Quantcast

Photo

How can people still think evolution is a myth?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

Proven over and over by science yet many people (mainly extremely religious types) believe its a myth ... why?

We ARE animals. We aren't vegitables or minerals so unless we are aliens what else can we be? Animals evolve...

FACT: humans are scientifically classified as HOMO SAPIANS.. the genus (sapian) means ape family. Chimps have 99% of the same genes we have.

Yeah yeah I know the old chestnet "But chobitz where are these mythical monkeys we descended from?" Dogs evolved from wolves and yet wolves exist. Its a strawman arguement..

#2 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Ok well if im from monkies how come I dont even like bananas all that much?

#3 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

IF WE EVOLVED FROM MONKIES WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKIES

#4 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Why does my dog like carrots? Wolves didn't eat them ...

Because you don't like bananas isn't a good enough argument. So why do we have a tail bone huh? Babies sometimes are even born with tails..

IF WE EVOLVED FROM MONKIES WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKIES

Again.. dogs evolved from wolves and wolves still exist right?

#5 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

Why does my dog like carrots? Wolves didn't eat them ...

Because you don't like bananas isn't a good enough argument. So why do we have a tail bone huh? Babies sometimes are even born with tails..

All mammals have tails some time in their life lol!!! noob

Some wolves were domesticated into dogs they didnt evolve...duh

PS ur dog likes carrots because he has rabbies.

#6 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

Your logic is flawed.

#7 Atmosphere

Atmosphere
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

SHUN THE ATHEIST!

ATHEIST NOOOOOOB!

#8 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

Proven over and over by science yet many people (mainly extremely religious types) believe its a myth ... why?

Its Intelligent Design (God Designed us to evolve) vs Evolution(We evolve because of nature only).

Most christens dont deny the ideal of evolution, just that god didn't play a role in it.

We ARE animals. We aren't vegitables or minerals so unless we are aliens what else can we be? Animals evolve...

Epically fail arguement there. According to our identification scheme, all aliens are animals as well...

FACT: humans are scientifically classified as HOMO SAPIANS.. the genus (sapian) means ape family. Chimps have 99% of the same genes we have.

No.

Our Genus is Homo. which in latin means, "wise man" or "knowing man. Now. We are in the family, which is a border deffination, which can we, "large, tailless primates" And this is no where near a fact at all... This "scientifically classified" part is simply a system we made up to help identify spiecies based upon characteristics. There are hundreds of cases where a species doesnt fit in a "class" but are placed there anyways because its "Close enough". I hope this might help you better pass your science class. The classification sceme is based purely on looks and habits, not based upon genes or intelligence.

Yeah yeah I know the old chestnet "But chobitz where are these mythical monkeys we descended from?" Dogs evolved from wolves and yet wolves exist. Its a strawman arguement..

Another false fact from you. Perhaps we should sit down so I can sort out all of the lies that you have been fed, and you can be better educated. Either that, or joe (Sweeney) can do that. He loves telling people they are wrong :p.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs

Evolution didnt play a role in this. We specifically breed the the wolves to be how we wanted them to be. They where domesticated, they didnt evolve naturally (Trust me... A wolf would kick your dogs ass all day long)

dogs evolved from wolves and wolves still exist right?

I also forgot.

According to your logic, you would have disproven evolution. Since evolution means they evolve based upon need, if wolves did not need to evolve into dogs, but they still did, it wouldnt be Evolution. It would be something different (Like God having fun!)

#9 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

Aliens totaly get my vote.....for sure. Look at all the shit that happend in the aztec/myan history...

#10 beanso

beanso
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Because people are fucking idiots.

Also - evolution hasn't been proven outright, but there is a huge body of evidence that points to it being the correct theory.

#11 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

Look. Evolution:

Biological Definition:

Change in allele frequencies in a population over time.

So if humans evolved from monkeys, why are their still monkeys?

As time progressed, mutations occur in an animals DNA. These mutations change the way something looks. If you read Darwin's work, you will read that he took a group of pigeons, and selectively bred them. Over time, certain features became more known. He selected pigeons with small bumps on their beaks and mated them with pigeons that also have small bumps. Those produced offspring with slightly bigger bumps. He took those offspring, mated them, and continued until he "created" or produced a pigeon with a fairly large bump on their beak.

So, how does that relate to humans and monkeys? As mutations in monkeys surfaced, they became unable to reproduce with another (because of either behavioral or temporal isolations). This SEPERATED the monkeys into TWO SPECIES. It just so happened that one of these species became more apt to their surroundings, started walking, and OVER TIME, became humans.

I just took a class over this. I know how evolution worked, why scientists believe it, HOW it's possible, and HOW we are all related. So please. Feel free to ask questions. I'll gladly answer.

#12 kbbbb

kbbbb
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

Its Intelligent Design (God Designed us to evolve) vs Evolution(We evolve because of nature only).

Most christens dont deny the ideal of evolution, just that god didn't play a role in it.

I agree with this statement, but not about Gods' role. God allowed things to run their course, but he designed what was there when life started, knowing how it would evolve. Religious people by and large don't ignore science; they try to work out how it fits in with their belief models.

In response to the first post- it's hard to know who doesn't believe specifically in relation to the topic, but my guess is the far Christian right of the US. In response to them, I have a great many problems with their logic and the people who represent them in politics (largely part of the Republican party) and cannot justify their arguments. Teaching creationism in schools is wrong, so is forcing students to pray in PUBLIC schools. Section 116 of the Australian constitution guarantees there won't be a one single state funded religion; should this have been adopted in the US, it would probably have prevented the special interest groups from lobbying for the aforementioned programs. Should a religious parent want their child in a religious school, then that's their choice and right, however, and the state shouldn't intervene in these schools unless the school is doing the unlawful, discriminatory or contrary to education standards (ie Scientology schools).

#13 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

I agree with this statement, but not about Gods' role. God allowed things to run their course, but he designed what was there when life started, knowing how it would evolve. Religious people by and large don't ignore science; they try to work out how it fits in with their belief models.

In response to the first post- it's hard to know who doesn't believe specifically in relation to the topic, but my guess is the far Christian right of the US. In response to them, I have a great many problems with their logic and the people who represent them in politics (largely part of the Republican party) and cannot justify their arguments. Teaching creationism in schools is wrong, so is forcing students to pray in PUBLIC schools. Section 116 of the Australian constitution guarantees there won't be a one single state funded religion; should this have been adopted in the US, it would probably have prevented the special interest groups from lobbying for the aforementioned programs. Should a religious parent want their child in a religious school, then that's their choice and right, however, and the state shouldn't intervene in these schools unless the school is doing the unlawful, discriminatory or contrary to education standards (IE Scientology schools).

Actually we do have an amendment to our constitution that says freedom for and from religion. Basically unlike what the Christian right wants people to think the USA is a secular country.

And yes I believe that if a parent wants to have their child taught certain creeds like ID send them to a Christian academy or a catholic school etc.

ID is only a way to try to force religion into schools.

My husband is a recovering catholic Posted Image he went to catholic schools. It wasn't till he was out of school that he learned the truth about ID, that the founding fathers of the country wasn't Christian and that this country is by law a secular nation.

Sorry to go on a rant but I DESPISE the Christian right (note I didn't say all Christians). They are destroying the USA, making us fools on a global level. They are extremists just looking for a reason and a fuse to be lit to turn into the taliban.

BTW I am NOT atheist. Far from it. I just do not believe or endorse organized religion. Hence my sig.. ID is a perfect example of why I will never belong or endorse one.

Edited by chobitz, 21 December 2009 - 08:25 PM.

#14 Vexage

Vexage
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I'm tired of this argument. The facts that point toward evolution are overwhelming. Of course evolution occurs, we've seen it happen. I feel like there is more evidence for evolution than creationism, so that should solve the problem right there. Of course you are always going to run into people who are scared of things they don't understand fully and then can fall back on faith to make sense of it.

#15 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

How are apes still around? We evolve to fit our surroundings. Look at the different types of races. People have black skin so they don't get burned at the equator, something people in Greenland and England didn't need as much. I'll ask you this, why do single cell organisms still exist? That would be because everything evolved from that. Mutations later we have humans, mutations later we have ants, mutations later we have giraffes (who by the way evolved to have longer necks so they could drink water and eat the leaves off tall trees. Owls evolved to have a neck that could see over 180 degrees so they could better protect themselves at night from predators. Could you imagine if fish didn't evolve to have fins? or gills? or hell scales? Look at how the skulls looked of older humans (here). Kind of different then (this). How can you explain that when Darwin spent all that time on the islands only to discover the birds were different depending on the different parts of the island they were on. There beak, feathers, and many other features evolved to better suit the area.

A good way that I use that people user stand, and its partially right, is think of every evolution as a roll of the dice. If its a 1 or 6 then it survives. And only the 1's and 6's survive. For example giraffes, all the short next giraffes would never survive as they would lose out on all that food that they couldn't reach. So the long necks survive. The long necks reproduce together and the DNA sticks around. Thus, survival of the fittest.

And the ever so small chance all of this random and has no correlation to who survives. Well then I apologize to future scientists who disprove this.

#16 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

I'm tired of this argument. The facts that point toward evolution are overwhelming. Of course evolution occurs, we've seen it happen. I feel like there is more evidence for evolution than creationism, so that should solve the problem right there. Of course you are always going to run into people who are scared of things they don't understand fully and then can fall back on faith to make sense of it.

Wow like the world isn't flat and the sun doesn't spin around earth? Both ideas believed as strong as ID at one time..

#17 xZel

xZel
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

i agree, banana's suck.

#18 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

i agree, banana's suck.

Thank god dogs didn't evolve and still want to kill humans

#19 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

How many of these threads have we had? Anyone keeping count?

#20 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

Chimps have 99% of the same genes we have.

Monkeys are really cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfUhOckFAA

People will believe whatever they want to.
There are people who really do believe humans came from aliens.
http://en.wikipedia....ient_astronauts
Needless to say, there are people who aren't much smarter than monkeys. That's how they can believe or disbelieve anything.

#21 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Chobitz arguments for evolution, and against organized religion are kinda very very far off from fact, and extremely ignorant :(. But to stick to the topic.

There is no proof that evolution is actually real. We have no documented proof of an animal evolving to another species. We have proof of evolution within the same species (Better hoofs. Tails. Bigger Bumbs, Color change. etc). But we dont even have a partial change in a species to prove that evolution is real. All we have is perfectly functioning animals.

Furthure more, the way that we re-produce makes evolution seem even more impossible. During meiosis our cells repeatedly re-arrange the dna structure (so we can mutate easier I guess). But given the amount of time that it happens, the chances of two mutants in the same generation would seem impossible, and give that, how would the mutation continue on?

People will believe whatever they want to.
There are people who really do believe humans came from aliens.
http://en.wikipedia....ient_astronauts
Needless to say, there are people who aren't much smarter than monkeys. That's how they can believe or disbelieve anything.

there is a theory that earth isnt solid and that under the crust is another earth (Living on the opposite side of the crust) and the core is a sun for them.

#22 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

There is no proof that evolution is actually real. We have no documented proof of an animal evolving to another species. We have proof of evolution within the same species (Better hoofs. Tails. Bigger Bumbs, Color change. etc). But we dont even have a partial change in a species to prove that evolution is real. All we have is perfectly functioning animals.

We'll have our proof in roughly 10 million years when we have spock ears.

#23 kbbbb

kbbbb
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

Actually we do have an amendment to our constitution that says freedom for and from religion. Basically unlike what the Christian right wants people to think the USA is a secular country.

And yes I believe that if a parent wants to have their child taught certain creeds like ID send them to a Christian academy or a catholic school etc.

ID is only a way to try to force religion into schools.

My husband is a recovering catholic Posted Image he went to catholic schools. It wasn't till he was out of school that he learned the truth about ID, that the founding fathers of the country wasn't Christian and that this country is by law a secular nation.

Sorry to go on a rant but I DESPISE the Christian right (note I didn't say all Christians). They are destroying the USA, making us fools on a global level. They are extremists just looking for a reason and a fuse to be lit to turn into the taliban.

BTW I am NOT atheist. Far from it. I just do not believe or endorse organized religion. Hence my sig.. ID is a perfect example of why I will never belong or endorse one.

Personally I don't think one line is a rant. It's an opinion, and relevant to the topic, given the impact that group have on the teachings of evolution in schools. Should evolution not be taught in schools, or not taught properly in schools, it could leave a generation with misinformation. It's already happening to sex ed- HIV is higher in the US than the UK, Canada and Aus because of a lack of condom use and/or lack of knowledge on reproductive functions. Studies show the greater people know on the subject of sex, the more informer decisions they make about their lives. Understanding evolution may not impact a person on a day-to-day level but is important at the moment- ie climate change debate.

I'm glad to hear the US Constitution enshrines freedom of religion and a secular state. I'm not that familiar with it. But I do know a lot about the far rights' attempts to derail it about the above issues.

Personally, I oppose with the idea that Catholic schools should not have to teach evolution. I think they should (I mentioned something before about meeting educational standards- that's what I meant). But if they want to teach creationism, they should have the right to. As Muslim schools have the right to teach what's in the Qu'ran about women having to marry Muslim men and how they should wear headscarves. It could be a little different in Australia, as I don't know how school funding models opperate in the US. In Aus all schools are funded according to the number of students, and a whole lot of other criterion. This includes private schools. This would therefore give the government more weight in making the religious schools teach a standard curriculum- including evolution.

#24 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

We'll have our proof in roughly 10 million years when we have spock ears.

Spock is an alien....

And also. What if we dont have proof in a million years. Can I laugh at you? :)

Understanding evolution may not impact a person on a day-to-day level but is important at the moment- ie climate change debate.

Wow...Thats retarded...Evolution is the cause of Global Warming? I knew it! Every time a species evolves it raises the temperature of earth by 10 degress! Solution? Extermination of all speciies! *Cocks Shotgun*

I'm glad to hear the US Constitution enshrines freedom of religion and a secular state. I'm not that familiar with it. But I do know a lot about the far rights' attempts to derail it about the above issues.

That pretty sad. Where you never taught world history? Considering the US was the first to have free religion/speech/and press...I would think that would be important in any country :(

Personally, I oppose with the idea that Catholic schools should not have to teach evolution. I think they should (I mentioned something before about meeting educational standards- that's what I meant). But if they want to teach creationism, they should have the right to. As Muslim schools have the right to teach what's in the Qu'ran about women having to marry Muslim men and how they should wear headscarves. It could be a little different in Australia, as I don't know how school funding models opperate in the US. In Aus all schools are funded according to the number of students, and a whole lot of other criterion. This includes private schools. This would therefore give the government more weight in making the religious schools teach a standard curriculum- including evolution.

So your telling me that we should force people to teach their kids what they dont want them to learn? The United States is not about FORCING people do what other people want (Through. Everyone tries :p). Its not easy balancing both freedom of religion when everyone hates each other, but the government used to do a good job (Until the FUCKING FAITH CABINET was formed. Now the government is supporting religion. Shame on bush, and shame on obama for extending it)

#25 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

Yup, you have permission to laugh in 10 million years if we don't have proof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users