top of the range if possible.

Your motherboard would do perfectly well for gaming....

#106 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

Your motherboard would do perfectly well for gaming....

I'm a little afraid to get the same one again just in case the problems I have been having were in fact compatability issues.

Someone suggested getting an AMD(?) Mobo as it was more gaming orientated(?)....

#107 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

I'm a little afraid to get the same one again just in case the problems I have been having were in fact compatability issues.

Someone suggested getting an AMD(?) Mobo as it was more gaming orientated(?)....

Fuck that. The Intel i7 is 100x better then anything AMD has out.

#108 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:00 AM

Fuck that. The Intel i7 is 100x better then anything AMD has out.

AMD don't do motherboards? :unsure:

#109 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

AMD don't do motherboards? :unsure:

AMD is a processor company. They make AMD cpu's and the best they have on the market is a 4 core cpu. The i7 has 8 cores....Guess which ones is better? :p

Anyways. If you would like. I shall find you another board.

Asus makes boards meant for gaming, they are reliable but are slightly pricier.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131359 (Easy overclocking too)

The board I have is foxconn, which I have had no issues with at all, it works like a dream and looks sweet.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813186171

And then finally, you can go with a standard producer. They are a known name. MSI.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130227

#110 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

AMD is a processor company. They make AMD cpu's and the best they have on the market is a 4 core cpu. The i7 has 8 cores....Guess which ones is better? :p

Meh, both AMD and Intel are 4-core only at the moment, except Intel's have Hyper-Threading (4 virtual cores + 4 physical cores)

AMD themselves does not make motherboards, instead they have companies like VIA/Nvidia making boards/chipsets for them.

Currently Intel is the way to go for the performance minded (AMD for the budget-minded), and any motherboard should work fine as long as its compatible. The only differences that matter would be their overclockability and features.

#111 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

Meh, both AMD and Intel are 4-core only at the moment, except Intel's have Hyper-Threading (4 virtual cores + 4 physical cores)

AMD themselves does not make motherboards, instead they have companies like VIA/Nvidia making boards/chipsets for them.

Currently Intel is the way to go for the performance minded (AMD for the budget-minded), and any motherboard should work fine as long as its compatible. The only differences that matter would be their overclockability and features.

Even though its only a logical core, it delivers the same performance as if it was a physical. Therefor, I consider it a 8 core system.

#112 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

I'm getting a new chassis for christmas. It's not very exoensive but it will be better than the one I currently have. I was thinking of buying a couple of extra fans to aid with cooling.

Chassis I am getting - http://www.xcase.co....p/case-nzxt.htm

Where would the extra fans go in this chassis?

#113 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

Unless you are going to be overclocking like crazy and watercooling your rig I don't see the point to getting that?

#114 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

Unless you are going to be overclocking like crazy and watercooling your rig I don't see the point to getting that?

Getting the chassis or the extra fans?

#115 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

Chassis. I don't really think heat will be a problem for you but, I'm not really read up on 'modern' components so they might be running hotter now? I'd wait for Fatal and Ants to say their opinion but I think that chassis might be unnecessary

#116 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

Getting the chassis or the extra fans?

Both really. I mean. Chassis would kinda just be for looks. You really dont need extra fans (Exspecially since you have a custom cpu fan). Unless your planing on overclocking your cpu to 6 ghz or something. :p

I am not sure if there are any mounting sets, but if you did get new fans they would go on the mesh parts.

#117 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'm getting the chassis because my current one has the power supply at the top and everything else at the bottom, it's just awkward. I barely had anough length in some of the cables when building it so I figure that has to be putting some uneccessary pressure on the Mobo sockets and the cables themselves.

It also annoys me that I have all these brand new parts in a chassis that is old, filthy and stained from cigarette smoke due to the person who built it not taking care of it :p.

I was thinking of getting the fans simply because then I would have the option to overclock if I wanted to. It would seem I can already do that with the custom fan though so I won't bother.

#118 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

Well, IMO buying the case would be a purely visual thing. Performance wise I doubt you need a new case. Buying a new CPU heatsink would improve your temps / overclocking potential far more (assuming your case has at least SOME air flow). By the looks of the case you selected, it strangely only comes with 1 fan in it (which is the exhaust fan). So it almost seems like buying extra fans would be required on a case like that.

FRONT: 1 x 120mm (Optional)
SIDE: 1 x 120mm (Optional)
TOP: 2 x 140/120mm(Optional)
REAR: 1 x 120mm, 23db/42CFM (included)

So basically you have room to add 4 more fans that should have probably come pre-installed in the first place. Also most cases have their PSU on top, but many newer cases are starting to put it in the bottom for noise reasons (wire management may be a concern too, and a possible benefit to bottom-PSU cases). Personally I've always preferred the PSU up top, but I have 2 cases with it on the bottom.

A truly quality case would most likely come from Antec or Lian Li ;). Another thing to note that is pretty important while picking out cases, is that the NZXT Gamma, is a steel case. Steel = Heavy, does not disperse heat well, etc, but it does have strength. Aluminum is the best case material, as it absorbs/disperses heat very well, very light, more expensive, and generally shows the case is of higher build quality.

#119 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

wow your comp sounds rigged. too bad im stuck with a netbook. fan goes NUTS when i try to run war3. . .

#120 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:43 AM

So Nick, where does your problems currently stand? Did you return the motherboard? Are you looking to buy a new motherboard? I mean I just very recently built my PC and it's running smoothly now so I can most definitely assist you over the phone or what not.

#121 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

Just tring my new RAM to see if that was the problem *crosses fingers*

XP just finshed installing and I got a 'detected new hardware' message to do with the HD audio but I don't have the drivers it is looking for...any idea what may cause that? Is it trying to install the USB ports on the front of the chassis?

I told it to check the mobo installation CD but it got nothing.

#122 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

CD that came with your mobo should have all related drivers :S. Worst case is you download them online. As long as you have internet/display/mouse/keyboard working you should be fine

#123 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

Not sure what is causing this to be honest.

Also, HOLY SHIT I THINK THE NEW RAM I GOT SORTED MY COMPUTER!!!! :x3:
Must have been faulty RAM after all.

#124 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

But it's weird how the RAM was causing corrupt files..

I'm glad it seems to be working now, but do us all a favour, install Windows 7 ;)

#125 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

But it's weird how the RAM was causing corrupt files..

I'm glad it seems to be working now, but do us all a favour, install Windows 7 ;)

I have a pirated copy of windows 7 but I went with XP just to be safe. Can I upgrade from XP to 7?

While I was researching the problem I came across a lot of people saying that their RAM had turned out to be faulty and getting new RAM fixed it. I just figured it couldn't be my RAM because it was new....maybe it just wasn't fully compatible or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users