Your takes on Global Warming?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

I use to think people were over exaggerating when it came to global warming but recently, I've really noticed some crazy weather.
I live in the desert where we use to get snow once every 5 years or so, but within the past 2 years we've had several major snowfalls.
It's almost April and right now, it's hailing and snowing outside. By now, it should be warming up and we usually just have thunderstorms, but we haven't had a good one in a long time.
I really, really miss them! There is nothing like a thunderstorm in the desert. D:

Do you think it's just El Nino or an effect of Global Warming? Or El Nino getting worse because of GW?
I'm curious about everyone's opinions on everything related to Global Warming from general weather changes, water levels, water temperatures, extinction due to changes, ozone layer reduction and whether or not people are doing enough to change this or at least slow it down?
What do you think the major cause for concern is and what should we be attempting to fix first?
Would any of you be willing to sacrifice some things or even go green? Or do you think green people are just crazy? Would you trade your truck in for a hybrid or electric car?

I know being Green isn't all about Global Warming but other things such as reducing waste production, but it's all linked, isn't it?

Posted Image
It's time to stop acting locally and start thinking gloooooooobally.

#2 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

My thoughts? It's not warm enough. :<

#3 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

My thoughts? It's not warm enough. :<

Supposedly, the average temperatures are rising.
But where I live, it's been nothing but cold. -_-
Global Cooling.

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Supposedly, the average temperatures are rising.
But where I live, it's been nothing but cold. -_-
Global Cooling.

Dawn of the new Ice Age, get your Space Heaters ready.

#5 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

I bought Snuggies for everyone in my family including my cats.
I guess I should amp it up, huh?

#6 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

It's all a giant conspiracy, aimed to put pressure on China to lower its economic footprint, which would seriously kill its economy.

Bloody Americans.

#7 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

It's all a giant conspiracy, aimed to put pressure on China to lower its economic footprint, which would seriously kill its economy.

Bloody Americans.

So its nothing but a hidden agenda in your opinion?

#8 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

I don't know what I think. I haven't been following it at all. I know it's getting colder down here in the south (oklahoma!) but nothing major, two great snowfalls (one on christmasday (great gift for little one)) but other than that, I don't know.
Polution has been an issue for as long as I myself can remember and I'm 22. So we've had 22 years to do something about it, if we really cared then why did we wait until it started to get so bad before we began to try to fix it.
I can live without television, I don't have to go to town everyday and if I did then I can always carpool, I prefer to read than play video games and so I would be alright without electricity. As long as I have a way to have hot water (for the winter) heating, and a way to eat my food, I'm great. I can always go without internet, I've done it before.

#9 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

I don't know what I think. I haven't been following it at all. I know it's getting colder down here in the south (oklahoma!) but nothing major, two great snowfalls (one on christmasday (great gift for little one)) but other than that, I don't know.
Polution has been an issue for as long as I myself can remember and I'm 22. So we've had 22 years to do something about it, if we really cared then why did we wait until it started to get so bad before we began to try to fix it.
I can live without television, I don't have to go to town everyday and if I did then I can always carpool, I prefer to read than play video games and so I would be alright without electricity. As long as I have a way to have hot water (for the winter) heating, and a way to eat my food, I'm great. I can always go without internet, I've done it before.

The world has been noticing environmental issues since the 60s and possibly before.
Small changes have been made, but not on a radical or mass scale. The EPA was created in the 70s to start alleviating and regulating some issues, so there was enough noise from people then. Environmental concern has always been there, its just on a much grander scale these days. It's reached the general, unnoticing public because of what a mass emergency it will become for future generations, therefore more people are trying to help. This second, it's not a massive concern. This generation more than likely wont see any effects. People do care, it's just that they don't know how to start and don't speak up about it to even begin helping.
As for not noticing people trying to make a difference in pollution, why do you think theres been such a race to create hybrids and electric cars? Different fuel sources?
Have you not noticed a massive rise in solar power everywhere?
Did you not experience the massive recycle boom not to long ago?
How can you be 22 and not notice any of this?
I can understand older people and children not caring, but the inbetween?

#10 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Posted Image

#11 manophear

manophear
  • 402 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

I don't really care too much. I look at it from cause and effect.

In the 1980s Canada and the U.S. had problems with acid rain. Boom, a treaty got signed and it was no longer a problem.

In the 1970s and 1980s CFCs were a problem with the ozone layer. Boom, a treaty got signed and stuff was actually done.

In the 1990s and 2000s, climate change/global warming was supposedly a problem. I know lots of people don't like government, but I think if it were really as big a problem as it's made out to be governments would have leaped on the problem and made actual efforts in counteracting it a long time ago.

Something most people don't realise about why the U.S. never signed Kyoto is the retroactive date on cutting carbon emissions: 1990. This was when a recession started throughout most of the developed world. In Europe, when a recession starts, they cut back on fuel use, but the countries are tightly interlinked, so the overall fluctuation was minimal. In the U.S., when it has a recession, fuel drop is massive, so when they recovered they would come in way over the 1990 limit.

#12 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Well the principles behind global warming are what makes your car's air hotter than the outside air on a hot day. It's not really that hard to understand that yes global warming is happening. Then people shove random numbers and shit in your face. Well, the RATE at which global warming is definitely up to debate.

People who point out the recent cold winter as a reason to doubt global warming are retarded. That's like saying just because it got warm 1 day in the middle of December, so winter doesn't exist.

As to the original post, El Nino is definitely the root for the extreme climate in the recent years. It is also pretty well documented that increased global temperatures will result in more tumultuous climate, so perhaps the situation was exacerbated by global warming.

I don't really know what I'm talking about. Weather is quite unpredictable and modern models are still often quite wrong. My weatherman is wrong around 2/3 of the time in predicting tomorrow's weather - let alone that of the next millennium.

#13 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

The world has been noticing environmental issues since the 60s and possibly before.
Small changes have been made, but not on a radical or mass scale. The EPA was created in the 70s to start alleviating and regulating some issues, so there was enough noise from people then. Environmental concern has always been there, its just on a much grander scale these days. It's reached the general, unnoticing public because of what a mass emergency it will become for future generations, therefore more people are trying to help. This second, it's not a massive concern. This generation more than likely wont see any effects. People do care, it's just that they don't know how to start and don't speak up about it to even begin helping.
As for not noticing people trying to make a difference in pollution, why do you think theres been such a race to create hybrids and electric cars? Different fuel sources?
Have you not noticed a massive rise in solar power everywhere?
Did you not experience the massive recycle boom not to long ago?
How can you be 22 and not notice any of this?
I can understand older people and children not caring, but the inbetween?

As I said, I havn't been following it. I don't watch the news very much, and no one I know does either. I don't have cable at my house (there's just nothing on that I would care to watch really) and when I visit family I never see news on unless bad weather might be on the way. If I want to watch something I normally youtube or buy the dvd from stores... So I guess you can say I'm blindfolded?

#14 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

This is as smart as I can make my opinion sound...

Like, I was watching this shooooow about dinosaurs orsumshit, and apparently the Earth goes through, you know, like, stages and shit where sometimes it's like, you know, warm, and other times, when it's not warm, sometimes it's like, you know, cold... over these really long periods of time. So, like, maybe this is, you know, the begining of menopause for the Earth. You know.

Seriously, climate change is real. Does humanity have an impact on it? How could we not? I think it's absurd to deny our industrious civilization has absolutely nothing to do with 'global warming', but I don't believe Hummers are ENTIRELY to blame.

#15 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

I think it's absurd to deny our industrious civilization has absolutely nothing to do with 'global warming', but I don't believe Hummers are ENTIRELY to blame.

Exactly. In fact, cows' gaseous outbursts are the real reasons for global warming!

#16 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

Global warming is a natural cycle dependent on the solar cycle. We can't change it without dire consequences but we can sure prepare for it. While we might be putting huge amounts of Carbon into the atomosphere we are doing this on Earth and not the other planets in our solar system also going through climate change.
Evidence:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.../20050920a.html
http://mars.jpl.nasa.../20031208a.html
http://www.nature.co...ature02470.html
http://web.mit.edu/n...2002/pluto.html
http://www.abc.net.a...07/s1697309.htm

Human caused global warming is one huge swindle aimed at taking money out of your pocket and as Alex said, put pressure on China. It has done some good though, we're looking for cleaner energy sources and more efficient ways of utilizing and distributing our energy.

#17 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

Global warming is a natural cycle dependent on the solar cycle. We can't change it without dire consequences but we can sure prepare for it. While we might be putting huge amounts of Carbon into the atomosphere we are doing this on Earth and not the other planets in our solar system also going through climate change.
Evidence:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.../20050920a.html
http://mars.jpl.nasa.../20031208a.html
http://www.nature.co...ature02470.html
http://web.mit.edu/n...2002/pluto.html
http://www.abc.net.a...07/s1697309.htm

Human caused global warming is one huge swindle aimed at taking money out of your pocket and as Alex said, put pressure on China. It has done some good though, we're looking for cleaner energy sources and more efficient ways of utilizing and distributing our energy.

Several years ago I heard of them finding technology more advanced than our own dated back to Early early BC and I got the theory that we destroyed ourselves. But maybe nature gets sick of us greedy ass humans and kills us off after she gets fed up, then after so many years allows us to be "reborn" so that we can have a 'second chance' at treating the earth as we should. We call many things leeches but if you stop to think about it, we leech off the earth so much and give it nothing back in return. I enjoy modern technology, but we're only now claiming to be responsible for it.. I think we should be more considerate of our "home" I mean would you want your house to be covered in 10feet of dust and piled so deeply with trash you can't see the floor or get around? I think not. However I don't believe it is our fault alone.. I think that sometimes.. "Shit happens"

#18 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

Several years ago I heard of them finding technology more advanced than our own dated back to Early early BC and I got the theory that we destroyed ourselves. But maybe nature gets sick of us greedy ass humans and kills us off after she gets fed up, then after so many years allows us to be "reborn" so that we can have a 'second chance' at treating the earth as we should. We call many things leeches but if you stop to think about it, we leech off the earth so much and give it nothing back in return. I enjoy modern technology, but we're only now claiming to be responsible for it.. I think we should be more considerate of our "home" I mean would you want your house to be covered in 10feet of dust and piled so deeply with trash you can't see the floor or get around? I think not. However I don't believe it is our fault alone.. I think that sometimes.. "Shit happens"

Mother nature doesn't need to kill us off. Our human nature does that. Imagine if greed was something we spoke about in the past tense. I mean one can only dream but human nature makes us greedy. We need to stop that in order to get things done and actually survive.

#19 artificial

artificial
  • 186 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Several years ago I heard of them finding technology more advanced than our own dated back to Early early BC and I got the theory that we destroyed ourselves. But maybe nature gets sick of us greedy ass humans and kills us off after she gets fed up, then after so many years allows us to be "reborn" so that we can have a 'second chance' at treating the earth as we should.

You put too much self-importance on humans. We're animals. Nature doesn't care.

And Raui, it is true that it's a natural process; nobody disputes that. The really argument lies in the fact that through our carbon emissions humans are supposedly speeding up that process.

#20 Gen

Gen
  • Ye old gen

• 1871 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hmm... Actually, El Niño only happens around December...
And yes, Global Warming might not be as much as people are saying, but here in Brazil we just had the hottest days in our history, it's been hot as hell.
In the winter at Rio de Janeiro, we were used to go to the Beach o.O, now it's been actually cold. I think that Global Warming is a wrong name, couldn't find another, but it's becoming more colder in winter and hotter at summer...
That sucks... A lot...

#21 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

You put too much self-importance on humans. We're animals. Nature doesn't care.

And Raui, it is true that it's a natural process; nobody disputes that. The really argument lies in the fact that through our carbon emissions humans are supposedly speeding up that process.

Considering Pluto's surface temperature has risen by just below 2 degrees celcius in 14 years (article was published 2002 who knows might be even hotter now). Pluto is a very far distance from the sun. Electromagnetic radiation drops it's intensity proportionally to the inverse square of the distance. So it's getting bugger all electromagnetic radiation compared to our Earth I think it's safe to say we are having very little impact. Sure we have been putting carbon in the air but the nature puts a lot more.

#22 Xwee

Xwee
  • 994 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

I guess you've got a point there, but a dog can be seen as just an animal. You give it food, and shelter (just as nature has in a way done for us) and then when the day comes that it turns on you, or become rabid.. how long does it take to rid yourself of the dog? Until you load the gun or make it to the vets office. Depends on which you do.

#23 Jiraiya

Jiraiya
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

how come its cooling in your place and not warming?hahaha..but I think Global Warming is true based on whats happening right now.

#24 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I guess you've got a point there, but a dog can be seen as just an animal. You give it food, and shelter (just as nature has in a way done for us) and then when the day comes that it turns on you, or become rabid.. how long does it take to rid yourself of the dog? Until you load the gun or make it to the vets office. Depends on which you do.

So are you saying just before say the US decides to nuke Russia mother nature would create a huge tidal wave killing everyone?

how come its cooling in your place and not warming?hahaha..but I think Global Warming is true based on whats happening right now.

We're discussing the human factor of global warming. It's very obvious it's a real thing. In fact I think the rise in the number of earthquakes is also related but I could be wrong :)

#25 Salamanda

Salamanda
  • 1000 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Hmm... Actually, El Niño only happens around December...
And yes, Global Warming might not be as much as people are saying, but here in Brazil we just had the hottest days in our history, it's been hot as hell.
In the winter at Rio de Janeiro, we were used to go to the Beach o.O, now it's been actually cold. I think that Global Warming is a wrong name, couldn't find another, but it's becoming more colder in winter and hotter at summer...
That sucks... A lot...

El Nino/La Nina happens whenever the hell it wants. There's no specific set time period (2-7 years and lasting 9 months to 2 years) and most definitely no set month.

So are you saying just before say the US decides to nuke Russia mother nature would create a huge tidal wave killing everyone?

We're discussing the human factor of global warming. It's very obvious it's a real thing. In fact I think the rise in the number of earthquakes is also related but I could be wrong :)

Ahh, another thing!
Earthquakes! We've had several 3s and 4s in the past couple of months, were way past due on a massive one. :(
Oh California.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users