Photo

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#26 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

I think the budget is like $200-$300 million; pretty sure it's not 500. Anyways my friends want to see so whenever they come up with a date I'll watch it. Looks really good though =]

#27 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

I think the budget is like $200-$300 million; pretty sure it's not 500. Anyways my friends want to see so whenever they come up with a date I'll watch it. Looks really good though =]

Budget $237,000,000

#28 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

I refuse to see it and stroke Cameron's epeen.

That is a stupid reason for not going to see a movie.

#29 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:01 AM

That is a stupid reason for not going to see a movie.

Why? I think he is a pretentious asshole and I don't feel like supporting that.

#30 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

i watched it! the plot...not that great , basically futuristic pocahontas.
the graphics were NICE though! i totally recommend this movie for anyone who loves awesome graphics
3D is suuuuhweeet!

#31 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

i watched it! the plot...not that great , basically futuristic pocahontas.
the graphics were NICE though! i totally recommend this movie for anyone who loves awesome graphics
3D is suuuuhweeet!

See, this is why I don't want to see it. Graphics do not a movie make, no matter how stunning. If I wanted to watch Pocahontas, I'd watch the Disney version (which also has stunning graphics, and singing to boot). Gimme...I dunno, a PLOT any day.

#32 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

well, some people only watch movie for a good plot or a good laugh, none of which avatar has, but some people also enjoy a movie for its visuals and special effects. it depends what type of theater-goer you are. to me, the whole point of going to see a movie in theater is for the visuals, cause if i want a good plot or laugh, i don't have to spend the money watching it on a big screen when i can rent or download it and watch on my tv at home.

#33 PeonYourLawn

PeonYourLawn
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

i heard it was 300 million and 12 years to make LOL

wow 500 and 14 years is a totally different stoy

i saw it in real3d, but i personanly wanted to watch imax

i heard it was 300 million and 12 years to make LOL

wow 500 and 14 years is a totally different stoy

i saw it in real3d, but i personanly wanted to watch imax

#34 Ashlee

Ashlee
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

I'm not sure where I read it was $500 million, haha... maybe it was here. Either way, $200 million is still a lot!

#35 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

From the CNN articles I have read and such, it's around the 300m mark. And it's been in development for 14 years, since he finished Titanic, although how much of that was actually spent working on the film itself instead of the technology is anyone's guess.

#36 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

See, this is why I don't want to see it. Graphics do not a movie make, no matter how stunning. If I wanted to watch Pocahontas, I'd watch the Disney version (which also has stunning graphics, and singing to boot). Gimme...I dunno, a PLOT any day.

So because one person said the plot was not that great it therefore means it's not worth watching? Go watch it for yourself and then decide. Gimme...I dunno, your own opinion (having seen it) any day.

Also, nobody goes to see a movie because they are 'supporting the director', so I say again, that is a crap reason for not going to see a movie.

#37 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

Also, nobody goes to see a movie because they are 'supporting the director', so I say again, that is a crap reason for not going to see a movie.

I disagree.
Say I don't like Spielburg movies, nor do I care for him personally. Maybe I think he's overrated, or maybe I just think he's an ugly douche, either way I don't like him. I think disliking him is a perfectly good reason NOT TO SEE HIS MOVIES.
Say I don't like Annie Lebowitz. How much sense would it make for me to go to an exhibit featuring her photography?
Say I don't like chocolate. Is it a crap reason to not eat chocolate cake at my cousin's birthday party?

Now lets say someone thinks the comercials for Avatar look stupid. Or that someone has an adversion to Michelle Rodriguez. Or they think James Cameron is a mega dickwad. How are these crap reasons to NOT see a movie? I think the crap is being told we should automatically be in love with something and go spend money on it. Just because a lot of people thinks this movie is AMAZING and ran out to see it first chance they got, doesn't mean everyone is going to orgasm at the sight of blue titties.

p.s. I've gone to see Tarantino movies to "support" him, because I generally enjoy his work. Same with Tim Burton.

#38 Black Flame

Black Flame
  • 6063 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:50 PM

I have to say Avatar is one of the best and most beautiful movies I've ever seen. The plot at parts was slightly weak, but it wasn't bad at all in my opinion. Even if the CGI wasn't as innovative (I quite literally couldn't tell the difference between CGI and what was real when they were put together at certain parts of the movie. The CGI is just that good), I would have enjoyed the movie plot-wise. However, the work they put into the visuals definitely made it a better movie by far.

Oh and that wikipedia budget projection is definitely way off. I heard it took about $300 million to make, but the global marketing of the movie made the budget larger as well. No one has really confirmed the exact budget of the movie with global marketing included, but I saw an interview with James Cameron where he said it was under $500 million. I would bet it's close to $500 million though.

#39 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

p.s. I've gone to see Tarantino movies to "support" him, because I generally enjoy his work. Same with Tim Burton.

...so you went because you like their movies NOT because you were supporting the director.

You can't decide whether or not a movie is bad based on your opinion of the director. I love Tarrantino....but that doesn't mean every film he has made is a good one. You have to see a movie first before deciding if it is good or not.

Never listen to the critics. You might just miss out on something.

Now lets say someone thinks the comercials for Avatar look stupid. Or that someone has an adversion to Michelle Rodriguez. Or they think James Cameron is a mega dickwad. How are these crap reasons to NOT see a movie?

I might think you were a dick (for the record, I don't) but that wouldn't stop me coming into a topic just because you had posted in it. There is a lot more to a film than a single actor/actress that you may not like.

I couldn't care less if people like or dislike this movie...but you can't pass opinion on something you haven't seen.

#40 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:06 AM

Several people whose opinions I trust have seen it and based on their perceptions, I can tell that I will most likely not enjoy the movie. I see no reason to waste $10 on a theater ticket to a movie I do not wish to see and most likely will not enjoy when there are two other movies in theaters right now that I do want to see and most likely will enjoy. (For the record, those movies are The Princess and the Frog and Nine)

#41 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

I might think you were a dick (for the record, I don't) but that wouldn't stop me coming into a topic just because you had posted in it. There is a lot more to a film than a single actor/actress that you may not like.

I couldn't care less if people like or dislike this movie...but you can't pass opinion on something you haven't seen.

That made me lol.
Fair enough.

#42 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

Sure I can. And I am. /argument

#43 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

Sure I can. And I am. /argument

...and that makes you a fool. You are basing your opinion on something you were told...kind of sad really.

#44 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

...and that makes you a fool. You are basing your opinion on something you were told...kind of sad really.

I know how my friends' tastes line up to mine, and I respect their opinion. If they say that I probably wouldn't like it, I probably won't. The advertisements do not interest me, and I dislike James Cameron.
We base opinions on what we are told all the time, as a general rule.

#45 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

We base opinions on what we are told all the time, as a general rule.

Do we? O_o

If you say so.

#46 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

Went to see it despite misgivings. Left halfway through.

#47 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

Do we? O_o

If you say so.

Sure, why do you think there are so many different reviews of movies and music and books and games? If a friend tells us that such-and-such product is awesome, aren't we more likely to try it next time?

#48 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Sure, why do you think there are so many different reviews of movies and music and books and games?

There are lots of different reviews for movies, music, games etc because people make their OWN opinion....if people listened to each others opinions all the time without experiencing these things for themselves then every review would be the same.

If a friend tells us that such-and-such product is awesome, aren't we more likely to try it next time?

You might but I personally like to decide for myself, as I'm sure a lot of other people do. I take the opinion of my peers on board but I don't make it my own opinion without experienceing it myself.

#49 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

I agree with oaken. do not have an opinion until you see it because your friends who hate the show are probably mentally retarded and love world of warcraft.

The movie was great. Storyline was awesome and suited the movie. Visuals were amazing first of it's kind and has me more anxious for future movies then this one itself.

Sure they could have changed stuff. The army was kinda retarded. The fact that they showed hesitation in the mind of the guy who was making decisions to move ahead was stupid. The army colonel was ridiculous but it didnt ruin the entire movie. They could have improved it in so many ways but that does not make it an amazing movie. I do not see many other good movies this year and nobody bothers to nit pick them because nobody really likes them.

Loved the movie so much and everyone I have talked to, who has seen it not online, loved it and wants to go see it again. I'm sure people complained when they made the first color motion picture, or the first computer animated movie, but that does not make them bad movies.

i GUESS my point is that dont diss the movie. This is the start of some amazing movies to come. And I do not mean to pick on wow players because I was once one and imagine if they used the technology from this movie to make the wow movie..that could end up being one hell of a movie.

Edited by unworthy, 29 December 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#50 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

mentally retarded and love world of warcraft.

I stopped reading there, what the fuck does WoW have to do with Avatar?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users