Gay Marriage

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#126 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

I was referring to the church, as its members as well, though I should have made that clear.

To be honest, I'm pro gay marriage, I just can't understand how people can be so horribly offended by the exact same rights, just put under a different name.

No one's rights would be infringed.
Currently, "Gay people can't get married."
Hopefully, "Gay people can get married, in any institution that is acceptable to both parties."
Never, "Gay people can get married, wherever they like."

Because it's not just about the rights.

If someone offered you a job in the USA, working with a team of other people, but your job had to have a different title because you were Canadian, would you be offended?
What if everyone in the company got to put some letters after their name, except you, even though you were doing the exact same thing?

#127 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

You're clearly inconsolable on the issue, so I fail to see why you'd debate about it in the first place. But go ahead, stomp on the rights of churches, because their rights are obviously less important than gay peoples rights.

I explained that in no way would gay marriage infringe on the rights of churches. The US government doesn't force catholic churches to marry divorced people even though divorces are legal. So there is nothing but pride on churches being hurt and heck the bible says pride is a sin..Posted Image

Did you read my posts?

a) marriage is a legal contract
b) love and religion came into marriage much later
c) the USA is a secular country
d) its against the law to discriminate or commit hate crimes against gay people.
e) separate is never equal, the USA has tons of history to prove we have to go 100% in or it doesn't work

#128 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

I was referring to the church, as its members as well, though I should have made that clear.

To be honest, I'm pro gay marriage, I just can't understand how people can be so horribly offended by the exact same rights, just put under a different name.

They don't have the right.... that would be why.

#129 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

I explained that in no way would gay marriage infringe on the rights of churches. The US government doesn't force catholic churches to marry divorced people even though divorces are legal. So there is nothing but pride on churches being hurt and heck the bible says pride is a sin..Posted Image

Did you read my posts?

a) marriage is a legal contract
b) love and religion came into marriage much later
c) the USA is a secular country
d) its against the law to discriminate or commit hate crimes against gay people.
e) separate is never equal, the USA has tons of history to prove we have to go 100% in or it doesn't work

a)Legal contracts are subject to conditions and rules?
b)Religion started marriage...
c)And if you view this as a legal issue, relgion doesnt matter in the governments stance.
d)Its not against the law to not provide a legal contract to people based on certain criteria
e)Seperate can be equal, as long as its done correctly.

#130 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

No one's rights would be infringed.
Currently, "Gay people can't get married."
Hopefully, "Gay people can get married, in any institution that is acceptable to both parties."
Never, "Gay people can get married, wherever they like."

Because it's not just about the rights.

If someone offered you a job in the USA, working with a team of other people, but your job had to have a different title because you were Canadian, would you be offended?
What if everyone in the company got to put some letters after their name, except you, even though you were doing the exact same thing?

"Gay people can get married, in any institution that is acceptable to both parties." I'm just looking for clarification. Are you referring to both parties as in the two being married, or the couple and the institution? That's something I can agree with though.

And no, I wouldn't be offended, because I don't get bothered by nonsense. If I was offered less wages or less benefits, I would be offended. Fortunately, civil unions grant the same privileges.

And chobitz, different but equal was always a phrase used to justify some mistreatment or another of a minority. Granting gay couples the opportunity to have the exact same privileges as a married couple and a legally recognized union is not mistreatment.

#131 RaeveN

RaeveN
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

One day when EVERYONE is gay and the human population dies people will look back and say "Hey that Adam guy from neocodex.us was smart, let's stop being gay."

-troll-

Not sure if you new this or not.. gay people are gay... not broken. they still can have children. :) you know just trowing it out there.. cus uh. i know ALOT of gay parents ... and they mothered/fathered their own children. yep... everything still works right.

#132 bigtymerz05

bigtymerz05
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

GAY MARRIAGE why not right? Well i don't really care hahah but its awesome to see two lovers same gender like girl to girl awesome!!!! LOLZ. I heard Obama is going to make gay people legible to join the military.

#133 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Not sure if you new this or not.. gay people are gay... not broken. they still can have children. :) you know just trowing it out there.. cus uh. i know ALOT of gay parents ... and they mothered/fathered their own children. yep... everything still works right.

Hence the -troll- at the end. Yes I know this, is it just grand that they are parents? Yes more power to them. Should they be married No. Should they be allowed a civil union, get the same amount of benefits as married couples, yes.

#134 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

GAY MARRIAGE why not right? Well i don't really care hahah but its awesome to see two lovers same gender like girl to girl awesome!!!! LOLZ. I heard Obama is going to make gay people legible to join the military.

That would be an AMAZING accomplishment, given that they already can....

Kinda reproductive impossible for a male to get a male pregnant, or for a female to get a female pregnant?

#135 RaeveN

RaeveN
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hence the -troll- at the end. Yes I know this, is it just grand that they are parents? Yes more power to them. Should they be married No. Should they be allowed a civil union, get the same amount of benefits as married couples, yes.

:argh:

ah.. but see.. they aren't.. states like mine are ruling out the civil union. which takes away the rights of not only gays.. but anyone who falls under this particular classification..ie. domestic partners ( hetero) common law partnerships, and anyone else who have lived/partnered together for many years without the title of marriage.

To which many don't want the be united under the banner of god, nor state. But these individuals for what ever reason they chose not to enter the sanctity of marriage ( some for financial reasons like former spouse pension) lose the right to visit their partner in time of sickness, cover their partner on insurance, leave any security such as life insurance, to thier loved ones and children.

Many lose sentimental and legal rights over the death of such partners, where no family is to be heard of. Where everything they had, would be left to their significant other. Now the state has rights over. after 50/60 years with this person it can all be taken away in the blink of an eye.. all because people... like you think that "gay" is ruining the sanctity of marriage. What about those who dont fall under such classification. and have the vote for even something like civil union taken away. And for what. an ignorance that civil union means gay partnership. It means any kind of partnership that is not legally marriage. It's people like you who have robbed these people of there homes... there rightful belongings and memories. and the chance to say good buy to the people whom they loved. weather they were the same sex or not.

so if "gay" ruins the sanctity of marriage, i ask.. what ruins the sanctity of human compassion?

#136 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

so if "gay" ruins the sanctity of marriage, i ask.. what ruins the sanctity of human compassion?

again, gays.

#137 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

b)Religion started marriage...

It really didn't...marriage pre-dates the time when religion accepted it by ~2000-3000 years.

#138 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:30 AM

:argh:

I had to delete some of that, my iPhone didn't show it all in the reply.

Whatever these stupid peoples reasons for not wanting to be married under God are, they should just get over it. If you don't believe in God then don't worry about it.
As said by the Nike Corp. "just do it. "

You're right I'm ruining the gay peoples lives, I won't bother in the least bit saying it's okay to be gay. FUCK THE GAY COMMUNITY(with a condom of course, you don't want aids).

Edited by Adam, 24 February 2010 - 05:34 AM.

#139 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

Whatever these stupid peoples reasons for not wanting to be married under God are, they should just get over it. If you don't believe in God then don't worry about it.
As said by the Nike Corp. "just do it. "

You're right I'm ruining the gay peoples lives, I won't bother in the least bit saying it's okay to be gay. FUCK THE GAY COMMUNITY(with a condom of course, you don't want aids).

That's a relief.
Nothing is more annoying than someone who says, "IMO I don't care if you're gay, that's great everyone is entitled to love someone. Not that I'm classifying gay couples as 'lower' then straight." when they don't really mean it. At least now you admit you are a bigot and a homophobe.

I personally believe that being genuinely hateful is the wrong way to go about anything in our lives.
If someone doesn't believe in God, that doesn't make them stupid.
If someone believes in God, that doesn't make them stupid.
It's people's decisions and words which are often influnenced by their beliefs that ultimately tell us how stupid everyone is.
Just like your words, which have been very telling in this debate.

#140 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

It really didn't...marriage pre-dates the time when religion accepted it by ~2000-3000 years.

Actually early hinduism started using religious ceremonies which incorporated a form of marriage around 2,000-3000 years ago.

#141 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Actually early hinduism started using religious ceremonies which incorporated a form of marriage around 2,000-3000 years ago.

Which is still 1000-2000 years after marriage is thought to have originated in Mesopotamia.

#142 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

"Gay people can get married, in any institution that is acceptable to both parties." I'm just looking for clarification. Are you referring to both parties as in the two being married, or the couple and the institution? That's something I can agree with though.

The couple and the institution, yes.

And no, I wouldn't be offended, because I don't get bothered by nonsense. If I was offered less wages or less benefits, I would be offended. Fortunately, civil unions grant the same privileges.

Fair enough. Not everyone is willing to take that, though :p

And chobitz, different but equal was always a phrase used to justify some mistreatment or another of a minority. Granting gay couples the opportunity to have the exact same privileges as a married couple and a legally recognized union is not mistreatment.

If they are exactly the same, then there is no reason to give them different names unless the goal is intentional segregation. Which is mistreatment.

Kinda reproductive impossible for a male to get a male pregnant, or for a female to get a female pregnant?

*cough*Science*cough*

#143 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

*cough*Science*cough*

Yep two women can have children using science. They can take the egg of one woman and insert the DNA of the second woman. This tricks the egg into thinking the second DNA strand is from sperm. They have done this in labs and the egg splits , going through all the motions of a normally fertilized egg.

BUT even with a hollowed out ovum, DNA extracted from two different spermatozoa cannot replicate a fertilized egg.

Granted the woman/woman ovum would always be female as spermatozoa determine sex of the child.

#144 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Yep two women can have children using science. They can take the egg of one woman and insert the DNA of the second woman. This tricks the egg into thinking the second DNA strand is from sperm. They have done this in labs and the egg splits , going through all the motions of a normally fertilized egg.

BUT even with a hollowed out ovum, DNA extracted from two different spermatozoa cannot replicate a fertilized egg.

Granted the woman/woman ovum would always be female as spermatozoa determine sex of the child.

Actually, two spermatozoa could produce a fertilised egg in theory, since they can either have an X chromosome or a Y chromosome. Only a YY cross would be unviable.

It would be a far more complex procedure than a female-only cross.

#145 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Actually, two spermatozoa could produce a fertilised egg in theory, since they can either have an X chromosome or a Y chromosome. Only a YY cross would be unviable.

It would be a far more complex procedure than a female-only cross.

There is also something a little bit easier. Its called a sperm bank. Just cuz everyone might turn gay doesn't mean guys can't masturbate into a cup.

#146 Barracuda

Barracuda
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

I have not read the whole discussion but felt I had to put my 2 cents in

I feel everyone should have equal rights, gay, straight, male, female.
but also people should respect different cultures and believes. as long as it does not impose on human rights.

I have friends who rant and rave over women who "have to" wear scarf's and burkas. But I also know women who like wearing it to show their culture roots and believes. they are not forced, it is a choice.

A personal choice that does not harm other humans or animals is just that,
Their personal choice.

I would not like it if anyone forced me to separate from my partner of 10 years because we don't belong to the same religion and are not "legally" married. (something I think you all call Danish law wedding)

I feel it is not right to be disgusted and publicly humiliate or protest something in a violent manner that is not in any way harmful.
I Feel it is the Christian thing to welcome all, love all equally and if something deeply bothers you about someone, educate yourself on the matter and discuss it rationally.
If it continues to bother you. Let it go.

Life is not worth wasting it on something that is harmless.
Breathe deep, look at the beauty in life, be thankful for those precious moments we get in our short life.

Don't let others people actions ruin your life.

And yes, I speak from experience. it is hard, but it will make your life fuller and more meaningful.

ok rant over, now back to my movie. lol

Edited by Barracuda, 24 February 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#147 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

You're right I hate everyone, even my own race. I will run away from gay people because they just might try to suck on my TALALALALA. Oh and to troll some more, gay women are okay as long as their hot. Gay men GTFO.

Edited by Adam, 24 February 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#148 Barracuda

Barracuda
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

I have been looking around this site for rules on conduct, what is allowed to say and what not. I could not find any so I will say what I want :funone:

Adam, You obviously have never talked to a Yaoi fan, whom are mostly female though it is supposed to be for males.
the fascination for a gender of being with 2 persons of a different gender is not only a male thing.

and sugar I am not being disrespectful to your post. I just have my little quirks and enjoy them.

#149 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

I have been looking around this site for rules on conduct, what is allowed to say and what not. I could not find any so I will say what I want :funone:

Adam, You obviously have never talked to a Yaoi fan, whom are mostly female though it is supposed to be for males.
the fascination for a gender of being with 2 persons of a different gender is not only a male thing.

and sugar I am not being disrespectful to your post. I just have my little quirks and enjoy them.

You're always welcome to say what you want.

#150 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

If they are exactly the same, then there is no reason to give them different names unless the goal is intentional segregation. Which is mistreatment.

No, treating people exactly the same in different circumstances is mistreatment. You wouldn't expect a person in a wheelchair to be a shelf stacker or give him jobs involving going up stairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users