Photo

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

I hate vanity projects and Avatar is James Cameron's vanity project. 500 million budget, 14 years to make.. it should have sucked royally. But nope it was awesome.

We saw the 3d version which I strongly suggest you see it in 3d.

Whats it about? Humans want some rare mineral on this planet Pandora. Problem is there are these sweet natured native American type aliens who live there and they don't take kindly to miners. So humans invent "avatars" clones that are 99% alien 1% human and then humans can mind link with these fake aliens and intermingle with the aliens. But one of the avatars falls in love with the beings and their peaceful ways.

Great movie, great visuals and a must see in 3d.

Edited by chobitz, 18 December 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

Heard about. 500 million is insane. 14 years is insane!

#3 Ashlee

Ashlee
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

I am going to see it tonight in 3D, I have heard nothing but good feedback for it.

James Cameron would want it to be well received, he needs to make back that 500 million along with some profits. 14 years though? Fark that's a long time, I was only 10 fourteen years ago. That was back when Gangsta's Paradise was a number 1 hit.

Anyway, hope it's good!

#4 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

I saw it in 3D on wednesday and it was visually stunning stunning without the story suffering because of it. I walked out the cinema with a huge grin on my face and told my wife that it was quite possibly the greatest movie I have ever seen.

It was certainly the best of the 45+ movies I have seen this year at the cinema.

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:33 AM

Doesn't seem like anything I care to see.

Also: http://www.cracked.c...y-familiar.html

#6 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

Then you are missing out. Even if you don't like the story the visuals are worth paying for. This is the first film I have ever seen that manages to create a whole world that looks completely real...none of it looks fake because the CGI is so good. When you add the 3D to that then it really becomes something special.

Also: http://www.cracked.c...y-familiar.html

Also, the guy in that video is an idiot. I turned the video off halfway through because he failed to make a single good point. There is nothing wrong with repeating old ideas if you are going to do them better than ever before.

#7 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

it only came out yesterday for us but the theatre is always packed and I do not believe our cinema has 3D so i'll have to drive an hour away and probably go see it tomorrow with my friends and my gf. I hope it is amazing, it looks cool, story is generically awesome and I love 3D movies. I even liked Coraline!

It sucks that my gf buggered her left eye so it wont focus fully now so the 3D isn't as good for her :(

#8 Chepyo

Chepyo
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

I saw it last night, it's easily the best film I've seen all year.

#9 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

Then you are missing out. Even if you don't like the story the visuals are worth paying for. This is the first film I have ever seen that manages to create a whole world that looks completely real...none of it looks fake because the CGI is so good. When you add the 3D to that then it really becomes something special.

The alien animals seem very realistic didn't they? I loved the 3D aspect of the film especially the bugs and the Tree of Life seeds. They seemed to actually float to me in my seat. The best 3D I ever saw in a movie.

Did you know Cameron actually hired a linguist to invent a whole real language for the aliens? Supposedly EVERY word they spoke could be translated. Those details is what made the movie. He even had biologists figure out each animal's life cycle, where in the food chain they would be etc..

I suspect the book the doctor character (sigourney weaver) wrote about the aliens and pandora will eventually be released. He did too much work on the world to not put it down in a book.

#10 Lindor

Lindor
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

My friend really wanted to go see it, i'll go with him and check it out. Seems like a good movie judging from all of your comments on it :)

#11 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

Also, the guy in that video is a fucking idiot.

Yes, because a satirical video disagreeing with you makes him so.

#12 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

Yes, because a satirical video disagreeing with you makes him so.

It has nothing to do with him disagreeing with me. I think he is an idiot....

Also, to be disagreeing with me he would have needed to say the movie was bad....which he didn't.

#13 Heaven

Heaven
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

I want to go this week :)
Is a awesome Story x3

yay, and i watch it in German :D

#14 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

I feel the same. I saw Mighty King James Cameron on Conan. Wow, he really loves himself. I think he said "these characters LOOK COMPLETELY REAL. In a world that looks COMPLETELY REAL." about 70 times before showing a clip of an obviously CGI world with obviously CGI characters whose lips didn't fit their voices. Maybe you have to see it in 3D to see HOW REAL IT IS, but eh. Maybe what looks REAL is just a matter of opinion. I feel like the whole 3D thing is a bit gimicky and I don't think James Cameron's movies are timeless. In 10 years this movie is going to look very dated.

#15 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

In 10 years this movie is going to look very dated.

Everything will :/. I think you will find he was talking about the story rather than the CGI etc.

I think you need to have a good imgination to appreciate how real this film looks. I have friends who have seen it but think that the Na'vi (humanoid alien race in film) look fake. The fact is, they don't. The problem is that my friends can't get their heads around the fact they are shaped like humans, move like humans etc but don't look like humans....and that therefore makes them look fake. The same goes for the world of Pandora....just because it doesn't look like Earth doesn't mean it looks fake :p.

#16 vendetta.inc

vendetta.inc
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

Such a great film. I didn't expect anything less, coming from Cameron though.

#17 Ashlee

Ashlee
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

I saw it last night and was very impressed. I loved the story. It's only obviously CGI because you know it is, we all know blue humanoid creatures don't exist but if you look past that you can believe in the story and in the world. I really enjoyed it and would see it again. I definitely recommend watching it in 3D if you can.

#18 kbbbb

kbbbb
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:55 AM

I hate vanity projects and Avatar is James Cameron's vanity project. 500 million budget, 14 years to make.. it should have sucked royally. But nope it was awesome.

How is it made of CGI if it took 14 years to make? Or, I guess he's being doing other work on the side since? What did he do beside Jurassic Park?

#19 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:14 AM

How is it made of CGI if it took 14 years to make? Or, I guess he's being doing other work on the side since? What did he do beside Jurassic Park?

He made Terminator and Titanic among others.

The 14 years includes developing the story and waiting for the technology to actually make the film the way he wanted to. Also, I don't think Cameron was involved with Jurassic Park....Spielberg made that movie.

#20 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

I saw an interview that Sigourney Weaver did that said Cameron INVENTED and has the patent on the new cgi and 3D programs they used in the film. Its some new fangled motion capture camera the actors wear less then a foot from their face on some kind of halo on their head. While filming it has a basic mock up of their na'vi (alien) counterpart on the monitor which mirrored their facial expressions perfectly.

She said it took 8 years of filming alone..

#21 kbbbb

kbbbb
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

He made Terminator and Titanic among others.

The 14 years includes developing the story and waiting for the technology to actually make the film the way he wanted to. Also, I don't think Cameron was involved with Jurassic Park....Spielberg made that movie.

My bad. I'm not so good on action movies.

I saw an interview that Sigourney Weaver did that said Cameron INVENTED and has the patent on the new cgi and 3D programs they used in the film...

She said it took 8 years of filming alone..

The fact that it took so long and he built the tech himself says a lot about him as a director and an artist. I'm glad people don't churn stuff out standard 3d offerings, like the far too many kids films that have been coming from most big film companies.

Disney turned animation into an art...I'm not convinced that 3d has found it's art form yet, except for the Shrek films.

Back on the topic of CGI, for me it still hasn't reached the standard of good-old "special effects" with the real humans being cult in. A lot of what has been coming out the past ten years has looked overly smooth or pixely or just plain fake. One of the reasons I hate Die Another Day is the flakey CGI used in it, and flakey CGI to me makes like the film company cut corners and do things on the cheap. The ice did NOT look real. The key advantage of film as a medium is that it can have in theory unlimited or a huge number of pixels, of which are indistinguishable by the human eye; the key disadvantage of computer generation is that unless one is doing vectors, there is a limitation on dimensions and complexity of the project, in part caused by the processing power of computers of the day.

I'm far from sold on CGI, but it Avatar has nailed it or got closer.

#22 BellaBleu

BellaBleu
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

I just came back back from watching it...it was TOTALLY worth the one-hour wait in the snow :D

#23 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

wait it took him 14 years to make the movie? how?!
i want to see it, looks awesome!

#24 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:37 AM

wait it took him 14 years to make the movie? how?!
i want to see it, looks awesome!

The technology just wasn't there for what he wanted to do. This isn't your mama's 3D nor Pixel type CGI...

#25 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

I refuse to see it and stroke Cameron's epeen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users