Your takes on Global Warming?

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#76 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

It's also true that we are the only species out of many that has developed the ability to think as we do (I do not remember the term :o).

I'm not saying that it is probable. I'm just saying we don't know anything for sure.

I don't think we'll become extinct any time soon, but I don't think that we can rule that out as a phenomenon of 0 probability. One will obviously hope that humans evolve and adapt to meet the changes that will soon be brought about to the face of the Earth. :o

#77 StarmanSuper

StarmanSuper
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

Def things are getting intense and more direct forms of damage taking place everywhere~!

#78 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:42 AM

i dont think its global warming to be honest
more like global cooling >_<

#79 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:36 AM

The weather in new york has been fucking ridiculous lately. It went from being 50 degrees to snowing the next day and pouring yesterday.

mother nature is a bit bipolar :D

#80 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

The weather in new york has been fucking ridiculous lately. It went from being 50 degrees to snowing the next day and pouring yesterday.

mother nature is a bit bipolar :D

There's a difference between climate, and weather.

#81 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

The weather has been kind of odd around here. Really hot summers and really crazy-ass winters. However, it was similar in the 60's around these parts so it's probably nothing. It is said that the most recent volcanic eruption that happened and delayed all of those airplanes for weeks released more CO2 into the air then all of the CO2 man has put into the atmosphere since their creation XD

Global warming or not, It doesn't bug me because I know I'll be dead by the time anything ~serious~ happens. Oh yeah, I'm not having kids! Whoo ^_^

#82 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

It is said that the most recent volcanic eruption that happened and delayed all of those airplanes for weeks released more CO2 into the air then all of the CO2 man has put into the atmosphere since their creation XD

Lolwhut? No.

The eruption at Eyjafjallajökull ejected 15,000 tons of CO2. Humans produce around two billion times that amount. Every year!

Or, to put it another way, Eyjafjallajökull output the same amount of CO2 as three people do yearly. Three people.

#83 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

Look, if global warming were real, why has the penguin population of the Arctic tripled over the last 5 years?

Why has the glacier at Dôme du Goûter grown 2.6 meters in the past century?

Also, why was this winter the coldest ever recorded on Mt. Emi Koussi?

Hm?

I think that the global warming hoax will soon fall through, what with all the evidence going against it.

#84 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:49 PM

Look, if global warming were real, why has the penguin population of the Arctic tripled over the last 5 years?

Hm?

I think that the global warming hoax will soon fall through, what with all the evidence going against it.

I could probably find specific answers to these issues if I thought you were interested in actually listening.

#85 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Trying to parry the point eh? well it won't work. People's eyes are being opened to the truth as we speak. Very soon you'll see the definitive proof that this is all a scam released. Keep your eyes open compadre.

EDIT: If you can disprove these three points or even figure out a way they fit in to your Global Warming scenario- then I'll concede the point and admit you were right. Like I'll even put it in my signature: "Sweeney trounced me in a debate, he's a really cool dude", that's how confident I am that you can't disprove me.

Edited by Nunc, 26 February 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#86 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hm?

i think because global warming makes the summers extra hot and the winters extra cold?

#87 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Trying to parry the point eh? well it won't work. People's eyes are being opened to the truth as we speak. Very soon you'll see the definitive proof that this is all a scam released. Keep your eyes open compadre.

EDIT: If you can disprove these three points or even figure out a way they fit in to your Global Warming scenario- then I'll concede the point and admit you were right. Like I'll even put it in my signature: "Sweeney trounced me in a debate, he's a really cool dude", that's how confident I am that you can't disprove me.

Wonderful.
Let's see your references.

#88 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

Wonderful.
Let's see your references.

*Grabs popcorn*
This should be funny. One of you wont have a nice time today ;)

#89 Persuasion

Persuasion
  • 551 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

Def things are getting intense and more direct forms of damage taking place everywhere~!

Sadly, I don't care. Affects won't be that bad during my lifetime to see :p And honestly, we have other major problems even greater at our hands. By 2050; the worlds population will reach ~20 Billion, correct me if I'm wrong, it might be 15, butwithin the last 10 years, we've consumes as much food as all of the time until today. Meaning, at this rate, the worlds resources will be completely depleated.
-I think we need another Hitler to kill some people off xD Lol, but really. Somebody needs to die.

#90 Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

You know..just because some places have experienced record low temperatures doesn't mean Global Warming isn't happening...on AVERAGE the world is getting warmer, so if you take temperatures from around the world then you will see an increase.

#91 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

Somebody needs to die.

"somebody" dies every day

we need another plague like the black spot (i think it was called that) then we will have MASS death and the population will reduce

#92 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Sadly, I don't care. Affects won't be that bad during my lifetime to see :p And honestly, we have other major problems even greater at our hands. By 2050; the worlds population will reach ~20 Billion, correct me if I'm wrong, it might be 15, butwithin the last 10 years, we've consumes as much food as all of the time until today. Meaning, at this rate, the worlds resources will be completely depleated.
-I think we need another Hitler to kill some people off xD Lol, but really. Somebody needs to die.

These problems all have to be tackled. You can't just pick one and fuck the rest.
Your position is untenable and irresponsible.

#93 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Okay, sources.

Hm?

Penguin pop'l: http://www.athropoli...ct-penguins.htm

French Glacier: http://newsbusters.org/node/13798

Mt. Emi Koussi:

Spoiler

You see that snow? When I went there last year, I asked my Berber guide whether it was usual. He told me it had never been seen there previously.

EDIT: Yeah, look, I agree. We really need another genocide or two. Like in China or India. Preferably India.

That would greatly reduce the Earth's population. Plus the Pakis would be dying in Pakistan instead of on my couch.

Edited by Nunc, 26 February 2011 - 03:25 PM.

#94 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Okay, sources.

Penguin pop'l: http://www.athropoli...ct-penguins.htm

That page doesn't have any population info at all, but it does link to a page that says the population of Adelie penguins is growing at a rate of 1% per year, and that the population of Emperor penguins on the archipelago has been stable since 1984.
Oops?

French Glacier: http://newsbusters.org/node/13798

The Dôme du Goûter glacier is a part of a permanent ice field above a height of 4000-odd meters. At that height, precipitation is almost all solid, and adds to the mass of the glacier. Global warming is not yet severe enough to have a measurable and sustained effect at that height, although there was a heatwave in 2003 that caused surface-melt on the glacier.
For comparison, the glacier at Mer de Glace, in a similar area but at around half the elevation, has decreased by 120m between 1990 and 2005.
To summarise, you're lauding the absence of a piece of evidence that no one predicted in the first place.

Mt. Emi Koussi:

Spoiler

You see that snow? When I went there last year, I asked my Berber guide whether it was usual. He told me it had never been seen there previously.

In short, weather is not the same as climate. I believe I posted that already.
The long version, though, is that climate change predicts fluctuations like this, as ice-free seas in Siberia heat up and cause drastic alterations to the seasonal currents of both air and sea. One other interesting thing to note is that when you compare recent cold temperatures to patterns of similar atmospheric conditions such as pressure from the past, they are actually warmer than they would have been twenty or thirty years ago. In the case of Britain, which just had a rather severe winter, the difference was four degrees warmer than similar weather patterns caused in the past.
(And for the record, anecdotal evidence is not traditionally accepted in rigorous discourse).

Edit: Also, here's a funny thing. Having just looked up that photo, it's from 2002. Another oops?

#95 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

That page doesn't have any population info at all, but it does link to a page that says the population of Adelie penguins is growing at a rate of 1% per year, and that the population of Emperor penguins on the archipelago has been stable since 1984.
Oops?

Note how it says, right at the top:

Know Your Hemispheres!

Penguins DO NOT live in the Arctic.

Since penguins don't live in the Arctic, I do believe that I was correct in saying that the penguin pop'l. of the Arctic has tripled in the past 5 years. 0 * 3 = 0 after all.

The Dôme du Goûter glacier is a part of a permanent ice field above a height of 4000-odd meters. At that height, precipitation is almost all solid, and adds to the mass of the glacier. Global warming is not yet severe enough to have a measurable and sustained effect at that height, although there was a heatwave in 2003 that caused surface-melt on the glacier.
For comparison, the glacier at Mer de Glace, in a similar area but at around half the elevation, has decreased by 120m between 1990 and 2005.
To summarise, you're lauding the absence of a piece of evidence that no one predicted in the first place.

Okay, well, I'll concede that point, but that's just one glacier out of thousands in the world. Does your theory hold true for all of them? I doubt it. It's just a theory after all. That means it's someone's best guess how to explain it, it's not fact or anything.

In short, weather is not the same as climate. I believe I posted that already.
The long version, though, is that climate change predicts fluctuations like this, as ice-free seas in Siberia heat up and cause drastic alterations to the seasonal currents of both air and sea. One other interesting thing to note is that when you compare recent cold temperatures to patterns of similar atmospheric conditions such as pressure from the past, they are actually warmer than they would have been twenty or thirty years ago. In the case of Britain, which just had a rather severe winter, the difference was four degrees warmer than similar weather patterns caused in the past.
(And for the record, anecdotal evidence is not traditionally accepted in rigorous discourse).

Edit: Also, here's a funny thing. Having just looked up that photo, it's from 2002. Another oops?

Well you know what they say, you can't trust Berber tribesmen (they're non-whites)

I guess Farouq really bamboozled me, eh? That tricky guy.

Edited by Nunc, 26 February 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#96 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

There's a difference between climate, and weather.

I only wandered into this thread to see if any Brits had posted the Armstrong and Miller sketch about that. Posted Image

#97 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

Note how it says, right at the top:

Since penguins don't live in the Arctic, I do believe that I was correct in saying that the penguin pop'l. of the Arctic has tripled in the past 5 years. 0 * 3 = 0 after all.

I assumed you made a typo.
Crediting you with too much intelligence, my bad.
Of course, your same ploy can be used to (pointlessly) argue the precise opposite, so I think we'll call that null.

Okay, well, I'll concede that point, but that's just one glacier out of thousands in the world. Does your theory hold true for all of them? I doubt it. It's just a theory after all. That means it's someone's best guess how to explain it, it's not fact or anything.

One out of two.

Well you know what they say, you can't trust Berber tribesmen (they're non-whites)

I guess Farouq really bamboozled me, eh? That tricky guy.

Two out of two.

I'll await your signature edit.

#98 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Look at #3 this way:
If global warming actually predicted cooling and becolding, I highly doubt that they would've called it GLOBAL WARMING

Since there is now snow in Libya, it can be seen that the whole world is not warming equally (and you agree with me on this I see), i.e. not everywhere is getting warmer. So 'global warming' is a misnomer and thus a false theory.

Edited by Nunc, 26 February 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#99 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Look at #3 this way:
If global warming actually predicted cooling and becolding, I highly doubt that they would've called it GLOBAL WARMING

Since there is now snow in Libya, it can be seen that the whole world is not warming equally (and you agree with me on this I see), i.e. not everywhere is getting warmer. So 'global warming' is a misnomer and thus a false theory.

You mean, that's why all the scientists call it global climate change, and all the media and lobbyists call it global warming?
Not to mention the fact that the world is warming, on average. No one, but you apparently, said that everywhere was warming equally.

I guess you're weaseling out on your own proposal? Shock and surprise abound.

#100 Nunc

Nunc
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

EDIT: If you can disprove these three points or even figure out a way they fit in to your Global Warming scenario

Your takes on Global Warming?

Global warming or not, It doesn't bug me because I know I'll be dead by the time anything ~serious~ happens. Oh yeah, I'm not having kids! Whoo

I'm pretty sure that global warming is a result of the greenhouse affect which causes more extreme weather conditions

---

You mean, that's why all the scientists call it global climate change, and all the media and lobbyists call it global warming?

yes I am sure that 90% of posters on this thread including OP are 'media and lobbyists'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users