My new computer so far....

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#126 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

Were you using DDR3 RAM?

Also, you can't upgrade from XP to 7, you can only do a clean installation.

#127 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

Were you using DDR3 RAM?

Also, you can't upgrade from XP to 7, you can only do a clean installation.

Could I add another HDD and put windows 7 on that and then remove XP?

Yeah it was 3 gig of DDR3....I upgraded to 6 gig of DDR3 now. It's Corsair Dominator....and the sticks look like something out of Terminator.

#128 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

You spent so much money, jesus. I have 4gig of DDR3 and that cost me £90!

You could do that for Windows 7, yes :)

Sorry for the late reply, me and the ex were arguing! Dick.

#129 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm going to try and Ebay my other RAM I think :p. It can't be faulty....I mean what are the chances of getting 3 sticks of bad RAM?

Fancy playing a new game Ian? or are you still into Maple?

#130 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Depends what the game is? I may buy the RAM off you, what's the price?

#131 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

How much have you spent on this computer so far? O_o

#132 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Mine totalled close to £800 :p

#133 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

My laptop cost £800 about three years ago so I'm getting my money's worth out of it. :p

#134 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

Less than Ian :p.

Depends what the game is? I may buy the RAM off you, what's the price?

Make me an offer :p. I can't even remember how much I paid for it...somewhere around £100 I think.

Ever heard of Jade Dynasty?...or Perfect World?

#135 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

I have a pirated copy of windows 7 but I went with XP just to be safe. Can I upgrade from XP to 7?

While I was researching the problem I came across a lot of people saying that their RAM had turned out to be faulty and getting new RAM fixed it. I just figured it couldn't be my RAM because it was new....maybe it just wasn't fully compatible or something.

That is so weird. Are you sure that you ran Memtest86 correctly? :p

For the HD Audio issue. Install your service packs :p

Could I add another HDD and put windows 7 on that and then remove XP?

Yeah it was 3 gig of DDR3....I upgraded to 6 gig of DDR3 now. It's Corsair Dominator....and the sticks look like something out of Terminator.

Why dont you just put Windows 7 on your first HDD?

#136 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

That is so weird. Are you sure that you ran Memtest86 correctly? :p

For the HD Audio issue. Install your service packs :p

Why dont you just put Windows 7 on your first HDD?

Only got one HDD in at the moment. I'm installing all the XP updates now so hopefully the audio problem should be sorted soon. Definitely ran Memtest correctly....I even burned Hirems boot disc and checked both HDD etc etc.

Just been playing Borderlands :x3:. I downloaded it in preperation for when I finally got my computer working. It's awesome.

#137 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

Only got one HDD in at the moment. I'm installing all the XP updates now so hopefully the audio problem should be sorted soon. Definitely ran Memtest correctly....I even burned Hirems boot disc and checked both HDD etc etc.

Just been playing Borderlands :x3:. I downloaded it in preperation for when I finally got my computer working. It's awesome.

It got boring for me fast. Didnt even make it through the first playthrough :(. Its the same thing over and over, and the new weapons you can pick up....90% of them suck balls.

#138 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

Borderlands was fun for a bit. I went online, it fucked up my main storyline quest, I ended up somehow advancing like 5 or 6 quests and my save got broken. I can't go into town #2 because it's gated off and my quest demands I go there.
Online sucked. No one wanted to join each others game because I guess they'd have to skip alot of quests so the result was most servers were 1/4. And like 90% of the players were snipers, despite snipers being fairly crappy (whats the point of being a sniper if you can only shoot within 100 yards due to engine limitations. I noticed this in Mass Effect before boss fights, why am I a sniper if I can't kill the clearly evil guy with 1 hit from 500 yards and prevent all kinds of nasty shit from happening)

#139 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

Borderlands was fun for a bit. I went online, it fucked up my main storyline quest, I ended up somehow advancing like 5 or 6 quests and my save got broken. I can't go into town #2 because it's gated off and my quest demands I go there.
Online sucked. No one wanted to join each others game because I guess they'd have to skip alot of quests so the result was most servers were 1/4. And like 90% of the players were snipers, despite snipers being fairly crappy (whats the point of being a sniper if you can only shoot within 100 yards due to engine limitations. I noticed this in Mass Effect before boss fights, why am I a sniper if I can't kill the clearly evil guy with 1 hit from 500 yards and prevent all kinds of nasty shit from happening)

Yeah. I made the same mistake in Mass Effect. I hate games that give sniper rifles a chance to miss. I mean...the difficulty of snipping comes from getting the precision in the first place, and now you going to say that I manage to hit a moving guy in the head at 100 yards, your just taking that shit away from me? Fuck that.

So I swtiched to a pistol guy and used the ult to just rape some serious ass :p.

I enjoyed being the hunter guy though <3 the pet. 90% of people are hunters because of the sniping ultimate !00% shield bypass = WIN. (Its really gay pvp tatic.)

#140 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

I just checked my system specs and it says I only have 3.25gig of RAM....but I have 3 x 2gig installed....is there a reason for this?

#141 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

I just checked my system specs and it says I only have 3.25gig of RAM....but I have 3 x 2gig installed....is there a reason for this?

Do you have 32 bit Windows installed?

#142 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:36 AM

Do you have 32 bit Windows installed?

Yup.

#143 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Yup.

32-bit Windows only supports up to 4GB RAM, if you want to use more you'd have to install a 64-bit version of Windows.

#144 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

32-bit Windows only supports up to 4GB RAM, if you want to use more you'd have to install a 64-bit version of Windows.

Ha :p

Thanks for the info. If that is the case then why does it say 3.25 and not 4?

#145 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

Because it's 3.25GB usable memory so it takes into account any hardware which has reserved some memory too like your graphics card.

#146 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hmm Nick, I dislike to offer. Considering I always go in quite low! Kinda can't buy it this month either due to car tax and insurance needing renewal, which I forgot about. Sorry bud! Otherwise I'd offer £75 for the 4gb :)

#147 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hmm Nick, I dislike to offer. Considering I always go in quite low! Kinda can't buy it this month either due to car tax and insurance needing renewal, which I forgot about. Sorry bud! Otherwise I'd offer £75 for the 4gb :)

Seeing as it's you, SOLD, for £75. There is only 3gig though....I can send it to you and you can pay whenever you can afford it if you like.

#148 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

I'd rather wait until I know I can pay you if that's okay? My memory is crap lately and I am forgetting even the important things. Also is it one 2gig and one 1gig? And I presume it's DDR3?

#149 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

If you have 3 1gb stick, each stick wont be exactly 4gb (Its alot of work to make memory exactly, just like with hard drives) So for each, your getting less then 1gb, and it adds up.

#150 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:44 PM

If you have 3 1gb stick, each stick wont be exactly 4gb (Its alot of work to make memory exactly, just like with hard drives) So for each, your getting less then 1gb, and it adds up.

I have 3 2gig sticks in now...

I'd rather wait until I know I can pay you if that's okay? My memory is crap lately and I am forgetting even the important things. Also is it one 2gig and one 1gig? And I presume it's DDR3?

It's three 1gb sticks and all are DDR3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users