Photo

new computer question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

I am vaguely looking into buying a new computer and the main thing I was noticing is that some people are buying dual cores still instead of quad cores.

As far as I know many programs and games do not really use the quad core to its full advantage so in some cases a dual core with faster cores might be better?

I'm only looking at spending like 1K tops I do not really game but I might want to play some new games in the near future but to me it doesn't matter if they have perfect graphics or not, i'm fine with scaling down the graphics for better fps. Maybe using some media software although I do not thing that it would be a big factor.

Just wondering for the money would it be better to get a lower grade quad core or a high grade core 2 duo.

any opinions?

#2 SackSlapped

SackSlapped
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

I've been thinking about getting a mac mini. Has 2g ram, dual cores also. Might want to look at some reviews and see if it's right for you.

#3 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

mac mini for video games?

I don't think so

Plus it'll be overpriced

#4 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

i'm mainly wondering between the core 2 duo/core 2 quad I would be making my own computer like picking all the parts in it. That is why the video card doesn't matter because that will be purchased depending on what i need when I need it.

#5 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

i'm mainly wondering between the core 2 duo/core 2 quad I would be making my own computer like picking all the parts in it. That is why the video card doesn't matter because that will be purchased depending on what i need when I need it.

Well. The I7 is a great choice for being freaking badass. It has 4 logical (physical) cores, and each of those perform two possible action at a time. Making it an 8 core processor. Thats alot of processing power :p.

When using Windows 7, all programs that you use will automatically use all cores (This is because windows itself handles the opimization, rather then the program having to). So a dual core processor with faster cores doesnt compare to a quad core processor. Most people buy it simple for the price (Which isnt much of a difference).

My current computer only cost me 948.90, and it is a 7.8 of 7.9 on the Windows Hardware Rating, but thats because I built it myself. Even if you cant build it yourself, you can still get some pretty cheap ones. For instance, this computer right here will kick any mac's ass at anything and everything (And its cheaper then most of them). Its a pretty badass system :).

Regardless of if your buying prebuilt, or making your own, use Newegg.com. It will save you money!

#6 SackSlapped

SackSlapped
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

You say it will kick any macs ass at anything and everything. It is true that it will kick a lot of macs asses, but macs kick a lot of pc's asses too. And for the record, I don't think a windows 7 64bit can support up to 32gb of ram, like a mac pro can. Just throwin that out there;)

Edit: and yes, pcs are probably cheaper.

Edited by SackSlapped, 18 January 2010 - 12:11 PM.

#7 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

You say it will kick any macs ass at anything and everything. It is true that it will kick a lot of macs asses, but macs kick a lot of pc's asses too. And for the record, I don't think a windows 7 64bit can support up to 32gb of ram, like a mac pro can. Just throwin that out there;)

Edit: and yes, pcs are probably cheaper.

64-bit Windows 7 supports around 192GB max ram I believe but it depends on the version which you get (Home Premium supports up to 16GB I think, all the others above that are 192GB).

#8 SackSlapped

SackSlapped
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

Can you even fit that much ram into one pc? xD

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Can you even fit that much ram into one pc? xD

Yeah (several slots of 16GB), but the vast majority of people don't need anywhere near that amount of memory. :p You'd only need that much if you were, for example, working with huge datasets and things like that which are massively memory intensive. Some Dells actually let you customise close to that amount but it'll cost a few dozen k. :p

#10 SackSlapped

SackSlapped
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hmm.. Looks like I haven't done my research. I don't use vista or 7, so I don't really pay attention to those. I'm using probably the slowest computer here.. Celeron 2.40ghz 1g ram:P Any computer will be faster for me, and mac looks like the cheapest and most durable, so that's what I've done my research on:P

#11 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hmm.. Looks like I haven't done my research. I don't use vista or 7, so I don't really pay attention to those. I'm using probably the slowest computer here.. Celeron 2.40ghz 1g ram:P Any computer will be faster for me, and mac looks like the cheapest and most durable, so that's what I've done my research on:P

This means that you have done absolutely Zero research then...

Any mac based computer will be atleast 2x the price of a windows based computer of the same specifications. Macs are extremely overpriced. Both of the computers run on identical hardware (Both are ordered in bulk from intel. Nothing special). Macs offer no advantage at all over buying a windows computer.

Further more. Windows XP 64bit offers up to 128gigabytes of ram.

I really really suggest that you know at least a little bit of what your talking about before you try and help people.

#12 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Wow this thread is sickening to me. Seriously SackSlapped, you don't seem to know ANYTHING whatsoever from what you've displayed so far, so it may be best for you to stop helping people concerning computer hardware.

1. Mac's are about 9000x times more expensive, use proprietary hardware, very hard/expensive to upgrade, not good for gaming, etc

2. If building a PC (which I recommend), an Intel i7 920 would be the best buy right now. Very fast, price isnt bad, highly overclockable, etc. I'd recommend going quad core no matter what though as all newer games are starting to have quad core support, some programs are adding support for multicore, and overall it's just smoother in Windows and is more future proof.

3. 4GB is what I'd recommend for ram, no need for more than that unless you have special requirements of some kind (like you'll be using one specific program that needs a HUGE amount of ram)

4. Remember, video cards are what make the largest difference in performance when it comes to gaming. Getting a more expensive video card and a cheaper CPU would be better than a expensive CPU / cheap video card (for gaming)

Also this isn't entirely true:

So a dual core processor with faster cores doesnt compare to a quad core processor. Most people buy it simple for the price (Which isnt much of a difference).

#13 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

1. Mac's are about 9000x times more expensive, use proprietary hardware, very hard/expensive to upgrade, not good for gaming, etc

What are you talking about? Show me a 8 cent computer, "proprietary hardware" a mac uses, and why they are not good for gaming.
That statement is completely invalid without real facts.

#14 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

Wow this thread is sickening to me. Seriously SackSlapped, you don't seem to know ANYTHING whatsoever from what you've displayed so far, so it may be best for you to stop helping people concerning computer hardware.

Stuff

In a Crysis benchmark, the Intel i7 showed an entire 3 more average fps over a Dual core with the same exact video card. :p.

What are you talking about? Show me a 8 cent computer, "proprietary hardware" a mac uses, and why they are not good for gaming.

The 9000x was an hyperbole, its more like 2x-3x, which I can easily prove.

The proprietary hardware is what they "claim". Its proprietary because the Mac OSX refuses all hardware except ones that apple makes you pay 3x for, and if you where to put mac on another computer, you get sued for breaking their copyright...They are horrible for gaming because there is 1% of the number of games for macs that there is for Windows. If your going to "game" on a mac, your playing almost nothing.

#15 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

I was looking at the core 2 quad 8200 but for an extra 120 bucks the core i7 920 is definately better.

If I end up doing this i'll probably save the video card for later because I can only save up so much money each month.

Does the motherboard really matter and should I get 2x2g ram? I definately need to learn more about motherboards.

#16 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

I don't know why you want to bully people around that happen to be RIGHT, when you yourself have no facts, and have presented no knowledge yourself. I've built / worked on comps with my Dad since I was a little kid (5 years old, already good at comps). I own (and built) 7 computers currently, 6 of them are high end. I don't happen to be a total idiot. As iargue said, Mac parts are for Mac's ONLY, and they cost much more. For example its extremely hard to find a video card for a MAC compared to finding one for a PC, and finding one for a MAC costs WAY more, so I don't know where you got your ideas from. They aren't good for gaming, OBVIOUSLY because no games are coded to run on Mac. It couldn't be more well known that gaming is a strong point of buying a PC.

I was looking at the core 2 quad 8200 but for an extra 120 bucks the core i7 920 is definately better.

If I end up doing this i'll probably save the video card for later because I can only save up so much money each month.

Does the motherboard really matter and should I get 2x2g ram? I definately need to learn more about motherboards.

Remember, a Q8200 and a i7 920 use COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOCKETS. There are NOT interchangable with each other. Q8200 uses LGA775 socket, i7 uses the newer, Socket 1366

Motherboard matters a bit. First, you need to make sure your ram and CPU are compatible with the motherboard you're purchasing. If everything is compatible, that's all that TRULY matters. If overclocking is important to you, then the motherboard matters A LOT and we will need to discuss it more to figure out which motherboard is best for you.

For ram, I'd use either 2x2GB, 3x1GB triple channel, or 3x2GB triple channel, depending on your setup and your budget $.

When using Windows 7, all programs that you use will automatically use all cores (This is because windows itself handles the opimization, rather then the program having to). So a dual core processor with faster cores doesnt compare to a quad core processor. Most people buy it simple for the price (Which isnt much of a difference).

This quote really got me thinking, as I know it didn't sound 100% right to me. I have made a thread on the forums to get a better answer for it. My current understanding is that it depends on the application, and there are situations where the higher clocked dual will win, but this is becoming less true day by day as multicore/thread support is increased.

http://forums.extrem...ad.php?t=335388

From the thread:

Like all other hardware questions, hardware needs are determined by software needs. At this point, a limited number of programs implement algorithms that are run in parallel. Some of this is because the algorithms are serial in nature, and some is because they have not been converted. The simple answer is that a quad will be faster than a dual where the work load can be subdivided and processed simultaneously, which is a very small majority at this point.

Multitasking is another question altogether. If you run several CPU intensive apps at the same time, the more cores the better. Just ask a server the next time you are talking to one.

Fort straight up gaming, I think a overclocked dual will be better, but there are some exceptions in games like crysis and flight sim.

#17 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

damn there are too many factors. I was originally just looking between core 2 duo 8400e 3.0Ghz and the core 2 quad 8200 2.33Ghz

If I was going to go with a core i7 920 instead for the uses in the future more likely I would want to be able to overclock but is it really going to be necessary? If I only do some gaming(not hardcore) the video card would matter more for my fps(i'd think) and I do not really care if I have to downgrade the graphics a bit. It would be nice to be able to play new games at full settings since I would have purchased a new comp but not necessary.

Would it be worth waiting a bit for better prices on video cards and even processors? Just wondering if there are any really sweet ones out now that would be amazing if their prices weren't so high.

I do not know when I will be buying. Probably in the next 3 months so reccomendations don't need to be the best deal today but maybe in a couple months time.

#18 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

Would it be worth waiting a bit for better prices on video cards and even processors? Just wondering if there are any really sweet ones out now that would be amazing if their prices weren't so high.

I think that dx11 cards are coming out soon which will result in a price drop in other cards. or something like that
idunno much though

#19 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

damn there are too many factors. I was originally just looking between core 2 duo 8400e 3.0Ghz and the core 2 quad 8200 2.33Ghz

If I was going to go with a core i7 920 instead for the uses in the future more likely I would want to be able to overclock but is it really going to be necessary? If I only do some gaming(not hardcore) the video card would matter more for my fps(i'd think) and I do not really care if I have to downgrade the graphics a bit. It would be nice to be able to play new games at full settings since I would have purchased a new comp but not necessary.

I do not know when I will be buying. Probably in the next 3 months so reccomendations don't need to be the best deal today but maybe in a couple months time.

Should wait until right before you're ready to buy to create a parts list. Recommendations for what the best buy would be, changes VERY frequently. Asking questions even a few weeks ahead can sometimes be completely worthless in the end. Waiting more than a couple weeks for hardware to come out is generally considered dumb, as something new is always being announced, and you'll end up playing the waiting game for eternity.

Personally I wouldn't choose either of them, but E8400 vs Q8200 is a hard decision. Q8200 is regarded as one of Intel's worst released quad cores to date, due to its very small L2 cache size. If you're more multi-tasking based, I'd maybe get the Q8200. If you're gaming, I may get the E8400. Optimally I wouldn't pick either of those CPU's though.

For video cards, the NDA (Non-disclosure agreement, which forces reviewers to stay quiet about an upcoming released product until a certain date) for Nvidia's new Fermi core GPU's has ended, meaning Nvidia will release a new line of video cards any time now. I'd wait for this to happen to make a better decision of what to get.

Nvidia's new GF100 cards that are about to be released are the first NV cards to support DX11. They'll be competing with ATI's 5000 series which has already been out for a while, but I'm sure the Nvidia will win in performance, but for more of a price.

#20 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

thats good to know. I've been looking for a while and the prices do seem to fluctuate quite a bit. It is computer I guess. I'll wait more till when i'm ready to buy before piecing it up since i'll be buying all the part separately since I can never find a computer in a store that I actually like.

#21 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

I'll wait more till when i'm ready to buy before piecing it up since i'll be buying all the part separately since I can never find a computer in a store that I actually like.

I hope you mean buying all the parts separately, but at ONE TIME.

Buying parts piece by piece, week by week is the worst decision that can ever be made. Make sure to wait till you have all of the money saved up at once, then order what you like.

I believe your intentions were correct, just making sure that you don't buy the parts over a long span of time, as by the time you buy the last part you need, the first part you bought will be half the price as when you bought it.

--NEVER buy computer hardware at a store. You'll be getting MAJORLY ripped off. Always buy comp hardware online, at a respected online store. Newegg is great (if you're in US or Canada), highly respectable and usually can compete price wise with other online stores, but they're not always the cheapest anymore.

#22 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:01 PM

yeah it is probably going to be between newegg and ncix. If it wasn't for my damn school I'd have more then enough money but I have to pay that off first. I'll end up getting it all at once and shipped together. the only thing I was considering on buying after is the vid card

#23 Fatal

Fatal
  • 3625 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

yeah it is probably going to be between newegg and ncix. If it wasn't for my damn school I'd have more then enough money but I have to pay that off first. I'll end up getting it all at once and shipped together. the only thing I was considering on buying after is the vid card

Sounds good. The reason why buying a video card later would be dumb is that, decent/high end motherboards don't have onboard video, so it would be pointless to have all the other parts except the video card as everything would be useless until you got one.

#24 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

Fatal's been posting in the hardware/software section of this forum longer than I remember, so I think he knows his stuff. :p I'll probably go to him for questions whenever I decide to get a new computer, haha.

#25 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

Yeah I definately learned a lot. Thanks for the help! I'll have to necro this thread in a couple of months :p

or maybe you guys can just fight over what is better macs/pc until i'm ready to buy.

Edited by unworthy, 18 January 2010 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users